Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 SF Dikembe Dixson (B-Ball)

Started by -Blu, December 15, 2014, 09:18:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 01, 2015, 04:48:18 pm
I'm not a Jacorey fan. But he does a lot of things that don't show up on the stat book. Shoe throw and all. He provides versatility, he can play as big as we need him to due to this length, and he can even run on the wing. His mid range shot is okay and he gets it off really quick. Yes his FT% needs to get a lot better and his decision making needs to improve. But he played a lot of valuable minutes and he isn't a guy you can just go out and replace.
I was with you until you got there. He is a role player, but it's not a role that you couldn't get a lot of other guys to develop into and fill, and maybe even better than he does.

Hawg Red

QuoteDikembe Dixson ‏@Ddixson_35 18 hours ago

Only schools that's showin love that's offered me is Marshall, Arkansas, Mississippi State, an South Carolina. So guess that's my top 4

jry04

I do not know much about him, but he looks like he has tremendous upside from the videos I have seen. Doesn't look like he can shoot at all, but he had his head even with the rim on a few dunks I saw on youtube. I think him and Melvin Frazier would both be worthy of scholarships in this class, and then save the last one for next year or a transfer.

Hawg Red

Dixson has listed us in his top 4, per his Twitter.

QuoteDikembe Dixson ‏@Ddixson_35 18 hours ago

Only schools that's showin love that's offered me is Marshall, Arkansas, Mississippi State, an South Carolina. So guess that's my top 4

nwahogfan1

Rebounders are recruited and usually not made at the college level.  If coach wants a good rebounding player then he has to find them and sign them.  From what I have read if healthy Kapita will be a very good rebounding 4 man.  Lets hope he shows up healthy.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on April 20, 2015, 10:11:00 am
I do not know much about him, but he looks like he has tremendous upside from the videos I have seen. Doesn't look like he can shoot at all, but he had his head even with the rim on a few dunks I saw on youtube. I think him and Melvin Frazier would both be worthy of scholarships in this class, and then save the last one for next year or a transfer.

I'd like to see the close of recruiting round out like this:

1st spot: Nick King - We don't need 3 new guys on the roster that need to play, but we do need a wing (or two) and a big. King is almost assuredly a starter at SF once eligible.

2nd spot: Melvin Frazier - Could be another Qualls. If not Frazier, Ty Outlaw. If not Outlaw, Dixson. That's where it ends for me. Dixson's as far as I'd like to see them reach.

3rd spot: Probably a grad transfer big. No clue who. Seems like that is where the staff is looking for a replacement big, from what is being reported. Smart move. Keeps options open going forward.

A grad transfer big gives us some experience and depth in the paint, takes a little pressure off Trey and Ted to have to produce so much. Our biggest need right now is the 3 spot. We address it immediately with Frazier/Outlaw/Dixson plus King for next year. I say King is almost sure to be starter in 2016-2017, but any wing looking for playing time needs to look at Arkansas right now. Huge, gaping hole at the 3. Someone is going to have a chance to entrench themselves as the starter this year, probably.

thehill1414

Wow, he seems really grateful to have received scholarship offers from 4 schools (sarcasm).  Not sure I want anything to do with this guy.

King, Frazier, and a JW3 would be my wish list!

Hawg Red

Quote from: thehill1414 on April 20, 2015, 10:37:46 am
Wow, he seems really grateful to have received scholarship offers from 4 schools (sarcasm).  Not sure I want anything to do with this guy.

JW3 is blocked from SEC schools.

jry04

Keep wishing on JW3...

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 20, 2015, 10:26:35 am
I'd like to see the close of recruiting round out like this:

1st spot: Nick King - We don't need 3 new guys on the roster that need to play, but we do need a wing (or two) and a big. King is almost assuredly a starter at SF once eligible.

2nd spot: Melvin Frazier - Could be another Qualls. If not Frazier, Ty Outlaw. If not Outlaw, Dixson. That's where it ends for me. Dixson's as far as I'd like to see them reach.

