Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I feel sorry

Started by rickm1976, October 03, 2015, 09:20:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rickm1976

...for Brandon Allen.  How many times does the kid have a chance to be a hero and hit a wide open receiver in the end zone in a critical situation and end up overthrowing him every time?  You would think the law of averages would eventually work in his favor, but it just never happens.  I feel sorry for the kid, because I'm beginning to believe it's just bad luck, and not his fault at all.

hview

Dropkick

Defense gets the game ball. They refused to let it slip away again.

alohawg

Never gonna change.....unless he changes it.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HatfieldHog

Brandon Allen is a good game manager, but he isn't a clutch player.  This is not a knock on his character, it's just a fact of life.  You could tell it when the pocket began to close on him, he would throw the ball short every time.  Then, of course, the overthrow to Hunter Henry in the endzone. 

His last day of competitive football will be the last game of this season.  He's a good razorback, I'm glad that we've had him. 

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Hogarusa

You don't have to feel sorry for him.  Starting QB for his home state SEC school.  Life is good
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Poker_hog

I wish we develop a 2 min package for one of the other qbs
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 03, 2015, 10:54:55 pm
You don't have to feel sorry for him.  Starting QB for his home state SEC school.  Life is good
This!

MojaveJoe

I think we need a red zone qb. Why not? Just start working with a qb with some mobility in the red zone - that way we get BA's ability to drive and someone else to finish. I'm sure BA won't like it, but he is what he is...

doc53

He has more opportunities ahead.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

hoglady

Quote from: rickm1976 on October 03, 2015, 09:20:39 pm
...for Brandon Allen.  How many times does the kid have a chance to be a hero and hit a wide open receiver in the end zone in a critical situation and end up overthrowing him every time?  You would think the law of averages would eventually work in his favor, but it just never happens.  I feel sorry for the kid, because I'm beginning to believe it's just bad luck, and not his fault at all.

well of course it's his fault.
That's not good or bad luck - it's bad mechanics at crunch time. Not sure about tonight - but most of his other overthrows he's throwing off his back foot. He doesn't get set properly and the ball sails.
BA does some great things as the QB of this team, but his 4th quarter woes are there - there's no denying them.
It's all mental and a confidence issue - he has the physical ability and smarts to do it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sickboy

BA is playing well. I know it sucks. But it's just the reality.

hoglady

If he hasn't seen one already - he needs the help of a sports psychologist.
What happens to him in the 4th quarter in the red zone is all in his head.
(Kinda like the catcher in Major League who couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher).
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 03, 2015, 10:56:25 pm

And how much practice time would you devote to this package?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Dropkick on October 03, 2015, 10:47:59 pm
Defense gets the game ball. They refused to let it slip away again.
we still have to shore up the secondary, there were several dropped balls by Tenner receivers in the second half that would have hurt us.

PP

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

He looked pretty clutch on that throw to HH, on the run, placing it perfectly in between 2 defenders.  I have no problem with him missing HH in the end zone, bc he avoided an INT that would have been much worse.

His head was in the game the entire game, at TN after losing 3 straight.  Showed poise IMO.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

boaron

Quote from: hoglady on October 03, 2015, 11:25:26 pm
well of course it's his fault.
That's not good or bad luck - it's bad mechanics at crunch time. Not sure about tonight - but most of his other overthrows he's throwing off his back foot. He doesn't get set properly and the ball sails.
BA does some great things as the QB of this team, but his 4th quarter woes are there - there's no denying them.
It's all mental and a confidence issue - he has the physical ability and smarts to do it.

"it's bad mechanics at crunch time."  This.  He has happy feet when pressured.  Go back and watch for it if you have it recorded. 

Ouachihog

Sure, there have been plenty of tough moments for the kid, and I have been frustrated at times also.  Here are some things to note though...

- He ranks 11th in the nation in QBR, which is 1st in the SEC.
- He lost an all-sec RB, and his best 2 Receivers to injury in less than 1 month.
- His completion % and yards per attempt are up significantly from last year
- He is on pace to throw for over 3500 yds...over 50% more than last year
- He is averaging 272 passing yards per game
- We would very likely be 3-1 (2-0) if not for penalties that are largely out of his control.

