Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Howland: From LA to Mississippi State

Started by jbcarol, March 22, 2015, 09:31:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Ben Howland & Korey McCray took a private jet to Twin Falls, Idaho to see @RayKasongo32 after seeing him in Toronto this weekend
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

MSU Men's Basketball @HailStateMBK  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Individual workouts have officially started. #HailState

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

MikePiazza

Quote from: jbcarol on April 01, 2015, 11:06:52 am
MSU Men's Basketball @HailStateMBK  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Individual workouts have officially started. #HailState

Interesting that MSU has a practice court named after Erick Dampier.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

jbcarol

Ben Howland @Ben_Howland  · 

I'm so proud to announce my coaching staff - George Brooks, Korey McCray & Ernie Zeigler. Great day to be a Bulldog.

Thomas Ian Few ‏@Tomthesportsnut

@Ben_Howland @MaroonDawg_ I love like the picture you and your coaching staff sir. Looks interesting!! Also looks really good too sir.

jbcarol

M&WN @mandwnation  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Malik Newman, Ben Howland, Nigel Knott and Recruiting with @CourtneyRCronin http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/04/08/malik-newman-ben-howland-nigel-knott-and-recruiting/ ...

jbcarol

Alex Kline @TheRecruitScoop  ·  Apr 12

Mississippi State has offered 2017 Alabama Challenge (AL) PF Garrison Brooks, his coach announced. His father is an assistant coach at MSU.

jbcarol

DJournalnow @DJournalnow  ·  Apr 11

Getting stronger: Big-name hires could improve SEC's profile http://ow.ly/Ltyy4  | Barnes, Howland, Johnson boast strong résumés.

QuoteOver the past month, Mississippi State and Tennessee both hired coaches with Final Four experience. The Bulldogs selected Ben Howland and the Volunteers landed Rick Barnes.

Alabama also made a run at a Final Four coach by pursuing Wichita State's Gregg Marshall before hiring Avery Johnson, who lacks college experience but has coached in the NBA Finals.

All three are making at least $2 million per year, earning significantly more than their predecessors.

Howland is getting $2.05 million per year, about double what his predecessor Rick Ray made. Barnes is receiving $2.25 million per year to replace Donnie Tyndall, who had been making $1.6 million.

They're continuing a trend that began last year when Auburn gave Bruce Pearl a six-year contract totaling $14.7 million after firing Tony Barbee, who had been making $1.5 million annually.

"When I was in the SEC (before), I didn't see 100 percent commitment from every institution in the league," Pearl said. "I do see it now. That's pretty strong."

That's reflected in the star power of the new SEC coaches. Howland, Barnes, Johnson and Pearl all replaced coaches who were hired from outside the major conferences.

Howland reached three straight Final Fours with UCLA from 2006-08...

Barnes' 22 NCAA Tournament appearances are two more than Tennessee has in its entire history. Howland has the same number of NCAA invitations (10) as Mississippi State.

They see no reason why they can't continue their success at their current schools while also raising the level of play in the SEC.

"My expectation is we will get seven, eight, nine teams into the NCAA Tournament on a year-in and year-out basis here in the near future in this league," Howland said. "That's one of the reasons I am excited about being here. This league has the potential to put more than half its teams in the NCAA Tournament."

jbcarol

Oscar Combs @wildcatnews  ·  19h 19 hours ago

Who says SEC is ignoring men's basketball? And don't forget ex-UCLA HC Ben Howland has taken over at MSU while Rick Barnes is at Tennessee.

jbcarol

Five-star Malik Newman is eyeing a handful of options, from playing international ball to joining on with a college team - and Kentucky, Mississippi State and LSU are all teams that still seem to be in the thick of the case. The Clarion Ledger's Courtney Cronin, who has been on the ground in Jackson throughout the Mississippi standout's recruitment, has been able to keep a pulse on the five-star's action as well as anyone...

QuotePrior to Kentucky's mass departure of underclassmen and Mississippi State's coaching changes, LSU appeared to be the team out front, but now the Wildcats and Bulldogs have become the flavors of the month.

