Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Mike turn a corner last night?

Started by SemperHawg, February 07, 2018, 08:17:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jabber71

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 07, 2018, 09:26:33 am
Last night was the first time I watched them play an entire game.  They are a really unskilled team.  Poor shooters, poor ball handlers, poor passers.  Their best player can't shoot and is hardly a dominant force inside, either.  In fact, their team FG% is less than 40%.

I keep hearing all the talk about how good and how deep the SEC is this year.  It's not good and the only reason it is "deep" is that there are so many poor to mediocre teams that can beat each other.  The skill level is so rudimentary that it's almost painful to watch the games.  Mike is actually blessed to have the best group of shooters in the SEC but he has somehow managed to parlay that into a sub-.500 conference record.

Then how bad is the Big 12?
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/1/27/16940108/acc-big-ten-challenge-2018-schedule-scores-dates
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

hogsanity

Quote from: jabber71 on February 07, 2018, 01:38:37 pm
Then how bad is the Big 12?
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/1/27/16940108/acc-big-ten-challenge-2018-schedule-scores-dates

Right cause 10 games on one day in the middle of the season is supposed to prove how good a league is or is not. The home team won 8 out of 10 games. WVU collapsed at home, and a undermanned OSu had a shot ( 2 actually ) at the rim at the end to win on the road. That series could have easily been 6-4 the other way.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GoHogs1091

South Carolina is probably the 2nd worst team in the SEC, with Georgia being the worst.

I wouldn't call winning at home against the 2nd worst team in the SEC a "turning a corner."

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 07, 2018, 01:52:23 pm
South Carolina is probably the 2nd worst team in the SEC, with Georgia being the worst.

I wouldn't call winning at home against the 2nd worst team in the SEC a "turning a corner."

Vandy is worse than either of them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dsims2k3

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 01:49:35 pm
Right cause 10 games on one day in the middle of the season is supposed to prove how good a league is or is not. The home team won 8 out of 10 games. WVU collapsed at home, and a undermanned OSu had a shot ( 2 actually ) at the rim at the end to win on the road. That series could have easily been 6-4 the other way.

So you DO understand how hard it is to win on the road.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

OkieBack

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 07, 2018, 01:52:23 pm

No, but it could be considered a major confidence boost for those players coming off the bench.  I took the win positively but definitely with reserve.  Let's see what we can do the next two weeks. 

hogsanity

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 01:57:19 pm
So you DO understand how hard it is to win on the road.

Never said it wasn't.

jabber71

February 07, 2018, 02:42:11 pm #57 Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:39:45 pm by jabber71
Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 01:49:35 pm

Mediocre teams beat mediocre teams, not good teams. Good teams beat mediocre teams at home and on the road right?
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

rljjr

The difference last night was USC making three pointers. They had plenty of wide open attempts. They just missed.

The Hogs played better, for sure, but it is year 7 and we do this same thing every season.

BannerMountainMan

South Carolina must suck beating Kentucky at home and Florida on the road.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

jabber71

Quote from: rljjr on February 07, 2018, 02:43:03 pm
The difference last night was USC making three pointers. They had plenty of wide open attempts. They just missed.

The Hogs played better, for sure, but it is year 7 and we do this same thing every season.

I agree every year we put it together and play our best ball in Feb & March ;)

HogBreath

Quote from: riccoar on February 07, 2018, 12:04:19 pm
South Carolina ain't the school you gauge "turning the corner" against.  Those games are coming, so we will see.
Exactly, the Gamethingeys were so lackluster and bad that Frank Martin didn't even blow any gaskets during the contest, he just sat there looking  like he'd rather be somewhere else.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Mjs84

It was a home game.  So what you will about Anderson on the road, but his home teams continue to play lights out!

HeyHogs

No he did not.  This team will struggle to win 4 more games.

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

EastexHawg

As far as I am concerned it is stunning to watch teams like South Carolina and Georgia whose "stars", Silva and Maten, are such terrible shooters of the basketball.  Their entire teams are awful offensively, really.  These guys will be in the conversation for All-SEC, maybe even Player of the Year, and they are almost entirely unskilled offensively.

And...it's not like they are Shaq and Blake Griffin on the glass.  They're career 7 rebound per game guys.

How can anyone see this kind of crap and think he is watching good quality basketball?

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 07, 2018, 08:27:16 pm

How can anyone see this kind of crap and think he is watching good quality basketball?

All I see in HS ball is guys dribbling and either bulling their way to the rim or jacking a 3. There is no mid range game anymore.

SemperHawg

Quote from: HogBreath on February 07, 2018, 05:59:48 pm
Exactly, the Gamethingeys were so lackluster and bad that Frank Martin didn't even blow any gaskets during the contest, he just sat there looking  like he'd rather be somewhere else.
That's my bad, I should have better articulated what I meant by Mike turning a corner... I would never try to gauge our overall team quality based on one game against a less talented opponent.  The corner I am asking about being turned is did he finally decide to move away from one of his core philosophies to give the team a better shot at winning.

