Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ketogenic Diet

Started by ShooShooBlue, June 04, 2016, 09:56:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShooShooBlue

Has anyone tried a Ketogenic diet?
twatever!!!😂

TX HOG

It's basically high fat/protein, low carbs, right?

woodrow hog call

June 28, 2017, 01:45:53 pm #2 Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:44:04 pm by woodrow hog call
I am somewhat on that now, at least trying to eat that way as much as possible. Lost about 8 lbs so far, just by cutting the pop and candy bars, which was a big need for me. I know I m not to Ketosis yet and I haven't decided if would buy a test kit or not, but I probably will just out of curiosity.

I think it is going to be a great change of life style for me, you eat things that have a high fat content, but low carb/no carb, one result is that you don't have to go around hungry. Cheese, nuts, heavy cream, and certain meats, are all stuff you have to eat to get your body into ketosis,
where your body changes over to using fat for fuel instead of storing it, and using sugar/carbs for fuel.

At least that's how I kind of have it figured, my face has thinned down quick and people comment about me losing weight, so that makes you feel good, and not going around starving because all you could eat was a few greens is a big plus for me.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis

From the article;

Ketosis Explained
The "keto" in the word ketosis comes from the fact that it makes the body produce small fuel molecules called "ketones".1 This is an alternative fuel for the body, used when blood sugar (glucose) is in short supply.

Ketones are produced if you eat very few carbs (that are broken down into blood sugar) and only moderate amounts of protein (excess protein can be converted to blood sugar).

Ketones are produced in the liver, from fat. They are then consumed as fuel in the body, including by the brain. This is important as the brain is a hungry organ that consumes lots of energy every day,2 and it can't run on fat directly. It can only run on glucose... or ketones.

Maximizing fat burning

On a ketogenic diet your entire body switches its fuel supply to run almost entirely on fat. Insulin levels become very low and fat burning increases dramatically. It becomes easy to access your fat stores to burn them off. This is obviously great if you're trying to lose weight, and studies show that ketogenic diets lead to more weight loss.3 But there are also other less obvious benefits.

When the body produces ketones it's said to be in ketosis. The fastest way to get there is by fasting – not eating anything – but obviously it's not possible to fast forever.

A low-carb or "keto" diet, on the other hand, can be eaten indefinitely and also results in ketosis. It has many of the benefits of fasting – including weight loss – without having to fast.

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

TX HOG

I have a friend who did this. He loved it.  He was able to eat great tasty foods and drop weight. His son his diabetic so he was actually able to test himself. I'm going to read up on it but sounds very doable. Carbs are the hard part always. I'd like to lose 20-30lbs

TX HOG

Guess I'll try to follow this as best as I can

TX HOG

First day. Guess I'm doing this right, although my fitness app doesn't think so. LOL

hawgon

I do it, though I probably don't watch my macros enough and eat too much protein.  I combine it with a lot of intermittent fasting.  Nothing too drastic but on Mondays I usually go 24 hours without eating and 14 or so on most other days.  But it is easy on keto.  You don't get hungry.

I'm not even doing it to lose weight.  I'm pretty much done with that.  It is just the easiest way to feel good.  Your energy remains constant and you don't have nearly the inflammation and bloating.  Carbs really are the devil.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: hawgon on July 09, 2017, 06:17:58 pm
I do it, though I probably don't watch my macros enough and eat too much protein.  I combine it with a lot of intermittent fasting.  Nothing too drastic but on Mondays I usually go 24 hours without eating and 14 or so on most other days.  But it is easy on keto.  You don't get hungry.

I'm not even doing it to lose weight.  I'm pretty much done with that.  It is just the easiest way to feel good.  Your energy remains constant and you don't have nearly the inflammation and bloating.  Carbs really are the devil.

I do think I feel better too, I think this will be something I want to keep doing to some extent after I get to the 20 or so more lbs off.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hawgon

Quote from: woodrow hog call on July 10, 2017, 08:14:03 am
I do think I feel better too, I think this will be something I want to keep doing to some extent after I get to the 20 or so more lbs off.

If you want to know what carbs do to you, do keto for a month or so, and then eat a normal and not excessively large meal with French fries or something like that.  You will feel like a balloon.

And if you want to ruin your whole day, do keto for a few months and then eat one of those donuts your secretary brings in on Friday mornings.  You will feel like hammered dog crap with a terrible headache and low energy for the entire day.  Even a big keto meal won't fix it.  The sudden sugar rush from that donut will nearly put you under.

hawgrunner

I'm thinking about starting this...any updates?

twistitup

If it's called a diet...it's questionable and probably not sustainable. If you can make these eating choices a lifestyle - it may work long term. Diet implies doing it on a short term basis, if that is what you do you will gain the weigh back plus some.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgrunner

right, diet's don't work. it's a lifestyle change.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

In a year and a half of low carb eating, I've lost 40-45 lbs, my blood pressure is down to the point my Dr. is considering reducing or stopping the medication altogether, my total cholesterol was down 40 pts.  The food I consume is low/no carb and, at this point, I don't crave any sweets.  I don't worry about calories or fat.  I eat lots of meat.

I'm not sure what the difference is in a basic low carb diet and a keto diet.  They sound the same to me.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

hawgrunner

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 25, 2018, 06:06:23 am
In a year and a half of low carb eating, I've lost 40-45 lbs, my blood pressure is down to the point my Dr. is considering reducing or stopping the medication altogether, my total cholesterol was down 40 pts.  The food I consume is low/no carb and, at this point, I don't crave any sweets.  I don't worry about calories or fat.  I eat lots of meat.

I'm not sure what the difference is in a basic low carb diet and a keto diet.  They sound the same to me.

Yep, I think your right.