Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A win is a win

Started by Deep Shoat, September 05, 2016, 07:20:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

1-0 baby.

Louisiana Tech is a good football team.  Their freshman QB is a good QB.  Fans and media tend to focus on the QB when predicting outcomes while ignoring the senior leadership on defense.  La Tech had experience all over the field.   They've won bowl games the last two years.  Skip Holtz is a good coach who had an entire off-season to prepare for a showcase game he was expected to lose.

Saturday's game reminds me of two Tulsa games from the late 60's/early 70's.  We won one 21-20 and lost one 21-20.  After dominating the 60's, Frank Broyles took all kinds of heat in the stands over those.  If Hogville had been around it would have been vicious.  He hated playing Tulsa because they had talent at the skill positions (e.g. - Drew Pearson, Steve Largent) and had all year to prepare for the Hogs.

La Tech has second choice behind LSU for Louisiana athletes.  They are a good football team.  I expect to beat TCU this weekend. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Oklahawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 06, 2016, 11:03:41 am
1-0 baby.

Louisiana Tech is a good football team.  Their freshman QB is a good QB.  Fans and media tend to focus on the QB when predicting outcomes while ignoring the senior leadership on defense.  La Tech had experience all over the field.   They've won bowl games the last two years.  Skip Holtz is a good coach who had an entire off-season to prepare for a showcase game he was expected to lose.

Saturday's game reminds me of two Tulsa games from the late 60's/early 70's.  We won one 21-20 and lost one 21-20.  After dominating the 60's, Frank Broyles took all kinds of heat in the stands over those.  If Hogville had been around it would have been vicious.  He hated playing Tulsa because they had talent at the skill positions (e.g. - Drew Pearson, Steve Largent) and had all year to prepare for the Hogs.

La Tech has second choice behind LSU for Louisiana athletes.  They are a good football team.  I expect to beat TCU this weekend. 

I don't know that we'll fix enough to beat TCU but you make a great point about Tulsa. Those fans drove over in large quantities hoping for a win. We were their bowl game, first game out of the chute (back in the day when TU might go 9-2 but miss out on a bowl). We cannot dismiss having a bunch of talent on a team who can "make" their entire season by beating you.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 06, 2016, 11:07:09 am
I don't know that we'll fix enough to beat TCU but you make a great point about Tulsa. Those fans drove over in large quantities hoping for a win. We were their bowl game, first game out of the chute (back in the day when TU might go 9-2 but miss out on a bowl). We cannot dismiss having a bunch of talent on a team who can "make" their entire season by beating you.

We didn't leave a lot on the field Saturday and beat a good team in a dress rehearsal for TCU.  We also proved we have learned how to win a close one. 

Expecting to win is a mindset that once was a habit in Fayetteville.  It's the kind of mindset that allows you to win 22 straight over a conference rival.  We have won 7 of 8 in a stretch that includes wins over Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, Missouri, Kansas State, and La Tech.

I don't think we need to improve this week as much as we need to show up and hit TCU in the mouth.     
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Potosihog

Quote from: Sportster365 on September 06, 2016, 10:20:39 am
Every program has to deal with attrition. And I think CBB has lost more players and coaches than Petrino had here at Arkansas. So if you're tying to base a coaches success or lack thereof on team continuity then you're making an awful bad comparison.

Sorry I'm not aware of multiple players quiting the team soon after they arrived on campus (I.e. Funderburk and Gosha to name a couple.  When players were telling recruits "if you want to have fun don't come here" it says a lot about the atmosphere.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 06, 2016, 11:32:25 am
we need to show up and hit TCU in the mouth.     

thats what it comes down to.  we have some things that are fixable, but ultimately it will come down to whether we can impose our will.

if we let it turn into a shoot out, we probably aren't going to win, but if we can get some stops and hog the clock, TCU will be out of their element.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Nipsey Mussle

I'm still amazed people are arguing whether BP deserved no reproach after wins when he 100% was questioned on here after wins lol. Remember the Vandy game when Franklin returned the fumble the length of the field? BP was questioned relentlessly on here after that game, and many others that season. But hey, please carry on with the debate.