3rd spot: Probably a grad transfer big. No clue who. Seems like that is where the staff is looking for a replacement big, from what is being reported. Smart move. Keeps options open going forward.

A grad transfer big gives us some experience and depth in the paint, takes a little pressure off Trey and Ted to have to produce so much. Our biggest need right now is the 3 spot. We address it immediately with Frazier/Outlaw/Dixson plus King for next year. I say King is almost sure to be starter in 2016-2017, but any wing looking for playing time needs to look at Arkansas right now. Huge, gaping hole at the 3. Someone is going to have a chance to entrench themselves as the starter this year, probably.

I would say Outlaw would be the most important between the 3 of Frazier/Outlaw/Dixon.  Outlaw is a guy that can come in next year and start immediately at the 3 spot.  He shoots the ball very well and can attack the rim, he'll be a "unique" in what he can bring compared to the guys we currently have on the roster. 

I would say Frazier would be next on the list, I seen him play once in person, he was impressive, but he can't shoot the ball that well, and I think it'll be an adjustment for him.  I think he'd make the rotation, but won't compete for a starting spot like Outlaw would. 

Dixon looks like a JaCorey Williams type of player, you watch JaCorey's highlight tapes compared to Dixon's and they are very similar.  I'm not sure he would make the 10 man rotation next year.  From his videos he looks limited in what he can do. 

IMO, getting Outlaw, a grad transfer, then Nick King would be the best scenario for the off-season.  Frazier would be option 2, then a guy like Dixon.

Hawg Red

I like the 4 year potential of Frazier more than 2 years of Outlaw, but Outlaw is probably more realistic because I don't have much faith that Frazier will qualify. We'll probably be recruiting him again 2 years from now.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 20, 2015, 12:26:59 pm
I like the 4 year potential of Frazier more than 2 years of Outlaw, but Outlaw is probably more realistic because I don't have much faith that Frazier will qualify. We'll probably be recruiting him again 2 years from now.

I wish UAFS was still a JUCO so we could funnel players through their system.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 20, 2015, 12:26:59 pm

Staff needs to be worried about the immediate future rather than 4 years from now or at least I would if I was them.  Next year (2016-2017) or the year after that is not guaranteed, they need to put together the best possible team they can for the upcoming season.  Hypothetically if they have a bad year next year, and if they miss on some key targets next year, they may not be around to enjoy the potential of Frazier in his prime.  Frazier would be a good pick-up no doubt, I like his game and would be happy with the signing, but I don't see him as an "impact" guy in his first year, there's still noticeable holes in his game, that's why a lot of services dropped his ranking down.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on April 20, 2015, 02:24:38 pm
Staff needs to be worried about the immediate future rather than 4 years from now or at least I would if I was them.  Next year or a year from now is not guaranteed, they need to put together the best possible team they can for next year.  Hypothetically if they have a bad year next year, and if they miss on some key targets next year, they may not be around to enjoy the potential of Frazier in his prime.

With Outlaw being a JUCO, I'm not sure how much better he's going to be than a freshman or sophomore Frazier. My expectation would be that he'd be marginally better. Maybe he's markedly better, but you just never know with most JUCOs. This time last year, we all thought Jabril Durham was the answer to our PG woes. Outlaw could be the next Sonny Weems but he could also be the next Jemal Farmer. And we only get him for two years, so he's gotta pay off immediately.

With that said, I'm fine with the staff signing Outlaw. Seems like our best JUCO wing option. But I'd prefer Frazier to him. Frazier's a guy that's only available right now because he doesn't have the ACT score. He's just the more talented prospect and this year would be excellent experience for him.

HawgAdvocate

I'll be surprised if Dixson doesn't commit to Arkansas.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 20, 2015, 02:32:47 pm
This time last year, we all thought Jabril Durham was the answer to our PG woes. Outlaw could be the next Sonny Weems but he could also be the next Jemal Farmer. And we only get him for two years, so he's gotta pay off immediately.

