Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

School loyalty and Getting a Job

Started by VBMark, October 06, 2014, 06:41:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VBMark

With apologies outfront to elksnort.

At the end of the day, it does matter if you are an alum or not. If you are a "t-shirt fan" as proposed by the OP, then it doesn't affect your life if our boys hit the blotter or not, except it may cause a loss for the home team.

Conversely, if you are an alum, a lot of our boys on the blotter makes for a very uncomfortable interview the next time you get a job. Whether we have made-up classes ala Chapel Hill, makes people wonder if your degree is all that it is made out to be or not.

Think of all the jokes people made of SMU after that disaster happened in the 1980s. People still joke and write about the Pony Express. There was a day and time when it was hard for SMU grads to get jobs outside of Dallas, because of the fallout.

You may not care if the UofA becomes a top 50 national university for academics or not. If the UofA does, then every alum AND every Arkansan can take pride in that. No longer will we have to hear about how sending your kid to be one of the T-sippers or Aggies is better at the end of the day for your kid than sending them to your alma mater, where we sing  to the "Mother of Mothers."

So, you may not care whether CBB is building uncommon men or not, but I do.

For the sports teams, absolutely we need both sets of fans. Just don't be under any illusion that what happens on and off the field doesn't impact one set of fans much, much more than another set.

----
Hopping down off the soapbox
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

elksnort

I just so happen to love all things "Arkansas".

I love college football also and the Razorbacks represent this state the best.  Because I love my home state, when I grew up in South Florida, the Razorbacks provided a source of pride and belonging, etc.

Yes, the football team is my main love for the U of A, but I am proud of their very good history with the Architecture school, the Business school currently, etc. I also thing Fayetteville is a great town.

I guess I missed out on the point of the thread.

umpqua

Quote from: VBMark on October 06, 2014, 06:41:18 pm

At the end of the day, it does matter if you are an alum or not. If you are a "t-shirt fan" as proposed by the OP, then it doesn't affect your life if our boys hit the blotter or not, except it may cause a loss for the home team.

Conversely, if you are an alum, a lot of our boys on the blotter makes for a very uncomfortable interview the next time you get a job. Whether we have made-up classes ala Chapel Hill, makes people wonder if your degree is all that it is made out to be or not.

Think of all the jokes people made of SMU after that disaster happened in the 1980s. People still joke and write about the Pony Express. There was a day and time when it was hard for SMU grads to get jobs outside of Dallas, because of the fallout.

You may not care if the UofA becomes a top 50 national university for academics or not. If the UofA does, then every alum AND every Arkansan can take pride in that. No longer will we have to hear about how sending your kid to be one of the T-sippers or Aggies is better at the end of the day for your kid than sending them to your alma mater, where we sing  to the "Mother of Mothers."

For the sports teams, absolutely we need both sets of fans. Just don't be under any illusion that what happens on and off the field doesn't impact one set of fans much, much more than another set.

----
Get back up on that soapbox and preach it.

UofA '83 Name on the sidewalk on Old Main lawn. Love the Razorbacks! WPS!

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: VBMark on October 06, 2014, 06:41:18 pm

----

This is 2014, it doesn't matter how many people on the football team gets arrested if you're an engineering major.

You're not going to go into an interview, with all of your academic accolades, and get skipped over because some idiot athlete got arrested.

"Boy Tom, I really liked that last guy, he interviewed well,but I just can't hire him because Arkansas' football team had 8 kids arrested last year."

What you're saying sounds fine but it just isn't going to happen. Athletics and academics are completely different monsters.

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Augustus

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 06, 2014, 07:53:16 pm
This is 2014, it doesn't matter how many people on the football team gets arrested if you're an engineering major.

You're not going to go into an interview, with all of your academic accolades, and get skipped over because some idiot athlete got arrested.

"Boy Tom, I really liked that last guy, he interviewed well,but I just can't hire him because Arkansas' football team had 8 kids arrested last year."

What you're saying sounds fine but it just isn't going to happen. Athletics and academics are completely different monsters.

If any company's HR personnel is actually putting weight into what an applicant's chosen school's football program is doing/has done, they are doing a piss poor job.  Yes, I understand it still happens (especially with companies in, say, Alabama? Auburn vs Bama grad?) But it would still be a stupid business decision for that to actually impact corporate hiring practices.

But, I can understand the premise of the VBMark's argument.  Think about how Penn State alumns felt about their Alma Mater, after the Sandusky scandal? Especially if they were looking for a job in New York?

