Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stats for McCurdy Haters

Started by TDHog, January 24, 2006, 05:40:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TDHog

I have noticed a lot of negative comments about SM, so I decided to see if they had any merit.  It is hard to compare direct stats since players play different amounts of time, but if you divide total mins played by total points, you can see the mins taken per point, in other words, compare apples to apples, so let's look at our guards.  Stats current as of JAn 21, 2006 from Hogwired

Brewer -   16.92 mins/turnover  1.82 mins/point  12.4 mins/assist  7 mins/rebound
Modica -    11.24 mins/turnover  2.04 mins/point  19.46 mins/assist  7.2 mins/rebound
Ferguson -    12.42 mins/turnover   3.26 mins/point   10.69 mins/assist   10.69 mins/rebound
McCurdy -   11.75 mins/turnover   3.35  mins/point  6.1 mins/assist    7.8  mins/rebound 
Jefferson -  11.39 mins/turnover  6.04 mins/point    4.7 mins/assist     7.95 mins/rebound

Bottomline is McCurdy when he is playing turns the ball over less frequently than Jefferson and Modica
McCurdy scores more frequently than Jefferson,
McCurdy dishes out assist more frequently than Brewer, Modica, or Ferguson
McCurdy rebound more frequently than Jefferson and Ferguson

These are hard facts, additionally many believe than McCurdy brings more heart and intensity than anyother players.

This is not to demand more PT for McCurdy, but to rebute some of the absurd claims that "he is a turnover waiting to happen,", or "Not SEC Material" as a Freshman he is holding his own agains Seniors and Juniors, and I look foward to him being our future floor general.

three

No question McCurdy is a freshman and will make mistakes, much like he did against Alabama.  The question is, can you stomach his mistakes for those moments when he knocks down threes and penetrates the zone.  He's the closest thing to a long range threat Heath has ever had, and he's the closest thing to a PG Heath has ever had.  I for one could live with 4 TOs a game if he can get 25 minutes, 5 points, and 3 assissts per game.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

CiriusPorker

TDHog

Go read the "McCurdy 1 min thread" Hardwork321 and Ark Blitz to name a few.

hog caller

THANKS FOR THE POST idhog THEY ARE MY SENTIMENTS . THE KID CAN COME OFF THE BENCH COLD AND HIT A THREE WITHIN A MINUTE. THE T.O THAT WAS CREDITED TO HIM IN THE LAST GAME WAS NOT HIS FAULT BUT sh"s. HE WASN'T READY FOR THE PASS AND DIDN'T GO UP AND GET IT. THE PASS WAS PERFECT.

HBTHogs

Based on 25 minutes per game.

7.5     points
4.1     assists
3.2     rebounds
2.1     turnovers

silvertip

Quote from: TDHog on January 24, 2006, 05:40:42 pm
I have noticed a lot of negative comments about SM, so I decided to see if they had any merit. It is hard to compare direct stats since players play different amounts of time, but if you divide total mins played by total points, you can see the mins taken per point, in other words, compare apples to apples, so let's look at our guards. Stats current as of JAn 21, 2006 from Hogwired

Brewer - 16.92 mins/turnover 1.82 mins/point 12.4 mins/assist 7 mins/rebound
Modica - 11.24 mins/turnover 2.04 mins/point 19.46 mins/assist 7.2 mins/rebound
Ferguson - 12.42 mins/turnover 3.26 mins/point 10.69 mins/assist 10.69 mins/rebound
McCurdy - 11.75 mins/turnover 3.35 mins/point 6.1 mins/assist 7.8 mins/rebound
Jefferson - 11.39 mins/turnover 6.04 mins/point 4.7 mins/assist 7.95 mins/rebound

Bottomline is McCurdy when he is playing turns the ball over less frequently than Jefferson and Modica
McCurdy scores more frequently than Jefferson,
McCurdy dishes out assist more frequently than Brewer, Modica, or Ferguson
McCurdy rebound more frequently than Jefferson and Ferguson

These are hard facts, additionally many believe than McCurdy brings more heart and intensity than anyother players.

This is not to demand more PT for McCurdy, but to rebute some of the absurd claims that "he is a turnover waiting to happen,", or "Not SEC Material" as a Freshman he is holding his own agains Seniors and Juniors, and I look foward to him being our future floor general.

Great work, TDHog! You've got the right idea putting a lot of stats on a "minutes per" basis, which eliminates the differences due to how much PT a player gets. I just talked to a "stat guy" in the SEC office here in Birmingham about this very thing. He says their computer has a program to convert many players stats to a "per 40 minutes" basis which would accomplish the same. We agreed that the commonly used "per game average" is not too hot for comparing players.

I have just completed a comparison of 13 SEC PGs using the "minutes per" concept for assists, steals, & RBs. Also in the analysis is assist/TO ratio and scoring based on "points/shot." Points/shot is a "combination stat" that automatically factors in FG% & points, FT% & points, and 3-point shots.

I considered 13 PGs which includes Abernethy & Doyne for Ole Miss, since I can't figure out who is the PG between them. I didn't rank McCurdy since he only played 141 ninutes so far, compared to 500-600 for a lot of SEC PGs.

