Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tony Bua interview...he says some interesting stuff

Started by geoffhog, June 12, 2006, 01:14:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clew

interesting read.  why are the background colors on arsnonline burnt orange?  maybe i should calibrate my monitor, but I swear they look orange.  or...maybe i'm colorblind...  anyone else?  bueller?
Pure as the dawn

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

it's not burnt orange, but it's not quite razorback red either.  Your monitor is probably ok.

hawg23

seems to me that almost all the players prefer the Rock
"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

rzrbaxfan

QuoteYour senior season versus Florida, you were called for a late hit on Gator QB Chris Leak. Many have said it cost us the game. What are your thoughts on this?

Tony: It did cost us the game. It was 3rd down and Sam Olajubutu intercepted the pass. Matt Jones had been playing so great that game. I still feel like, quite honestly that it was a chicken call. The previous game against Auburn, I followed the refs off the field and gave them an ear full and I felt this was just retaliation from them.

After the first series on the field versus Florida, I hadn't said a single word but a referee came up to me and said he had heard me cussing and said if it happened one more time, he was going throw me out of the game.

The referee called it helmet to helmet hit and in watching the replay, you can clearly see my helmet hit his shoulder pad first and then bounce up. He was throwing the ball and I was already in the air so there was no chance it was a late hit.

Interesting...

rzrbaxfan

Another one....

Quote..but it got so loud that the inside of my body was shaking. I remember thinking, "This is why I wanted to play big-time college football."

I wish we could create that kind of atmosphere in Fayetetville week in and week out.

Landonhog

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on June 12, 2006, 02:09:17 pm
QuoteYour senior season versus Florida, you were called for a late hit on Gator QB Chris Leak. Many have said it cost us the game. What are your thoughts on this?

Tony: It did cost us the game. It was 3rd down and Sam Olajubutu intercepted the pass. Matt Jones had been playing so great that game. I still feel like, quite honestly that it was a chicken call. The previous game against Auburn, I followed the refs off the field and gave them an ear full and I felt this was just retaliation from them.

After the first series on the field versus Florida, I hadn’t said a single word but a referee came up to me and said he had heard me cussing and said if it happened one more time, he was going throw me out of the game.

The referee called it helmet to helmet hit and in watching the replay, you can clearly see my helmet hit his shoulder pad first and then bounce up. He was throwing the ball and I was already in the air so there was no chance it was a late hit.

Interesting...

OH, Man,,,, I remember standing in a half empty stadium feeling like someone had kicked me in the stomach after that play....   I'll never blame a player for playing with that kind of intensity and effort!  I felt sooooooo sorry for Bua and the rest of the team...  Matt was unstoppable those last few minutes....

Smithian

Bua is one of my favorite Razorback athletes of all time.

Richard_white

Quote from: Landonhog on June 12, 2006, 02:34:42 pm

After the first series on the field versus Florida, I hadn’t said a single word but a referee came up to me and said he had heard me cussing and said if it happened one more time, he was going throw me out of the game.

Interesting...

OH, Man,,,, I remember standing in a half empty stadium feeling like someone had kicked me in the stomach after that play....   I'll never blame a player for playing with that kind of intensity and effort!  I felt sooooooo sorry for Bua and the rest of the team...  Matt was unstoppable those last few minutes....

MJ was playing good that day?  If I remember correctly MJ was struggling up until the last 5 or 6 minutes in that game.

Hollywood_HOGan

Interesting...

This is why SEC refs suck.

We were not prepared at all in both the AU and UF games that year but we got totally jobbed on some BS calls.

Aftershave

During his Jr year I was in Fayetteville visiting my daughter and went down to the practice field (stadium expansion was 60% completed) and when Bua walked by me I was shocked at how small he really was.....I'm 5'9" & I was I eyeball to eyeball to him.
A tougher player never played for the Hogs and he certainly fit the Arkansas mold of an overachiever.
My daughter says that Tony was a guy that liked to party hardy.
"Keep your feet tight & stay in the saddle"

"It may or may not be a first down" - The Late Great Bud Campbell

rzrbaxfan

QuoteThis is why SEC refs suck.

We were not prepared at all in both the AU and UF games that year but we got totally jobbed on some BS calls.

Aww man, the Auburn game.  "Holding" on George Wilson.  We were talking about watching old games on tape on Saturday, and that is one game I won't re-watch...makes me too mad.  I'll re-watch the USC debacle before I watch that.

PIGINAPOKE

The move of Tony to safety killed his draft ranking.He looked lost back there.Out of position ALOT ! Great hitter, Gave his all for the team. A true hog !
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: PIGINAPOKE on June 12, 2006, 06:20:50 pm
The move of Tony to safety killed his draft ranking.He looked lost back there.Out of position ALOT ! Great hitter, Gave his all for the team. A true hog !

Yeah and get this....

on the very last game of his Sr season in the Independence Bowl, we move him back to Linebacker where he should have been!

