Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Post-Bielema Wisconsin

Started by Tejano Jawg, December 31, 2017, 12:02:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Pretty dang solid. This year 13-1 with a loss to Ohio State (who should probably be in the tournament). Tonight they looked fast, and their QB could sling it. This was a fun game to watch.

As has been said before, Bielema benefitted from the program that Alvarez built. And their program hasn't really missed a beat since BB left. With the freshmen they have, don't seem them dropping off anytime soon.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

AirWarren

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 31, 2017, 12:02:42 am
Pretty dang solid. This year 13-1 with a loss to Ohio State (who should probably be in the tournament). Tonight they looked fast, and their QB could sling it. This was a fun game to watch.

As has been said before, Bielema benefitted from the program that Alvarez built. And their program hasn't really missed a beat since BB left. With the freshmen they have, don't seem them dropping off anytime soon.

Wisconsin is a sound, disciplined football machine.

Flrazrback

There was not much fall off, if any in the Badgers when BB left. Is that due to the staff he left in place or a testament to his predecessor?  Very solid team

AirWarren

Quote from: Flrazrback on December 31, 2017, 12:13:07 am
There was not much fall off, if any in the Badgers when BB left. T

And Wisconsin was not slow tonight.

Miami is far from slow and Wisconsin stayed with them step for step.

RagingHawgOn

Smite the hell outta me but I continue to believe CBB had us on track to win. I was more than willing to give him one more year. Watch what Morris does with the guys on the roster. Quality athletes and quality kids.

FWIW, attended my first Hog game in LR vs. USC and Anthony Davis. I've seen many ups and downs over the years. I believe we're looking at ups because of an incredible foundation laid by CBB. And, I believe CM will capitalize and I'm 100% on board!

WPS and GHG!!!!

195bc

Chryst was the Wisconsin offensive coordinator before BB was head coach and for the first 6 of his 7 years. He's a good coach. And Gary Anderson, who was there for two years after BB left, is a good coach.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: AP85 on December 31, 2017, 12:08:40 am

Agree. Can't tell you how impressed I was with them tonight. I've seen parts of a few Badger games this year, but frankly I don't give 2 turds about the Big 10, so I wasn't paying much attention.

I know there were questions about their schedule strength, but there usually are with most Big 10 teams. But other than Ohio State, they won them all. They could've stumbled on some spare team, but didn't.

Rbill

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on December 31, 2017, 12:19:41 am
Smite the hell outta me but I continue to believe CBB had us on track to win. I was more than willing to give him one more year. Watch what Morris does with the guys on the roster. Quality athletes and quality kids.

FWIW, attended my first Hog game in LR vs. USC and Anthony Davis. I've seen many ups and downs over the years. I believe we're looking at ups because of an incredible foundation laid by CBB. And, I believe CM will capitalize and I'm 100% on board!

WPS and GHG!!!!

I can't help but read "watch what Morris does with the guys on the roster" and wonder why that isn't supposed to be an indictment of Bielema's coaching abilities.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Rbill on December 31, 2017, 12:45:49 am
I can't help but read "watch what Morris does with the guys on the roster" and wonder why that isn't supposed to be an indictment of Bielema's coaching abilities.
It is. He threw bielema to the wolves and didn't even realize it lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

IronHog

Quote from: AP85 on December 31, 2017, 12:08:40 am

That on it's best years would be 3-4 in the SEC West

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

WPS and GHG!!!!

Lots of nice kids that had zero fight or toughness

Once he ran out of BPs players his team got SOFT.  There was no fixing it

Mike_e

Maybe CCM will go on a nuttesque run like the nutts did after taking over for Danny Ford.

Hogville likes to rag on coach Ford but that guy took over a smoldering heap and brought in some PLAYERS and made them as mean as a junkyard dog fed on gunpowder and habaneros.

Slimming down and reconditioning our guys this winter and spring should do wonders.