Very True.  One difference though Outlaw's offer list is a lot better than Durham's was.  We were the best offer on his list.  While Outlaw doesn't have reported offers yet, Oregon, West Virginia, Kansas, are all going to visit him this week plus others. And you could be right about Outlaw, I'm just assuming by the schools that's after him and what I read on him, he's much more fit to come in and contribute immediately.  Frazier, I see a guy that will probably make the rotation his first year, then be a pretty good player in the future.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on April 20, 2015, 02:52:51 pm
Very True.  One difference though Outlaw's offer list is a lot better than Durham's was.  We were the best offer on his list.  While Outlaw doesn't have reported offers yet, Oregon, West Virginia, Kansas, are all going to visit him this week plus others. And you could be right about Outlaw, I'm just assuming by the schools that's after him and what I read on him, he's much more fit to come in and contribute immediately.  Frazier, I see a guy that will probably make the rotation his first year, then be a pretty good player in the future.

I agree. I think he's a higher-end JUCO than Durham. I think he's a top guy like Coty Clarke. And, really, I'm starting to condition myself to not even think about Frazier. I don't think he's gonna get the ACT score. Like I said, we'll be checking back with him in a couple years, most likely. Just hope he's ready to go if we sign him. The minutes will be there.

-Blu

Just seen a tweet By Adam Zag that the staff is visiting Dixson on Wednesday.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: -Blu on April 20, 2015, 11:56:50 am

Dixon looks like a JaCorey Williams type of player, you watch JaCorey's highlight tapes compared to Dixon's and they are very similar.  I'm not sure he would make the 10 man rotation next year.  From his videos he looks limited in what he can do. 

I see similarities, DD's shot looks better and to tell the truth, if JW was hitting at a 50%+ clip and 70% on FT's he would be looking and contributing a lot more and playing more, we might be even bragging on him.

poloprince

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 20, 2015, 02:36:42 pm

Where you been?  Can he shoot?
$PoLoPrInCe$

klp1

Quote from: poloprince on April 20, 2015, 06:15:30 pm
Where you been?  Can he shoot?

Is there any current video of Dixson?  All the vid's I have seen were from 2013.  Does he have the test score?

orgkeith

Dixson and Outlaw are really good students.  Like 3.6-3.7 GPA's have been mentioned in articles on them.

lumphog

lumphog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 20, 2015, 02:36:42 pm
You nailed it HA, I agree, he's next

Scott7703

I won't be shocked if be chooses miss st.

Hawg Red

QuoteCorey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 14 minutes ago Pittsburgh, PA

2015 Mingo Central (WV) wing/forward Dikembe Dixson will take an official visit to Arkansas on 5/8 @ny2lasports

Headed that way, fellas. Lot of interests on both sides.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 23, 2015, 03:14:59 pm

I'm predicting a Dixson, King, Outlaw class to close out the Spring.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 23, 2015, 03:14:59 pm

There should be of course.  We are his best offer in terms of program stature and possibility to have some team success and he will play immediately.  We have a need for a player like him because we don't currently have one and many of our opponents will. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Richard_white

Quote from: -Blu on April 23, 2015, 03:31:37 pm

A really a good class if it ends like that.  Even though King will sit out a year.

Hawg Red

Best we can realistically hope for, most likely.

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 23, 2015, 03:33:54 pm
There should be of course.  We are his best offer in terms of program stature and possibility to have some team success and he will play immediately.  We have a need for a player like him because we don't currently have one and many of our opponents will.

Not sure about the play immediately.  He should compete for minutes at the back-up 4 spot, but I wouldn't say it's a given he gets minutes his first year. And we actually have 2 players like him at the moment in Miles and Williams.  Both play that combo 3/4 forward spot like Dixson.  I actually think him and Williams are very similar.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on April 23, 2015, 03:39:22 pm
Not sure about the play immediately.  He should compete for minutes at the back-up 4 spot, but I wouldn't say it's a given he gets minutes his first year. And we actually have 2 players like him at the moment in Miles and Williams.  Both play that combo 3/4 forward spot like Dixson.  I actually think him and Williams are very similar.