But I will say, IF McCurdy maintained his present pace over 500 ninutes, then my scoring system would have him ranked 9th among 14 SEC PGs scored. Not bad at all for a freshman. McCurdy would be 3rd in assists (Jefferson 1st), 4th in assist/TO ratio ( Jefferson 2nd), tied with Jefferson at 6th in RBing. Where McCurdy's score suffers is 14th in points/shot (Jefferson 6th) and 14th in steals (Jefferson 3rd.)

So, McCurdy is one of the top freshmen PGs and would already rank 9th among the SEC PGs of all experience levels. But Jefferson is much better this year. In fact, comparing SEC PGs using the 5 measures listed above---

THE BEST PG IN THE SEC IS DONTELL JEFFERSON. That's right. 2nd is C.J. Watson of Tenn, 3rd goes to Rondo of KY. Those 3 are way ahead of the pack.

I will post the details tonight or tomorrow, depending on my energy level. The subject line will be close to that in CAPS above. I figured Dontell would rank at least in the top-5. You could throw a blanket over him, Watson, & Rondo 

TDHog

Good points Silver, don't get me wrong, I am not anti-Jefferson, I just think McCurdy will be a great floor general once he gets some experience under his belt.

hogattack21

Jefferson is a great point guard, however, he just makes horrible decisions at critical parts of the game primarily on the defensive end(ex:Alabama). He was doing great in the non-conference schedule, I just wonder why he is falling apart in conference play.
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

justmakeit2thebcs

So where is the stats for defense? what about the adjustment for minutes played during mop up?   Jefferson has to share the ball with Brewer, Ferguson, Townes, Modica and Thomas.  McCurdy...not so much. 

Jefferson leads all point guards in the SEC in assists, steals and blocks, never takes a bad shot and can finish on the break (McCurdy is 5/19 on 2-pointers because he can't make a layup in traffic).  Would it be great if Dontell scored more?  Sure it would, but I'm not sure I want the shots to come at Brewer and Pookie's expense.

three

Quote from: hogattack21 on January 24, 2006, 09:08:53 pm
Jefferson is a great point guard, however, he just makes horrible decisions at critical parts of the game primarily on the defensive end(ex:Alabama). He was doing great in the non-conference schedule, I just wonder why he is falling apart in conference play.
Correction, Jefferson is a decent PG, Karrem Reid, Corey Beck, Lee Mayberry, those were great PGs, let's not put Jefferson in the same company.  Besides, most of his assists are simple passes to Ronnie or Pook cutting to the hoop or leaking out on the break, or to Townes or Thomas on the blocks, assists anyone on this board could make.  DJ manages the game fine in man-to-man situations for the first 30 minutes, inside 10 minutes he disappears, and inside 3, he makes mistakes.  Against a zone, he's non-effective.  He stands in the same spot testing the ball for air, before he makes a lazy pass. 

But I gotta say, that move he has where he picks the ball up and turns his back to the defenders when they start to get close, that's impressive stuff. He's one step away from crawling into the fetal position anytime someone pressures him!

DJ is a decent PG on a good night, certainly not a great one, I hate the way that word, "great" gets thrown around so much.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Texasbite

Brewer -   percentage of hustle while in the game  95%
Modica -    percentage of hustle while in the game  65%
Ferguson -    percentage of hustle while in the game  85%
McCurdy -   percentage of hustle while in the game  110%
Jefferson -  percentage of hustle while in the game  65%

Percentage of hustle for the other 4 on the floor when McCurdy is in the game 100%

silvertip

Most assists by any PG are simple passes to be where they can catch & score in rhythm. That's kind the definition of an assist, now isn't it.

DJ is about the only player we have who has scored in crunch time to win a game.

Among SEC PGs he is the best in total assists, best in blocks, 2nd best in assist/TO ratio, 3rd best in steals, and 6th best in RBing & points/shot. In other words, above average in practically every objective measure of a PG's performance. DJ, Rondo of KY, and Watson of Tenn are the top 3 PGs in the SEC.

And that's just on what you can take from the stats. What you can't see in the stats is the tough D he puts on opponents' guards. I'm betting DJ makes one of the All-SEC teams when the season's done.

silvertip

Quote from: Texasbite on January 24, 2006, 11:07:47 pm
Brewer - percentage of hustle while in the game 95%
Modica - percentage of hustle while in the game 65%
Ferguson - percentage of hustle while in the game 85%
McCurdy - percentage of hustle while in the game 110%
Jefferson - percentage of hustle while in the game 65%

Percentage of hustle for the other 4 on the floor when McCurdy is in the game 100%

Percentage of this post pulled out of thin air---100%.

SAUhogfan

Who is McCurdy?  Does he play for the Razorbacks?  We all know that every Razorback coach would put the best players he could on the floor to win the....wait.....wait...I'm having a flashback......who is....who is...Jason Gilbert?

SAUhogfan

Not me, I just gave you nothing but applause.  But I don't think I've said too much that could be deemed despicable on here, and I'm in the negative too.  People are just negative by nature, INCLUDING ME!!!!!!

dmhog v2.0

Maybe I'm just not reading enough, or not paying enough attention, but I don't think I've ever encountered a McCurdy hater. Everything I've read is about how he needs more playing time.

Ugly Uncle

There are a few...they normally get off the short bus at around 3:30 and start posting at 4:00. 
Retired Radio Host