He also won a 4th quarter game yesterday.  A 4th quarter game against a desperate SEC team...On the road...with some questionable coaching decisions that are also out of his control.

So yeah, he has made some mistakes, and had more tough moments than any QB should, but he has also handled every, single one of them with 100% class.  I'm proud as heck of the guy, and happy to have him as our QB.

"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

BorderPatrol

If yall are talking about the Hunter Henry overthrow, go back and check the replay. Tennessee had a robber sneaking in, BA picked him up and to make the throw, it had to be higher than he liked. Doubt if he would have liked it THAT high, but it was much better than an INT.

But carry on the BA hate. Don't let me interrupt.

bp

Dionysos25

There were a couple of 3rd downs he converted that may have won the game for us. I thought he was clutch in a couple of situations excluding the sailing pass into the end zone.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

Uberanubis

Quote from: hview on October 03, 2015, 10:46:55 pm
BA played a good game!

by the numbers BA has played well in all games this year. this game was no different then the last 4, other then we held on to win
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Quote from: BorderPatrol on October 04, 2015, 09:16:11 am
If yall are talking about the Hunter Henry overthrow, go back and check the replay. Tennessee had a robber sneaking in, BA picked him up and to make the throw, it had to be higher than he liked. Doubt if he would have liked it THAT high, but it was much better than an INT.

But carry on the BA hate. Don't let me interrupt.

bp

Agreed.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: boaron on October 04, 2015, 09:10:43 am
"it's bad mechanics at crunch time."  This.  He has happy feet when pressured.  Go back and watch for it if you have it recorded.
those happy feet work just fine when we need them

PP

East TN HAWG

I think he tenses up in red zone, and simply does not want to make a mistake.  He then goes a little too conservative.  He throws the ball high so only Henry can catch it.  However, he tends to throw it to high too Henry.  He is the anti-Brett Farve.

Quote from: East TN HAWG on October 04, 2015, 09:51:05 am
I think he tenses up in red zone, and simply does not want to make a mistake.  He then goes a little too conservative.  He throws the ball high so only Henry  an catch it.  However, he tends to throw it to high too Henry.  He is the anti-Brett Farve.

Favre?  Pretty tough comparison to live up to..

East TN HAWG

I'm saying he is the opposite of Farve.  Allen rarely forces a throw.  He throws away a lot balls.  Allen is very conservative.  That is good when your driving down the field.  In the red zone the windows are significantly smaller.

Farve was a big gambler.

Quote from: East TN HAWG on October 04, 2015, 09:57:20 am
I'm saying he is the opposite of Farve.  Allen rarely forces a throw.  He throws away a lot balls.  Allen is very conservative.  That is good when your driving down the field.  In the red zone the windows are significantly smaller.

Farve was a big gambler.

Gotcha

Kevin

The pass to hh on the run down the sideline, was big time
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 04, 2015, 08:55:20 am
we still have to shore up the secondary, there were several dropped balls by Tenner receivers in the second half that would have hurt us.

PP
My opinion, and we all know what those are worth: When we shore up the lb spots and the DL begins to get pressure, our secondary will look pretty good. They are being hung out on an island on many plays and that will make most short of Neon Deon or Revis look bad.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

elksnort

Quote from: PorcineSublime on October 04, 2015, 10:10:28 am
My opinion, and we all know what those are worth: When we shore up the lb spots and the DL begins to get pressure, our secondary will look pretty good. They are being hung out on an island on many plays and that will make most short of Neon Deon or Revis look bad.
Agree..Flowers Philon and Spaight masked these deficiencies last year

hoglady

I was really happy for BA last night.
He is one of the best QB's in the SEC.
Discussion of some 4th quarter problems is not bashing.
Hopefully the win last night will give BA and the team the confidence to get past them.
BA has had as tough a go at QB as any Hog ever has - except maybe Casey Dick / the constant turnover of OC's is difficult.