"The hire of Ben Howland plays a big factor," Cronin said. "I think it was a home run hire and Mississippi State makes sense just like Kentucky makes sense. His relationship with [MSU assistant] Korey McCray, that's why LSU was in the picture. They had a great in-home visit a couple weeks ago. Howland can carve out a path to the league and has done it before with players of Malik's caliber like Russell Westbrook.

"I know Mississippi State is trending and I can see it with Mississippi State, but I also see Kentucky given that all of those players left. It's so close. It's so hard to tell right now. People saying it's a lock are wrong. He has a lot of thinking to do. It may take, for a place like State, to see who else they can get in."

jbcarol

Scarblog: Ben Howland sounded excited about his new job coaching the Mississippi State basketball team. He sounded just as excited about his weekend plans.

He'll be coaching the Mississippi State football team.

OK, it's just the spring game, and he's just a guest coach Saturday as part of Super Bulldog Weekend, but still.

Quote"I'm really excited about that," Howland said Thursday on my WNSP radio show in Mobile. "I have a formula. Get the ball to Dak Prescott."

Hey, Howland coached Russell Westbrook at UCLA. He knows the importance of keeping the ball in the hands of your best player. That's easier when your best player is the quarterback.

Howland said he really wanted to coach again next season after two years away from the sideline after UCLA let him go. He was looking for a head coaching job in a Power 5 conference, and football was part of the reason.

(By the way, he said Alabama never contacted him or his agent to gauge his potential interest in that job. Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin made Howland his top target.)

"When you look at football and basketball, all the best programs in the country, with the exception of a few maybe, have both," Howland said. "I knew that having good football only helps basketball.

"Let's be clear here. The most important sport on a major college campus is football because it costs the most and it has the most revenue potential to bring money into the university. Football is very, very important. I love college football."

There are some basketball coaches who would shy away from coaching their sport in a conference where the passion for football runs as deep as it does in the SEC. Not Howland.

"There's no question, it's not even debatable, who has the best football conference in America. Period. It's the SEC," he said. "It's raised everybody's level. Mississippi State was No. 1 in the country for five weeks last year in football, and that's absolutely awesome."

State's poised to have another big year in football with Prescott returning at quarterback, and don't be surprised if the basketball Bulldogs take an immediate leap forward, too, under Howland's guidance. There's talent and experience returning in Humphrey Coliseum...

jbcarol

loganlowery @loganlowery  ·  5h 5 hours ago
Ben Howland said he thought former MSU signee Tookie Brown made a good decision and wishes him the best in his future.

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits  · 
2015 Morgan County (GA)/Mississippi State commit G Tookie Brown is reopening his recruitment. @tookie_b http://verbalcommits.com/players/tookie-

jbcarol

Fred Thomas Shooting Experience 4.0 is underway.

The Mississippi State shooting guard entered his fourth and final season with the program two weeks ago, when the Bulldogs began spring workouts under new coach Ben Howland. They conclude next week coinciding with the final day of classes.

QuoteIt didn't take long for Thomas' shooting stroke to impress his new coach.

"I really like Fred Thomas. He stands out to me in potential," Howland said. "He can really shoot the ball. I think we can get him better shooting the ball."

It's the same thing Rick Stansbury said when he recruited the Jackson native...

His junior season finished in a downward spiral. His minutes decreased in each of the last five games of the season concluding with a DNP in the Southeastern Conference Tournament in Nashville...

"I would pay somebody a lot of money if they could come in and figure out the enigma of Fred Thomas," Rick Ray said after MSU's win against LSU.

It's no longer Ray's responsibility to decipher Thomas' game. It's Howland's turn to take a swing at the Fred Thomas Shooting Experience.

jbcarol

Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS  ·  42m 42 minutes ago

Malik Newman plans to publicly commit to Mississippi State this week, multiple sources have told @CBSSports. Story: http://cbsprt.co/1aSURms

jbcarol

Fran Fraschilla @franfraschilla  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Good stuff here on new Mississippi State coach Ben Howland. SEC basketball has had terrific off-season. http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/04/23/ben-howland-new-coach-mississippi-state-rebels-ucla-interview ...

