Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How does a team build depth?

Started by Lake City Hog, October 02, 2015, 10:21:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 03, 2015, 08:07:30 am
I hear this a lot and if it is a matter of physical proximity among SEC schools, the distance from Little Rock to the following schools is listed below.

Fayetteville-174 miles
Ole Miss-    218 miles
Missouri-    359 miles
College St-  443 miles

And those are the closest SEC schools, so I guess I don't get this "lack of physical proximity" to the school, thing. Unless we are worried about losing legit Arkansas P-5 talent to ASU, Memphis or UAPB, that should not be an issue.
It's 316 miles from LR to Starkville, 344 miles to Baton Rouge, and 350 miles to Nashville.   ;)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 03, 2015, 08:16:20 am
It's 316 miles from LR to Starkville, 344 miles to Baton Rouge, and 350 miles to Nashville.   ;)

I stand corrected. ;) Still, the point stands.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 03, 2015, 08:22:00 am
I stand corrected. ;) Still, the point stands.

The other point is, there's very little talent in LR, add anywhere from 50-120 miles to that for SEA and SWA kids. That being said, I don't think distance, anything over a 5-6 hour drive effects much in recruiting.

gawntrail

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 02, 2015, 12:18:09 pm
Time.

You can only overhaul a team in small batches with signing limitations, and most of the guys who come in aren't ready to play immediately. Throw in the recruiting disadvantages the Hogs have with the state's lower population and the process takes longer, and any setback is harder to overcome.

Two more reasons to develop a hybrid offense that utilizes the recruits we have available to us.  An Ohio State type of running attack mixed with a Mizzou type of quick passing.  Allows for smaller, quicker linemen; gash type cutback RBs with good hands; possession type receivers; and above avg dual threat QBs.  The total being greater than the sum of its parts.  We can win and be in bowl games.  And win enough, you can recruit better.  When you recruit better you win more.   You get in better bowl games.  You win better bowls you recruit better.  Next thing you know, Hogs are top 10 consistently and get in the NC talk every few years. 

Defensively, we go full throated 3-4 or adapt a 30 type cover 3.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on October 03, 2015, 05:26:46 pm
Two more reasons to develop a hybrid offense that utilizes the recruits we have available to us.  An Ohio State type of running attack mixed with a Mizzou type of quick passing.  Allows for smaller, quicker linemen; gash type cutback RBs with good hands; possession type receivers; and above avg dual threat QBs.  The total being greater than the sum of its parts.  We can win and be in bowl games.  And win enough, you can recruit better.  When you recruit better you win more.   You get in better bowl games.  You win better bowls you recruit better.  Next thing you know, Hogs are top 10 consistently and get in the NC talk every few years. 

Defensively, we go full throated 3-4 or adapt a 30 type cover 3.

So, you are a coach, right? Do you often force a square peg into a round hole, when the personnel available to you (or the personnel that you recruit) doesn't match your personal philosophy? If you do, you probably don't win very much. Stop peeing into the wind, my friend. This isn't your team or philosophy and just because you think it would be successful, doesn't mean that it would be. Besides, this is not what this staff embraces. And Bielema isn't going anywhere for another two years. You might as well chill out.
Go Hogs Go!

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 03, 2015, 08:07:30 am
I hear this a lot and if it is a matter of physical proximity among SEC schools, the distance from Little Rock to the following schools is listed below.

Fayetteville-174 miles
Ole Miss-    218 miles
Missouri-    359 miles
College St-  443 miles

And those are the closest SEC schools, so I guess I don't get this "lack of physical proximity" to the school, thing. Unless we are worried about losing legit Arkansas P-5 talent to ASU, Memphis or UAPB, that should not be an issue.

It's not a matter of losing players to a closer school. It's a matter of losing players to ANYWHERE. We're going to get every decent player from Washington County and, unless they are a recent Wal-Mart supply chain transplant, Benton County.

As you move southeast, you're going to have less attachment to campus and we've always seen that since Hutson went to Alabama. That doesn't help any particular enemy school, but it makes it more likely than the top tier player can be seduced by the Alabamas, Ohio States, and Auburns.

gawntrail

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 03, 2015, 05:36:12 pm
So, you are a coach, right? Do you often force a square peg into a round hole, when the personnel available to you (or the personnel that you recruit) doesn't match your personal philosophy? If you do, you probably don't win very much. Stop peeing into the wind, my friend. This isn't your team or philosophy and just because you think it would be successful, doesn't mean that it would be. Besides, this is not what this staff embraces. And Bielema isn't going anywhere for another two years. You might as well chill out.

I don't coach currently.  Maybe again, but not at this time.

The topic was how to build depth.  Building depth in general is recruiting the best available to your system and managing the expectations of 18-20 yr olds. 

You have to win year in and year out to have a 'be patient, your time will come' philosophy. 

I offered a plan and an opinion on how we can build depth and relevance. 

I want BB to get us to relavence.  If he can do it his way, I'm good.  He's got my support until it appears we're not making progress.  Objectively, our program has progressed.  The record not so much..... and it's not all W-L record.  BUT, there does come a time when W-L does matter. 

This is what we are all debating right now.  And, some simply don't like the reality that the W-L elephant in the room is stinking up the place.

gawntrail

October 04, 2015, 11:38:47 am #57 Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:57:30 am by gawntrail
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 03, 2015, 05:36:12 pm

Just last week, I heard Saban, or somebody quoting Saban, saying that the recruits are changing, so we must change too.  I think he made that decision two years ago and it lead to bringing in Kiffin.

Here's one link that talks about Saban and change.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/8/17/9144575/alabama-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

and another one more on Saban and recruiting

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2350958-nick-saban-and-the-inner-workings-of-his-alabama-recruiting-machine

So, the shapes of the pegs and holes are irrelevant.  What matters is the perimeters are equal.  Those not willing to change and/or grow will continue to be confounded by the simple resistance of the square corners. 

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 02, 2015, 09:27:13 pm
We are going to have to figure out a way(s) to consistently get to a least around #15 in the nation in regards to recruiting class ranking.  Being in the mid 20's through the 30's when a lot of the Conference foes are reeling in Top 10 recruiting classes just doesn't cut it as far as consistent on field winning.  The discrepancy many times shows on the field.

It's a chicken or the egg scenario.   It's hard to win with 3 star kids, it's hard to attract 5 star kids unless you win.  About all we can do is upgrade the 3 star kids that we sign, and we have. 

At least now we are signing kids with offer sheets from power five schools instead of places like slippery rock.  There's obviously been an upgrade in talent because of the fact that this team has been riddled with injuries and there hasn't really been a noticeable drop off.

I've been a broken record on this, might as well repeat myself one more time.  For us to consistently compete at a high level in the SEC, we will do it by fielding a team who's roster is primarily made up of Junior and Seniors two deep.

Obviously the best possible scenario  would be to redshirt as many kids as possible, but at this stage of our program, we first and foremost need to achieve an upper class two deep roster with a limited number Frosh and Soph's filling in holes.  But  the bottom line is we are still in the very early stages of building this thing.