Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou tries to bounce back from drop in donations following boycott

Started by jbcarol, February 22, 2016, 06:20:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison Feb 21

From @JoeWalljasper and @CDTCivilWar: MU tries to bounce back from drop in donations following boycott, unrest- http://bit.ly/1Q9q72n
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Rzbakfromwaybak

Well the boycott/protest.....that included the football team & some faculty...was poorly handled by the University.  What did they expect would happen with donations ?
The University showed the country that it could be taken over by radical protestors. I don't feel a bit sorry for them.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Rudi Keller ‏@CDTCivilWar 17h17 hours ago

Hiring freeze, department cuts ordered at Univ. of Mo. #moleg #Mizzou @umsystem
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/turmoil_at_mu/hiring-freeze-department-cuts-ordered-at-university-of-missouri/article_f04fecec-43d2-54df-9d1d-3226a9bc957f.html ...

QuoteUniversity of Missouri will use a hiring freeze and a 5 percent cut to all recurring general revenue budgets to close a projected $32 million shortfall for the coming fiscal year, interim MU Chancellor Hank Foley wrote in a memo to campus Wednesday.

Foley wrote that the anticipated enrollment decline of 1,500 – equal to nearly 25 percent of the fall 2015 freshman class – will leave the campus short in the year that begins July 1 without accounting for budget cuts being considered by lawmakers.

"I am writing to you today to confirm that we project a very significant budget shortfall due to an unexpected sharp decline in first-year enrollments and student retention this coming fall," Foley wrote in the memo addressed "Dear university community."

At the Regional Economic Development Inc. Board of Directors meeting Wednesday, Vice Chancellor for Operations Gary Ward discussed the university's budget situation.

A 5 percent budget cut would eliminate about $20 million from the budget, still leaving the university with a $10 million shortfall. In his memo, Foley wrote that the remaining deficit would be covered from reserve funds.

"Realize most of our expenses are people," Ward said. Take "$32 million, and look at an average salary of $40,000, $50,000, and we're talking about hundreds and hundreds of positions impacted."

Further cuts could be coming if lawmakers reduce state support for the fiscal 2016 budget. On Tuesday, the Missouri House cut $1 million from MU's allocation of state money and $7.6 million from UM System administrative funding. The bill is up for a final vote Thursday to send it to the state Senate.

The hiring freeze will only allow jobs "absolutely necessary to the mission" to be filled, Foley wrote. "Decisions to add faculty or staff must be exceptional, but will be left to the discretion of the deans, vice chancellors, vice provosts and the director of athletics."

The university also will not grant pay raises except in conjunction with a promotion, Foley wrote.

The latest enrollment projections show a deeper decline than earlier estimates. The shortfall of revenue will be ongoing as a smaller freshman class moves toward graduation, Foley wrote.

The campus will feel the cut to system administration because "critical functions provided by the system offices will need to be carried out on behalf of each of our campuses," Foley wrote. "We at MU would probably bear a significant percent of the system reduction in order to maintain treasury, legal counsel, benefits administration and other services system administers."

The gap cannot be closed with tuition increases because state law ties maximum increases to inflation, which was just 0.7 percent over the past year, he wrote. If approved at that rate, the extra tuition would increase campus revenue by $2 million, he wrote.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on March 10, 2016, 08:59:42 am
Rudi Keller ‏@CDTCivilWar 17h17 hours ago

Hiring freeze, department cuts ordered at Univ. of Mo. #moleg #Mizzou @umsystem
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/turmoil_at_mu/hiring-freeze-department-cuts-ordered-at-university-of-missouri/article_f04fecec-43d2-54df-9d1d-3226a9bc957f.html ...

"the anticipated enrollment decline of 1,500 students, equal to nearly a 25% decline from the freshmen enrollment for the fall of 2015"...

Missouri is finding out first hand.....what a real boycott is. 

It's a self inflicted injury, that they certain deserve.  Hope it gets worse.  :)

jbcarol

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NinoHogUNIA

When you are the President of an institution and you are in a vehicle that strikes a student exercising thier first amendment right and you are silent.

Then your school deserves all ills coming its way.

That's why the protest started up there.
BIE

southarkhog06

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 15, 2016, 04:02:12 pm
When you are the President of an institution and you are in a vehicle that strikes a student exercising thier first amendment right and you are silent.

watch the video, the "strike" is the student initiating contact with the car.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 15, 2016, 04:02:12 pm

This protest was started by a group of nut job radicals, including some on staff, which one has now been fired.  The reason the school is suffering financially, is because it initially gave in to the protesters, not because it rejected them. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2016, 12:32:10 pm
Alan Burdziak ‏@AlanBurdziak 3h3 hours ago

.@umsystem Board of Curators rejects #MelissaClick's appeal
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/turmoil_at_mu/university-of-missouri-curators-reject-melissa-click-s-appeal/article_d00fc7ed-c497-5fd9-b961-b2cd79da11e9.html ...

Well, the school has seen the light, & is doing something right.  When they got hurt in the pocketbook.....it finally got their attention.

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 9h9 hours ago

Online: Spike Lee's film '2 Fists Up' captures a semester of unrest at MU, complete with the football team boycott- http://bit.ly/1MTOlyr .

Jonathan Butler, in the film: "I guarantee I wouldn't be alive if the football players didn't step in."

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on April 07, 2016, 10:27:22 am
David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 9h9 hours ago

Online: Spike Lee's film '2 Fists Up' captures a semester of unrest at MU, complete with the football team boycott- http://bit.ly/1MTOlyr .

