Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kurt Anderson on Brian Wallace

Started by WilsonHog, October 03, 2017, 08:43:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HenduHog on October 03, 2017, 10:27:10 pm
I didn't read that as him accusing anyone of lying.

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 03, 2017, 09:01:42 pm
BTW, coaches feed the fans BS all the time. BS = lying.  I figured you knew.

He's not? Ok.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 03, 2017, 10:05:07 pm
That's a laughable claim.
Maybe not. I remember how much my eagles improved on defensive line after Rory Segrest left Philadelphia for Fayetteville. Addition by subtraction apparently
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 04, 2017, 06:35:22 am
In summary....the OL has deteriorated and been an issue ever since Kurt Anderson came to town. PERIOD
I don't see how anyone could disagree with this. Proof is in the pudding
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 03, 2017, 08:43:11 pm
Per Jimmy Carter's article on WholeHogSports:

"He's having some good practices," Anderson said. "There are some mental mistakes that are hindering him from being in there. It has nothing to do with his ability. He's got great ability. He's made unbelievable strides and he's had some good practices over the last few weeks, but there's a mental error here or there, especially late in the week on a Thursday or Friday practice, that as a coach prevents you from saying here's a guy I trust in a critical situation that is going to make sure we're doing things the right way."
Sorry but im gonna go ahead and call B.S on this. We watched as Froholdt got his lunch ate play after play last season but never got pulled. He made mistake after mistake but they allowed him to stay on the field. We've seen more of the same this season with Clary and at times with Ramirez. Why isn't Wallace getting the same opportunity? What is the REAL reason he isn't getting on the field? Is it off the field issues or something not football related? I hate to say it, but at this point it is starting to look like the coaches are playing favorites

Youngsta71701

"He's having some good practices," Anderson said. "There are some mental mistakes that are hindering him from being in there. It has nothing to do with his ability. He's got great ability. He's made unbelievable strides and he's had some good practices over the last few weeks, but there's a mental error here or there, especially late in the week on a Thursday or Friday practice, that as a coach prevents you from saying here's a guy I trust in a critical situation that is going to make sure we're doing things the right way."
I'm guessing we haven't seen any mental errors from Paul Ramirez or Ty Clary ???.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

aloha_kid

You mean more mental mistakes than we've seen on the OL?

azhog10

Umm.....really? Does he not watch game film because nearly every OLineman has a mental mistake here and there. I mean it literally happens nearly every down. If he's not playing because he has a mental error here or there, then what makes him different than the guys playing right now?

azhog10

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 03, 2017, 10:52:36 pm
Bielema said earlier in the week that he isn't sure Ty is ready to play 60+ snaps in a SEC game.
Why doesn't our media press harder when statements like these are made?

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogman64 on October 04, 2017, 01:08:58 am
this is the kind of coach BS that would make it better if they would  just shut up and coach.............Brian Wallace was a starter last year and is MAKING GREAT STRIDES but cant start over a grey shirt freshman and a walk on  playing tackle
for the first time..........that makes no sense, so again just shut up.

also, cant start because late in the week he makes a mental error here or there............guess what on
Saturday you have starters making errors in every quarter......you have maybe the worst line in the SEC so it doesn't take a perfect  player to beat out the guys you have starting.

I am not saying Wallace should be starting but I am saying just shut up and stop with the lame explanations as to why he isn't, obviously he is worse than terrible and isn't making strides from last year when he was a starter , cause if he was he would be starting now on this line,  so just shut up and coach him.

The media is asking specific questions about Wallace. Sounded to me like he was being overly cautious in his comments and not throwing Wallace under the bus. Sounds like Wallace doesn't have it upstairs and that's why he isn't playing.

DeltaBoy

He needs to be on the field and let him work it out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: azhog10 on October 04, 2017, 08:31:47 am
You want a public berating?  They are trying to find an OL that can work.  Sounds like he understands that Clary isn't the answer at this time.