The turning the corner question centers more around did he do it as a change of philosophy all together?  Or as some have pointed out (fairly might I add) was he forced to change just to save his bacon and as soon as the pressure lets up we will be back to same old ineffective defense?

Cotton

Quote from: Mjs84 on February 07, 2018, 06:19:40 pm
It was a home game.  So what you will about Anderson on the road, but his home teams continue to play lights out!
LSU says Hi.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 08, 2018, 07:43:26 am

The turning the corner question centers more around did he do it as a change of philosophy all together?  Or as some have pointed out (fairly might I add) was he forced to change just to save his bacon and as soon as the pressure lets up we will be back to same old ineffective defense?

History would say it was forced and is not permanent. Last year he did it at halftime of the game at LSU. Went zone, cut down on subbing. Also hit a soft spot in the schedule that helped alot.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 07, 2018, 09:48:20 am
That South Carolina team was good enough to beat the Florida Gators on their home court a few weeks ago.
Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 07, 2018, 05:17:01 pm

Talking points.

Quote from: USChog on February 07, 2018, 01:37:45 pm
If we win it is because the other team sucks. If we lose it is because MA sucks.

Seriously though, SC isn't great, but we took care of them how we should have. I liked the adjustments and I like seeing these high energy athletic young players getting on the court. They bring what we need of the bench and as long as Gabe and Hall keep getting minutes I think Arkansas will continue to trend in the right direction at the end of the season.

You contradicted yourself in your second sentence. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 08, 2018, 07:43:26 am
That's my bad, I should have better articulated what I meant by Mike turning a corner... I would never try to gauge our overall team quality based on one game against a less talented opponent.  The corner I am asking about being turned is did he finally decide to move away from one of his core philosophies to give the team a better shot at winning.

I like the quote you use in your signature. I do not remember saying that but it is accurate.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

SemperHawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 08, 2018, 08:48:17 am
I like the quote you use in your signature. I do not remember saying that but it is accurate.
I honestly don't either, but is stuck me a funny when you said it, and seems to be an accurate description of your opinion of yourself so I've let it ride.

oldbooniehog

Year 7, and folks are asking if he "turned a corner" yet.

Year 7.

Did he turn a corner?

How long does it take?

Jim Harris

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 07, 2018, 05:17:01 pm

Yeah, those results are the shockers of the season, based on watching SC on Tuesday night.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

upperdeck_hawg

I thought he turned the corner when we lost to eventual champs by 5. Then this season brought it back to earth
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

oldbooniehog

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 08, 2018, 08:08:09 pm
I thought he turned the corner when we lost to eventual champs by 5. Then this season brought it back to earth

Seeing a "corner turned" in a close loss is the Most Arkansas Thing Ever!

johnfanman

No corner turned, yet. We played a bad team at home, granted it was a good effort on the Hogs part. The team has the talent and leadership, it just has to gel. The team can turn the corner and boy would it be great to see them in last post season form (almost knocking off NC) with the addition of Gafford down low. Still got time.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 08, 2018, 08:11:14 pm
Seeing a "corner turned" in a close loss is the Most Arkansas Thing Ever!

I get the moral victory thing but this was more than that. We showed we could hang with the best. Recruits were talking about it.  Fans were thinking Mike finally has his system and his players. Then it's the same o same o.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

hogsanity

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 08, 2018, 11:12:10 pm
I get the moral victory thing but this was more than that. We showed we could hang with the best. Recruits were talking about it.  Fans were thinking Mike finally has his system and his players. Then it's the same o same o.

That"s because people tend to focus too much on one game and not the big picture. I mean teams have actually gone into NC and beaten the heels and gone on to have mediocre seasons.  Wofford went in and beat them there this year, WOFFORD, yet Wofford is 17-8 and likely not going anywhere near the NCAAT.

hogwildjoshua

Lol if you call "turning a corner" beating bad, horrible teams, then sure. 

For the realistic people like me, no Mike did not turn a corner and he is still as mediocre as ever.

Some of you kool-aid drinkers seem to forget that USCe had many wide open 3s that they just missed because they are terrible.  When Auburn rolls in that won't be the case...

USChog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 08:31:57 am
Talking points.

You contradicted yourself in your second sentence.

Lol I didn't contradict myself. My first statement was sarcasm. I think in the mid season Mike was riding the seniors (especially in the 4 spot) expecting them to start performing like he knew they could. I think he has finally given up on a couple of them and are ready to start giving the ypung guys some PT. I am A MA supporter, but I also think he can be stubborn to a fault at times.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: USChog on February 07, 2018, 01:37:45 pm
If we win it is because the other team sucks. If we lose it is because MA sucks.

Seriously though, SC isn't great, but we took care of them how we should have. I liked the adjustments and I like seeing these high energy athletic young players getting on the court. They bring what we need of the bench and as long as Gabe and Hall keep getting minutes I think Arkansas will continue to trend in the right direction at the end of the season.

Mike gets too much credit after a win and too much blame after a loss so I think he should  be judged after the season and not after each game so lets wait until then.   Also after the season lets grade him based on his career here.  then each of us will have to decide if Mike is doing a good job.