Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Per Tiger- 'Speed It Up!'

Started by 95_alum, May 15, 2012, 09:58:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

95_alum

Friggin' Na & his slow play. Can't stand 5hrs. for a round.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/tiger-woods-joins-chorus-against-slow-play/1

TV has to love the slow play. More ads, yes? Caaa Ching,

HognitiveDissonance

I walked 18 holes recently at Balboa in about three hours.

Last night I walked 18 at Burns Park Tournament course in 2.5 hours.

This is not uncommon. But I actually had someone tease me once about being a slow player. My conclusion is most people's definition of slow means whoever happens to be in front of them. If they don't get to hit EXACTLY when they want to hit, then someone is holding them up. Has to be.

But I play like Nicklaus. Trevino also thought Nicklaus played slow. He took his time over the ball. Not like Kevin Na, but he focused. Then he would walk like crazy to the next shot. That's how I play. (That's the only part of my game that compares to Nicklaus)

Botton line, if you can walk 18 in three hours, the last think you are is slow.

kingofdequeen

sorry, but i'm a four hour round guy.  that's the expected pace, and that's what i play at.  try to rush me.  i'll just slow down.

HF#1

One of my flaws is playing too fast.  I need to slow down.  Perhaps a Kevin Na mental block is in order.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawgon

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 15, 2012, 12:43:07 pm
sorry, but i'm a four hour round guy.  that's the expected pace, and that's what i play at.  try to rush me.  i'll just slow down.

You're only rushed if you want to be rushed.  Just let someone through and you won't be rushed at all.

HognitiveDissonance

It makes me nervous when the groups are tightly bunched. I admittedly will start rushing things and not play as well.
Like I said, if the group behind has to wait for any amount of time, they start getting frustrated and will inevitably start blaming the group ahead of them. Most of them are not smart enough to know whether the group ahead of them is waiting on the 'group ahead of them'...and so on. All they know is they're being held up by those yo-yos ahead of them.
All the more reason that my ideal round of golf is later in the day when the crowds have dispersed a bit. I like the evening shadows, the birds and wildlife beginning to stir,  and the relaxed pace.

kingofdequeen

May 15, 2012, 01:21:17 pm #6 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:23:31 pm by kingofdequeen
Quote from: Hawgon on May 15, 2012, 01:03:47 pm
You're only rushed if you want to be rushed.  Just let someone through and you won't be rushed at all.

depending on the time of day and pace of play on the golf course....i will.

if there's not a hole/hole and a half in front of me...then no way. i don't want to look at your butt any more than you want to look at mine.

"Superfast" players will inevitably hurt the pace of each and every group they go through.  If you wanna set a speed record, get out early.  no one will hold you up when you're dew busting.

billcollector

i hate slow play... i also hate the guy that immediately after follow through let's go of the club in disgust - his digust only being due to trying to hit a shot he is not capable of. 

back on topic.. the regular group i play with with various handicaps, we tour HCC in under 4 hours every weekend.  4 hours is the ideal pace for me, as usually includes a 20 minute stop at the turn to fill up the cooler.

Hawgon

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 15, 2012, 01:21:17 pm
depending on the time of day and pace of play on the golf course....i will.

if there's not a hole/hole and a half in front of me...then no way. i don't want to look at your butt any more than you want to look at mine.

"Superfast" players will inevitably hurt the pace of each and every group they go through.  If you wanna set a speed record, get out early.  no one will hold you up when you're dew busting.

I don't figure you'll have much trouble finding a hole and half between you and the next group.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgon on May 15, 2012, 01:28:21 pm
I don't figure you'll have much trouble finding a hole and half between you and the next group.

BETWEEN us.  not IN the groups themselves.  We run 4 or 5 deep on those.

Hawgon

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 15, 2012, 01:29:26 pm
BETWEEN us.  not IN the groups themselves.  We run 4 or 5 deep on those.

You're not making sense.  You said you won't let someone through if there is not a hole and half ahead of you...would that not be between you and the next group?

Hawgndaaz

nothing slows down play like twosomes on a weekend. drives me nuts. What really slows down play is folks on the green that don't look at their putt til it is their shot. I want to flay every person that does this.