Kevin

I don't think they really listen to the answer. they have their two or three question. all they want is an answer and move on.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 04, 2017, 08:33:54 am
The media is asking specific questions about Wallace. Sounded to me like he was being overly cautious in his comments and not throwing Wallace under the bus. Sounds like Wallace doesn't have it upstairs and that's why he isn't playing.
So out of all the best offensive linemen that came out that year we just so happened to get the one that doesn't have it upstairs? Come on man. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

azhog10

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 04, 2017, 08:34:52 am
You want a public berating?  They are trying to find an OL that can work.  Sounds like he understands that Clary isn't the answer at this time.
I want someone to call these things out. If you say Wallace isn't playing bc he makes a mental mistake here and there, then you play a freshman and say well he just can't handle a full game. Then what the heck is the difference? Wallace deserves a chance, no way you continue to play Froholdt like we did last year when he was making mental mistake nearly every snap and then say this guy is practicing well but he makes a mistake every thursday or friday that keeps us from being okay with playing him.......really? What about the three or four other days where apparently he is impressing you......

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

2 words. Media Credentials

oldhog63

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 04, 2017, 08:38:12 am
So out of all the best offensive linemen that came out that year we just so happened to get the one that doesn't have it upstairs? Come on man. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
Big difference between dominating over-matched HS competition in a simple "block the guy in front of you" HS offense and understanding the concepts of a complex pro scheme offense and being able to apply those concepts in the heat of the game with a shifting, stunting defense. When was he recruited? By whom? For which offense?

Not saying this is the problem, just saying that HS dominance doesn't always project to college.

woodrow hog call

This thread is full of comedy.

Did any of guys actually play football ? Maybe, just maybe BW doesn't want to be the star player that you guys want him to be. Did you not ever play with somebody that just didn't have the drive inside them to live up to their potential ? Maybe he is one of those guys, likes being on the team, does just enough to get by, and has tremendous natural ability but really doesn't care enough to get better. Or anyone of a hundred other possibilities.

You guys can manage a roster full of players better without going to a single practice, and now you know how to handle coaching interviews, without ever having done that. Haha

You should all give yourselves a huge raise.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PorkRinds

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 04, 2017, 08:38:12 am

There are probably a number of them that didn't have it upstairs. 

Kevin

this is what would help Anderson, cbb needs to quit talking about Wallace being close, every Monday & Thursday.
they have made the decision not to play him, so they need to move on
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

LRHawg

Quote from: Kevin on October 04, 2017, 09:36:04 am
this is what would help Anderson, cbb needs to quit talking about Wallace being close, every Monday & Thursday.
they have made the decision not to play him, so they need to move on

Sure seems like they've stuck their head in the sand, instead of admitting they've made a mistake. Anderson's going to be CBB's biggest mistake here.

HF#1

What mistakes is he making that the others aren't? This staff is inept. We are getting our ass kicked every week up front and we don't play a kid because he makes a couple of mental mistakes on Thursday and Friday but probably has better ability/talent than anyone on the line currently.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Oklahawg

Concern: shuffling and toying leads to less-than-ideal at multiple positions. If you can fix ONE then fix it and then work on the next ONE.  Not as easy as it sounds, and I do get the "chemistry" side of things.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

What if your problem is that you are a practice field monster and a game field helmet holder?

And, if so, when do you go stand next to Cole Hedlund in the "you've had one too many chances already" line?

===

What if your QB has the yips based on the ten games you played last year and they can't get over it?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 04, 2017, 08:02:07 am
Sorry but im gonna go ahead and call B.S on this. We watched as Froholdt got his lunch ate play after play last season but never got pulled. He made mistake after mistake but they allowed him to stay on the field. We've seen more of the same this season with Clary and at times with Ramirez. Why isn't Wallace getting the same opportunity? What is the REAL reason he isn't getting on the field? Is it off the field issues or something not football related? I hate to say it, but at this point it is starting to look like the coaches are playing favorites

This ^^^

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 04, 2017, 01:00:04 pm
What if your problem is that you are a practice field monster and a game field helmet holder?

