Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Basketball Player ever in Arkansas High School?

Started by BumpieJohnson, January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BPPig

Back in my day there was a guy who averaged 25 points a game for a local Delta School for his entire 8 year HS career. His 5 or so senior seasons were very impressive until the beard got a little too much. His first names were Willie Lee but I can't remeber the rest of it.

They had a cheer. One , Two,  One,Two,Three Give that ball to Willie Lee- Chunk it boy chunk it.

Ah the thrills of low level HS ball in the south in the 60s.

novack2

Quote from: ProfusionalHog on January 10, 2007, 08:52:30 am
Adrian Peterson is the only true freshman to start for Eddie Sutton.  Adrian played at Oak Grove in 95, played 4 years at Okla St Univ, and then tore his ACL in Chicago Bulls camp.  Not sure what's up with him now.  He was built to be the next Michael Jordan.

He is married to his high school sweetheart living in Dallas. Expecting a baby in the next few months. His wife coaches volleyball down there. I'm not exactly sure what he is doing now.

wishyjoshy

Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 10, 2007, 09:26:00 am
And The Snowman from Brinkely what was his name I know his last is Swanagon or something like that

Talk about a head case.  I think he ended up going to some place like UNC Greensboro or Charlotte or something like that.  He would fight anyone at the drop of a hat.  I think he graduated in 96 or 97.  My team beat him.

Hankins is a funny one, too.  He definitely isn't the best one out of 98.  Dante Gardner from Conway was better, LaJuan Christian (sp?) was better, Wesley and Harrison from Parkview were better, Gilbert was better, Kevin Williams from Fordyce was better, and Kenyatta Tolbert from NLR (before the accident) was better - maybe the most well rounded of the bunch.

arkahuna

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 09, 2007, 05:31:29 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 09, 2007, 05:27:47 pm
Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm
Sidney Moncrife, Joe Johnson, Ail Thomson

Corliss Williamson

rated the #1 player in the country
I am certain Jason Kidd was rated ahead of Corliss. Kidd's team (from the Bay Area in Cali) won the King Cotton tournament that year and beat Corliss, too.

I seem to recall Kidd was rated no. 1 that year by most services; but if my memory serves me correctly Russellville won the king cotton over Kidds team. Russellville was ahead by 1 or 2 points, Kidd has the ball with a few seconds left and Corliss blocks his shot to preserve the victory. If I can find it I have that game on VHS somewhere, be fun to watch again.

IndyHog76

In Spring of 1994, I went to Cocoa Beach to watch my friend, Michael Stern, to play in the AAU Championships.  Some of his teammates that year were Cory Carr (Texas Tech), Adrian Chilliest (Auburn), Anthony Boone (Ole Miss), John Nelson (Oklahoma State), Matt Daniel (Colorado), and Reggie Love (Centenary?).  I'm thinking that Quincy Lewis may have been with the team, though a year younger, but I don't remember for sure.  It was a great experience seeing all of the talented players from around the nation play.  Hell, who knows how many other state's players I saw that are now possibly making big bucks in the NBA???
Out of that crew, Cory Carr was very exciting to watch.  I know he has a stint with the Bulls several years back, but does anyone know what happened to him?

dish13-hog

I'd say Corliss, no doubt.  As for players that turned out to be good much later on, I'd say Scottie Pippen (Hamburg).
"In the 6 billion year history of this planet there has been ONLY ONE national high school player of the year from the state of Arkansas. Houston Nutt had him and lost him.
Believe it or not."  - Mike Irwin, 1/16/07

"Digger Phelps is a moron." - Me, 3/11/07

Mister_BS

January 10, 2007, 01:02:49 pm #106 Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:07:04 pm by Mister_BS
Quote from: pigsnoter49 on January 09, 2007, 08:48:58 pm
I'll date myself with this name: Robert Stuart, 1965 Taylor High School.   He had offers from every major college in the U.S. when he was a senior.   UCLA, Kentucky, Houston, all the powers of that era.  Tremendous leaper, hugh hands, could dunk with the best.  
So where did Stuart go? and where is Taylor?

