Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sleep Apnea and the CPAP

Started by Piggfoot, October 13, 2016, 06:32:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Falling asleep during random daytime hours may not be a laughing matter. Coach Beliema certainly has the body type for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. (OSA)
. I thought my "nodding off" was because I am a burn the candle at both ends person.
A sleep study showed I was having OSA.
A C-Pap machine has saved my live restoring my energy.
If CB is nodding frequently someone should suggest a study for him.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

LRrazorback

onebadrubi

So because you read this is another thread on here you needed to make your own about it?

jgphillips3

I would say this is a slightly different take on the issue...not just a regurgitation thread.

jkstock04

Great idea for another thread.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Then again...why not? It's not like there is any other discussion going on these days. This place has taken a major nosedive.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogFansReunited

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2016, 08:32:44 am
Then again...why not? It's not like there is any other discussion going on these days. This place has taken a major nosedive.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 13, 2016, 06:32:42 am
Falling asleep during random daytime hours may not be a laughing matter. Coach Beliema certainly has the body type for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. (OSA)
. I thought my "nodding off" was because I am a burn the candle at both ends person.
A sleep study showed I was having OSA.
A C-Pap machine has saved my live restoring my energy.
If CB is nodding frequently someone should suggest a study for him.

My alertness score was laughably bad. It was so bad, the doctor asked me to stop driving.

Stop. Driving.

He was convinced that I would fall asleep at a stop sign or intersection, or while driving in a monotonous stretch such as the Caldecott Tunnel. All I needed were a few seconds, he said.

My sleep study showed I had 200 sleep disruptions per hour.

For years, docs tried to treat my focus issues with drugs, but it turned out to be OSA. Have been on CPAP since 2010. It is a lifesaver.
[CENSORED]!

longpig

Great, an invite for Hogvillians' personal struggles with obesity related illness stories.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hogcard1964

Sir Oinksalot

...the CPap became popular several years ago. Seemed like several ex-Nfl players died and had died and they found its cause was long term sleep apnea, so the Gov. became involved....they found a lot of it was closely related to neck size...

Also past a certain age we stop growing except a few things keep growing your nose for example. Also as we age we have something in our throat, kinda like an extended palate that continues to grow and the airways can in some become more narrow.....the CPap blows air through the nose or mouth and helps keep that open.   

Someone with OSA typically will wake-up at night wide awake and are unable to go back to sleep. This is a result of stopping breathing to the point to where your blood oxygen drops, which causes the brain to shoot you with a good shot of adrelinin because it thinks you are dying. 
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Piggfoot

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 13, 2016, 08:26:51 am
So because you read this is another thread on here you needed to make your own about it?
Yes I thought it was  important enough to bring this to uneducated people's attention knowing full well it would recieve some smart aleck remarks .
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Does anyone have experience with gout?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SpeedyHog

Has Bielema ever been tested for Diabetes? It could be a diabetes thing. He could have just been bored.
Call Me Trumpton.

Polecat

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 13, 2016, 09:40:37 am
Has Bielema ever been tested for Diabetes? It could be a diabetes thing. He could have just been bored.

he's a great candidate for this
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

longpig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 13, 2016, 09:32:32 am

No, but I look forward to getting it some day. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

SpeedyHog

Has anyone ever had pins and needles feeling in the Fingers and Hands.? Could it be neuropathy?
Call Me Trumpton.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DiamondHogFan

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 13, 2016, 09:57:55 am
What a stupid thread.

The thread is not stupid, it is a real issue that can be a life saver for certain people. But unfortunately as has been stated by, Ron White, "you can't fix stupid". If they come up with a machine for that, this thread has some candidates waiting.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

elksnort

Concentrated cherry juice is supposed to remedy this. Stay away from the purines.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 13, 2016, 09:11:44 am
Yes I thought it was  important enough to bring this to uneducated people's attention knowing full well it would recieve some smart aleck remarks .

Uneducated? I'm probably deplorable too.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Biggus Piggus

I once worked with a PM who would fall asleep in the middle of a sentence.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Only during recruiting season.

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 13, 2016, 12:36:06 pm
I once worked with a PM who would fall asleep in the middle of a sentence.

Great Britain, or Canada?

Hoot72

I have had a CPAP since 1991 -- I fell asleep during a game at Barnhill.  The sleep doctor told me, everything else being equal, the machine would add 20 years to my life.  I would say that it is worth talking about.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 13, 2016, 09:01:34 am
What is this about?

