Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Wood

Started by fu-man-soo, June 13, 2006, 10:08:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

June 13, 2006, 10:08:13 am Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:16:20 am by fu-man-soo
I think with all of the Malzahn discussion that not enough emphasis has been made on Coach Wood.  I think keeping him here and happy could be the secret to our success.  Someone with his credentials in place to develp Mitch is unreal for us.  I think he is a gift from the hog-gods.

oldfart

I agree. While Gus is going to be leading the overall offensive program, Alex is going to be working personally with Mitch (and the other QB's as well) to improve their performance.   I am looking for great things coming from this alliance of Gus and Wood

Quote from: fu-man-soo on June 13, 2006, 10:08:13 am
I think with all of the Malzahn discussion that not enough emphasis has been made on Coach Wood.  I think keeping him here and happy could be the secret to our success.  Someone with his credentials in place to develp Mitch is unreal for us.  I think he is a gift from the hog-gods.

JJHog

I think you are right
" Think Right, Do Right"

SultanofSwine

Don't discount the recruiting credibility he will bring to the table as well. "I coached Dante Culpepper up" will carry a lot of weight with recruits.

proffitthog

Let's all hope this is the case.

rricha

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: rricha on June 13, 2006, 12:27:02 pm
Who is alex Woods?

Alex Woods is the QB Coach (and passing game coordinator).  Here's a link to the announcement for his hiring on Hogwired.com.  It has more info about his past, if you're interested.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

PorkSoda

June 13, 2006, 01:26:41 pm #7 Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 01:29:11 pm by PowderHawg
Does anyone know if Wood has access to players over the summer?  Under his guidence, our current QB's may improve enough to challenge Mustain for the starting job.  I know it should be the other way around, but from what I hear, Mustain has been and will be working hard all summer in order to come in and take the started QB job.  Are Casey Dick and RoJo doing the same thing?  If so, if could be an interesting Fall...

Oh yeah, without Alex Wood we would have lost Mustain.  I doubt he would have come to arkansas if we didn't have a QB coach capable of taking him to the next level.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hank351

Alex Wood is the real deal.  Not only does he have a ton of coaching experience, but he has professional experience as well, and when you're trying to land a blue chip kind of guy when recruiting, the promise of a guy with pro connections to use his resources to get you to that level is a powerful tool. 

In answer to you question Mitch can't work out with the coaching staff, as a matter of fact I don't believe he's allowed to really work out with anyone on the team.  But he is allowed to work out with incoming freshmen, and from what I'm hearing Dameon Williams and Ben Clevland are coaching the other incoming offensive guys on Mitch's throwing abilities and how to receive the ball from him. 

The incoming young guys could really come in here this year and make an impact like we've never had from a new class on the Hill.  It seems to me like these guys are more focused on football than any of our actual teams have been in years, and these guys are freshmen.

cbjagman

I agree that Coach Wood is a very welcome addition to the staff. While Malzahn is receiving all the press, I think Wood may in some ways be the very valuable behind the scenes. Most staffs need someone to fulfill that role.

hogtheball

I'm excited about Wood, too.  Similar to the feeling I had when Ferguson was hired.  I hope he's allowed to succeed.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

RhodeHog

Right on, man.  I think he was a bigger pick-up than Malzahn....just IMO.