Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson extended two years to 2022

Started by phadedhawg, January 26, 2018, 05:27:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

phadedhawg

I didn't realize his contract only went thru 2020.  I guess that's the reason it needed to be extended. 

Scott Marshall

Following Thursday's approval by the Board of Trustees of compensation included in a two-year contract extension signed in November, the University of Arkansas announced that men's basketball head coach Mike Anderson has an employment agreement through March 2022.

Anderson signed the new agreement on November 22, 2017. Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz signed the agreement on November 30, 2017 and the signature approval process was completed when it was signed by UA System President Donald R. Bobbitt on December 1, 2017.  The first regularly scheduled Board of Trustee session following the contract signatures occurred this week and provided the opportunity to review and approve compensation and publicly announce.
Anderson is in his third contract with the university after being hired by the University of Arkansas in March 2011 and signing an extension in 2015 that extended him through the 2020 season.

Now in his seventh season at the helm of the Razorback program, Anderson owns two of the top-seven winningest seasons in program history during the last three years. He has guided Arkansas to the NCAA Tournament and won an opening-round game in two of the last three years, while also securing a spot in the SEC Tournament championship twice in three seasons.
"I am appreciative of this meaningful expression of support for the continued direction of the Razorback men's basketball program," said Anderson. "Our entire staff and our student-athletes are committed to competing and winning in the Southeastern Conference and nationally. We are also making a difference in helping mold young men and pointing them toward their college degree. We have made significant progress, but we still have work left to do. I'm confident, with the passionate support of the Razorback fans, we can reach our goals."

One of just four current Division I head coaches with 15-plus years of experience and no losing seasons, Anderson has Arkansas primed for another run in 2018, currently sitting at 14-6 overall with a top-25 RPI and top-20 strength of schedule. The Razorbacks have two top-20 wins at home and knocked off an Oklahoma team at the Phil Knight Invitational that is currently ranked No. 12 in the nation.

"We began discussions with Coach Anderson about an extension in April following the NCAA Tournament, including our tightly contested matchup with eventual national champion North Carolina," Jon Fagg, senior associate athletic director and basketball sport administrator said. "Razorback men's basketball is on the rise. Our team is among the best in the SEC this season and the upcoming recruiting classes are among the best in program history. We are excited about the future and partnering with Coach Anderson and his staff as we take our program to new heights."

Anderson has 21 SEC road wins during the last six-plus years, which is seven more road victories than Arkansas had in the previous 10 years before he took over the program. In 2016-17, the Razorbacks tied the program record with six SEC road wins, including 11 road/neutral wins for the first time in 22 seasons.

Anderson has re-established Bud Walton Arena as one of the toughest places to play and brought excitement back to the tradition-rich program. During his time as head coach, the Razorbacks are tied for the fourth-most home wins in the country, posting a record of 105-16 (.867) inside The Basketball Palace of Mid-America.
The outlook on Razorbacks basketball has never been brighter, as Anderson welcomed a top-25 recruiting class to Fayetteville for the 2017-18 season and has a top-20 class signed for next year according to ESPN.

Anderson remains among the top men's basketball coaches in the Southeastern Conference and nationally with an annual total compensation of $2.55 million. That total includes $2.35 million in compensation from the University and $200,000 under a personal services agreement for outside employment with the Razorback Foundation. Coach Anderson's compensation is paid with athletic department-generated revenues and private gift support, and will not include any taxpayer dollars, University support, or student fees.
The Razorback step out of conference play this weekend, welcoming Oklahoma State to town for the Big 12/SEC Challenge. Tip-off is set for 5 p.m. in a sold-out Bud Walton Arena.

Jason Carroll

Key number from the contract is his buyout remains at $1 million both ways between Anderson and the University. 

ricepig

Quote from: Jason Carroll on January 26, 2018, 05:41:38 pm
Key number from the contract is his buyout remains at $1 million both ways between Anderson and the University. 

The other is it's about a $100k/yr raise.

HawgsPolo

I'm sure they learned a valuable lesson about buyouts.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

WoooPigBrewie

The Board of Trustees never learns...

They just love giving out money.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

forrest city joe

I love it. well deserved extension and raise.i am liking the new A.D. more and more.the people in charge made a good decision.hope this extension will shut the fire Mike Anderson folks here on hogville up.this is great news.WPS------------------GO HOGS.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: HawgsPolo on January 26, 2018, 05:53:56 pm
I'm sure they learned a valuable lesson about buyouts.
But nothing about dumb mid-season extensions...

A lot of basketball left. We likely will make the tournament...

However, assume we don't...

You extended a guy with two tournaments in seven years for literally no reason other than to give him an extra $100,000...
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

arkansas1994

Cargill A. BullHog

I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

Cale

Why would we do that mid season? Also. Really?
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Cargill A. BullHog

Why didn't he get more than 2 years.  is he sick?

raz1965

I think the men in charge made a good business decision with this extension.  Recruits are so important to build a great program an Mike is now reeling some high profile guys in. Players win games, as we have seen recently with big performances from Macon an Barford, of course with others contributions from team members.

Inhogswetrust

I wonder when Bret's buyout is over? hmmmmm.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

forrest city joe

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on January 26, 2018, 05:54:40 pm

The BOT did a great job getting Mike's contract extended.i love this decision by the university of Arkansas.great move getting Mike Anderson locked up for more years.

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 06:07:51 pm
The BOT did a great job getting Mike's contract extended.i love this decision by the university of Arkansas.great move getting Mike Anderson locked up for more years.