Kevin

Quote from: hoglady on October 04, 2015, 10:16:12 am
I was really happy for BA last night.
He is one of the best QB's in the SEC.
Discussion of some 4th quarter problems is not bashing.
Hopefully the win last night will give BA and the team the confidence to get past them.
BA has had as tough a go at QB as any Hog ever has - except maybe Casey Dick / the constant turnover of OC's is difficult.

Tyler Wilson was the toughest qb at Arkansas imo
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hoglady

Quote from: Kevin on October 04, 2015, 10:17:10 am
Tyler Wilson was the toughest qb at Arkansas imo

I would put Stoerner up there with him.
Tyler had it good though - he had Petrino for every year except one.
BA has been with BP, PP and JLS, Chaney and now Enos - that's a lot of changing offenses.

ronmahony

Quote from: ChitownHawg on October 04, 2015, 08:09:52 am
And how much practice time would you devote to this package?

Well I don't know it could work, remember Tim Tebow his freshman year? They brought him in in the red zone all the time, and it worked pretty well.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

secneahog

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 03, 2015, 10:56:25 pm

Omg....this isn't baseball you goof.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

pigroots

BA played a great game vs Texas A&M except for 1 throw to Sprinkle. He's been about as good as anyone could have expected this year. Very heady player

Quote from: hoglady on October 04, 2015, 10:20:06 am
BA has been with BP, PP and JLS, Chaney and now Enos - that's a lot of changing offenses.

As well as being put in a position almost every game this season to have to win it, in an offense not built for that.

This year would be A LOT worse without BA's solid play overall.  The win last night will only help his confidence, as well as those around him who needed to step up(many of them freshmen and 2nd string players) and give the kid some help.  They did so last night.

KlubhouseKonnected

I'm just glad he has won am sec game where he started and our team was not in control of the tempo and scoreboard the entire game. Baby steps, next monkey to get off his back is the game winning big play.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HF#1

Everything he did wrong in that game he made up for on the scramble pass to Reed for the TD.  Not a lot of QB's make that play and he did.  Without it we would have lost.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HF#1 on October 04, 2015, 11:15:46 am
Everything he did wrong in that game he made up for on the scramble pass to Reed for the TD.  Not a lot of QB's make that play and he did.  Without it we would have lost.
he did it twice, the second one went to HH

PP

HF#1

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 04, 2015, 11:29:46 am
he did it twice, the second one went to HH

PP

Just as beautiful of a play...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

phadedhawg

I'm glad we won and our kids got to reap the rewards of hard work.  We can pick at Allen`s bones when we lose but no point in doing it today

October 04, 2015, 12:07:38 pm #42 Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:15:01 pm by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya
Quote from: rickm1976 on October 03, 2015, 09:20:39 pm

Back to the OP - he made plays when it counted last night.  HH was covered on that play in the end zone...it would have taken a perfect throw, that could have been intercepted.

BA has nothing to feel bad about this game.  The system has put him in those positions this season.  Last night, he threw the ball away when he needed to, and took some hard hits after he'd thrown the ball.  ONE turnover and we could have lost that game.  Instead, he kept his poise and did what he needed to do, then let our D do their part.

Many of us have been very vocal about this offense not being our favorite "style" of offense.  But BA did everything that was asked of him, and what he needed to do in order to get the W within the system.

The TEAM got the W.  HE did his part.

We should be happy for him, not feel sorry for him.

If he throws a bunch of game-changing picks, or fumbles the ball at a key moment in the game against 'Bummer(which will probably ALL be key moments if we are competitive), then feel sorry for him.  The games we lost are in the past and the outcomes cannot be changed.  He was being asked to do more than what he practiced for, and that led to those disasters.  Yet he stood up and took the blame without complaining or throwing others under the bus.

He did not "choke" this game.  Without his play, we lose.  The soft throw in between 2 defenders to Hunter Henry, the throws to Morgan, his mistake-free leadership and even his passionate exchange with Enos is what stands out in my mind.