QuoteSTARKVILLE, Miss.— At 8:30 on a recent weekday morning, Ben Howland flips through a copy of the Starkville Daily News in a front table at the Starkville Cafe. As he plows through a plate of eggs, bacon and hash browns, he greets all the locals by name who stop by his table. "Have a nice day, Chris!" he says, cheerily. As Howland walks out, he takes a recruiting pitch from one customer trying to convince Howland to get his car detailed.

Just a few weeks after one of the most jarring zip code changes of college basketball's offseason—from Santa Barbara, Calif., to Starkville, Miss.—

GoHogs1091

Since they landed Newman, the following could be their starting lineup next season.

PG  Newman   Fr.  5 Star
SG   Sword   Sr.   4 Star   An All-Conference type of a player.  Has scored 33 points in a game on the road against LSU at Baton Rouge.
SF   Houston   So.  6'7"   
PF   Black   So.   6'9"
C     Ware   Sr.   6'9"   4 Star

Bench

PG   Ready   Jr.   Scored 18 points in a SEC Tournament game against Auburn this just past season.

SG   Thomas   Sr.   6'5"   Scored 14 points in a game against Kentucky this just past season.
SG   Daniels   RsSr.   6'8"
SG   Weatherspoon   Fr.   6'5"   4 Star
SG   Dunlap   So.   

SF   Strugg   Fr.   6'8"   Very athletic, but raw.

PF   Zuppardo   Sr.   6'9"   A JUCO that did not play last season for MSU due to an injury.  I have read that he has a good mid-range game.

C   Ndoye   RsSo.   6'11"   Will be his third year in their program.

If they land Center, Ray Kasongo, who I have seen listed at 6'10", then Dunlap probably will be moving on.  I have read that Kasongo is very athletic, and can block shots.

There should be enough talent, along with Howland's coaching, for Howland to win at least 20 games this up coming season.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  18h 18 hours ago

Gotta wonder if Ben Howland is gonna instill Rick Stansbury-type fear on the recruiting trail at Mississippi State.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  10h 10 hours ago
Things were bad at Mississippi State for a while. They're not anymore. Thank Ben Howland. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/04/24/kellenberger-howland-key-coup-bulldogs/26332177/ ...

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  6h 6 hours ago

Ben Howland talks about Malik Newman's commitment, the buzz around Mississippi State, and more. A Q & A @CBSSports http://cbsprt.co/1zWzhnN

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin  ·  22h 22 hours ago

I spoke with Ray Kasongo at a time where Mississippi State appeared to be in the lead. His quotes are here: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2015/04/28/ray-kasongo-tennessee/26534781/ ...

QuoteMississippi State's resurgence in basketball will stop with Malik Newman. For now.

Four days after landing the nation's top guard in the class of 2015, the Bulldogs were hoping for more good news from JUCO power forward Ray Kasongo (who picked the Vols.)

MSU assistant coach Korey McCray was leading the Bulldogs' recruitment of the three-star prospect after the two formed a relationship while Kasongo was in high school.

"I have a pretty good relationship with him," Kasongo told The Clarion-Ledger. "He's been recruiting me since I was a junior in high school when he was at UCLA. When he was at LSU, he was recruiting me then and now at Mississippi State."

A week ago, signs pointed to the Bulldogs as Kasongo's landing spot. On Tuesday, Tennessee flipped the script.

This is the second commitment of the day for new Tennessee coach Rick Barnes. The Volunteers landed 2016 point guard Lamonte' Turner earlier this afternoon.

"I feel like my decision will be based on the coaching staff and the playing time and the players around me," Kasongo said. "I want to be around a great group of guys that are doing big things. I don't want to go somewhere and not play or be in good terms with the coach. Playing time will have a really big impact on what I decide to do."

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  22h 22 hours ago

MSU's recruitment of Malik Newman ended with Ben Howland but began with someone else. http://on.thec-l.com/1HdlQmd

QuoteSTARKVILLE Ben Howland had about a month as the face of Mississippi State basketball to convince Malik Newman to join him in Humphrey Coliseum this fall.

