Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McKinney starting next Sunday

Started by Wisco Pig, February 10, 2018, 02:05:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisco Pig

Per Nate Allen in yesterday's Southwest Times Record and other papers around the state.  I presume that a version of the same story appeared in the Democrat-Gazette, but it's behind a paywall for me.

Anyway, here is Allen's lede: "Not completely healthy even while earning All-SEC honors pitching to a 5-1 mark with a 2.90 ERA for the 2015 Arkansas Razorbacks, and plagued by a hip injury that left him at 1-5 with a 6.66 ERA in 2016, then redshirting in 2017 after Tommy John elbow surgery, Keaton McKinney is proving himself fit again.

Arkansas coach Dave Van Horn concurs, and Thursday penciled the junior right-hander to follow Blaine Knight and Isaiah Campbell in the season-opening starting rotation when Bucknell University visits Baum Stadium for the Feb. 16-18 three-game series."

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20180209/ua-baseball-diamond-hogs-healing-ahead-of-opener

bulldog04

KM must be healthy and pitching well.  Didn't expect this and it's huge for our team

DeltaHog66

looking forward to seeing him pitch..

Tony Perkis

Great! Looking forward to watching him again.

Mr.Gruntastic

I couldn't be more happy for an individual.
Way to work hard Keaton!  Such an inspiration.  As Micheal Irvin once sad "Get up, look up, and never give up"!

thebignasty

I read somewhere, and I think it was linked from this forum but I don't recall, that Van Horn thinks starting him is easier on him even if he can only go 3 innings, than working him out of the pen.  I figure he'll be on a tight pitch count and watched real close.

Keaton deserves it.  Hope he has a great season for us.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Kevin

Our fans should give him a standing ovation when he takes the bump
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Kevin on February 10, 2018, 06:53:05 pm
Our fans should give him a standing ovation when he takes the bump

He deserves it
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

SPAL

Just imagine....this guy is our SUNDAY starter. If he is anywhere close to where he was in showcase games out of high school.....we are going to have a sick rotation with Murphy holding down midweek starts.

AHiD

Btw, this probably means we'll return Murphy and McKinney next year and have yet another outstanding rotation.
My name...is Jerruh

hogwild04

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 10, 2018, 11:59:17 pm
Btw, this probably means we'll return Murphy and McKinney next year and have yet another outstanding rotation.
Ready to see what this year brings first, but pitching staff looks solid for next few years, Murphy. McKinney, Bonnin, Rutledge, and Bolden possible next year, But McKinney starting Sunday is a testament to that young man and for the coaches who never gave up on him,  don't know the young man but may have a tear in my eye when he takes the field.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 10, 2018, 11:59:17 pm
More than likely neither one of them will be back.

If McKinney shows 90-93 this year consistently with that change and an improved curveball, he could be a top 100 pick in June.  Murphy could be a top 5 round pick in June as well even as a midweek starter.  If he is 88-92 with that breaking ball which consistently misses bats, he will be a good draft pick.

I'm so excited that McKinney will be getting a start this early on.  If his velo is up like DVH says it is and he has added a curve, he is going to be an excellent Sunday starter.

Southpaw Hawg

That change up is the great equalizer in his arsenal for sure.  Makes 90 look 96-97 if he spotting up that fastball.  Love seeing a great change up from a college pitcher, it's almost a forgotten pitch recently.