To me, Coach B developing uncommon men is the one of the top things I take pride in about our current program. Absolutely no arrests of players this year?  Both Bielema and Anderson have raised the grades performance of the student athletes in their time here? Hog Players coming to volunteer in Central Ark after tornadoes?  The wins will come, but in the meantime, our Coach is building a program everyone (alumns and non) can be very proud of.

After all, this generation of Hog Players will be our next generation of Insurance Business Owners, Radio and TV Hosts, Directors of Touchdown Clubs & Frank Broyles' Awards, Owners of Car Dealerships, etc, etc, etc... in this State.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: Augustus on October 06, 2014, 08:19:39 pm
If any company's HR personnel is actually putting weight into what an applicant's chosen school's football program is doing/has done, they are doing a piss poor job.  Yes, I understand it still happens (especially with companies in, say, Alabama? Auburn vs Bama grad?) But it would still be a stupid business decision for that to actually impact corporate hiring practices.

But, I can understand the premise of the VBMark's argument.  Think about how Penn State alumns felt about their Alma Mater, after the Sandusky scandal? Especially if they were looking for a job in New York?

To me, Coach B developing uncommon men is the one of the top things I take pride in about our current program. Absolutely no arrests of players this year?  Both Bielema and Anderson have raised the grades performance of the student athletes in their time here? Hog Players coming to volunteer in Central Ark after tornadoes?  The wins will come, but in the meantime, our Coach is building a program everyone (alumns and non) can be very proud of.

After all, this generation of Hog Players will be our next generation of Insurance Business Owners, Radio and TV Hosts, Directors of Touchdown Clubs & Frank Broyles' Awards, Owners of Car Dealerships, etc, etc, etc... in this State.

Absolutely, if Burt starts raping kids it'll have a negative impact on the school and the school's reputation.

Saying you have more to lose than any other fan if some players get arrested is just ridiculous. It sounds like it makes sense but absolutely does not happen in the real world outside of Bama/Auburn and rivalries like that.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

ricepig

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 06, 2014, 09:08:03 pm
Absolutely, if Burt starts raping kids it'll have a negative impact on the school and the school's reputation.

Saying you have more to lose than any other fan if some players get arrested is just ridiculous. It sounds like it makes sense but absolutely does not happen in the real world outside of Bama/Auburn and rivalries like that.

Burt?? If you're not an alum, than you can't speak of what you would or wouldn't lose as an alum, correct?

Atlhogfan1

Disrespectful. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: ricepig on October 06, 2014, 09:11:20 pm
Burt?? If you're not an alum, than you can't speak of what you would or wouldn't lose as an alum, correct?

Did I say I was or wasn't an alum?

Obviously you aren't. Than doesn't mean the same thing as then. Just saying.

The Great Hogsby

Augustus

WOW. I understand that you wish Petrino was still here, or we hired Malzahn instead of anyone else, in 2012...

I understand you don't like our current Coach....

But your eagerness to say something, anything about "Burt" raping kids... you're just tipping your hand a bit much.   

ricepig

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 06, 2014, 09:13:42 pm
Did I say I was or wasn't an alum?

Obviously you aren't. Than doesn't mean the same the same thing as then. Just saying.

Wrong as usual Class of 1980,  my name is east of Mullins.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: ricepig on October 06, 2014, 09:19:01 pm
Wrong as usual Class of 1980,  my name is east of Mullins.

Well I can promise you one thing, bad grammar will cost you a job way before what some football player does will.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: Augustus on October 06, 2014, 09:18:39 pm
WOW. I understand that you wish Petrino was still here, or we hired Malzahn instead of anyone else, in 2012...

I understand you don't like our current Coach....

But your eagerness to say something, anything about "Burt" raping kids... you're just tipping your hand a bit much.

This was all caused by BB's offensive line being too big to be effective.

ricepig

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 06, 2014, 09:20:55 pm
Well I can promise you one thing, bad grammar will cost you a job way before what some football player does will.

Which doesn't address what my post said, poor attempt at deflection.

Augustus

Quote from: ricepig on October 06, 2014, 09:25:00 pm
Which doesn't address what my post said, poor attempt at deflection.

He's a Bielema hater, Rice... it doesn't matter what you say or what the discussion is, that will be the crux of his argument.

ChicoHog

Quote from: umpqua on October 06, 2014, 06:50:55 pm
Get back up on that soapbox and preach it.

UofA '83 Name on the sidewalk on Old Main lawn. Love the Razorbacks! WPS!
I'm an '83 grad also.  Great senior year! 

ricepig

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 06, 2014, 09:26:12 pm
Do you honestly believe what a kid does on a football team has any bearing on whether or not you get a job?