MSU hired Howland on March 23. Newman announced his decision to attend Mississippi State on April 24.

The process went back further though and didn't begin with Howland, but assistant George Brooks.

"He had recruited Malik and his father Horatio for three years, actually three-plus years," Howland told ESPN's Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg. "He did a great job developing a relationship so we had a person on our staff that they were very comfortable with."

Newman's addition to the roster instantly gave the Bulldogs credibility in the Southeastern Conference and across the national landscape. ESPN ranks MSU's incoming freshman class as the 19th best in the country. Four-star prospects Quinndary Weatherspoon and Joe Struggs join Newman in the class...

jbcarol

Brian Snow @BSnowScout  ·  2h 2 hours ago

News story on Aric Holman picking Mississippi State http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1548211

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  2h 2 hours ago

I've watched Aric Holman since he was a freshman. Has made major strides. Grown to 6-9, long, runs floor & has a lot of offensive potential.

Holman was a mid-major prospect last year. High-major now. Has upside. Can make hooks & mid-range J's. Ben Howland stole one late.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jbcarol on May 21, 2015, 11:02:20 am
Brian Snow @BSnowScout  ·  2h 2 hours ago

News story on Aric Holman picking Mississippi State http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1548211

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  2h 2 hours ago

I've watched Aric Holman since he was a freshman. Has made major strides. Grown to 6-9, long, runs floor & has a lot of offensive potential.

Holman was a mid-major prospect last year. High-major now. Has upside. Can make hooks & mid-range J's. Ben Howland stole one late.

Holman is someone that Rick Pitino wanted, but Louisville didn't have room, and Pitino wanted Holman to reclassify to 2016 when Louisville would have the room.

The addition of Holman probably makes MSU's 2015 class a top 20 class.

Newman   PG   5 Star
Weatherspoon   SG   4 Star
Holman   PF   4 Star
Strugg   Forward (I presume a Small Forward)   3 Star

MikePiazza

Mississippi State is going to be a lot better next year. How much better, I don't know. I think they'll probably win 18-20 games and be a NIT team.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

jbcarol

Bo Mattingly @SportsTalkwBo  ·  2h 2 hours ago
Howland: If a young man is a top-20 pick, he should go to the NBA. It's a business decision. Those NBA teams will be committed to you.

Howland on Mike Anderson: They have one of the best coaches in the country there at Arkansas. It's a tough system to prepare for.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  May 21

Ben Howland on Holman: "I think he impacts us right away. He makes us better where we're weakest, which is up front." http://on.thec-l.com/1SjbjOM

QuoteBen Howland added the latest piece to Mississippi State's extreme makeover in 2015, announcing the signing of 6-foot-9 forward Aric Holman on Wednesday.

The four-star signee from Owensboro, Kentucky is the second player Howland signed since being introduced as MSU's coach in late March.

"He has an unbelievable skill level," Howland said. "His ability to shoot the ball and he's not a good passer, he's a great passer. He can handle the ball on the floor. He's got a very, very bright future."

Holman joins five-star and top-10 prospect Malik Newman. Holman picked Mississippi State among a group of schools that included Texas, Louisville, South Carolina and Miami. Holman planned to attend Hargrave Military Academy, but will reclassify to 2015.

Mississippi State, a team that finished in the bottom of the Southeastern Conference the last three seasons, suddenly has a talent-laden roster with a mix of experience and youth in a matter of months since Howland took over.

The Bulldogs will play five seniors next season, including Craig Sword a second-team all-Southeastern Conference selection last season. This year's freshman class consists of Newman, four-star prospects Holman and Quinndary Weatherspoon and three-star talent Joseph Struggs.

Among the talent, Howland expects his latest addition to find time on the court and produce.

"I think he impacts us right away," Howland said. "He makes us better where we're weakest, which is up front."

GoHogs1091

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 22, 2015, 11:57:57 am
Mississippi State is going to be a lot better next year. How much better, I don't know. I think they'll probably win 18-20 games and be a NIT team.