If CCM can just manage to not overwhelm the guys with too much playbook next year we could be looking at a fine start to his time here.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hoginsavga

Quote from: IronHog on December 31, 2017, 08:07:43 am

Lol, Wisconsin would have competed for the SEC West championship this year and perhaps won the SEC championship. Good football is played in the Big 10, Big 12 and ACC. If you don't believe this look at the results of the bowl games. Wisconsin beat LSU either last year or the year before. They beat Auburn in a bowl game a couple of years ago. Beat us when we had McFadden and other great players.

Yes I am a fan of the SEC but I also will not deny that the SEC West has been overrated the past few years. This year IMO Wisconsin is better than any SEC West team other than maybe Bama. I sometimes think some Hog fans use this perceived notion that the SEC West is so great as an excuse for our poor performance of the past few years. I hope the SEC can rise up on Monday and save some respect but as of today we are looking like the fourth best conference, ahead of only the PAC 12.

Redhogs

WPS and GHG!!!!
Funny...you destroyed your own "In love Bert" case....worst coach @ AR. in my life time. :-* :( :( :(
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

rtr

Quote from: Mike_e on December 31, 2017, 08:17:42 am
Maybe CCM will go on a nuttesque run like the nutts did after taking over for Danny Ford.

Hogville likes to rag on coach Ford but that guy took over a smoldering heap and brought in some PLAYERS and made them as mean as a junkyard dog fed on gunpowder and habaneros.

Slimming down and reconditioning our guys this winter and spring should do wonders.

If CCM can just manage to not overwhelm the guys with too much playbook next year we could be looking at a fine start to his time here.
Truth.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rtr

Quote from: Hoginsavga on December 31, 2017, 08:35:46 amBeat us when we had McFadden and other great players.
Hootie had us a hot mess that game, team in turmoil, offense a mess because he just run off Gus, Mustain email, texting his favorite news anchor etc.  However, our defense held their powerful ground attack to 5 yards rushing. That made me skeptical of CBB when we hired him.  Arkansas on a normal day that year would have beaten Wisky by 4 touchdowns or more.

I do agree that this edition of the Badgers can compete with anyone, so could the Barry Alvarez editions.

bennyl08

Quote from: 195bc on December 31, 2017, 12:29:58 am
Chryst was the Wisconsin offensive coordinator before BB was head coach and for the first 6 of his 7 years. He's a good coach. And Gary Anderson, who was there for two years after BB left, is a good coach.

Chryst is a good coach for sure.

Gary Anderson definitely had a bright future back from his days in Utah and showed some promise at Wiscy. However, since the 59-0 drupping from Ohio St, I'd rather have Smiley. Watching the hogs this season was akin to watching a Saban coached team in comparison to the beaver games the past two years.

Then to be fired mid-season is quite rare, and the coach agree to not be paid any buyout...? Certainly leads to a lot of speculation.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GlassofSwine

Wisconsin is a solid football team but they has a supremely favorable schedule. 7 of their wins where against teams that didn't have winning records and they play in one of the weaker divisions in P5 football.

RazorWest

Someone hasn't watched the SEC West the past three years. Disgraceful compared to the years prior. You do realize Bama played no one decent this year except auburn and lost that game.  The rest of the power 5 conferences have caught up. Mainly due to terrible coaching hires in the SEC.

naturalbornpigger

Quote from: RazorWest on December 31, 2017, 09:27:52 am
Someone hasn't watched the SEC West the past three years. Disgraceful compared to the years prior. You do realize Bama played no one decent this year except auburn and lost that game.  The rest of the power 5 conferences have caught up. Mainly due to terrible coaching hires in the SEC.
Wisconsin has a winning record in any division of any conference this season - no doubt.  If you question that, then you haven't been watching them play - or just don't know jack.

Hoggish1

Same program with or without BB.  Therefore it's safe to say the success is the Alvarez factor.  Actually, WI is a little better now that when BB was there.  So the current coach has added a little of his own to mix.

naturalbornpigger

Quote from: GlassofSwine on December 31, 2017, 09:26:19 am
Wisconsin is a solid football team but they has a supremely favorable schedule. 7 of their wins where against teams that didn't have winning records and they play in one of the weaker divisions in P5 football.
This is really funny... seven of their THIRTEEN wins are being discounted...  I think they are a little better than "solid."

farmhawg

WPS and GHG!!!!
I guess you choose to ignore the results of year 5.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hoginsavga on December 31, 2017, 08:35:46 am
Lol, Wisconsin would have competed for the SEC West championship this year and perhaps won the SEC championship. Good football is played in the Big 10, Big 12 and ACC. If you don't believe this look at the results of the bowl games. Wisconsin beat LSU either last year or the year before. They beat Auburn in a bowl game a couple of years ago. Beat us when we had McFadden and other great players.