Finally, a name I recognize.  Why only 2?  I'd be happy if he got a 10 year contract like some of the football coaches get

HawgsPolo

The view from the outside looking in is usually different. I get it.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on January 26, 2018, 05:57:14 pm
Why only 2?
Because he still has 2 on his contract.that means 3 or 4 more years.which means Mike will have been here for over a decade.TPTB did the right thing.and i love it.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: HawgsPolo on January 26, 2018, 06:09:19 pm
The view from the outside looking in is usually different. I get it.
Ya...

Same could be said when they approved the Bielema buyout after a riveting 7-6 year.

DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

forrest city joe

They learned. they learned that they have a very good coach who they want to keep.

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 06:10:15 pm
Because he still has 2 on his contract.that means 3 or 4 more years.which means Mike will have been here for over a decade.TPTB did the right thing.and i love it.

if 2 is what he needs, then im happy for 2.  It just seems like they would give him more.  I hope he stays, he seems like a really good defense coach

forrest city joe

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on January 26, 2018, 06:15:28 pm
if 2 is what he needs, then im happy for 2.  It just seems like they would give him more.  I hope he stays, he seems like a really good defense coach
How many coaches last a decade at one school.Mike has done a good job here digging the program out of the ditch.the program is in very good shape now.but you don't see many 10 year extensions.there are a few. but very few. i am just so happy got is getting another 2 year extension. the fire Anderson folks may as well give it up now.they can go away.

checkraiser88

Atlhogfan1

Always extend for recruiting purposes.  Dumb not to do so.  Just hurt yourself. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Shhhh
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 06:12:02 pm
They learned. they learned that they have a very good coach who they want to keep.
Absurd.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

BannerMountainMan

I like him but it's make or break time, would love to see him succeed because of the way he does it. WPS
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

ChicoHog

forrest city joe

Quote from: Cale on January 26, 2018, 05:58:49 pm
Why would we do that mid season? Also. Really?
Because we have a very good coach who is doing a good job.the people in charge made me so happy today.Mike would have been here for over a decade when the contract ends. and i love it.

forrest city joe

I am loving our new A.D. yurachek so far.love this decision by the people in charge at the university of Arkansas.

forrest city joe

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on January 26, 2018, 06:33:42 pm
Absurd.
I love it. now i hope you fire Anderson haters will shut up and support our players and coaches.Mike is going to be here for even more years,unless he leaves on his own.

Cargill A. BullHog

So, why would we be against Coach Anderson?  He's so much better than Mr. Pelphrey and Mr. Heath.  He's like having Nolan back on the bench again except without the boots.  Im happy he's the coach, he can take us forward to 1994! Go Hogs

Razorback_Mack

Dirty

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 06:10:15 pm

Me too, FCJ!

JayHog

Man... the MA haters gonna hate a meltdown over this one!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 06:58:04 pm
I love it. now i hope you fire Anderson haters will shut up and support our players and coaches.Mike is going to be here for even more years,unless he leaves on his own.
If he doesn't make the tournament, he should be fired.

Two tournaments in seven years is underachieving in this league.

DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

McKdaddy

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 06:50:33 pm
Because we have a very good coach who is doing a good job.the people in charge made me so happy today.Mike would have been here for over a decade when the contract ends. and i love it.

Nolan was a very good coach. Mike is a good to well-above-average coach. I want Mike to succeed, but the mediocrity has been below what I expected and hoped for this tenure. Let's get it done Mike!
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 05:55:21 pm
I love it. well deserved extension and raise.i am liking the new A.D. more and more.the people in charge made a good decision.hope this extension will shut the fire Mike Anderson folks here on hogville up.this is great news.WPS------------------GO HOGS.

The contract was started last Spring under Long and done in November before Yurachek was hired. 

USChog

uh oh, people on here are going to lose their minds. I think we should have waited to review after he end of the season, but I'm not in charge.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: USChog on January 26, 2018, 07:42:16 pm
uh oh, people on here are going to lose their minds. I think we should have waited to review after he end of the season, but I'm not in charge.

This was started after last season. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 26, 2018, 06:46:01 pm
I like him but it's make or break time, would love to see him succeed because of the way he does it. WPS

He's apparently made it, my friend. At least until about 2020.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 26, 2018, 07:23:04 pm
Nolan was a very good coach. Mike is a good to well-above-average coach. I want Mike to succeed, but the mediocrity has been below what I expected and hoped for this tenure. Let's get it done Mike!
Nolan was a Hall of Fame coach. That's better than very good.

Mike Irwin

Don't be confused by Bielema's huge buyout. Anderson's buyout is $ 1 million. Period. The same as with the old contract. You need a 5 year contract in place to recruit. That's all this is.

I've said before, regardless of how this season turns out it's unlikely that Yurachek would fire Anderson in the same academic year that the AD and head football coach were fired. But the school is not going to be held hostage by a huge buyout. It doesn't happen that way with most basketball coaches.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ParkerSchnabel

Ya'll gonna make me loose my mind up in here, up in here.

ricepig

hawgmasta

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2018, 07:48:41 pm
Nolan was a Hall of Fame coach. That's better than very good.

And I think that's part of the problem people don't realize. There may never be another Nolan, same with there will never be another Jordan, Richard Petty, Muhammad Ali etc. he was a once in a lifetime kind of guy.

Dirty

CFB_Fanatic

God bless. It's like they WANT to give our money away. Idiots.

Well, if nothing else comes from this at least FCJ got to shoot his rocks off tonight