Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about Morris offense...

Started by Hopeful Hog, January 04, 2018, 08:08:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopeful Hog

I can't find a simple answer of what I'm looking for so maybe you guys can help. I'm looking for a run pass ratio of Morris's time at SMU when the offense was 100% his to control. Anyone have an abridged answer? We talking 50/50 run pass or what?

Reason I'm asking is I believe Gus runs WAY to much and becomes predictable and I know Morris learned under Gus. I would prefer, if we're going to spread it out anyway, to pass about 60 to 65% percent of the time. I've always found it ridiculous to run basically a power run game out of the shotgun. I'm by no means some kind of expert, Morris has forgotten more about offense than I'll probably ever know, but it seems very counter-intuitive to spread the field with receivers and run the ball more than you pass. I know it's about getting the best matchups and putting more receivers on the field takes more defenders out of the box, and this is a personal preference thing, but come on most teams you face aren't going to be deep enough in the defensive back field to stop you, if you recruit and coach this way, if you go 4 or 5 wide.

Anyway I'd appreciate someone who knows that ratio, thanks.

secfan30

This is what I found as far as pass percentage. I did not factor sack plays into the percentage of Pass percent so this percent is obviously lower than the real Pass/Rush ratio.

2017: 50.05 % Pass 3823 yards

2016: 50.9% Pass 3168 yards

2015: 44.89% Pass 2620 yards

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: secfan30 on January 04, 2018, 08:27:24 am
This is what I found as far as pass percentage. I did not factor sack plays into the percentage of Pass percent so this percent is obviously lower than the real Pass/Rush ratio.

2017: 50.05 % Pass 3823 yards

2016: 50.9% Pass 3168 yards

2015: 44.89% Pass 2620 yards

Well since they don't believe in playing defense in that conference we can assume there were very few, if any, sacks so that percentage is probably pretty accurate. I'm just kidding, no one yell at me. So we're looking at around a 50/50 split then. That's a little lower than I would prefer but ok thanks for the quick info.

Pudgepork

If you take out the Petrino years, Arkansas has faced defenses willing to to gamble that hogs won't or can't throw. It seems like it's been 25 yrs of facing 9 men in the box.  That's the beauty of spreading 5 wide.  The d can't put 9 in the box.   Add in the confusion of playing fast and putting men in motion (hopefully not o-linemen) and rbs of high talent have much more area to gain yds before the defense closes.   How many yds does DMac, Felix, Alex make if they only have 5-7 guys within 10 yds of the handoff instead of 9?

clutch

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 04, 2018, 08:08:14 am

Reason I'm asking is I believe Gus runs WAY to much and becomes predictable and I know Morris learned under Gus. I would prefer, if we're going to spread it out anyway, to pass about 60 to 65% percent of the time. I've always found it ridiculous to run basically a power run game out of the shotgun. I'm by no means some kind of expert, Morris has forgotten more about offense than I'll probably ever know, but it seems very counter-intuitive to spread the field with receivers and run the ball more than you pass. I know it's about getting the best matchups and putting more receivers on the field takes more defenders out of the box, and this is a personal preference thing, but come on most teams you face aren't going to be deep enough in the defensive back field to stop you, if you recruit and coach this way, if you go 4 or 5 wide.

You run your play to wherever your numbers advantage is. Just because you have 4 or even 5 WR's, doesn't mean your numbers advantage is throwing the ball. If you are in a 2X2 set against a team running a 3-4 and you get a 2 high safety look where they are walking OLB's out on both sides, then you are looking at 3 defenders on 2 WR's on each side of the field and a 5 man box. If you have 5 blockers on 5 defenders, you run the ball all day long.

It's a chess game. With each coordinator countering the others moves. The DC brings on of the OLBs into the box and covers with a safety instead. You got 2 on 2 matchup to one side. This offense will try to lure the defenders in as tight as possible hoping to see an opportunity to beat them deep. Or maybe the OC notices that they are rolling the other safety over the top and sees an opportunity to hit a WR on the other side on a deep route.

Each staff has a different preference, but they most definitely have a defensive look that they prefer to see. They will run plays to try to force the defense to adjust to that look that they are looking for. Then they will strike.