And, if so, when do you go stand next to Cole Hedlund in the "you've had one too many chances already" line?

===

What if your QB has the yips based on the ten games you played last year and they can't get over it?

These experts we have could fix any of that, they know what it takes every time, just need more reps, first team reps, game reps, they have it all figured out. Funny you mention the yips.

It's a shame the hogville experts weren't around for any of these players;

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/01/11/10-athletes-who-got-yips-and-how-their-careers-worked-out

hawgfan4life

BW is one player.  We have a recruiting class that is much smaller this year because this staff has done so well retaining players on the roster.  In year five, when you have a roster full of retained players, the fact you can't field an OL player that can beat out a true FR that didn't have a scholarship offer when the year started is AMAZING!  In year 5 when the fruits of retention and recruiting should be at its highest, our OL play is about as bad as it was at the beginning of year 1.  The years under Pittman saw steady improvement until his last year and that year wasn't anything like the current situation.  The time under KA are seeing little improvement in any areas.  This should be the best OL we have had at AR in several years and it is not even in the discussion for the past 5.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: hawgfan4life on October 04, 2017, 01:21:02 pm
BW is one player.  We have a recruiting class that is much smaller this year because this staff has done so well retaining players on the roster.  In year five, when you have a roster full of retained players, the fact you can't field an OL player that can beat out a true FR that didn't have a scholarship offer when the year started is AMAZING!  In year 5 when the fruits of retention and recruiting should be at its highest, our OL play is about as bad as it was at the beginning of year 1.  The years under Pittman saw steady improvement until his last year and that year wasn't anything like the current situation.  The time under KA are seeing little improvement in any areas.  This should be the best OL we have had at AR in several years and it is not even in the discussion for the past 5.

I don't think anyone is denying that it's a major problem, and one they should have gotten corrected by now, but the number of years doesn't matter, it's all about who you have on campus to compete for playing time. It's just comical seeing how many people that think they could fix it, when they don't have a clue to what's going on. Then seeing them get mad at KA because he takes the time to answer a reporters question about a player, and he still speaks highly of the player, rather than trash him publicly.

KlubhouseKonnected

I just can't shake the suspicion that Brian's mistakes are held against him much more than other player's mistakes are held against them because Coach(es) believe that Brian, because he is an upperclassmen in program for this long, should not be making those mistakes.

The problem is that if you choose to play a less talented player to punish a better player for making mistakes and that choice becomes a notable factor in two important losses (i.e. cutting your nose off to spite your face) you have kind of painted yourself into a corner haven't you?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

KlubhouseKonnected

Let's say Brian makes two mistakes a game but otherwise performs at an SEC level, is that worse, better or the same as a guy that also makes the occasional mistake (we'll just agree for the sake of argument he makes few mistakes) but, even when he is technically sound and on assignment, is regularly beat by the defender due simply to the fact that he is physically unable to match up with the competition?

Dominicanhog

this sounds like the preamble to Wallace making the field...

ballz2thewall

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 03, 2017, 09:30:02 pm
Here is the part that bothers me, we have guys making mental and physical errors in games, errors that have led to sacks and failed plays. I know that we will hear how our O'Line has graded out consistently well, but we have seen with our own eyes the issues that we have. 7 plays from inside the 5 yard line to score on NMSU as well as several other short yardage failures.

This same player started 10 games last year and is nothing but a year older and a year stronger. What has happened to that player? Did he just forget how he played last year?

We are going into the 6th week of the season (bye week) and still experimenting with O'Line combinations? Really?? Sorry guys it is just too hard for me to find fault in our players when we are facing situations like this. Now, if we were trying to shuffle people due to injury I could buy that.