never heard of him, but i lived in indiana then ... which has had more than a few talented high schools players: George McGinnis, Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson, John Wooden, Rick Mount (best high school shooter ever and first high school kid ever on the cover of Sports Illustrated) and many, many more like Chuck Taylor (Converse named the shoe for him, which every old guy knows) and now, Greg Oden

stevo98

Quote from: novack2 on January 09, 2007, 04:59:51 pm
Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 09, 2007, 04:51:57 pm
Petterson from Oak Grove and went to osu

Adrian Peterson. I think he was class of 95 along with Quincey Lewis and Kieth Carter. Was Corey Carr any good? I think he was class of 94.

Carr from Kingsland, was awesome.  Great college career, never made in the NBA

Mister_BS

Adrian Peterson is the only true freshman to start for Eddie Sutton.  Adrian played at Oak Grove in 95, played 4 years at Okla St Univ, and then tore his ACL in Chicago Bulls camp.  Not sure what's up with him now.  He was built to be the next Michael Jordan.
I'm almost certain Scott Hastings started as a freshman for Eddie, on the 1979 team that lost to Larry Bird in the Elite Eight

Mister_BS

Mister_BS

Quote from: 1TONhogfan on January 09, 2007, 10:47:18 pm
Quote from: BEvERage on January 09, 2007, 04:36:00 pm
Marvin Delph
Incredible shooter with amazing scoring numbers without a 3 point line.  One of the best High school games ever was state overall championship game with Conway and Delph playing Fort Smith and Ron Brewer.
MD has to be mentioned in this list, and would be in top 10, IMO, without question.

As for the '74 title game between Conway and Northside, it was NOT a great game. Northside won 37-32 in what turned out to be a very disappointing game at Barton Coliseum. It should have been great. Both teams were undefeated and Brewer and Delph were the state's two best players.

BTW, undefeated Northside won by a point in overtime at Fayetteville that year (Bulldogs were 22-10) and Conway won at Fayetteville by two in double overtime. We had Conway whipped but sophomore Lawson Pilgrim hit a corner shot to force OT.

Pilgrim was a GREAT h.s. player, too. His unbeaten team with Austin Sullivan is probably one of the top 5 teams from this state.

zebra

Corliss was probably the biggest attraction, he carried that King Cotton on his back for a couple of years.

Bob from Dumas

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 10, 2007, 01:16:00 pm
Marvin Delph
Incredible shooter with amazing scoring numbers without a 3 point line.  One of the best High school games ever was state overall championship game with Conway and Delph playing Fort Smith and Ron Brewer.
MD has to be mentioned in this list, and would be in top 10, IMO, without question.

As for the '74 title game between Conway and Northside, it was NOT a great game. Northside won 37-32 in what turned out to be a very disappointing game at Barton Coliseum. It should have been great. Both teams were undefeated and Brewer and Delph were the state's two best players.

BTW, undefeated Northside won by a point in overtime at Fayetteville that year (Bulldogs were 22-10) and Conway won at Fayetteville by two in double overtime. We had Conway whipped but sophomore Lawson Pilgrim hit a corner shot to force OT.

Pilgrim was a GREAT h.s. player, too. His unbeaten team with Austin Sullivan is probably one of the top 5 teams from this state.

Lawson Pilgrim was an assistant coach at Hendrix College in the early '80s.  He lived in one of the Dorms as the Head Resident which made him eligible to play intramurals.  Watching him go up against a bunch of short slow guys was comical.  He was truly a great player in high school and in college.

As for the best, Sidney Moncrief and Corliss Williamson had more distingushed careers as Razorbacks. However, in my opinion, there has never been another high school player like Ron Brewer from Northside.  He was the best I've ever seen.

ProfusionalHog

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 10, 2007, 01:07:52 pm
I'm almost certain Scott Hastings started as a freshman for Eddie, on the 1979 team that lost to Larry Bird in the Elite Eight

I can't find any backup data by googling.  Can you?  I'd be curious to see for sure.  I know Sidney started, too, but I believe Adrian started his first game as a freshman for Sutton.  He might've been the first to do that.  