Dudesbrother

My favorite Bua memory was of him running along with and yelling at the ref after the Auburn game.
I agree with him about the Little Rock games being much more fun.

bythelake

Nice read.  Bua was probably my favorite Razorback of all times.  Too small, too short and too slow, but played with a lot of heart.  Reminds me of myself.  Ha, ha.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Dudesbrother on June 12, 2006, 07:24:26 pm
My favorite Bua memory was of him running along with and yelling at the ref after the Auburn game.
I agree with him about the Little Rock games being much more fun.

I liked it too.

He just took matters into his own hands. He was just doing what 73,000 other fans in the stadium were dying to do.

Larry freakin Leatherwood.

Oliverhogman

The best "small" player was a kid named Tony Cherico.  I do not ever remember him "costing" a game.  Anyone got a tape of that game? Look at the hit by Bua.  Hate to admit it but it as the right call.  As for chasing the ref off the field.  Why was it Bua doing the chasing instead of Nutt?  I think we know the answer to that one.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on June 12, 2006, 02:12:25 pm
Another one....

Quote..but it got so loud that the inside of my body was shaking. I remember thinking, "This is why I wanted to play big-time college football."

I wish we could create that kind of atmosphere in Fayetetville week in and week out.

Well, they can't.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

CorningHog

The Texas game in Fayetteville outranks any, ANY game I have attended in LR.  In fact, even though I was at the Miracle on Markham, that game was a dud until the last few minutes. 

The Tennessee game in '99 as the rematch and winning 28-24 was awesome as well!

The last few years, we have had some great SEC clashes, except for some reason, losing a lot in Fayetteville the last 3 years tends to make us think watching us beat Louisana Monroe, or SW Missouri State is so fun, of course you can get drunk pretty good over there.

Fayetteville WILL be the place to watch and the Stadium that "ROCKS" both the fans and the players, once we have a team that can consistently win the close games in the SEC and winning some big games there as well!

Since 2003 and the expansion, we have lost pretty much all the SEC games there except an Alabama game '04.  Go figure, no wonder the players like the Rock, they forgot that really, really like the taste of winning in front of the home state fans!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

RazorDrummer

www.oreoblue.com (My Band)
www.theuncrownedkings.com (My other band)
www.honeyjackband.com (the new band 2016)
www.nwamsbl.com (Play Baseball in NWArkansas)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

www.oreoblue.com (My Band)
www.theuncrownedkings.com (My other band)
www.honeyjackband.com (the new band 2016)
www.nwamsbl.com (Play Baseball in NWArkansas)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

kuhog

Quote from: CorningHog on June 12, 2006, 11:38:08 pm
The Texas game in Fayetteville outranks any, ANY game I have attended in LR.  In fact, even though I was at the Miracle on Markham, that game was a dud until the last few minutes. 

The Tennessee game in '99 as the rematch and winning 28-24 was awesome as well!

The last few years, we have had some great SEC clashes, except for some reason, losing a lot in Fayetteville the last 3 years tends to make us think watching us beat Louisana Monroe, or SW Missouri State is so fun, of course you can get drunk pretty good over there.

Fayetteville WILL be the place to watch and the Stadium that "ROCKS" both the fans and the players, once we have a team that can consistently win the close games in the SEC and winning some big games there as well!

Since 2003 and the expansion, we have lost pretty much all the SEC games there except an Alabama game '04.  Go figure, no wonder the players like the Rock, they forgot that really, really like the taste of winning in front of the home state fans!

I have been season ticket holder for over 15 years now, and I have yet witnessed a Fayetteville atmosphere that exceeds War Memorial Stadium when comparing similar opponents. The most electrifying atmosphere in Fayetteville over the last 15 years was the 2004 Texas game. A close second was the 28-24 win against Tennessee. However, at the Rock, the atmosphere is almost always electrifying. It does not matter who the opponent is. If you want to watch a game with great facilities, Fayetteville is the place to be. If you want to watch a game with an unbelievable atmosphere, Little Rock can't be beat.

Richard_white

Are we having another discussion about where to play games at again?

Are we UALR or UofA?

What it is, is what it is.

WichitaStateRazorback

rzrbaxfan

QuoteAre we having another discussion about where to play games at again?

Are we UALR or UofA?

Na, I don't think thats where this is going.  I think its (another) 'why can't we have an intimidating loud atmosphere in Fayetteville like in LR?" thread.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Richard_white on June 13, 2006, 01:02:25 am
Are we having another discussion about where to play games at again?

Are we UALR or UofA?

I can't stand all the stadium debates.

We're all fans of the Razorbacks.
Ive attended one game at Little Rock and it was okay. Not what I was expecting considering all the hype around LR games but it was pretty fun. I would love to make an LSU game at Little Rock someday.
I attend the Fay games but Im all for playing 1 or 2 at the Rock every year just for tradition and the uniqueness of playing in another stadium.

I dont think Fay is nearly as bad as some of the LR people make it out to be. That atmosphere for Texas was unlike any other EVER. Once we start winning and quit this losing to teams like Vandy and SOuth Carolina, the atmosphere will get better.
Maybe someday we will be able to close in one of the endzones to trap some of the noise in.

We're ALL fans of the HOGS and want the same thing: WINS!