They should be able to win at least 20 games.  They will have a lot of experience returning (3 Seniors and 1 Redshirt Senior, who all played a lot last season).  Additionally, they won't be turning the ball over as much as they have the last 3 seasons, they will be playing better defense, and they will have better perimeter shooting than they have had over the last 3 seasons.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 19h19 hours ago

SEC announces new basketball scheduling format, including three permanent opponetns each season. MSU and OM's here -> http://on.thec-l.com/1HPF0UP

QuoteState and Ole Miss are guaranteed to meet twice on the hardwood each season after new a Southeastern Conference scheduling format was announced on Thursday.

State's permanent opponents include Ole Miss, Alabama and South Carolina. In addition to MSU, Ole Miss will play Auburn and Missouri every season.

jbcarol

Malik Newman brings more than talent to State

QuoteA hoard of children, teens and adults engulfed the front corner of the Jackson Convention Complex on Thursday night. The group – five wide and more than 10 people deep – flocked to the area where nine time NFL Pro Bowler and Super Bowl Champion Drew Brees stood.

The pictures and autographs at the front of the pack revealed a different celebrity. Mississippi State basketball signee Malik Newman posed with fans and signed his name on everything from business placards to footballs and programs.

"It's great," Newman said. "Especially when you know your fans and the city, you know they're behind you. Actually the state, because everyone from around the state was here. With stuff like that, it's something to be proud of."

Newman won Male Athlete of the Year during the inaugural Best of MS Preps.

His night ended by taking two pictures with security guards at the event, then providing them with the autograph he's practiced since eighth grade. Newman remained as the only athlete in the building, accompanied by a few hostesses.

It closed the book on one of the best high school careers in the history of Mississippi. Earlier Thursday night, Newman won Boys Basketball Player of the Year. He won four-straight state titles with Callaway High School. He won two gold medals with USA Basketball. An MVP award accompanied both medals. He was a McDonald's All-American and had his number retired at Callaway prior to his final game.

"What makes him great is everywhere he goes, he wins," MSU coach Ben Howland said after Newman signed. "That's what he's going to help us do, win."

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  May 28
Who needs Drew Brees? Malik Newman has been taking pictures and signing autographs for 10 mins.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1h1 hour ago

MSU basketball announces new strength coach http://on.thec-l.com/1IcZzuD

MSU Men's Basketball ‏@HailStateMBK 3h3 hours ago

David Deets has been named MSU's new Director of Basketball Performance (strength & conditioning). #HailState

QuoteAfter 33 years as MSU's basketball strength and conditioning coach, Richard Akins retired.

Mississippi State announced his replacement, David Deets, on Tuesday as well.

"I am excited to be back in the SEC and at a school like Mississippi State with the tradition they have in basketball," Deets said. "Being able to join Coach (Ben) Howland and his staff, who have a great record of success, is very exciting."

Deets, 39, spent last year in Oklahoma as the director of rehab and strength & conditioning for the Tuttle Public School district. Prior to that position, he was on Mike Anderson's staff at Arkansas for three years as strength and conditioning coach.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 18h18 hours ago

Mississippi State and Oliver Black part ways. MSU now has one open scholarship in 2015 (good 4 adding post depth) http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2015/06/02/msu-oliver-black-part-ways-after-one-year/28388523/ ...

QuoteSTARKVILLE On a day where freshmen are eligible to report, Mississippi State's basketball roster decreased.

Oliver Black is no longer with MSU a team spokesperson told the Clarion-Ledger Tuesday night. Black averaged 1.8 points and 2.4 rebound in his only season with the Bulldogs. The freshman averaged 15 minutes per game in 31 contests last year.

He is the second player second-year player to leave Mississippi State under Ben Howland. Guard Maurice Dunlap left the program two weeks ago. Black's departure was mutual according to MSU...

State has reinforcements coming this fall. The incoming freshmen class currently includes two players at 6-9. Holman should be able to play immediately. Although, he's a stretch-four, comfortable playing around the perimeter. Joseph Struggs, a 6-9 froward from Montgomery, Alabama, weighs only 185 pounds. Black was 224.