I never said that, I said as alums, we care about more than the football team.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: ricepig on October 06, 2014, 09:40:41 pm
I never said that, I said as alums, we care about more than the football team.

That might be true, absolutely. My original point was that being an alum doesn't make you a better fan.

And I'm sorry about the "Burt" comment.

Augustus

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 06, 2014, 09:42:38 pm
That might be true, absolutely. My original point was that being an alum doesn't make you a better fan.

And I'm sorry about the "Burt" comment.

Nah, it's cool... I mean, it's not like you're the first on this site that wishes we had Malzahn as a coach, or wants to see Bret fail, just to prove their point/agenda.

Assuming you're an Alumn, I think your comments just further proves the OP's point that non-alumns can actually be better fans, and have more invested, than some alumns.

MissippHog

This entire thread is dumb, IMO.  Why is it we always have to label each other?  Can we not just be friends and fans of the Razorbacks?  Darksiders, Sunshine pumpers, T-shirt fans......just stop with it all.

I did NOT attend the UofA.  Like most fans, I purchase Hog gear regularly.  I visit this site regularly.  I watch all the games, attend 1-2 home games a year.  I catch them in Oxford every other year as well as a few other SEC venues.  Razorback license plate, Razorback flag in the front yard, I'm a fan of the team and have been for 30+ years.  It's just silly to me how some of you act.  We're all fans, get over yourselves. 

Bacons Rebellion

Well, my Dad was a t-shirt fan and an Arkansas St. alum. But he took me to Razorback games from the time I was 6, and probably because of that I am an alum fan.

And my kids attend another school 1,000 miles away and are proud t-shirt fans. My son's nickname was "Arkansas" in high school because he wore Razorback hoodies, and my daughter wears her t-shirts in the summer while giving tours at her National Historic Site so tourists from Arkansas will introduce themselves.

So I really don't have a problem with t-shirt fans or alum fans.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on October 07, 2014, 08:36:32 am
Well, my Dad was a t-shirt fan and an Arkansas St. alum. But he took me to Razorback games from the time I was 6, and probably because of that I am an alum fan.

And my kids attend another school 1,000 miles away and are proud t-shirt fans. My son's nickname was "Arkansas" in high school because he wore Razorback hoodies, and my daughter wears her t-shirts in the summer while giving tours at her National Historic Site so tourists from Arkansas will introduce themselves.

So I really don't have a problem with t-shirt fans or alum fans.

There is no difference whatsoever in the two. If you support the Hogs you are a fan, if you don't you're not. Pretty simple.

By the way, it's the elitist attitude of some of these "alum" fans on here that keeps putting a divide in the fanbase.

VBMark

The thoughts that how your university is perceived has not impact on how a new job applicant is viewed is pretty disingenous. A new college grad really ONLY has his/her education to fall back on. If a school is "making up classes" ala UNC or tolerating child molestors ala Penn State, then it will certainly impact how you are viewed by others. That's a fact, Jack.

If you don't believe that, then you likely have never been on the hiring side of the desk for college graduates.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: VBMark on October 07, 2014, 12:36:41 pm
The thoughts that how your university is perceived has not impact on how a new job applicant is viewed is pretty disingenous. A new college grad really ONLY has his/her education to fall back on. If a school is "making up classes" ala UNC or tolerating child molestors ala Penn State, then it will certainly impact how you are viewed by others. That's a fact, Jack.

If you don't believe that, then you likely have never been on the hiring side of the desk for college graduates.

I have hired a lot of people in my day so I just want to get that out of the way first.

My point is this, if you come from a school that is known for having a great engineering program, you will be viewed based on how you did in that program against your peers. In no way will a couple of bad seeds in the football program have any bearing on that whatsoever.

People in this thread want to keep throwing Penn State up like it is the norm but it's not, it's the extreme. A few players arrested does not equal a child molestation case.

Now, to get back to the point about that meaning more to the students than it does an everyday, casual fan. Sure, the school being viewed poorly has more of an effect on you than someone not affiliated with the school. However, that has absolutely no bearing on who is or isn't the better fan.

Should an old man who puts dollar after dollar into the football program over the course of 60 years be viewed as less a fan than some 25 year old graduate that goes to a game or two a year?

DeltaBoy

It helps in some cases , LR back in the mid 1980s was a hot bed for Sigma Nu Frat connections. If you were not SN you might as well apply elsewhere. It can be very regionalized or localized.
I am proud of the UA and it system schools but My Daughter while a Hog fan doesn't want to go to a school that big. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.