Yes I am a fan of the SEC but I also will not deny that the SEC West has been overrated the past few years. This year IMO Wisconsin is better than any SEC West team other than maybe Bama. I sometimes think some Hog fans use this perceived notion that the SEC West is so great as an excuse for our poor performance of the past few years. I hope the SEC can rise up on Monday and save some respect but as of today we are looking like the fourth best conference, ahead of only the PAC 12.

DMac was not close to 100% that game due to horsecollar tackles. He was tackled with one on our first possession.  Had he been healthy it would have been a TD

Herring embarrassed the Wisky oline with some 5 man fronts.  Joe Thomas was on that line.  Completely out coached their offense. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LRRandy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 31, 2017, 09:54:54 am
DMac was not close to 100% that game due to horsecollar tackles. He was tackled with one on our first possession.  Had he been healthy it would have been a TD

Herring embarrassed the Wisky oline with some 5 man fronts.  Joe Thomas was on that line.  Completely out coached their offense.
and yet when you look at the record book it says Wisconsin W.
This is fun, isn't it.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: LRRandy on December 31, 2017, 10:03:35 am
Read my mind, CBB didn't work out here but when at Wisconsin he beat one of the best teams we have fielded.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 31, 2017, 10:15:05 am
Read my mind, CBB didn't work out here but when at Wisconsin he beat one of the best teams we have fielded.

Not nearly the same team as it was when our backs were healthy. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Enjoy the playoff games now that your season is done.

LRRandy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 31, 2017, 10:18:07 am
Enjoy the playoff games now that your season is done.
I will. I love college football. Am curious to see if the weakness of the sec has inflated Georgia and Bama's records or if they are what their rankings indicate they are.
This is fun, isn't it.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 31, 2017, 10:17:17 am
Not nearly the same team as it was when our backs were healthy.
Sure, I get where you are coming from.  I could make the same argument about this year's team too.  If only we had RWIII, Cornelius, Pulley, Hayden, Ragnow, and Allen.

HogBreath

This year IMO Wisconsin is better than any SEC West team other than maybe Bama. 

Apparently Bama really is a great team, even getting manhandled by Auburn can't dislodge the mighty Tide from being the best.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 31, 2017, 09:54:54 am

Herring took'em to school.

Wisconsin reminds me of Arkansas in the old SWC days.  Beat 1 or 2 very good teams and you got a good chance of being in the top 10 seasons end.  Wisconsin won all but 1 this year and should and will receive the benefits of that.

I had Bret pegged as an 8 win type coach on average for Arkansas and I was dead wrong.  He settled in at 5.8 so he proved to be a 6 win type coach.  Maybe Bret can find another Wisconsin situation and put his stellar career back to work.

Let me remind you that the SEC was ready for someone to make a move these past 2 years.  Maybe not to the top, but certainly move up.  So Auburn and Georgia accepted the opportunity and did make their move while Arkansas moved down.  That should tell the intelligent observer all they need to know, Hoginsavga

colbs

10x easier to keep a program going vs rebuild a team in the toughest conference.

FATHAWG08

They showed a stat at the first of the game showing Wisconsin had 16 4-star players.Miami had 46 4-star players.
I love off season Football!!

AirWarren

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2017, 09:46:58 am
It is not often you can make this observation about a Big 10 (er, 12) team compared to a team from the south.

Ohio State. Michigan. Wisconsin. All three teams have legit speed.

AirWarren

Maybe so.

But Wisconsin won the Orange bowl last night against an 11-2 Miami team and Wisconsin finishes 13-1 with its only loss to Ohio State.

I'd take a 13-1 record any day of the week. Heck we are still trying to figure out how to get a 3 yard run to convert into a first down....