In all cases, he was highly recruited and I was looking forward to watching him succeed in the pros.

Bob from Dumas

Quote from: Bob from Dumas on January 10, 2007, 01:51:05 pm
Quote from: Mister_BS on January 10, 2007, 01:16:00 pm
Marvin Delph

Lawson Pilgrim was an assistant coach at Hendrix College in the early '80s.  He lived in one of the Dorms as the Head Resident which made him eligible to play intramurals.  Watching him go up against a bunch of short slow guys was comical.  He was truly a great player in high school and in college.

As for the best, Sidney Moncrief and Corliss Williamson had more distingushed careers as Razorbacks. However, in my opinion, there has never been another high school player like Ron Brewer from Northside.  He was the best I've ever seen.

Correction:  It was Herman Hammons from that Conway team who was the assistant at Hendrix.  Lawson Pilgrim was a great player, though.

HOGnLR

Correct. He blocked Jason Kidd's shot to win the King Cotton. Parkview won it the next year.
[/quote]

Actually PV won it the year before............then lost to Russelville in the semis the following year.

BTW, I vote Corliss.
They cover the weather before it happens and the news after it happens, but sports are important enough to cover live.

RunDMCforHeisman

Corliss, and he won gatorade player of the year.  

Hogz87

First off is the Stricklen girl from Morrilton the best female ever?  I've seen her place twice, once as a freshman and once last year as a sophomore, and was very impressed both times.

Mister_BS

Quote from: ProfusionalHog on January 10, 2007, 01:52:56 pm
Quote from: Mister_BS on January 10, 2007, 01:07:52 pm

I can't find any backup data by googling.  Can you?  I'd be curious to see for sure.  I know Sidney started, too, but I believe Adrian started his first game as a freshman for Sutton.  He might've been the first to do that.  

In all cases, he was highly recruited and I was looking forward to watching him succeed in the pros.
Not going to bother the UA SID office, but they're the only ones I know who would have the 1980 (Hastings) or 1977 (Sidney) media guides, from the sophomore years of those two.

Hastings played in 30 games as a freshman and averaged 25.1 minutes.

zacHAWGwilde

Ricky Norton had crazy range...i grew up down close to okolona..played with his son...his son is an excellent player at henderson state...Ricky can still make a high percentage of half court shots!

SteelShot

I will go with Jason Gilbert!  Just kidding.  You can blast me if you cant take a joke and if you are on here Gilbert, Go Phi.   
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

zacHAWGwilde

there was a guy in saratoga..SW ark..in the mid 90's graduated in 96 i think...jason somebody...was a SICK SICK player...was 5-7 or so and could jam it anyway he wanted too...didnt have the grades for college....pookie modica was good in HS as well...

BumpieJohnson

Dee Dee Drake was good Zackee Wadoo  good  Craig Jackson, Marco Cole, Kim Adams Beast at LR Fair Ty Forte, Carl Baker there was a lot of good players in this state

rasorback4life

James Copeland

Chip Lane

Timothy McMinn

Tommy Wagner
Mediocrity Rules!!!

PeytonManningSUCKS

January 10, 2007, 03:03:57 pm #124 Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:06:42 pm by PeytonManningSUCKS
I don't know about highschool but corliss was the best in Jr. High. hahahah, he really was already a monstor then.  He was bad ass in h.s. too, would have won a championship if not for the mighty SS rebs of Ft. Smith AR, (shout out to wells on here), oh and a freakish Little Rock Parkview team. 

rasorback4life

Mediocrity Rules!!!