How many D1 teams go into the 2nd week of the season with their O'Line in a state of flux? Much less still experimenting in week # 6. We waited until week 5 to move Gibson BACK to his natural position, a position that he played really well last year and Saturday we are going to start the game with him moved out to tackle AGAIN!

I really hate to come off negatively, but this is just the way that I feel. I honestly feel like we are not fielding our best combination of O'Linemen and it affects the way that we play, the way that we call plays and the confidence of the team.

yes.

i think this reveals the epitome of game preparation and results, unfortunately.
The rest of the frog.

zebradynasty

Well something is not right about the coaches statement and about how the OL is being developed. I know the grading system used shows these guys doing their job. ::)  But this OL is getting beat making mistakes and at the point of attack! Have yet shown they can handle faster players no matter what size. Also any kind of blitz and it's like Walmart on Black Friday everybody rushes in. Maybe more is and should be expected from Wallace because he's in year 3 but with all that is going wrong not sure how his mistakes equal a seat on the bench.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: King Kong on October 03, 2017, 09:55:21 pm
The Bills Oline wasn't bad when he was there.

IMO Kurt Anderson's NFL technical blocking is too much for our college o-lineman. Focus too much on hitting someone just right which leads to small margin for error, instead of just making sure you hit them.

Anderson wasn't the OL Coach. He carried clipboards and charted plays.  Also when you have Richie Incognito you're not doing a lot of real coaching. Richie runs the show and he keeps the guys in line and focused or else.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

King Kong

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 04, 2017, 02:47:13 pm
Anderson wasn't the OL Coach. He carried clipboards and charted plays.  Also when you have Richie Incognito you're not doing a lot of real coaching. Richie runs the show and he keeps the guys in line and focused or else.

First I never said he was the Oline coach. However, he was the Oline for like 6 games or so. When the real coach was suspended. As far as Incognito's coaching see Miami.

Second I only talked about his time with the Bills because some poster wanted to rewrite history.

PorkRinds

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 04, 2017, 02:47:13 pm
This isn't fully true. Their OL coach was suspended for half the season and Anderson was the OL coach until he returned.

PorkSoda

Quote from: azhog10 on October 04, 2017, 08:29:54 am
Umm.....really? Does he not watch game film because nearly every OLineman has a mental mistake here and there. I mean it literally happens nearly every down. If he's not playing because he has a mental error here or there, then what makes him different than the guys playing right now?
makes me think he is playing favorites, or not playing his not favorites or something to that effect. 

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: LRHawg on October 04, 2017, 10:57:36 am
Sure seems like they've stuck their head in the sand, instead of admitting they've made a mistake. Anderson's going to be CBB's biggest mistake here.

Bielema not retaining Steve Caldwell was probably a bigger mistake than hiring Kurt "garbage NFL OL technique" Anderson.

Caldwell recruited and landed Trey Flowers and Darius Philon.

None of Bielema's Assistant Coach staff has been able to consistently recruit at a high quality level in the usual SEC recruiting territory like Caldwell.

swineology

The problem is that if you choose to play a less talented player to punish a better player for making mistakes and that choice becomes a notable factor in two important losses (i.e. cutting your nose off to spite your face) you have kind of painted yourself into a corner haven't you?

Hammer meet nail

Wildhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 04, 2017, 03:21:36 pm
Bielema not retaining Steve Caldwell was probably a bigger mistake than hiring Kurt "garbage NFL OL technique" Anderson.

None of Bielema's Assistant Coach staff has been able to consistently recruit at a high quality level in the usual SEC recruiting territory like Caldwell.

Paul Rhoads is recruiting DB's better than I've ever seen at Arkansas.

But I do like Caldwell.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 04, 2017, 03:21:36 pm

Philon? Really?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 04, 2017, 03:33:09 pm
Philon? Really?

Yep.  When Philon couldn't sign with Alabama, Caldwell got on the phone with him and landed him (without Philon having stepped foot in Fayetteville).

