Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silver lining: Hopefully Bailey will start

Started by HogAllMighty, January 03, 2018, 06:52:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogAllMighty

The two year Thomas and Cook experiment hopefully ended last night.

The_Iceman

Bailey: 10 points, 6 rebounds, 18 minutes

Thomas/Cook: 2 points, 5 rebounds, 22 minutes

Hawg Red

I'm not mad at Cook. I don't think he's playing nearly enough. I think he should flip minutes/roles with Trey Thompson and, yes,  Bailey should be starting over Thomas.

Willyboy

Quote from: HogAllMighty on January 03, 2018, 06:52:12 am

You're right about Bailey over Thomas but I think Cook should get more minutes. 

EDIT: words

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 07:00:52 am
Bailey: 10 points, 6 rebounds, 18 minutes

Thomas/Cook: 2 points, 5 rebounds, 22 minutes

They have all been inconsistent but the up side is better with Bailey. Thomas can not make a bucket or isn't confident around the rim. I'm with going small off the bench with Bailey and Cook. Thompson is giving the hogs nothing.

HogAllMighty

It seems like Trey has mailed it in and just concentrating on his 2nd degree.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 03, 2018, 08:22:26 am
They have all been inconsistent but the up side is better with Bailey. Thomas can not make a bucket or isn't confident around the rim. I'm with going small off the bench with Bailey and Cook. Thompson is giving the hogs nothing.

Not a bad idea. The one thing that is consistent with Bailey is his energy. That will always result in positive production. Thomas and Cook don't have his athleticism or energy, and also don't have the skill (shooting, footwork, finishing at the rim) to make up for that.

After seeing glimpses of Gabe O, I wouldn't mind him also seeing time at the 4. But it is probably too late in the year to break him in and Mike will almost always go with veterans.

hogsanity

So that just weakens the bench even more, a abench that has produced 19 points TOTAL in 2 SEC games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hobhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 03, 2018, 07:46:21 am
I'm not mad at Cook. I don't think he's playing nearly enough. I think he should flip minutes/roles with Trey Thompson and, yes,  Bailey should be starting over Thomas.

Loved when he tried to shoot that baseline jumper thru back of backboard. WTH?

SouthTulsaHog

Recency bias running rampant through HV. But I understand the frustration from last nights game. Still stewing over it.

I agree Bailey had a really good game last night. Put Thomas did have 5 rebounds and 4 assists in his action. Not exactly nothing. I agree Adrio and Dustin should be splitting time at the 4. Adrio just needs consistency like most young players (see Tenn game).

I wouldn't mind seeing Arlando takes Trey's minutes at the 5. We probably would take a hit on the glass, but Coaches are smart. Everytime trey comes into the game, they run a ball screen and Trey switches on the pg and they drive and either get fouled, get a layup, or kickout to an open shooter. I think if Trey is in we almost have to play zone or switch up how we play ball screens (doubtful).

Its just one game. But I think the other silver lining is our 52% FG percentage from the field

Dwight_K_Shrute

I didn't get to see the game last night due to ATT outage but did follow the tracker and studied team stats after.  The point production from TT, DT, and AC was bad but Bailey's line did stand out and was thinking the same thing, either start the kid or give him more minutes off the bench. 

With his energy level he can be a more athletic Manny. Manny seemed to give us a spark at times last year and was an unexpected source of offense that helped us win some games.

Also has Trey regressed a bit from last year?  He seems slower, not as productive.  Really looked like he was coming into his own offensively and as a facilitator last year but now it seems more negatives than positives.  Commit a foul, not ready for a pass 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2018, 10:55:31 am

He had in his mind he was going to shoot it before he caught the ball. So by the time he shot it, he didn't realize where he was on the floor.

HogAllMighty

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 10:53:59 am
So that just weakens the bench even more, a abench that has produced 19 points TOTAL in 2 SEC games.

Even more reason to push the "panic button" after losing to a team like Miss. St.
We're playing for seeding now.  A bad seed can cause you an early exit.

ArkansasI

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on January 03, 2018, 11:09:49 am
Recency bias running rampant through HV. But I understand the frustration from last nights game. Still stewing over it.

I agree Bailey had a really good game last night. Put Thomas did have 5 rebounds and 4 assists in his action. Not exactly nothing. I agree Adrio and Dustin should be splitting time at the 4. Adrio just needs consistency like most young players (see Tenn game).

I wouldn't mind seeing Arlando takes Trey's minutes at the 5. We probably would take a hit on the glass, but Coaches are smart. Everytime trey comes into the game, they run a ball screen and Trey switches on the pg and they drive and either get fouled, get a layup, or kickout to an open shooter. I think if Trey is in we almost have to play zone or switch up how we play ball screens (doubtful).

Its just one game. But I think the other silver lining is our 52% FG percentage from the field

I don't understand why we don't zone it up more.  I understand that we are trying to force pace, but it seems our constant man to man has some opportunity costs.

Hard to know without seeing the team play more zone.  The man to man seams to result in rotational mismatches against us.

PygmalionEffect2

As good as Macon and Barford are, and to a slightly lesser extent Gafford,

there are probably not any teams in the top 30 that have players at the level of Thompson, Cook, or Thomas in their first seven.

We need to hope that players like Bailey, Hall, and Jones start moving well ahead in minutes played over those three or we can forget about making any noise this year.

I understand Jones isn't 100%.  Hopefully it's something he can get over and get back to the form he had earlier.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

SouthTulsaHog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on January 03, 2018, 12:43:51 pm
As good as Macon and Barford are, and to a slightly lesser extent Gafford,

there are probably not any teams in the top 30 that have players at the level of Thompson, Cook, or Thomas in their first seven.

We need to hope that players like Bailey, Hall, and Jones start moving well ahead in minutes played over those three or we can forget about making any noise this year.

I understand Jones isn't 100%.  Hopefully it's something he can get over and get back to the form he had earlier.

Its called role players. Every team has them. They aren't going to light it up scoring everynight but they know their role. I'm not going to go into player bashing or anything.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: HogAllMighty on January 03, 2018, 06:52:12 am
Bailey just makes things happen! Athleticism and Hustle! Cook should take minutes from Trey Thompson

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HogAllMighty on January 03, 2018, 12:13:26 pm
Even more reason to push the "panic button" after losing to a team like Miss. St.
We're playing for seeding now.  A bad seed can cause you an early exit.

Didn't last seasons team start out 1-3 in SEC play....why would you panick now?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Red

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2018, 10:55:31 am

Definitely an embarrassing attempt, but the pump fake into the lane for the pretty floater that came before that was pretty nice.....

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteIts called role players. Every team has them. They aren't going to light it up scoring everynight but they know their role.

No, teams that will be in the top 30 at the end of the season will not have 3 of them in their top 7-8 players.

And just FYI,

there's more to being an effective basketball player than scoring. 

To be a role player, you have to be effective at something; defense, rebounding, passing, setting screens, taking an open 3, setting up your scorers with assists.

Tell me which of these roles any of those three perform at a winning level?
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.