Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IF you could, who would you pick to be the next Men's BB coach?

Started by hawgtime, March 19, 2018, 02:43:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Hogg

All these posts about getting rid of Coach Anderson remind me of a lot of the time Nolan Richardson came here and everyone talked about (we actually talked to each other and read newspapers back then) was how Nolan was not a good fundamental coach and that he couldn't x & o.  Then players named Day, Mayberry & Miller came here and all that talk was forgotten... for the most part.

steveaustin69

Quote from: JD Hogg on March 20, 2018, 10:41:03 am
All these posts about getting rid of Coach Anderson remind me of a lot of the time Nolan Richardson came here and everyone talked about (we actually talked to each other and read newspapers back then) was how Nolan was not a good fundamental coach and that he couldn't x & o.  Then players named Day, Mayberry & Miller came here and all that talk was forgotten... for the most part.

Yeah they showed up in year four. We're going into year 8.

hogsanity

Quote from: JD Hogg on March 20, 2018, 10:41:03 am

Nolan evolved as a coach. The 94 team was a great example. To make that team complete he went out and got two bigs to play along side Corliss ( Robinson and Wilson ) and while neither were dominating, they did add a presence along side Corliss, and made it to where he did not have to try to matchup all the time with the other teams 5. That team also pressed less in the full court, and also was pretty effective playing zone at times.

In his 7 years here what about his style of play has Mike changed or even just tweaked?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JD Hogg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 10:46:22 am
Nolan evolved as a coach. The 94 team was a great example. To make that team complete he went out and got two bigs to play along side Corliss ( Robinson and Wilson ) and while neither were dominating, they did add a presence along side Corliss, and made it to where he did not have to try to matchup all the time with the other teams 5. That team also pressed less in the full court, and also was pretty effective playing zone at times.

In his 7 years here what about his style of play has Mike changed or even just tweaked?

The team this year pressed less in full court and was also effective playing zone at times.  I think one difference is the talent level.  CMA does have to recruit better.  That's one of the things that made Nolan a great coach, great players.  Corliss, Scotty and Corey all understood the game and how to play it fundamentally.  Plus they had a lot of individual talent.  Another thing Nolan had that Mike struggles with, in my opinion, is the ability to movitivate players to be their best at all times.  Of course, that was 20 plus years ago and kids are different now than they were then.  Nolan's teams wanted it more it seems.  Mike just doesn't have that chip that Nolan had. 

311Hog

Kevin

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 20, 2018, 09:51:49 am
Brad Brownell has been close to being fired each of the last few years. This year is the outlier.

yep, surprised Clemson kept him this long. but that is what a football school does, who don't care about basketball. I guess that is what we are. a football school who does not care.

but I will say this about brad, he can coach his a## off. he is not a great recruiter.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RazorPiggie

Quote from: 99toLife on March 20, 2018, 10:11:36 am
Someone from Hogville, seems to be a lot of confident internet coaches on here!

My teams would have a dang good Free Throw % and would be able to rebound.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: JD Hogg on March 20, 2018, 10:59:44 am
The team this year pressed less in full court and was also effective playing zone at times.  I think one difference is the talent level.  CMA does have to recruit better.  That's one of the things that made Nolan a great coach, great players.  Corliss, Scotty and Corey all understood the game and how to play it fundamentally.  Plus they had a lot of individual talent.  Another thing Nolan had that Mike struggles with, in my opinion, is the ability to movitivate players to be their best at all times.  Of course, that was 20 plus years ago and kids are different now than they were then.  Nolan's teams wanted it more it seems.  Mike just doesn't have that chip that Nolan had.

Kids feared Nolan on the court. I don't think anyone fears MA.

Kevin

just watch a 30 second timeout. see how many of them are making eye contact with our coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

azhog10

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 04:03:59 pm
Throw 4 mil a year at Greg Marshall and watch him take us to the promise land within 3 years.
So lets get a guy who was one and done against a Marshall team that got beat by 30 in the round of 32?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2018, 11:29:05 am
So lets get a guy who was one and done against a Marshall team that got beat by 30 in the round of 32?

Would you be willing to name someone that isn't Mike Anderson you'd like to get?

steveaustin69

14 tourneys in 20 years. 7 Straight. Final Four. Sweet Sixteen. At the basketball meccas that are Winthrop and Wichita State. What a terrible coach.

HF#1

Surely you aren't that short sided...

480   181   .726

Those numbers don't lie.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 11:35:21 am
14 tourneys in 20 years. 7 Straight. Final Four. Sweet Sixteen. At the basketball meccas that are Winthrop and Wichita State. What a terrible coach.