The class will add depth along with returners Gavin Ware, Fallou Ndoye and Johnny Zuppardo. Zuppardo is a perimeter player though.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 32m32 minutes ago

WATCH: @iammaliknewman makes a heartfelt journey back to his roots on the Season 2 finale of Beyond The Game http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2015/06/05/beyond-the-game-s2-finale/28534789/ ...

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 22h22 hours ago

First day of class in Starkville for Malik Newman, Quinndary Weatherspoon and Aric Holman.

jbcarol

Ben Howland: "Dakari Johnson made a big mistake putting his name in the draft this season...

"Karl Anthony-Towns is the closest thing to a Tim Duncan, skill-wise, in the last 15 years coming out of college..."

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 23h23 hours ago

Mississippi State signee Aric Holman (http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/topic/players?type=players&category=Basketball%20Recruiting&classYear=2015&minimumInterest=%22Low%22&name=holman&start=null ...) has been slotted at No. 71 in the 2015 class

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 6h6 hours ago

Courtney Cronin retweeted Ben Wait

Mississippi high school basketball programs put very little emphasis on weight training across the board.

Ben Wait
‏@bcwait

Howland has high praise for new strength coach David Deets. Freshmen said the weight room was foreign to them.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner Jun 29

Howland expects Joseph Strugg to be on campus for the second summer semester on July 6.

Howland says incoming freshmen have already put on weight.

Howland also talked about Quinndary Weatherspoon's work on improving his shooting stroke.

Howland said Q is working on not dropping the ball after he catches it, squaring up to the basket and not watching the ball in flight.

jbcarol

After nearly a month of workouts, @HailStateMBK's freshmen are gaining college experience and weight http://on.thec-l.com/1IokidO

QuoteBen Howland and Mississippi State's new strength coach are taking the "Freshman 15" to a whole different level.

The Bulldogs basketball program is four weeks through its summer workout program. On June 4, freshmen Malik Newman, Quinndary Weatherspoon and Aric Holman all agreed the weight room with strength coach David Deets was their toughest test.

Less than a month later, they're turning in passing grades.

"All three of those freshmen have put on a significant amount of muscle already," Howland said. "I'm really excited. They've really performed well."

A fourth freshman will be joining the trio soon. Howland expects three-star forward Joseph Strugg to report to Starkville for the second summer semester, which begins July 6. Strugg missed the first summer session because of issues pertaining to his transcript arriving on time.

When Strugg arrives he'll meet MSU's first-year basketball. Deets, the heir to 33-year veteran Richard Akins, has the Bulldogs doing yoga twice a week in addition to workouts in the weight room.

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik Jun 29

Ben Howland praising former #Mizzou and Arkansas strength and conditioning coach David Deets, who's on staff now at Mississippi State.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 6h6 hours ago

Ben Howland gives SEC and @HailStateMBK basketball credibility http://on.thec-l.com/1Iw2DRL

QuoteSTARKVILLE – The Southeastern Conference infused 32 NCAA Tournament bids into its overall basketball coaching resume in the offseason.

Ben Howland owns 10 of those appearances...

"It's exciting to be coming in with a great group of coaches like those three," Howland said. "There's already a great group here."

Two years ago, the SEC received three bids to the 2013 NCAA Tournament. It was the fewest of any Power 5 conference. The Atlantic 10 and Mountain West each received five.

The league countered by requiring teams to submit their non-conference schedules for approval in order to improve RPI. Then-SEC commissioner Mike Slive also asked teams to invest in basketball.

Last March, the SEC sent five teams to the NCAA Tournament. The league also built on its high profile coaching hire from 2014 when Auburn hired Bruce Pearl.

"It makes a statement that our league has continued to really step up and upgrade from a standpoint of the coaches and programs and want to be one of the best conferences in the country," Arkansas coach Mike Anderson said. "It's amazing the turnover."

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 31m31 minutes ago

Quick story: Xavian Stapleton cites Ben Howland's success at putting players into the NBA as reason for choosing MSU http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2015/07/05/xavian-stapleton-mississippi-state/29737239/ ...

