Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I lost one also, a nice one

Started by 195bc, October 30, 2009, 10:16:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

195bc

Gut shot a big buck, 130- 140-class, yesterday morning. I'm disgusted.

Saw the deer Monday morning from a stand and watched him for 10 minutes. He came within 80 yards working a scrape line. I thought he would hold that pattern for another week or so, so I set up right on the line he took. I'm hunting a 20 yard tree line that connects a clear cut and grown up field, with open pasture on both sides of me and 60 acres of standing corn 150 yards away. Sure enough, right at first light, here he comes browsing his way up a field edge right to me.
He crossed where I walked across the field to get to my try and immediately put his nose to the ground and followed my scent trail to the base of my tree (yes, I wear rubber boots). He sniffed around for several minutes, sniffing my tree over and over. I actually drew back on him at 2 yds from the base of my tree but didn't like the angle and it was still hard to see my pins while he was under the trees. A few minutes later a young buck came from the opposite direction and took him mind off me. He walked out into the field and sniffed the little buck, but I had a branch in the way. Then he stepped into the clear at 20 yards and probably hit him a few inches too far back. I watched him run about 100 yards before going into the clearcut. I new it was gut shot when I picked up my arrow. I waited 3 hours then rain was approaching so I decided to take my dog out to see if we could find a blood trail, the dog isn't trained but he has a great nose and has helped track deer before. The dog got on a slight blood trail (dark blood, maybe a liver shot), but after 200 yards from where I hit him, the trail went cold. I've looked for 6-7 hours the past two days and still have some ground to cover tomorrow. It's discouraging, especially when everything happens like it should and you don't execute the shot.

deshahawg

You can always go look for where the buzzards are a few days later and at least get the horns.

Sweet Child O Swine

That aint no fun , Brotha!!  I wish you the best, but you are not gonna find that sucker.
Deer have strength and endurance unlike anything i've ever seen.
I literally watched a Buck from my stand running across a field with his guts hanging out and flopping back and forth, and I hunt on a Big patch of private property and no one on our land shot him.

IronHog

Quote from: 195bc on October 30, 2009, 10:16:41 pm
Gut shot a big buck, 130- 140-class, yesterday morning. I'm disgusted.

Saw the deer Monday morning from a stand and watched him for 10 minutes. He came within 80 yards working a scrape line. I thought he would hold that pattern for another week or so, so I set up right on the line he took. I'm hunting a 20 yard tree line that connects a clear cut and grown up field, with open pasture on both sides of me and 60 acres of standing corn 150 yards away. Sure enough, right at first light, here he comes browsing his way up a field edge right to me.
He crossed where I walked across the field to get to my try and immediately put his nose to the ground and followed my scent trail to the base of my tree (yes, I wear rubber boots). He sniffed around for several minutes, sniffing my tree over and over. I actually drew back on him at 2 yds from the base of my tree but didn't like the angle and it was still hard to see my pins while he was under the trees. A few minutes later a young buck came from the opposite direction and took him mind off me. He walked out into the field and sniffed the little buck, but I had a branch in the way. Then he stepped into the clear at 20 yards and probably hit him a few inches too far back. I watched him run about 100 yards before going into the clearcut. I new it was gut shot when I picked up my arrow. I waited 3 hours then rain was approaching so I decided to take my dog out to see if we could find a blood trail, the dog isn't trained but he has a great nose and has helped track deer before. The dog got on a slight blood trail (dark blood, maybe a liver shot), but after 200 yards from where I hit him, the trail went cold. I've looked for 6-7 hours the past two days and still have some ground to cover tomorrow. It's discouraging, especially when everything happens like it should and you don't execute the shot.

Too many variables in bow hunting to be successful every time.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

agr347

They are tough.  I shot one during rofle season several years back.  When I got to him, I found he had an arrow sticking out on the opposite side!  The meat was ruined, but he was at least put out of his misery.
"Just remember, its not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

IronHog

November 02, 2009, 08:01:21 pm #5 Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:35:49 pm by IronHog
Quote from: agr347 on November 02, 2009, 07:51:41 pm
They are tough.  I shot one during rofle season several years back.  When I got to him, I found he had an arrow sticking out on the opposite side!  The meat was ruined, but he was at least put out of his misery.

About 15 years ago I shot a deer and he went down in this tracks.  He started kicking around, trying to get up so I put another in the vitals to keep him down.   Waited about 10 minutes then walked out to get Dad and the truck because it was hot.

Came back and the deer was gone.  Kicked around in the brush beside where I left him and he busted out like nothing was wrong.  Took a third .270 Core Lokt to put him down for good.

Whitetail=the toughest and most fragile animal I've ever seen.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

TouchdownRazrbcks

My biggest fear!!!!I'm so new to hunting, I'm so afraid of doing this...Especially being so pumped up seeing one..

clutch

Quote from: TouchdownRazrbcks on November 03, 2009, 03:20:05 pm
My biggest fear!!!!I'm so new to hunting, I'm so afraid of doing this...Especially being so pumped up seeing one..

Can't let it bother you. It happens sometimes to even the best. Just got to stay calm and be sure to make a good shot. If you don't go out shooting at first sight of hair, pick your shots well, and stay calm enough to execute the shot properly then your chances of losing an animal are a lot slimmer. It will more than likely happen to you at some point, because deer are some of the toughest animals around, but more times than not if you do things properly you will have a clean kill.