Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like Rick Barnes is a goner. nt

Started by Swinesong1, March 27, 2015, 05:03:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

Do they intend to enter the Gregg Marshall sweepstakes? It'll be interesting.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

-Blu

Quote from: Razorod on March 27, 2015, 05:10:41 pm

I called this a couple of days ago. If I was Marshall I much rather go to Texas than Alabama.  Better recruiting grounds, better tradition/history, bigger fan base for basketball, and the program is much more workable state right now.  It's possible he could have a pretty good year his first year at Texas, Alabama he's almost doing a complete rebuild, it's going to be at least a couple of years before you can even start to think they are relevant. 

Atlhogfan1

Texas wants a new arena.  This hire will influence what that will be and possibly how involved they will get the city to be in it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

popcornhog

Quote from: -Blu on March 27, 2015, 05:35:23 pm
I called this a couple of days ago. If I was Marshall I much rather go to Texas than Alabama.  Better recruiting grounds, better tradition/history, bigger fan base for basketball, and the program is much more workable state right now.  It's possible he could have a pretty good year his first year at Texas, Alabama he's almost doing a complete rebuild, it's going to be at least a couple of years before you can even start to think they are relevant.

Imo he would only leave for an NCAA blue blood like UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State, or Indiana.
WPS

daprospecta

Quote from: popcornhog on March 27, 2015, 06:14:23 pm
Imo he would only leave for an NCAA blue blood like UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State, or Indiana.
I dunno. Texas has a lot recruiting grounds to pick from. 

-Blu

Quote from: popcornhog on March 27, 2015, 06:14:23 pm

Texas is right in that mix.  Only difference in the schools you mentioned is they really don't care about football other than Michigan St, but make no mistake Texas cares about their B-Ball program and have the resources and history/tradition to be a powerhouse with the right coach. 

popcornhog

March 27, 2015, 06:38:25 pm #8 Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:10:28 pm by popcornhog
Quote from: -Blu on March 27, 2015, 06:34:25 pm
Texas is right in that mix.  Only difference in the schools you mentioned is they really don't care about football other than Michigan St, but make no mistake Texas cares about their B-Ball program and have the resources and history/tradition to be a powerhouse with the right coach.

I have no idea whether they're actually in the mix. Was just stating my opinion, which is just a gut feeling.
WPS

husker71

Barnes got players from all over and seemed to have a pipeline to Findlay Prep in LV at one time. With the right staff this could be a giant.  This is by far the best job open now.  Any news on the Indiana job ??

secfan30

Quote from: Razorod on March 27, 2015, 05:10:41 pm

This is my thoughts, especially with the timing.

Paul

Quote from: -Blu on March 27, 2015, 05:35:23 pm
I agree on your other points but not Texas' tradition/history .

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Paul on March 27, 2015, 08:32:32 pm
I agree on your other points but not Texas' tradition/history .

I'm with you.  Texas basketball tradition is comparable to Tennessee's, which we've been discussing in the Tyndall thread.  Texas may have a little better history than Tenner, but not by much.  They've had some nice teams over the years, but they've generally underperformed for the talent they've had.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

3kgthog

Quote from: -Blu on March 27, 2015, 06:34:25 pm

I guess I missed the point at which Texas was a basketball power. If they cared about their basketball program, they would've canned him long before now.

dsims2k3

If Texas misses on Marshall,  I think they will go after Buzz Williams.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Saw this was official. Would the Hogs ever Fire a coach that went to the Dance 16 of his 17 years? Wow. I realize Texas underachieved when they got there but dang that's pretty good.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on March 28, 2015, 05:23:33 pm
Saw this was official. Would the Hogs ever Fire a coach that went to the Dance 16 of his 17 years? Wow. I realize Texas underachieved when they got there but dang that's pretty good.

Or won a NC and went to 3 Final Fours? Unthinkable!
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

rhog1

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/27/sources-rick-barnes-not-expected-to-return-to-texas/
Barnes could be Tennessee's next head coach per NBC sports.
"One potential landing spot for Barnes is Tennessee, sources said, with one source adding the job is "absolutely" his if he wants it. Barnes' wife, Candy, is a Tennessee alum."