God forbid I advocate for a guy that wins 72% of his games.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin on March 19, 2018, 04:33:46 pm
if you want to go opposite of what we got, Brad Brownell at Clemson. Great x & o guy
Yes, he's great 2 NCAAT in 8 years vs. 3 NCAAT in 7 years. Also can't recruit, has 3 3star recruits for 2018. He has finished the last five years in recruiting the following: 80th, 82nd, 116th, 46th, and 47th. Mike had the one year with only one recruit and we all know how that panned out. Other than that one year his recruiting was never worse than 43rd.

No way Mike would still have a job if he performed like Brownell.

azhog10

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2018, 11:35:49 am
Surely you aren't that short sided...

480   181   .726

Those numbers don't lie.
Just sarcastic.

HF#1

azhog10

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 20, 2018, 11:34:26 am
Would you be willing to name someone that isn't Mike Anderson you'd like to get?
I already did, maybe it was in another thread. If we were looking, we aren't going to get a big name that's been proven time and time again. So I would go after a Peter Moser (some don't like him but he's a really good X's and O's coach but not sure he can recruit), Nate Oaks, Musselman, and I might take a stab at Danny Hurley althought idk if he ever leaves the Northeast.

RazorPiggie

RazorPiggie

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2018, 11:40:11 am
I already did, maybe it was in another thread. If we were looking, we aren't going to get a big name that's been proven time and time again. So I would go after a Peter Moser (some don't like him but he's a really good X's and O's coach but not sure he can recruit), Nate Oaks, Musselman, and I might take a stab at Danny Hurley althought idk if he ever leaves the Northeast.

Thanks for answering!

navyhog24

If Thad Matta is truly ready to come back, then I say go after him.

cardsNhogs

Hollywood_HOGan

Beard. Turned tech from a doormat into a sweet 16 team.

redhogchilipepper

Seeing how this is got shites and grins I'd say Keith Dambrot no other reason besides he's a winner and is the only coach LeBron didn't get fired

island hog

NinoHogUNIA

BIE

Dirty

Mike is not going anywhere so this topic is freaking hilarious 😂!!!!

husker71

It is Porter Moser and he was 22-50 in the Missouri Valley Conference when he was fired at Illinois State.  My gosh Mike Davis who was 16-20 this season and started off the year 0-14.  He plays anybody at their place (give him credit for that) rarely wins and then comes back and wins his lousy conference.   He has had 2 good jobs Indiana and UAB and was fired at both of them.  His 1st year at Indiana they went to the final four with talent left over but from then on he was average at best.  Some people just throw out names.  The big rap against MA is that he cant recruit but Moser or Davis have not recruited anyone that was highly rated.  Davis gets a lot of Div 1 transfers and I think Moser gets a lot of transfers also.

Leadbelly

McDermott At Creighton, Underwood from Illinois and my wild card......Bobby Hurley at Arizona State!
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

zenchow

Sure would be ironic for Hurley to end up here at some point

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

husker71

why in the world would Hurley or Mack take the Arkansas job???  Mack is lifetime Xavier guy (he even went to Xavier HIGH SCHOOL) and will be offered a lot of really good jobs now and in the future.  Hurley is a national name and can go and recruit anywhere he wants.  Maybe the UCLA job will be open in the next year or so but I would think he may want to go back east.  If his brother has the UConn job he can get a better job than that I would think or close to it.  I will say it  Arkansas is no longer a highly desired job.  It is a good job for sure but not nearly an elite job

husker71

By the way I know the Pitt job is open but why a coach at URI or Arizona State or Xavier would think about stepping into that job is mindboggling.  Arkansas IMHO is a much much better job than Pitt.  Now the Louisville job could be good again BUT I would want to know about every possible sanctions scenario before even thinking about it.  By the way why doesn't the NCAA put show cause sanctions on Rick Pitino?? I would think now he would qualify for that . 

Slater

Quote from: hawgtime on March 19, 2018, 02:43:40 pm
if we do get rid of Anderson, who would be a great next Head Hog?  I am out of it but wonder what coaches you would like and WHY?

TJ, keep it in the family and enjoy another 15 years of winning, clean basketball. Seeing the hater lynch mob implode would be fun.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Sivad

Someone with no ties to Nolan so he will be evaluated solely on his performance as our basketball coach and then rewarded or dismissed based on that performance or lack thereof.

1highhog

Hawgphat

I won't brazenly try to pass myself off as an astute judge of basketball coaching talent; - -I'm not.  It would seem to me to be a sensible precaution to have someone waiting in the wings who was demonstrably superior to what we now have before pulling the trigger in a knee-jerk fashion decision, - - - making a change simply upon the basis of instituting a personality and stylistic change, with no realistic foreseeable expectation of effecting a program quality upgrade.  Exchanging one particular dissatisfaction figure for another dissatisfaction figure is perhaps not the best ploy in any purported quest toward the attainment of a "winning formula".

:-\