HiggiePiggy

13-1. Best win this year was Miami.  They played 6 teams with losing records.  I'm sure they are a decent team, but their schedule was great for them this year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Melancholy_Pigg

Badger football did not "drop off" after Bielema left because Bielema had little to do with the success of WI football. 

Go look up some Madison Register articles about Bielema, Anderson and Chryst. 

It is comical.  They unloaded their trash on us for a fortune and would not be playing New Year's Day had he stayed.

His success there broken down year by year is also interesting.  He was hardly kicking butt and taking names.  2 of his years there the Badgers started ranked and tumbled out of the top 25.  His great 2 year run coincided with bans on OSU playing.   

Nebraska's AD floated Bielema's name for that job and boy howdy - that went nowhere fast.

"Why" Bielema failed is an easy question to answer if you do a little homework. 

IronHog

Go back and look at the Cap 1 Bowl.  Wisc had 7 yards rushing and gave up like 5 sacks.

I warned this board what was coming after B.B. bragged about that got his tail whipped but won game in the press conference.

As far as LSU they barely beat a lame duck Miles at Lambeau field

They are a decent team that plays a WEAK schedule

IronHog

It says Nutt was a MOTHO

B.B. and Wisky did nothing but get their teeth kicked in that game while Nutt goobered his 3rd game in a row away

IronHog

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=270010275

It was the battle of wills to see who could pull defeats from the jaws of victory.  Nutt managed to squander a huge rushing advantage though.

IronHog

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on December 31, 2017, 10:23:25 am
I will. I love college football. Am curious to see if the weakness of the sec has inflated Georgia and Bama's records or if they are what their rankings indicate they are.

We will see.  They both could certainly a mirror of the typical TOSU team of the last couple decades of so. 

I only think UGA has a shot to win tomorrow.  Bama doesn't have the QB nor the LB play to win tomorrow. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

AirWarren

They won 12 games in 2006, 9 wins in 2007, 7 wins in 2008, 10 wins in 2009, 11 wins in 2010, 11 wins in 2011, 8 wins in 2012, 9 wins in 2013, 11 wins in 2014, 10 wins in 2015, 11 wins in 2016, and 13 wins this year.

I would love to consistently have those win totals and be in the national conversation year in and year out.

Arkansas has way more talent and speed in 2007. So did Miami in 2017. Yet, they play good disciplined football and win. This weak schedule garbage is for the birds.

IronHog

Quote from: AP85 on January 01, 2018, 12:25:41 am
They won 12 games in 2006, 9 wins in 2007, 7 wins in 2008, 10 wins in 2009, 11 wins in 2010, 11 wins in 2011, 8 wins in 2012, 9 wins in 2013, 11 wins in 2014, 10 wins in 2015, 11 wins in 2016, and 13 wins this year.

I would love to consistently have those win totals and be in the national conversation year in and year out.

Arkansas has way more talent and speed in 2007. So did Miami in 2017. Yet, they play good disciplined football and win. This weak schedule garbage is for the birds.

Play a schedule like Wisc and a team can have more wins.

They would NOT be a top 10 team if they played an SEC west schedule

holeinthewall

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on December 31, 2017, 11:25:11 am
They showed a stat at the first of the game showing Wisconsin had 16 4-star players.Miami had 46 4-star players.

Did you also catch the part about Wisconsin starting 10 players on Defense that were in their 4th year of eligibility?  Miami has 9 scholarship SR on the entire team.  Miami started 1 SR and 5 JR, 5 SO.

Miami will only get better in year 3-4 with Richt.

ThisTeetsTaken

They've been better since Bielema.  Even through a couple coaching changes.   Alvarez is a great AD.  Real hands on. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: holeinthewall on January 01, 2018, 02:12:11 am
Did you also catch the part about Wisconsin starting 10 players on Defense that were in their 4th year of eligibility?  Miami has 9 scholarship SR on the entire team.  Miami started 1 SR and 5 JR, 5 SO.

Miami will only get better in year 3-4 with Richt.

Not really. This will probably the closest Richt will get to a playoff.  It's what he does.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?