Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The angst old Hog fans feel

Started by Cavehog, October 04, 2015, 12:07:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavehog

comes from growing up, yes, in the good old days.  We played for National Championships with home grown talent in one of the toughest football conferences in the country. It's hard coming to grips with the fact that our last, best chance to do that again, ended up in a ditch next to a ho' and a motorcycle. On the other hand, Hogs are nothing if not resilient.
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

STLHogFan

Sorry but Petrino would never have won a national championship at Arkansas.
BEVO - It's what's for dinner.

Cavehog

Quote from: STLHogFan on October 04, 2015, 12:11:05 am
Sorry but Petrino would never have won a national championship at Arkansas.

You're right.  The only way you can win one is fight your way into the top ten.  No wait, he did that.
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

STLHogFan

STLHogFan

Defense wins championships. Petrino didn't care about defense.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: STLHogFan on October 04, 2015, 12:14:59 am
Yea and then LSU blows you out.

Bobby did win a NC in dropping F-bombs across the field at an opposing coach, though. LOL
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

aar0n

QuoteWe played for National Championships

Apparently I am unaware of the era in which we played for national championshipS?  When was this, in the 60s when we "won" ONE national championship, and that wasn't even unanimous?  And we've never truly "played" for a national championship, in fact it was mostly awarded before the bowl games were even played.

I'm tired of this "we expect greatness because we were great 50 years ago!!" nonsense ruining any positive steps this team makes.  It's not the 60s anymore, and we are not amongst the elite, storied programs in college football.  We make good money, have had some pretty good years here and there, and play in the most visible and popular conference in the country, but WE ARE NOT ABOVE LOSING TO TALENTED MID-LEVEL TEAMS.  We aren't Alabama with 5* players in every position on the field.  Get over it already and stop using our distant history as an excuse to pout and throw fits.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Cavehog on October 04, 2015, 12:07:54 am
comes from growing up, yes, in the good old days.  We played for National Championships with home grown talent in one of the toughest football conferences in the country. It's hard coming to grips with the fact that our last, best chance to do that again, ended up in a ditch next to a ho' and a motorcycle. On the other hand, Hogs are nothing if not resilient.

C'mon man... Why she gotta be a ho? She was wrong. But easy to see how she could have gotten into that situation.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: aar0n on October 04, 2015, 12:20:25 am
Apparently I am unaware of the era in which we played for national championshipS?  When was this, in the 60s when we "won" ONE national championship, and that wasn't even unanimous?  And we've never truly "played" for a national championship, in fact it was mostly awarded before the bowl games were even played.

I'm tired of this "we expect greatness because we were great 50 years ago!!" nonsense ruining any positive steps this team makes.  It's not the 60s anymore, and we are not amongst the elite, storied programs in college football.  We make good money, have had some pretty good years here and there, and play in the most visible and popular conference in the country, but WE ARE NOT ABOVE LOSING TO TALENTED MID-LEVEL TEAMS.  We aren't Alabama with 5* players in every position on the field.  Get over it already and stop using our distant history as an excuse to pout and throw fits.

There was a Sports Illustrated article in the mid-80's that named the '77 team that waxed OU 31-6 in the '78 Orange Bowl as one of the best teams that didn't win the NC but should have.

We lost a squeaker to Texas that year and finished 11-1.

Notre Dame lost to a bad Ole Piss team that year but beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl and took home the mythical title.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

verticalhog

OK, Cavehog.  You're showing your age.  In the mid-70's I remember being on Dickson and asking the Bud Man which bar was the next stop (and he told us).  Those were some absolutely insane times but in the 4 years of my undergrad studies (fall of 1972 through fall of 1975) we never beat Texas :(  In my senior year we did win the SWC and beat Georgia in the Cotton Bowl.  Even if I've had to live through the heartbreaks, I've always had fun being a Hog fan.  Hey, we live in a small, poor state and somehow we've occassionally been in the national conversation.  I'll turn 62 in a few days, I work in California while living in Arkansas, and I proudly wear my Hog gear on every flight I take, be that to LAX or India. Go Hogs!!!