Then why the hell are we spending a scholarship on another Williams?  6-7 190 and we are going to put him at a 4?  A 3rd string Miles or Williams? 

If we aren't getting help to defend wings and SF's at the least this next season, then why are we spending the scholarship?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 23, 2015, 03:38:54 pm
Best we can realistically hope for, most likely.

Yea, I think it's the most realistic scenario at this point.  All 3 of those guys have high interest in the hogs, especially Dixson, I'd be surprised if he didn't commit on his visit, and surprised if King didn't commit on or shortly after his visit.  I'm curious to find out if Outlaw has an offer and if he'll take a visit, if we hear about a visit from him, he's mostly likely ours as well.  Listened to an interview on 99.5, they had 1 interview with his coach and 1 interview with him, and he's really interested in us, and sounds like he'd be a perfect fit.

And that would be a very solid class. 2 top 100 guys, 1 4-star JUCO, 1 former top 50 player, and a system guy.  That's not bad at all, I won't complain about that.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Richard_white on April 23, 2015, 03:35:12 pm
A really a good class if it ends like that.  Even though King will sit out a year.

That's alright. Getting a former 4-star Top 50 player is always a plus. As long as we get two that can play next year.

HOGINTENNESSEE

That would be a nice finish. I think King and Dixson are ours if we want them. I have not clue on Outlaw but I believe he is the best of the 3

The_Iceman

Are you guys basing that Dixson is a 4 based on some video for before his junior season? I'm not sure any of us know how good he is or what position he will be able to play. A lot can change in that time.

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 23, 2015, 03:42:47 pm
Then why the hell are we spending a scholarship on another Williams?  6-7 190 and we are going to put him at a 4?  A 3rd string Miles or Williams? 

If we aren't getting help to defend wings and SF's at the least this next season, then why are we spending the scholarship?

Because CMA likes combo forwards ie... Clarke, Harris, Miles, Williams.  Guys are big enough to guard 4 & 5's but quick enough to be on the front end of the press and switch on guards if needed, and they can also help run the fast break with their ball handling.  Worked out pretty well for us in Clarke and Harris, both were major contributors for us.  Williams will be one of our key guys next year we'll see how he does, he had flashes at the beginning of last season.

And I wouldn't be upset with the last scholarship going to a guy that fits the system.  Now if Dixson is the only guy we bring in then, yea I'm with you on that.  But, I bet we get an impact JUCO like Outlaw, plus we got Kapita and Whitt.

-Blu

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 23, 2015, 03:50:01 pm
That would be a nice finish. I think King and Dixson are ours if we want them. I have not clue on Outlaw but I believe he is the best of the 3

Here's an interview from King a couple days ago.
http://hogsportsradio.com/2015/04/22/the-hog-call-nick-king/

Interview from Outlaw's Coach a few days ago.
http://hogsportsradio.com/2015/04/20/the-hog-call-44/

Interview from Outlaw a few days ago.
http://hogsportsradio.com/2015/04/21/the-hog-call-podcast-bentonville-high-school-2/

Really like what I heard from Outlaw's coach, sounds like he's exactly what we are looking for.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on April 23, 2015, 03:53:33 pm
Because CMA likes combo forwards ie... Clarke, Harris, Miles, Williams.  Guys are big enough to guard 4 & 5's but quick enough to be on the front end of the press and switch on guards if needed, and they can also help run the fast break with their ball handling.  Worked out pretty well for us in Clarke and Harris, both were major contributors for us.  Williams will be one of our key guys next year we'll see how he does, he had flashes at the beginning of last season.

And I wouldn't be upset with the last scholarship going to a guy that fits the system.  Now if Dixson is the only guy we bring in then, yea I'm with you on that.  But, I bet we get an impact JUCO like Outlaw, plus we got Kapita and Whitt.

