Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steffon Martin to choose between Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Indiana (ASU lean)

Started by whosiskid, January 03, 2012, 02:19:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whosiskid

Just saw this on Scout.com:

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/1144926.html

Martin, who is one of the top juco middle linebackers, is deciding between these three schools. Of the three, if you are trying to read between the lines he sounded more pro-Arkansas, though there wasn't a lot of diff between us and A&M. The main thing with Indiana is that he is from Indianapolis. But he really sounds anxious to play in the SEC, and we are a lot closer to home than A&M, so it may be a question of deciding whether or not we are close enough to home for him.  He eliminated Ohio State. Haynes? I am guessing that that is why he is no longer interested in OSU.

Rivals gives him a high three stars (5.7 rating). He would be able to play early for us at a position where we need help.

He said he will sign on Feb. 1, so he will make up his mind about where before then. 

His measurables are 6'2, 235, 4.6.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Mortgage Hog

These last 2 months before signing day are going to be crazy!  I don't follow recruiting as much as some of you but follow it enough that I said who? to my self when I saw this guys name!  Like many have said our class will not look like what it looks like right now on signing day. We are on to many quality guys that keep just popping up! 

JackJohnson

Quote from: whosiskid on January 03, 2012, 02:19:23 pm
Just saw this on Scout.com:

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/1144926.html

Martin, who is one of the top juco middle linebackers, is deciding between these three schools. Of the three, if you are trying to read between the lines he sounded more pro-Arkansas, though there wasn't a lot of diff between us and A&M. The main thing with Indiana is that he is from Indianapolis. But he really sounds anxious to play in the SEC, and we are a lot closer to home than A&M, so it may be a question of deciding whether or not we are close enough to home for him.  He eliminated Ohio State. Haynes? I am guessing that that is why he is no longer interested in OSU.

Rivals gives him a high three stars (5.7 rating). He would be able to play early for us at a position where we need help.

He said he will sign on Feb. 1, so he will make up his mind about where before then. 

His measurables are 6'2, 235, 4.6.

pretty sure he is in a wait and see mode with us.  If we strike out with the likes of Santos, Hankins, Harper, Northrup, etc. you will see him come aboard.  If we get one or more of those, he will be going elsewhere

whosiskid

I don't think so.

Martin is much further along right now than any of the HS players, and Petrino has made no secret of the fact that he would like to compete for a NC next season. But we will only go as far as the defense will take us. I'd love to see, say, Hankins, come on board, but will he be better next year than Martin? I seriously doubt it. Martin would be able to instantly compete for a starting position. I think that is the logic behind going with a juco guy. I suspect we are going for Martin AND one of the high school guys.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

EastexHawg

When I think of JUCO middle LBs I'm always reminded of Jermaine Petty.  What a stud...as good as any Hog linebacker I've ever seen for a single season in 2001.

I wish we could hit another grand slam like we did with Petty.

DCimport

FWIW

Richard said this on Dec. 22 "Martin to Arkansas won't likely happen".

Haven't seen anything else on him from Richard since. 

JackJohnson

Quote from: DCimport on January 03, 2012, 02:46:00 pm
FWIW

Richard said this on Dec. 22 "Martin to Arkansas won't likely happen".

Haven't seen anything else on him from Richard since. 

I would say that RD is 100% correct on this...

Tim Harris

Quote from: whosiskid on January 03, 2012, 02:28:20 pm
I don't think so.

Martin is much further along right now than any of the HS players, and Petrino has made no secret of the fact that he would like to compete for a NC next season. But we will only go as far as the defense will take us. I'd love to see, say, Hankins, come on board, but will he be better next year than Martin? I seriously doubt it. Martin would be able to instantly compete for a starting position. I think that is the logic behind going with a juco guy. I suspect we are going for Martin AND one of the high school guys.

I agree but is Martin better than what we have on campus.  If he can beat out those guys then sure you take him but if not and you are just wanting to add depth then you take one of the kids out of HS.

old hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 03, 2012, 02:41:11 pm
When I think of JUCO middle LBs I'm always reminded of Jermaine Petty.  What a stud...as good as any Hog linebacker I've ever seen for a single season in 2001.

I wish we could hit another grand slam like we did with Petty.
If I'm not mistaken, Jermaine came to campus as a FB/DE, then got moved to MLB. A huge run stuffer. What ever happened to him?

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

wholehog92

I heard on an interview with Haynes today or yesterday that he likes to build around the MLB (good news in my mind).  I'm thinking this is him going out looking for groceries to help next season.  The HS guys we are looking for are approved by him, but not likely to help soon.  I hate that we are having to still look for juco talent to fill in gaps, but our redshirt program is just starting to kick into gear and we should begin to see returns this coming season.  I hope some of this juco buisiness goes away then and becomes the oddity rather than the rule.  Then again we are happy to have Gardner coming in at WR.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Qhog

We have some other guys in the wings, not sure if they're ready for primetime or not.  Turrell Williams, Jarrett Lake (know he's not travelling for Cotton Bowl), Braylon Mitchell, Robert Atiga, etc.

Hopefully, a few of these guys can step up also.  They should be further along with weight training, practices, etc. 

Farrestor

You might see Brock Haman there the way BP talks about him. Don't forget about about him.
King Of DeQueen's Brilliance:
Man of the Silver Mountain - Live in Munich - 1977 - youtube it.

it eventually rolls into a slow blues jam with Dio sounding incredible.  Blackmore just eff's around most the time, dazzling as always.

Oklahawg

Atiga and Haman have a built-in audition for MLB during bowl workouts. If they show themselves to be productive then we'll sign a HS guy.

I believe Lake is done at UA. Humphrey as well.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Fort Dweller on January 03, 2012, 08:43:30 pm
Boo crappy news prognosticator.

Humphrey goes home with McGee at UAB. Not a "new" thought on hogville.

Lake appears to be the extra body at LB that needs to shuffle away to make room for new guys. Academic issues will NOT sit well with BP.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 03, 2012, 08:51:10 pm
Humphrey goes home with McGee at UAB. Not a "new" thought on hogville.

Lake appears to be the extra body at LB that needs to shuffle away to make room for new guys. Academic issues will NOT sit well with BP.

I know Okla.  Just not happy about Lake.  Really had high hopes for him.  Humphrey was just buried.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 03, 2012, 08:20:17 pm
Atiga and Haman have a built-in audition for MLB during bowl workouts. If they show themselves to be productive then we'll sign a HS guy.

I believe Lake is done at UA. Humphrey as well.

I agree.  Interested to see recruiting start back up to see if we go after additional JUCO kids or if we take one of the HS guys coming in on the 13th.

wholehog92

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 03, 2012, 08:51:10 pm
It really sucks when talented kids don't get it.  Honestly I hope you are wrong for completely selfish reasons of really wanting this kid making tackles for us.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Oklahawg

I'd love nothing more than for Lake to be a star at UA. Stick it to the Sooner Faithful who STILL maintain they walked away from Lake.