BC, A friend of mine told me, "amateurs throw clubs, pros drop them". What he still hasn't explained is what class of player roars like a bear when he misses a 5 foot putt, causing everyone on the course to stare at our group. Maybe he'll chime in. he often lurks in this forum.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgon on May 15, 2012, 01:32:14 pm
You're not making sense.  You said you won't let someone through if there is not a hole and half ahead of you...would that not be between you and the next group?

OH..  i thought you were inferring that I was an A-Hole.  which is accurate.  as are most my friends.

Hawgon

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 15, 2012, 01:36:33 pm
OH..  i thought you were inferring that I was an A-Hole.  which is accurate.  as are most my friends.

You mean "imply" of course and there was no reason to do that as that it was a given.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 15, 2012, 01:33:18 pm
nothing slows down play like twosomes on a weekend. drives me nuts. What really slows down play is folks on the green that don't look at their putt til it is their shot. I want to flay every person that does this.

BC, A friend of mine told me, "amateurs throw clubs, pros drop them". What he still hasn't explained is what class of player roars like a bear when he misses a 5 foot putt, causing everyone on the course to stare at our group. Maybe he'll chime in. he often lurks in this forum.

i scream like a crazy person.  who roars like a bear?

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgon on May 15, 2012, 01:38:01 pm
You mean "imply" of course and there was no reason to do that as that it was a given.

thanks for the synonym, i guess?

billcollector

to an extent i am guilty of your first statement, but i am working to correct it.. just hard with my regular game since i am usually in charge of removing the flag, telling everyone whose turn it is, and then also returning the flag.. its comical actually.

im curious who you speak of... i generally like the guy that gets upset over a missed putt, cause it generally means i have put some cash in my pocket.

kingofdequeen

check that, just learned something.

Hawgon

QuoteBC, A friend of mine told me, "amateurs throw clubs, pros drop them". What he still hasn't explained is what class of player roars like a bear when he misses a 5 foot putt, causing everyone on the course to stare at our group. Maybe he'll chime in. he often lurks in this forum.

Some arsehat did that the other day right in the middle of my stroke and caused me to nearly yank MY five footer off the green as I was putting 50 yards away on another green.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgon on May 15, 2012, 01:43:47 pm
Some arsehat did that the other day right in the middle of my stroke and caused me to nearly yank MY five footer off the green as I was putting 50 yards away on another green.

my bad, dude.

Jackrabbit Hog

What really slows down play is folks on the green that don't look at their putt til it is their shot. I want to flay every person that does this.

^^^^^^^This.   Also, watching Na this weekend going through is demon-possessed tee box routine, I got to wondering why players with reputations for being slow (Na, Crane, W.Simpson, etc.) don't go to their ball in the fairway and, if there's a player in their group hitting before them, go ahead and start their pre-shot routine before the other player actually hits.  I understand you can't do that if you're standing in front of the other guy or in his line of sight, but if you're on the other side of the fairway from him, go ahead and get your pre-shot stuff done so that as soon as he hits you're ready to hit too.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

kingofdequeen

there's something wrong w/ Na. 

but, he was slow as xmas before the mental thing.  now he gets sympathy for some reason.  Fantastic PR move by him and his people.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: billcollector on May 15, 2012, 01:40:19 pm
to an extent i am guilty of your first statement, but i am working to correct it.. just hard with my regular game since i am usually in charge of removing the flag, telling everyone whose turn it is, and then also returning the flag.. its comical actually.

im curious who you speak of... i generally like the guy that gets upset over a missed putt, cause it generally means i have put some cash in my pocket.

