Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unhyped Heroes

Started by bigyellowdog, June 12, 2006, 02:07:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigyellowdog

Upon reading the thread "Biggest Recruiting Busts", I begin to think in the opposite direction.  Who were the players that came in with little or no recruiting hype and made the biggest contributions to the program?

In football, I will say Brandon Burlsworth and Clint Stoerner.  Neither guy was recruited by the bigger programs. 

In basketball, Ernie Murray and Scottie Thurman.  Ernie was a walk-on who helped spark the team to a final four.  I think I remember reading somewhere Scottie was ranked in the 170's as top players in the South.

Your thoughts??

MCPeePants

rzrbaxfan

Burlsworth is absolutely at the top of my football list.

Bua was not too far behind...undersized, passed up by a lot of schools.  I hated that they moved positions on him, but he was a heck of a hitter.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Hollywood_HOGan

Burls is the obvious choice as well as Bua.

Some that come to mind are Jimmy Beasly, Anthony Lucas(almost went to La Tech), Guy Whitney was pretty good, Jerry Reith, Stephen Parker, Corey Beck, Dwight Stewart, and Mike Williams.

Aftershave

Didn't LSU offer Stoerner out of Baytown?
"Keep your feet tight & stay in the saddle"

"It may or may not be a first down" - The Late Great Bud Campbell

hogsNbeer

EastexHawg

I don't know of anyone who thought Matt Jones would rewrite the Arkansas record book as a QB and rank in the top ten in SEC history in total offense and TDs when he signed with the Hogs. 

Especially our head coach...

jkcrunch

Dwight Stewart. Corey Beck, and Alex Dillard

Going farther back Scott Rose PG walk on forced to play because Sutton left the cupboard bare when Nolan came in.

Charles Balentine.

Football=  Burls right on.  I cant go with Bua I wont deny his heart but he made too many stupid plays for penalties.

Odis Lloyd from Stutgart played for Hatfield on defense Bua with football smarts.   

hogtheball

Quote from: jkcrunch on June 12, 2006, 04:10:15 pm
Dwight Stewart. Corey Beck, and Alex Dillard

Going farther back Scott Rose PG walk on forced to play because Sutton left the cupboard bare when Nolan came in.

Charles Balentine.

Football=  Burls right on.  I cant go with Bua I wont deny his heart but he made too many stupid plays for penalties.

Odis Lloyd from Stutgart played for Hatfield on defense Bua with football smarts.  

Well, Byron Ervin was here when Nolan came.  A decent All-American point guard (after transferring to Missouri) who played four or five years in the NBA.  Andrew Lang only lasted 13 or so seasons in the NBA. 

Oh, and I vote for Sidney Moncrief.  He wasn't a highly recruited player out of high school.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

O'Squeal

Staying in the now.........Olajabutu
Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

turbo2000

June 12, 2006, 06:07:27 pm #11 Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 06:09:49 pm by turbo2000
How was Wallace Spearman perceived out of high school? Or Mike Connelly. Sutton signed Connelly to play basketball.