Kevin

ron moore from clarksville, early 80's,  unbelievable athlete,  i don't think he is the best, but a hs hsaq
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mister_BS

Quote from: Kevin on January 10, 2007, 03:13:23 pm
ron moore from clarksville, early 80's,  unbelievable athlete,  i don't think he is the best, but a hs hsaq
if you're going that deep, how about trey trumbo, joe sitkowski, and scott blackwell -- all from Fayetteville High and all the best player on their state title teams

SteelShot

Quote from: zacHAWGwilde on January 10, 2007, 02:43:00 pm
there was a guy in saratoga..SW ark..in the mid 90's graduated in 96 i think...jason somebody...was a SICK SICK player...was 5-7 or so and could jam it anyway he wanted too...didnt have the grades for college....pookie modica was good in HS as well...

Jason McDonald.  That guy was an absolute baller.  I remember going to see him and seeing Dean Smith in the stands.  He never made his grades I dont think, but man he was fun to watch him.  I think he averaged like 45 a night. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

suthern

Yeah, Jason Mcdonald was pretty good.... I played againt him from junior high through high school and the boy could ball...  They would go out and blow other teams out but when it came time for Saratoga to play Nashville, it always came down to the wire or the game ended in a fight... LOL!!!  Either they would win by one or We (Nashville) would win by one...

you_slaw

Marcus Monk was really good at EPC..I was really impressed by his dunking ability while he was in HS..i think he also won a cppl of state championships
Trying to change the world, with one message at a time!!!

NuttinItUp

Matt Jones was pretty dang good. I think if he hadn't spent all his time on football he could have been all world in basketball.

old hog

Quote from: Hogz87 on January 10, 2007, 02:18:16 pm
First off is the Stricklen girl from Morrilton the best female ever?  I've seen her place twice, once as a freshman and once last year as a sophomore, and was very impressed both times.

Catch her now. She will be playing for Pat Summit before all is said and done.

Big_D

Didn't Houston play basketball at Central?. If he did I am sure he was best ever in the state......

bigyellowdog

Quote from: Die Hard Hog on January 10, 2007, 08:41:25 am
Anybody ever see a guy named Junior Curtis play at Benton in the mid 80's?  He averaged 25 his junior year and 27 his senior year.  Everybody in the country wanted him but he couldn't make the grades to get in.  If there had been a 3 point line then he might have averaged around 35 a game.  He was incredible.  Saw him and Willie Cutts go at it when Cutts was a senior and Curtis was a sophomore and Cutts couldn't guard him.  You guys brought up a lot of good names.  Corliss has to be close to the top of the list.  

I was wondering whatever happened to Curtis.  I saw Cutts play many times back in high school.  Junior did better than anyone did against Cutts during Willie's senior year.  It was a shame Willie decided to take a path of self destruction with his life.

Pig_Lebowski

bd93

Boarcephus

Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm
Sidney Moncrife, Joe Johnson, Ail Thomson

Speaking of Ali Thompson, saw in the paper last week he was sentenced to 4 or 5 years in he pen. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

BigDeal

Quote from: rricha on January 09, 2007, 06:53:27 pm
Willie Earl Cutts you can visit him at arkansas department of corrections inmate site

I thought you were joking but I see you are not. A disappointment, yes. A surprise, no.

Darren DeLoach

the big nasty was the most hyped of all time--and possibly the greatest---as far as teams go that late 1970's early 1980's west memphis blue devil team was unbeatable. they won 60 straight. two nba players on team. one (cage) led nba in rebounding--he is not well known in this area because he went back to his home town for college (san diego st.) keith lee was a three time college all- american and all conference player. phenom. top ten pick who blew out knee. he was a garnett type 20 years early.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

WADHOG

Charles Balentine, Theo Young, Jeff Cliffton was great for Searcy.

40YrHogFan

Bennie Fuller played for the School for The Deaf. If my memory serves me, he scored all but one team point in a game once. Awesome player.

Hog lite

Who was the kid from morrilton in the mid to late 80's that went on to play at Purdue?

Hog lite

The best high school girl goes to Janet (Cooper) Wood.   She is now the AD at Mountain Home High School.  She played 3 on 3.

theman22

Quote from: Hog lite on April 16, 2007, 08:21:18 am
Who was the kid from morrilton in the mid to late 80's that went on to play at Purdue?

I think his name was Jimmy Oliver.