Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sumlin still on hotseat...makes no sense.

Started by twistitup, October 24, 2017, 01:42:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

A&M just doesn't like the guy....it will never work for him there.

Would you accept Sumlin as your new head coach?

He can recruit Texas, he has put together some good teams CONSISTENTLY, and has hadn't had issues w the NCAA

....he is straight forward, serious (not a bullshitter) and he doesn't blame injuries or past coaches for his issues - he lost his starting QB in the UCLA game and has come back to have a solid season, he overcomes adversity.

The guy is proven and may be a good fit....since A&M doesn't want him, maybe we should think about it.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

King Kong

311Hog

Quote from: twistitup on October 24, 2017, 01:42:48 pm

He can recruit Texas, he has put together some good teams CONSISTENTLY, and has hadn't had issues w the NCAA

....he is straight forward, serious (not a bullshitter) and he doesn't blame injuries or past coaches for his issues - he lost his starting QB in the UCLA game and has come back to have a solid season, he overcomes adversity.

The guy is proven and may be a good fit....since A&M doesn't want him, maybe we should think about it.

could it have something to do with a video i saw awhile back of Sumlin absolutely shiz faced drunk after a game or after some SEC function i do not know but man he looked rough.

hogsanity

Heck, Harbaugh is seeing the heat starting to come up on his seat at Mich, which makes no sense either.

In some ways Manziel was the worst thing to ever happen to Sumlin. They have never been able to live up to his 1st season in College Station as HC. They went 11-2 and since then have lost at least 4 games a season since then.

I would take him here IF Chavez comes with him as DC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

twistitup

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

twistitup

Quote from: 311Hog on October 24, 2017, 01:48:46 pm
could it have something to do with a video i saw awhile back of Sumlin absolutely shiz faced drunk after a game or after some SEC function i do not know but man he looked rough.

It happens to the best of us....

I don't think that is a deal breaker.

311Hog

Quote from: twistitup on October 24, 2017, 01:50:54 pm

yeah but the whole face of the program thing.  if he does this on the regular that could be an issue.

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on October 24, 2017, 01:50:54 pm

Plus I think that video was several years ago and Sumlin has been sober since then, at least in public.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

smb

Some programs have high standards when it comes to win and losses.
GeorgiaHOG

twistitup

Quote from: 311Hog on October 24, 2017, 01:51:54 pm
yeah but the whole face of the program thing.  if he does this on the regular that could be an issue.

One video is not on the regular.....coaches (and many others) tend to drink a little, not a biggie . CBB likes to have one or 10 - but it's not an issue unless it looks like you can't do what you were hired to do.

311Hog

Quote from: twistitup on October 24, 2017, 01:53:48 pm
One video is not on the regular.....coaches (and many others) tend to drink a little, not a biggie . CBB likes to have one or 10 - but it's not an issue unless it looks like you can't do what you were hired to do.

You are right it isn't but i know a thing or two about drinking and seeing that video that wasn't his first rodeo.  That was borderline blackout drunk.  I am just saying what it could be because they guy wins a fair amount.

Aggies are weird people.

hawg1221

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 01:49:17 pm
Heck, Harbaugh is seeing the heat starting to come up on his seat at Mich, which makes no sense either.

In some ways Manziel was the worst thing to ever happen to Sumlin. They have never been able to live up to his 1st season in College Station as HC. They went 11-2 and since then have lost at least 4 games a season since then.

Harbaugh does have the exact same record as Butch Jones over the last 11 games at 6-5.

247Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 01:49:17 pm

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

311Hog

Quote from: hawg1221 on October 24, 2017, 01:55:38 pm
Harbaugh does have the exact same record as Butch Jones over the last 11 games at 6-5.

once all that rah rah stuff wears off you have to actually play the games. That is what Harbaugh and Butch are finding out.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg1221 on October 24, 2017, 01:55:38 pm

Heard a segment on ESPN Radio about Michigan. They were talking about how, when a fanbase puts a guy on the hot seat, they never ask the pertinent question - " for who ". If you want to smoke out the coach who is there, who do you want to come in. The point was, if Harbaugh cant win at Michigan at a level to keep the fans happy, who do the fans think can? They went on to say that fans everywhere have a right to expect X out of their program, BUT if the current guy can not reach that who do they think can. At Michigan, a alum who had a pro career as a player and coach, went to the super bowl as a coach, comes home and can't satisfy the fans, just who can.

A&M fans should ask the same question - who do they think they can get to replace Sumlin that is going to win MORE than he has in his almost 6 full years as HC? Any fans base has to ask that, just as any AD has to ask that when faced with keeping or letting a coach go. At some places winning more games than the last guy is easier because they did not win many games.

hawg1221

Quote from: 311Hog on October 24, 2017, 01:56:39 pm
once all that rah rah stuff wears off you have to actually play the games. That is what Harbaugh and Butch are finding out.

Yes. I hope Harbaugh falls flat on his face. He and CBB are very similar in that they both came in talking smack and it's not turning out so good.

Vantage 8 dude

I can't understand the hate either. While it's true that he had some (alleged) drinking issues a couple of years back, and they've had the tendency to wilt toward the end of the season, I think he's done a pretty darn good job. He's had them very competitive since they hit the SEC, done a very good job recruiting Texas and the program appears to be in very good financial shape. Heck, he even beat the Tide (although it was in very large thanks to Manzel). So yeah, if it came down to it I wouldn't have a problem with him being our HC.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawg1221

I think Sumlin is doing a great job this year so far. The jury is still out, but when the AD says you need to win 9 games this year, basically it's a foot in mouth situation possibly.