Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keniko Logan- FS Northside- Oh, What Could Have Been...

Started by MCHogger, December 16, 2015, 12:00:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MCHogger

I know we see these posts all the time- who was the greatest that never was, etc... Everyone knows Basil Shabazz and his exploits- but Keniko Logan from Northside was certainly near that same level.  For those that don't know Keniko was  a 5-11, 190 lb rocket that probably would've been a 5 star recruit today.  I had never seen game footage of him until I ran across this full coaches game tape of a game against Tulsa Union in 1994.  Keniko, just a junior in this game, had four long touchdown runs and finished with over 300 yards.  Union beat Northside in Tulsa 29-28 in an amazing game.

In the video, check out the unbelievable speed he had on the TD's at the 11:25, 23:57, 32:05, and 42:25 marks. Really crazy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94iUtiG8PE&sns=em

Interestingly, Tulsa Union finished the year runner-up in Oklahoma and was coached by Bill Blankenship, who later became the head coach at Tulsa.  The QB for Union was Justin Fuente who passed for over 400 yards in the game.  He went on as a heralded recruit at OU and later transferred to Murray State.  Most recently renowned as the head coach at Memphis and now the new head coach at Virginia Tech. 

Keniko was a head case and got kicked off of the team before the Southside game his senior year.  He didn't have the grades to go D-1, but went one year to Grambling before flunking out and disappearing.  In 2006 at 28 he murdered his 18 year girlfriend and shot her mother as well.  He's in the Arkansas Dept of Corrections today facing life without parole:  http://adc.arkansas.gov/inmate_info/search.php?dcnum=119941&lastname=lo    Sad and tragic story.

Biggus Piggus

Someone who taught at Northside while Logan was there claimed that top athletes were "passed through the system" from an early age, that some (like Logan) were illiterate but still allowed to play football. Took a long time for anyone to take notice of that problem.

I saw both Logan and Shabazz play in high school. Shabazz was on another level. Logan has serious speed, though.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 16, 2015, 12:09:06 pm
Someone who taught at Northside while Logan was there claimed that top athletes were "passed through the system" from an early age, that some (like Logan) were illiterate but still allowed to play football. Took a long time for anyone to take notice of that problem.

I saw both Logan and Shabazz play in high school. Shabazz was on another level. Logan has serious speed, though.

This is not just a rumor.  Fact.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 16, 2015, 12:12:10 pm
This is not just a rumor.  Fact.

I felt sorry for the teacher when he described the pressure put on him to keep from flunking football players. Teachers had to play ball to keep their jobs.
[CENSORED]!

supersaint

I know some people who played against Logan. They have a lot of respect for how he played. They say he played "mean".

I played against Shabazz in hoops only. He really was amazing.  Incredibly quick and fast. After the game, he went up into the stands and punched one of our fans who had been heckling him. I laughed because the fan deserved it.

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

thirrdegreetusker

Inhogswetrust

December 16, 2015, 03:11:54 pm #6 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:04:06 pm by Inhogswetrust
Choices..............we have a right to make bad ones as well as good ones.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

michaels

unreal. what a shame. i played with 1 that had all the talent, but was caught up in wanting to be a thug also.
Renardo Mahone.
Now he's doing a 20 year stint for robbery, kidnapping, assault
I believe

scorekeeper

Still goes on today.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

SquidBilly

The only thing sad and tragic is that this guy killed one person and tried to kill another.  Those families will never be the same.  People can decide whether or not they are going to be taken advantage of but too many of them see the easy path as an opportunity rather than what it is, fools gold.  Kid should've made better choices throughout his life and overcome those that were having a negative impact.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: scorekeeper on December 16, 2015, 03:25:11 pm
Still goes on today.

I remember when that happened in college. Some form of it still does sometimes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

thirrdegreetusker

It is epidemic in American youth sports. Once a child shows rare talent or promise, the rules no longer apply. Kids with strong parents tend to handle it better, but kids from "problem" homes tend to become "infected".

carolinahogger

Meh. Shabazz, Logan... Who cares?  It always seems to be about "I saw him against XXXXX High School and..."

Kids who make bad decisions are a dime a dozen.  Some of them are athletes with potential.  We had Eckwood, Hill, McFadden and many other great ones who actually played for the Razorbacks. 

10thPlanet

Passing athletes happens a lot, and about everywhere I've went to school or had anything to do with a school. Starts in Jr High.
Shabazz was better than Logan and I've seen them both play in person. Shabazz is obviously a better man.

bigredone

That is not limited to the FS schools and not just in that decade. There was and probably is active recruiting by high schools in the whole area including across the state line into OK. They could get you a fake address and rides to school in the 80's.

Airforcehawg

The guy was a freak at any sport he played. He could dunk from the free throw line and hit baseballs out of the park just for fun. He was getting letters from Nebraska and Notre Dame from the time he was in 10th grade.

From my understanding, he never passed an English class the entire time at Northside and honestly I don't ever remember seeing him at school our Senior year. I remember coming home on leave around the '99 timeframe and there was an article in the paper that he was headed to Coffeville CC to give it another shot...but never made it to campus. One of my buddies seen him at a party and asked him why he didn't stay with football. My friend said he reached into his pocket, pulled out a knot of $20's, and said football was getting him this. Funny, because if he would concentrated on football... that stack would of been made of hundreds.

His brother (Tammaris) was a good athlete as well. Played LB, and had a better head on his shoulders. If I am not mistaken he tore his knee up his Senior year or he would of been at a D1 school.

oldbooniehog

When Logan murdered his "baby's mama" he had already been previously arrested by Fort Smith police more than 30 times.

The only tragedy with Keniko is that he wasn't already locked up long-term before he murdered that girl, and then tried to kill her mother, too.