Sounds like a thinly veiled promotion for CPAP equipment. My cardiologist assistant once referred me to a sleep center she was associated with. She was sure my high blood pressure was caused by sleep apnea. I visited the center, and before I even saw a physician, they sat me down in an overstuffed chair, in  a dark bedroom, where they played an 18 minute promotional video for the latest and greatest CPAP equipment. Following that screening, a technician came in and re-ran portions of a video that, unbeknownst to me, had been taken of me watching the 18 minute commercial (remember the dark room). He explained that my response/reactions to the video were proof positive that I suffered from sleep apnea. When I finally saw the actual physician, he explained the sleep disruption/adrenalin cycle, and warned that without his CPAP equipment there was a good possibility that one night, I might not wake up. He prescribed a hypnotic, and scheduled me for a sleep study a month from that date.
   Now, I know people who claim they have benefited from CPAP equipment, and swear by it's use, but this encounter reeked of voodoo. Not going to pooh pooh the technology, or science, but go into it with both eyes open, if you will forgive the turn of a phrase.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

holman24

ok  i dont post any more but this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Told i had sleep apeana in 2007 so bad that i quit breathing 400 times an hour and was on the verge of death.  I was given a c pap machine and could not stand anything touching my face and always ripped it off at night.  went back to Dr and was told to go see Dr Dorthy Mellon in bentonville she told me about a upp surgery that works on about 65% of patients and I told her to do it I had no other choice.  they straitend my deviated septom cut out extra parts of my sinuses cut my soft palate in half, removed my tonsils and uvula in one surgery but now i am cured and dont have to use the machine and feel amazing.  If u suffer from sleep apeana then please get help it will kill u like it did my grandpa before we new about it.  and the surgery although the most painful surgery know to Dr's and it was bad it saved my life and from being strapped to a machine every night the rest of my life I will be glad to help anyone with questions if you have them just pm.  now back to being a ghost around here.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on October 14, 2016, 08:56:21 am
   Now, I know people who claim they have benefited from CPAP equipment, and swear by it's use, but this encounter reeked of voodoo. Not going to pooh pooh the technology, or science, but go into it with both eyes open, if you will forgive the turn of a phrase.

I don't only "claim" I benefited - I did. With it, I can drive to work. I don't get good-quality sleep without it. It's a night-and-day difference. Using CPAP regularly, I can drive from Franklin, Tenn., to Rogers, Ark., without falling asleep at the wheel. Without using it, I couldn't drive 10 minutes.

I got worse and worse for years, until doctors were loading me up with speed to try to keep me awake. And IT DIDN'T WORK. Can you imagine? Taking amphetamines and not staying awake?

If you have this problem, it's not something to mess around with. But you'll have to luck into the right diagnosis. Only took me about five years.
[CENSORED]!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on October 13, 2016, 09:04:32 am
...the CPap became popular several years ago. Seemed like several ex-Nfl players died and had died and they found its cause was long term sleep apnea, so the Gov. became involved....they found a lot of it was closely related to neck size...

Also past a certain age we stop growing except a few things keep growing your nose for example. Also as we age we have something in our throat, kinda like an extended palate that continues to grow and the airways can in some become more narrow.....the CPap blows air through the nose or mouth and helps keep that open.   

Someone with OSA typically will wake-up at night wide awake and are unable to go back to sleep. This is a result of stopping breathing to the point to where your blood oxygen drops, which causes the brain to shoot you with a good shot of adrelinin because it thinks you are dying. 
who hacked SO's account.  I detect semi-coherent thoughts being expressed.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

WaltKowalski

I have scheduled a sleep study. I do not know how I feel about the cpap though. Its not exactly a mood setter.

BR

October 16, 2016, 07:10:01 am #31 Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:55:50 pm by BR
I could offer a lot of in-site into this as my wife has ran a Home Health Agency for 20+ years (Getting you CPAP's and Supplies) , now runs our Sleep lab at the Hospital. But it would probably get deleted by one of the Mods.   GET your sleep studies done. GET on a CPAP or BiPap if needed.  GOOD LUCK
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ricepig

Quote from: WaltKowalski on October 15, 2016, 10:59:51 pm
I have scheduled a sleep study. I do not know how I feel about the cpap though. Its not exactly a mood setter.

I did one of those about 20 years ago, I don't think I ever fell asleep, lol. They were checking to see if I had sleep apnea before wanting to do some surgery to help with my snoring. I got a new wife instead.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: WaltKowalski on October 15, 2016, 10:59:51 pm

Don't put on the mask until you're ready to fall asleep. After sex is a good time. It's a great excuse for falling asleep immediately after sex.
[CENSORED]!

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Have been using a CPAP since 2003.  Before the CPAP, I had to have sunflower seeds while driving to stay awake.  Experienced migraines on a regular basis and had very little energy for a guy in his 30's.  First night with the CPAP was amazing, and have been using it ever since.  I guarantee you it's saved my life.

The mask is certainly not the sexiest thing, but you want to know what else isn't sexy?  Being dead.  At some point, a good night's sleep and better health takes precedence over EVERYTHING else.

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.