Otis Kirk wrote an article back then at that time in which Kirk stated Caldwell had been recruiting Philon for a few weeks.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 04, 2017, 03:40:01 pm
Yep.  When Philon couldn't sign with Alabama, Caldwell got on the phone with him and landed him (without Philon having stepped foot in Fayetteville).

Otis Kirk wrote an article back then at that time in which Kirk stated Caldwell had been recruiting Philon for a few weeks.

Kid was desperate.  This isn't a knock on Caldwell, but it's not like he recruited Philon and beat out Bama and AU for him.  Kid never even visited us.

And wasn't Winston, who had just signed with us, from the same HS?  I'm betting that had much to do with it.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

swineology

The key is to continue to get Allen time to skip around on the routes. Offensive line coach Kurt Anderson said the key might be to continue to play more than his starting five.
"I think it is," he said. "I think playing six or seven might be the right approach. We've learned that what we need to compete in the SEC is to be fresh up front in the fourth quarter. We might make that our advantage."
One of the assets is versatility in Johnny Gibson. He starts at right tackle, but has slid over to right guard to give true freshman Ty Clary some rest.
"I don't see that as unusual," Anderson said. "Johnny cross trained there last year. He even has played on the left side. I think he's ambidextrous."
Some have suggested that's a difficult transition, but Anderson doesn't see it that way.
"I don't think the terminology between guard and tackle is that different," Anderson said. "It's not like one position is Mandarin Chinese and the other is French. It's the same language.
"I've always thought you need to cross train. We do that in the normal course of practice. I did that in the NFL."
Was New Mexico State was the best game for the O-line?
"I'm not sure I'd say that," he said. "I thought we did well in a lot of areas against Texas A&M. We aren't perfect, but we definitely have made some progress. I think you are probably doing a lot of good things if you are leading the SEC in third down conversions."

Per Clay Henry

Chop that up

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 04, 2017, 01:42:09 pm
Let's say Brian makes two mistakes a game but otherwise performs at an SEC level, is that worse, better or the same as a guy that also makes the occasional mistake (we'll just agree for the sake of argument he makes few mistakes) but, even when he is technically sound and on assignment, is regularly beat by the defender due simply to the fact that he is physically unable to match up with the competition?

I think getting beat doesn't grade out well either way, do you?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 03:57:28 pm
I think getting beat doesn't grade out well either way, do you?

Is this in reference to all the reassurances that despite what our eyes are telling us, according to "grading" Clary has not been repeatedly beaten at the point of attack?

parallaxpig

Question for you social media gurus. Is BW's family going after Anderson.  Heard mention of this on Sports Talk.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

jcbville

Quote from: Wildhog on October 04, 2017, 03:31:30 pm
Paul Rhoads is recruiting DB's better than I've ever seen at Arkansas.

But I do like Caldwell.

Truth.

Hoginsavga

The best I have seen our OL play this year is the 4th quarter against TA$M. That was after CBB had a face to face talk to the OL at the end of the 3rd quarter. I simply don't understand why CBB doesn't stay more involved directly with the players and coaches during the games. If the assistants don't like that then they need to do a better job.

I don't think it's simply a coincidence that Saban and Kirby Smart are the only coaches remaining undefeated in the SEC. These two coaches are constantly coaching during the games and talking directly to their assistants and players. It's a team effort, meaning all coaches and players interact during the game.   

Another point, Saban's teams never seem to fall off in any aspect even though he also has turnovers in staff. Could in be that Saban also coaches up his staff when he sees their weaknesses?  I know someone will come on here and say but he has 4 and 5 star players. That's true but those players have to be coached and coached well to perform at that level.

PonderinHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 04, 2017, 01:37:09 pm
I just can't shake the suspicion that Brian's mistakes are held against him much more than other player's mistakes are held against them because Coach(es) believe that Brian, because he is an upperclassmen in program for this long, should not be making those mistakes.

I... uh... hell yeah!