Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs very well represented at Pan Am Cup volleyball competition

Started by psycHOGlogist, June 19, 2017, 01:15:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

There are 7 former or current Hogs participating in this regional qualifying tournament for the World Grand Prix tourney.

Representing Puerto Rico, we have current Hog Pilar Victoria and former Hogs Raymariely Santos, Janeliss Torres, and Ana Sofia Jusino (who led her team to the Puerto Rican league championship and was recognized as the playoff MVP).

Representing Mexico is current Hog Fernanda Guitron (this one surprises me a little bit).

Representing Venezuela is former Hog Roslandy Acosta.

And representing the US is current Assistant Coach Jon Newman-Gonchar.

In round robin results so far, both the US and PR are undefeated, and they play each other tonight at 8 ET. (There are streaming options, but the are all PPV). Pilar is starting for the PUR side and doing very well so far. Former U Minnesota star Daly Santana is leading the PR squad in kills, and I believe Pilar is second. Ana Sofia is PR's leading blocker, from what I can tell (the international score sheets are, I confess, a bit of a mystery - and this is from someone who's played the sport since I was 15).

Guitron is getting a decent amount of playing time for Mexico, but it seems their squad is struggling a bit so far (losing to both Argentina and PR).

Great to see the Hogs so well represented!

psycHOGlogist

USA won a very close match, 15-12 in the 5th set. Pilar, Ana Sofia, and Ray were starters and played the entire match. They all played extremely well, too. Very excited to get Pilar back for her senior season!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on June 19, 2017, 10:44:18 pm
USA won a very close match, 15-12 in the 5th set. Pilar, Ana Sofia, and Ray were starters and played the entire match. They all played extremely well, too. Very excited to get Pilar back for her senior season!

i am sure the coach is as well, Psych, she seemed to be the heart and soul of the team (and best play maker).
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

She was the best player on the team the minute she stepped on campus. She is a potential All-American player; the only way she won't be is if nobody else can step up with any offense, and the other teams can focus exclusively on stopping her. She is really fantastic.

psycHOGlogist

Gold for the US and Asst Coach Jon Newman-Gonchar, and bronze for the four former Hogs on the Puerto Rico roster!

Not too bad - that's actually a fantastic result for the PUR team - getting on the podium over Cuba, Argentina, Canada, and host Peru.