He claims to be royalty of the DeQueen precinct.

he yelled on #7 at cv a few weeks ago. Dudes on both fairways and 15 green both stopped in their tracks. sounded like the incredible hulk.

he also did it at Morrilton on one of those stupid par 4s. thought he was turning into a werewolf.

billcollector

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 15, 2012, 01:45:45 pm
He claims to be royalty of the DeQueen precinct.

he yelled on #7 at cv a few weeks ago. Dudes on both fairways and 15 green both stopped in their tracks. sounded like the incredible hulk.

he also did it at Morrilton on one of those stupid par 4s. thought he was turning into a werewolf.
i will be sure and keep my ears open this weekend for such roars as you say... i do like to hear a good MFER on the golf course from a group 4 holes away.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: billcollector on May 15, 2012, 01:47:16 pm
i will be sure and keep my ears open this weekend for such roars as you say... i do like to hear a good MFER on the golf course from a group 4 holes away.

So, mom wanted to watch me and brother play Sunday for mother's day (great idea btw). Shoulda seen the look on her face when I called my ball a whore after it rimmed out.

billcollector

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 15, 2012, 02:00:37 pm
So, mom wanted to watch me and brother play Sunday for mother's day (great idea btw). Shoulda seen the look on her face when I called my ball a whore after it rimmed out.

outstanding mother's day present if you ask me... did she keep your stats?  i never was much of junior asga player but my little brother was.  my mom would take him all over the state playing, and keep every stat like she did with the box score from my baseball playing days.

Hawgon

Quote from: billcollector on May 15, 2012, 02:47:33 pm
outstanding mother's day present if you ask me... did she keep your stats?  i never was much of junior asga player but my little brother was.  my mom would take him all over the state playing, and keep every stat like she did with the box score from my baseball playing days.

Sure she did.  He averaged one "Motherfricker" and one "whore" per hole until the tricky 15th when he dropped three F-bombs.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgon on May 15, 2012, 02:50:32 pm
Sure she did.  He averaged one "Motherfricker" and one "whore" per hole until the tricky 15th when he dropped three F-bombs.

you've never met BC Jr.  if you heard him say MFer and Whore 36 times, and F 3 times...you've heard him speak more words than just about anybody not named BC.

Hawgon

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 15, 2012, 03:16:30 pm
you've never met BC Jr.  if you heard him say MFer and Whore 36 times, and F 3 times...you've heard him speak more words than just about anybody not named BC.

Read the thread.  We're talking about Hawgndaaz.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgon on May 15, 2012, 03:19:51 pm

OH you mean the post to which you replied? 

Quit being so antsy to call me on something. 

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: billcollector on May 15, 2012, 02:47:33 pm

it was her idea. she said she'd never watched us play golf so she wanted to ride around and drink sunday. she made it 27 holes too. my favorite comment all day.. keep in mind she knows nothing about golf.

11th teebox (dogleg left) after I hit it dead straight:

"why didn't you hit it left on this hole, you've been hitting it left all day anyway"

billcollector

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 15, 2012, 03:43:16 pm
it was her idea. she said she'd never watched us play golf so she wanted to ride around and drink sunday. she made it 27 holes too. my favorite comment all day.. keep in mind she knows nothing about golf.

"why didn't you hit it left on this hole, you've been hitting it left all day anyway"

Priceless!

Hawgon

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 15, 2012, 03:30:38 pm
OH you mean the post to which you replied? 

Quit being so antsy to call me on something. 

Me, antsy?  I was just remarking that I was talking about someone other than who you thought.

Pulled(PP)pork

you would think pro's who actually hit it where intended could play a touch faster....one would think

Pulled out...

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hawgon on May 15, 2012, 03:19:51 pm
just bust out the Iron Butterfly for Hawgndaaz......Inagaddadavida means simply In The Garden Of Eden and we all know how religious ol' Hawgndaaz is
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Wildhog

Slow play really pissed me off today.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

userpick

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 15, 2012, 03:43:16 pm

Played in a Heartland(?) Tour pro-am a decade or so ago in Marshall, TX.  Four amateurs in our group paired with Mouse Brunner and Jim Pinkham.  All of us (amateurs) stunk that day and as the round wore on the fades turned to plain ol' slices.

About 16 holes into it we get to a par four that is a very sharp dogleg right, with the dogleg starting only about 180 from the tee.  One of the pros, Pinkham, walks up to the tee, takes a look, and says, "I don't want to see any of you jokers even THINK about doing something extra to TRY to fade one around that dogleg."