Danny J

SEC has a chance to have the best coaches in all of college basketball if GM and RB are both hired along with BH hired at MSU

passinghog

Quote from: Danny J on March 28, 2015, 06:04:10 pm
SEC has a chance to have the best coaches in all of college basketball if GM and RB are both hired along with BH hired at MSU

GM isn't going to Alabama with Texas being open now though.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: husker71 on March 27, 2015, 06:42:57 pm
Barnes got players from all over and seemed to have a pipeline to Findlay Prep in LV at one time. With the right staff this could be a giant.  This is by far the best job open now.  Any news on the Indiana job ??

From what I've heard locally here in Southern Indiana, there was speculation the two sides would "mutually part ways" but I expected that to immediately follow their NCAA exit if that were the case.

His days are numbered at IU, the fan base is frustrated and the majority of their big boosters want a change. That said, the sense is if he can get Yogi, Blackmon, and Troy Willians to all come back, he'll get one more year to keep the team together. The players love him and that's likely the only thing keeping him employed right now.

Another sticking point for immediate termination is the $11 million they'd owe him if cut this Spring. He's got 5 years left on his contract.

They've got one good recruit locked in thus far, Juwan Morgan who'd give them a much needed inside presence, and are making a big push for highly recruited Top 100 Thomas Bryant (4 star Center) and the insanely talented Thon Maker. Getting either of those guys, keeping the rest of the team intact (outside of the transeferring freshman Hoetzel and Stanley Robinson who 98% of Hoosier fans are glad to see go), would definitely buy him one more year.

I see a lot of Hoosier games living in Indiana and can tell you this regarding Crean, he's a solid recruiter and coach, but his biggest problem is in game coaching. He is terrible at making adjustments and even worse at managing the game. He'll let opposing teams go one huge runs of 10+ points to get back in the game or even take the lead, and will rarely call a timeout to stop them. He also stubbornly sticks to substitution plans, even when a guy is getting hot. It will take getting his team to return intact, landing a Bryant type to finish a good class, and a top 20 finish with a Sweet 16 run for him to coach the Hoosiers again after next season. Next year is make or break for him, if he does in fact survive this offseason.

rhog1

Quote from: Danny J on March 28, 2015, 06:04:10 pm
It would be a major coaching upgrade for the conference if both were hired.

WilsonHog

Texas' loss may well be Alabama's gain. That would be a serious upgrade down in Tuscaloosa.

Smithian

Rick Barnes would be a very good pickup for Alabama or Tennessee.

Here's to hoping Texas fumbles this search somehow.

BDSCT51

Quote from: Smithian on March 29, 2015, 12:54:30 pm

Agreed on this one. Seems the SEC may become a BB destination for coaching too.
Bleeding Razorback Red

passinghog

As predicted:

"@JTalty: Gregg Marshall has told Alabama not to bother and has eyes set on Texas per @YahooForde"

No one thought Alabama was an actual player with him, did they?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Smithian on March 29, 2015, 12:54:30 pm

If I am not mistaken, Barnes' Wife is an Alum of Tennessee.  I wouldn't be surprised if Barnes does become Tennessee's next Head Coach.  He is not that bad of a Coach.  It was probably just that Texas felt that they needed a "new face."  A move to a job like Tennessee would probably also help Barnes get a"fresh start."

Atlhogfan1

Would be more defense and physical play in a mostly offensively challenged conference.  Barnes and Howland added to Pearl would mean more 60-80 FTA games.

A good piece on Barnes and Howland:

http://www.trainforhoops.com/player-development-ben-howland-and-the-nba/
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Smithian

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 29, 2015, 01:40:17 pm
If I am not mistaken, Barnes' Wife is an Alum of Tennessee.  I wouldn't be surprised if Barnes does become Tennessee's next Head Coach.  He is not that bad of a Coach.  It was probably just that Texas felt that they needed a "new face."  A move to a job like Tennessee would probably also help Barnes get a"fresh start."
Barnes is a good coach and if Arkansas was coach shopping this summer he would be a good hire. Texas and Barnes just got tired of each other. Texas, due to turnover, had a couple seasons of less talented teams and Barnes coached them up.

kaiserhog

Quote from: BDSCT51 on March 29, 2015, 12:58:46 pm

Agreed on this one. Seems the SEC may become a BB destination for coaching too.
Big state universities with huge athletic budgets.

HotlantaHog

Barnes is a very good coach. He may have had a bad year or two at Texas where his team underperformed, but he would immediately be one of the top coaches in the SEC if he takes a job in the Southeast.