Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The fishes are tearing these up right now,,

Started by 1highhog, March 01, 2012, 01:57:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1highhog

March 01, 2012, 01:57:11 pm Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:59:41 pm by 1highhog
My Dad turned me on to the Nugget back when I was about 14 years old.  So, to give my age away, that's some 34 years ago.  I grew up on the Saline River, just a stones throw from it, and we seemed to fish it every weekend and camp there most of the summer weeks.  We float fished it so many times and back in the early 70's, the Saline was as pretty and clear as any river in the state.

The bait I mentioned, the Hildebrandt Gold Nugget, is a twin spinner that has a single hook on it with a multitude of skirt combo's.  We even used to fish without the skirts and used a minnow hooked or a worm and fished it that way.  The one's we found that were the best for the Saline was the Chartreuse/Black Gold Nugget Combo.  The one I've been having great luck on right now is the Crawdad Skirt Gold Nugget Combo.  I like to fish rivers mostly, but they work in lakes as well, I'm just not a lake fisherman.  I'm providing a picture of the two baits mentioned.

Virgil

Where cam these be purchased?  I've never seen them. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

1highhog

Quote from: Virgil on March 01, 2012, 04:29:17 pm
Where cam these be purchased?  I've never seen them. 

Years ago they were available in Walmart Virgil, but after searching every bait store around plus some aroound Monroe and Shreveport, I started looking on the internet.  I first tried Ebay where some guy was selling a couple as antiques for $16.00 each, I kept looking and came across this site finally, I ordered 8 of them, gave a couple to my Dad, 2 each to my two brothers, and we fished with them this past weekend, water was a little higher than I like with a-lot of fresh water, but we still caught an ice chest full.  This company by the way was very fast with their shipping, no problems at all.

http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=2507

Virgil

Quote from: 1highhog on March 01, 2012, 05:16:35 pm
Years ago they were available in Walmart Virgil, but after searching every bait store around plus some aroound Monroe and Shreveport, I started looking on the internet.  I first tried Ebay where some guy was selling a couple as antiques for $16.00 each, I kept looking and came across this site finally, I ordered 8 of them, gave a couple to my Dad, 2 each to my two brothers, and we fished with them this past weekend, water was a little higher than I like with a-lot of fresh water, but we still caught an ice chest full.  This company by the way was very fast with their shipping, no problems at all.

http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=2507

Thanks I'm going order some and give them a try.  I'll let you know how I do.
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

crispy crittr

I have the chartreuse & black one that's been in my tackle box for over 30 years. Way back then I would put different color spinner bait skirts on it and trim them down.

It's one of those (antique) baits I want to use, but won't for fear of losing it. I am going to get a couple and use it while fishing with my son "at the pond" before giving him one. Maybe I will be able to out fish him for once.

Hawgon

The H&H Spinner is pretty deadly in rivers and creeks.

1highhog

Quote from: Virgil on March 02, 2012, 02:47:56 pm
Thanks I'm going order some and give them a try.  I'll let you know how I do.

Let me know how you do Virgil, and your welcome.

1highhog

Quote from: crispy crittr on March 02, 2012, 03:06:02 pm
I have the chartreuse & black one that's been in my tackle box for over 30 years. Way back then I would put different color spinner bait skirts on it and trim them down.

It's one of those (antique) baits I want to use, but won't for fear of losing it. I am going to get a couple and use it while fishing with my son "at the pond" before giving him one. Maybe I will be able to out fish him for once.

crispy crittr, I was the same way, I had the one left in my box and I would use it only in times when I was assured I could get it back.  Until I found this site, it was an antique, now I have restocked my inventory and will probably purchase another 5 or 6 before to long.  Like Hawgon said, they are deadly in rivers and creeks.

adave

Thanks, those look effective. I'm gonna find some.

1highhog

mellonhead

The H&H is the best spinner bait ever created. I've used them since the 60's and caught everything from Grinnel to Catfish.

1highhog

Quote from: mellonhead on March 03, 2012, 12:55:20 pm
The H&H is the best spinner bait ever created. I've used them since the 60's and caught everything from Grinnel to Catfish.

I've often wondered why they are so hard to find these days.  Have any of y'all come across them in any of the bait shops you go to?  I would about swear I've looked everywhere for them, until finally coming across this site here that I linked.

dagnamit

Quote from: 1highhog on March 03, 2012, 06:10:16 pm
I've often wondered why they are so hard to find these days.  Have any of y'all come across them in any of the bait shops you go to?  I would about swear I've looked everywhere for them, until finally coming across this site here that I linked.
bass pro

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hawgon

Quote from: 1highhog on March 03, 2012, 06:10:16 pm

Academy

crispy crittr

Quote from: Hawgon on March 02, 2012, 03:43:49 pm
The H&H Spinner is pretty deadly in rivers and creeks.
Wasn't the H&H spinner bait the one you could buy for for less than half of other spinner baits? And, you had to put the hook on yourself that was in the package?
I'm going to have to go look in that old tackle box and see if there are any H&H spinner baits in it along with the Nugget. There may even be even be some other old lures from the early 70s in it.

1highhog

Quote from: HoggyCat on March 04, 2012, 09:50:29 am
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Hildebrandt+Gold+Nugget&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Yep, I tried the Ebay thing when I first started looking.  At that time there was one guy that had them on there and he was selling one as an antique, $16 plus shipping, I figured I could do better than that and I did with the site I linked on here.

1highhog

Quote from: Hawgon on March 05, 2012, 09:54:06 am
Academy

Academy Sports in NLR or West Little Rock does not have them.  I've looked once a week for I don't know how long and have even asked the managers of both stores to please see about getting them in, plus the sporting good managers.

1highhog

My dad used to love making baits.  He bet some of his buddies one time he was going to make one out of a clothes pin.  He painted that clothes pin up really nice in a black/red patternput eye hooks with treble hooks on each tail/clip, and then up about where the metal spring is he put a (I forget what you call it now, but it was a 2" steel wire with a treble hook on each end, so all together, 4 treble hooks, with the eyes for the fish bait painted on each side of the opening jaws of the pin.  It had a metal eye to tie your lie to the top and it was all set up.  I don't know if you can still buy alka seltzer this way or not, but he used to carry it in a glass tube like bottle in his box, contained probably 10-15 of them in there.  Dad loved to use that bait when the Bass were bedding, but he also had good success around lily pads as well.  I still have the old clothes pin bait of his, if a fish get's near it, it's caught because it damn near snags me every time I touch it.

crispy crittr

I worked in the JCPenny sporting goods department at the mall in Little Rock in the mid 70s (my college & frequent to go fishing days). A regular customer who was retired, actually would just come hang out to talk fishing in the mornings, had a son who lived in Shreveport. The son would go fishing with the owner of Smithwick lures.

While fishing one day with an unpainted balsa wood lure protype, they had a banner day. When the day was over the owner of Smithwick Lures said, "we both know this lure catches bass, now all I need to figure out is what color to paint it to catch the fishermen."

I always think of this story when looking for the color my son has told me to buy before we go fishing.

That's another thing. I put the passion (don't know enough to teach) for fishing into my son when he was growing up as we sat on the bank of the Little Red River trout fishing.

By trial & error he has learned to catch trout in any situation.
His best buddy, trial & error, & web forums have taught him to be a good bass fisherman, also. Now I get to go with him in his nice bass boat & learn how to bass fish. His payment, his insurance, his truck. Lunch is on me.

mellonhead

Trader Bills in Hot Springs stocks the H&H.

1highhog