QuoteLess than three weeks after requesting a transfer from Louisiana Tech, former Madison Central Dandy Dozen guard Xavian Stapleton confirmed to The Clarion-Ledger that he will transfer to Mississippi State.

Stapleton uses Mississippi State's last scholarship in 2015-16 that was freed up by former Bulldog Oliver Black, who parted ways with the program in June. MSU now has 13 players on scholarship for the upcoming season.

After requesting his initial transfer waiver in June, Louisiana Tech restricted Stapleton from transferring to 55 Division I programs, but lessened the restrictions to 20 schools last week. Stapleton visited Starkville on Friday along with Alabama and Iowa State earlier in the week.

Citing personal reasons as the catalyst for his transfer, Stapleton will now be within two hours of home and have the opportunity to play for a program he believes will help him become an NBA caliber player.

"It's close to home and I'm a Mississippi guy," Stapleton said. "Coach (Ben) Howland seems like he's a great coach and he's put a great number of players in the NBA and they're still competing in the NBA. I think he can help me achieve my dreams of becoming an NBA player."

As a senior in high school, Mississippi State actively recruited Stapleton but never extended an offer. The guard believes his fresh start with the program is what will help him be successful going forward.

"(Howland) told me what he expects to do with me and they treated me and like my family like home on my visit," he said. "It just feels so good. It felt like the right thing to do."

Stapleton said Howland will rely on him heavily in practice during the upcoming season.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 37m37 minutes ago

MSU basketball hoped Joseph Strugg would be on campus today. They'll have to wait another month. http://on.thec-l.com/1MbSWa4

QuoteSTARKVILLE -- Joseph Strugg, an incoming freshman signed with Mississippi State's basketball team, won't enroll at the university until August, the school announced on Tuesday.

MSU coach Ben Howland hoped to have Strugg on campus for the second summer session, which began on Monday. Strugg's high school transcript has been the issue preventing the 6-foot-8 forward from arriving on campus.

Strugg is part of a four-player freshmen class in 2015. Three enrolled at MSU in early June, including the top-ranked guard in the country Malik Newman. Four-star players Quinndary Weatherspoon and Aric Holman also enrolled during June...

jbcarol

Eamonn Brennan ‏@eamonnbrennan Jul 16

Ben Howland could have chilled in Santa Barbara forever. Instead, he moved to Stark Vegas. Why? Today's feature: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13255785/ben-howland-southern-california-starkville-challenge-mississippi-state ...

QuoteState coach Ben Howland is sitting across the table, having just polished off a low-carb, diet-compliant omelet, and he's particularly fired up. The team he inherited in March wasn't very good at a lot of basic basketball stuff. Summer workouts are in full swing. His list of immediate developmental priorities is exhaustive.

"We're trying to teach them to set good screens, how to use a screen, how to come off a screen watching a defender, all of it," Howland says. "They were the s---iest screening team. Last year's team averaged [nine] assists and 15 turnovers a game. They weren't a good passing team. They weren't a good shooting team.

"And shooting, as you know, that's why Wisconsin was so good last year, because they shoot the ball. Virginia, they shoot -- The best teams shoot the -- And uh, this is --"

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  5h5 hours ago
Some basketball news: Fallou Ndoye had surgery on his right wrist last Wednesday to repair a partially torn tendon. Will be back in Oct.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 5h5 hours ago

Mississippi State opens Puerto Rico Tip Off with Miami http://on.thec-l.com/1STLSWY

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 30m30 minutes ago

Up and down offseason: MSU endures surgeries, freshmen bulk up. http://on.thec-l.com/1ECSKBz 

Howland says Joe Struggs has issues with his shins. He'll miss a couple of months. MSU down to 11 scholarship players.

Howland said Drs. took a piece of Stapleton's hamstring to create a new ligament for his knee. Howland hopes he'll be back in May.

Malik Newman increased his vertical 5.5 inches and more than 10 LBS. "That's unheard of."

Howland: "My expectation is we'll lose all five seniors, plus Malik."

Howland: When we start on Oct. 5 there will be a huge emphasis on defense.