STLHogFan

I doubt we will ever win a national championship. Especially playing in the SEC

pigture perfect

Some of you guys that think everyone needs a participation trophy need to realize, you play knowing that you may lose, but are willing to risk it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

verticalhog

Not sure who you're referring to in terms of people who think participants should get a "participation trophy."  One of my sons won two gold medals in the Junior Olympics years ago and in the year when he got the silver due to one more miss than his competitor (cleared the same height and jumped to set a national AAU record), I had to force him to go to the medals stand to accept the silver medal.  As I went out to the parking lot in Cleveland to tell him to go accept the medal, his statement was, "I didn't come here for a silver medal."  So, NO, I never want a participation ribbon.  I want the gold medal.  However, I do realize that in the SEC, it's tough to get one.

Cavehog

Quote from: aar0n on October 04, 2015, 12:20:25 am

Pout? Boy I was sh*tting nails before you were born. Go online and look at how many times in the 60' and 70's Arkansas was on the cover of Sports Illustrated because we were in the hunt.  I'd rather be in the hunt than saying every year we can't compete but at least we're not living in the good old days.

aar0n

Quote from: Cavehog on October 04, 2015, 01:07:52 am
Pout? Boy I was sh*tting nails before you were born. Go online and look at how many times in the 60' and 70's Arkansas was on the cover of Sports Illustrated because we were in the hunt.  I'd rather be in the hunt than saying every year we can't compete but at least we're not living in the good old days.

Yeah you know who else used to be good?  Texas.  And it wasn't even THAT long ago, let alone 40-50 years. 

Moral of the story: s#%t happens, that's how college football works or it wouldn't be exciting.  Just because you were a good team at one time doesn't mean that's always the case.  Cool, we were on the cover of the sports illustrated in the 70s, we should be EXPECTING national championships now and throwing out-right bitchfits when it doesn't happen! 

verticalhog

Quote from: aar0n on October 04, 2015, 01:14:13 am
Yeah you know who else used to be good?  Texas.  And it wasn't even THAT long ago, let alone 40-50 years. 

Moral of the story: s#%t happens, that's how college football works or it wouldn't be exciting.  Just because you were a good team at one time doesn't mean that's always the case.  Cool, we were on the cover of the sports illustrated in the 70s, we should be EXPECTING national championships now and throwing out-right bitchfits when it doesn't happen! 
OK, look at Nebraska and Miami.  They were national powerhouses with tough situations (Nebraska has a smaller population than Arkansas and "the U" is a small private school with NO local fan base) that became very successful.  So, it IS possible for a "backwater" program like Arkansas to be a national player (for goodness sakes, Boise freaking State became relevant for a while) and it can even be sustained for a period of years (see Nebraska).  A school just needs to have a vision (unfortunately, I think CBB has more of a vision than AD Jeff Long does).  We don't have one right now.

redeye

If Petrino had stayed at Arkansas, we would have won 2-3 more games in 2012 and continued to struggle for the next few years.  We never had the talent to win the SEC with his best teams and the talent was drying up.  Petrino could probably win the SEC at Alabama, but he didn't recruit well enough to do it at Arkansas and recruiting just kept getting worse.

That's all beside the point, because Petrino's gone and we're wasting energy talking about him.  He's a great passing game coordinator, but that's about it and there's much more to football then just throwing the ball.

ronmahony

Quote from: verticalhog on October 04, 2015, 12:34:56 am
OK, Cavehog.  You're showing your age.  In the mid-70's I remember being on Dickson and asking the Bud Man which bar was the next stop (and he told us).  Those were some absolutely insane times but in the 4 years of my undergrad studies (fall of 1972 through fall of 1975) we never beat Texas :(  In my senior year we did win the SWC and beat Georgia in the Cotton Bowl.  Even if I've had to live through the heartbreaks, I've always had fun being a Hog fan.  Hey, we live in a small, poor state and somehow we've occassionally been in the national conversation.  I'll turn 62 in a few days, I work in California while living in Arkansas, and I proudly wear my Hog gear on every flight I take, be that to LAX or India. Go Hogs!!!

Yeah I remember those days, I believe the reason we didn't win those years is because that is when they had Earl Campbell wasn't it? Man I hated that guy, lol. We looked like a bunch of high schoolers trying to a pro. I don't believe they had to have a line with him playing! The Tyler Rose! And what was so bad is we had some pretty good teams then. I believe it was 73 maybe when we beat USC west pretty handily.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

lechon

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 04, 2015, 12:26:17 am
C'mon man... Why she gotta be a ho? She was wrong. But easy to see how she could have gotten into that situation.

She was a Ho, an engaged one at that.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

sickboy

Quote from: Cavehog on October 04, 2015, 01:07:52 am

Ok, great! But it's 2015. You're officially the crusty old man complaining about how loud the newspaper is.