I'm aware of what he likes in versatile forwards.  But IMO, the thought needs to be the other direction in terms of defending.  Otherwise, we'll have players like Watkins playing extended minutes trying to defend wings and big guards which will result in at least playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end depending on who else is on the court.  When you suggest he defends "up" to 4's and 5's when we have Kingsley, Thompson and Kapita seems like the wrong direction. 

Hawg Red

I don't think there's anything wrong with a JaCorey Williams-type player. The only real problem with JW is that he can't shoot that well. He has a knack for knocking down that turn-and-raise elbow jumper, but his form is awful and is thus unreliable. He can be a little hot-headed and some smaller things like that, but I wouldn't be too concerned with that. You need a guy out there who runs hot.

JaCorey showed us last year that he's accepted he isn't a shooter. Took no 3s this past season after taking 22 in the first two seasons. I have no clue what kind of shooter Dixson is. Hard to imagine him being as bad of a shooter as JaCorey, though.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: -Blu on April 23, 2015, 03:58:44 pm
Here's an interview from King a couple days ago.
http://hogsportsradio.com/2015/04/22/the-hog-call-nick-king/

Interview from Outlaw's Coach a few days ago.
http://hogsportsradio.com/2015/04/20/the-hog-call-44/

Interview from Outlaw a few days ago.
http://hogsportsradio.com/2015/04/21/the-hog-call-podcast-bentonville-high-school-2/

Really like what I heard from Outlaw's coach, sounds like he's exactly what we are looking for.

+1

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 23, 2015, 04:08:42 pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with a JaCorey Williams-type player. The only real problem with JW is that he can't shoot that well. He has a knack for knocking down that turn-and-raise elbow jumper, but his form is awful and is thus unreliable. He can be a little hot-headed and some smaller things like that, but I wouldn't be too concerned with that. You need a guy out there who runs hot.

JaCorey showed us last year that he's accepted he isn't a shooter. Took no 3s this past season after taking 22 in the first two seasons. I have no clue what kind of shooter Dixson is. Hard to imagine him being as bad of a shooter as JaCorey, though.

Jacorey is good at finding the soft spot in a zone at the elbow and can hit that shot.  He has been a sometimes useful limited role player.

Hawg Red

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 23, 2015, 04:08:42 pm

You are right. Defensively and size wise, I think Jacorey is fine for a PF off the bench. If he was just a little more consistent shooting the ball, especially FTs, he would be just fine.

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 23, 2015, 04:00:53 pm
I'm aware of what he likes in versatile forwards.  But IMO, the thought needs to be the other direction in terms of defending.  Otherwise, we'll have players like Watkins playing extended minutes trying to defend wings and big guards which will result in at least playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end depending on who else is on the court.  When you suggest he defends "up" to 4's and 5's when we have Kingsley, Thompson and Kapita seems like the wrong direction.

I'm not the coach I'm just telling you what he does and has done in the past, whether it's right or wrong depends on the win column which he got 27 of them last year.  I doubt Kapita and Kingsley play much at the same time, If I had to make a guess, it would be similar to how we used Kingsley and Portis, except Kingsley isn't going to demand as many minutes.

The 4/5 rotation next year if we had Dixson will probably look like this...

5- Kingsley/Kapita/Thompson
4- Williams/Miles/Dixson

And unless we get Outlaw or a similar guy, we'll be looking at more of a 3 guard lineup, rather than a SF like Qualls was for us.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 23, 2015, 04:11:42 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/apr/23/forward-sets-date-arkansas-official-visit/

RD says Dixson played SF/SG this season.

HS coach really talked him up.

"He can guard anyone from the two to the four position."

This would possibly be immediate help in some situations. 

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 23, 2015, 04:11:42 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/apr/23/forward-sets-date-arkansas-official-visit/

RD says Dixson played SF/SG this season.

HS coach really talked him up.

I admit when I first heard about us on Dixson, I wasn't that excited about him.  But, more I've seen and read on him, I think he'd be a nice get.  I still don't think he makes the rotation next year, unless he beats out Miles, which may not be a stretch.  But, can't deny he has potential and could end up being a good player before it's all said and done.