Jonathan Butler, in the film: "I guarantee I wouldn't be alive if the football players didn't step in."

Good grief !  The University of Missouri's interim president sat beside Spike Lee, & greeted him on stage, at the screening of this documentary film about the protest ??    ???

You would think the University administration would have learned by now, that trying to kiss the butt's of this radical protest group & followers...did not work out well for their school.  The sooner that protest is forgotten, (if possible) the better.  This film is certainly not the best way to make that go away. 

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 6h6 hours ago

In the paper: Emails show the fire MU AD staff took after boycott, how they responded to unprecedented situation- http://bit.ly/23ucu2F .

The sender identified himself as a "life long" fan and current holder of eight seats' worth of season tickets. If any of Butler and his Concerned Student 1950 group's demands were met, he wrote, he would pull his season-ticket order. He said he had discussed the topic with "several others" and they all agreed with him.

"It is very dangerous to allow any radical group" to "take a PUBLIC institution hostage for ANY reason," he wrote. "I support the players and everyone else's right to free speech but allowing such things to influence public policy is completely unacceptable."

Hickman forwarded the email to Athletic Director Mack Rhoades and senior associate athletic director for strategic communications Ryan Bradley less than two hours later.

"FYI. I don't know this person," Hickman wrote. "This is the only one I have gotten so far."

It would not be the last...

"I say suit up whoever wants to play, dismiss the rest and have fun."

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on April 12, 2016, 10:16:48 am

https://twitter.com/MelissaZyg/status/719330501429833728

More fallout from the University's Administration, giving in to a group of radical protestors. Same kind of backfire needs to occur at every school that is stupid enough to let a radical nut job group, dictate policy/action.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward May 14

Josh Ward Retweeted Ben Frederickson

"Softball players protested because of an investigation that was started by softball players." Well done.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred/status/730436824921858048

QuoteMizzou student athletes, please hear this:

You look uninformed. You look entitled. You look like you are willing to hurt your university for reasons you can't really explain.

These are the things your critics are saying about you.

Stop proving them right.

When the Mizzou football team boycotted in November, I wondered about a potential ripple effect. Student athletes, a vital yet so often voiceless cog in the NCAA's money-making machine, were reminded of their power. How would they use it moving forward?

So much for Mizzou players coming together to tackle the greedy NCAA. We have our answer: A softball snafu. This seems to be trending in the wrong direction, doesn't it?

Softball players on Saturday announced they were playing their game under protest of the athletics department and, specifically, athletics director Mack Rhoades.

Why?

Because Rhoades' department has been investigating complaints about longtime softball coach Ehren Earleywine. Some of those complaints came from current members of the softball team.

Yes, you read that right. Softball players protested because of an investigation that was started by softball players. Does that make sense?

Perhaps a team meeting to reunite a seemingly divided group would have done more good than exposing the team's infighting to the world. Too late now.

At the heart of this matter is how Earleywine treats his players. Mizzou's most successful active coach can be tough to play for. He has high expectations, a short temper and a mouth. Of course Rhoades had to start looking into the matter once concerns were raised. Any athletics director that doesn't risks losing his job. We'll see if Coach E crossed a line.

But on a larger scale, the damage is already done. Those looking to turn the softball team's protest into the latest chapter of unrest at Mizzou didn't need much help. The softball team connected the dots for them.

"The administration was completely incompetent in handling the fall football scandal and they are doing a worse job at this," read the release a player provided to reporters before Saturday's game.

Another swing and miss...

jbcarol

2015 Missouri football team to receive the Stuart Scott ENSPIRE Award

QuoteSan Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns, New York Liberty center Tina Charles, Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap and Los Angeles Clippers guard Chris Paul are the finalists for the Sports Humanitarian of the Year Award, ESPN announced Thursday.

The winner of the award will be announced July 12 in Los Angeles, during a ceremony hosted by Laila Ali and featuring musical guest Andra Day. All proceeds benefit the Stuart Scott Memorial Cancer Research Fund at The V Foundation.

ESPN will broadcast the show at 7 p.m. ET on July 15.

As part of the program, tennis icon Billie Jean King, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and the 2015 Missouri Tigers football team will be honored with the Stuart Scott ENSPIRE Award.

jbcarol

jbcarol

thehill1414

Mizzou is such a dumpster fire.  Maybe the worst decision made by Mike Slive was to actually invite them to the SEC.  Can a school have its membership rescinded?

Better question might be why ESPN decided to award them, cover this fake protests, etc. and is now not acknowledging their 27% drop in enrollment.  Guess it doesn't fit the liberal agenda of the network.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on April 07, 2016, 04:48:15 pm
Good grief !  The University of Missouri's interim president sat beside Spike Lee, & greeted him on stage, at the screening of this documentary film about the protest ??    ???

You would think the University administration would have learned by now, that trying to kiss the butt's of this radical protest group & followers...did not work out well for their school.  The sooner that protest is forgotten, (if possible) the better.  This film is certainly not the best way to make that go away.
oh boy. you just outed yourself.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 23, 2016, 04:47:24 pm

oh boy. you just outed yourself.

Just spoke the truth, & that was 4 months ago.  Haven't noticed being..."outed" from anywhere.  ;)

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 23, 2016, 04:48:44 pm

see? Most people don't have the same opinion of events as the hogville trumptrain does.

Looks like you're wrong.  Freshmen enrollment is down 27% from last year at Missouri. Looks like it's way more than just hogville trump supporters that didn't agree with the football team & faculty support of the radical protest last fall.  Lot's of common sense folks still out there.  ;)