Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 09, 2024, 03:16:25 pm

Basketball Recruiting

Started by Illinihog, January 29, 2015, 07:50:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Illinihog

I wish in Hoops we recruit smarter players.  I'm talking more basketball IQ.  Beard has it, but some of the others are hmm....  We can move on from projects like Kingsley.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Illinihog on January 29, 2015, 07:50:53 am
I wish in Hoops we recruit smarter players.  I'm talking more basketball IQ.  Beard has it, but some of the others are hmm.

I would say that all of the last 7 players Mike has brought in (Whitt, Hannahs, Durham, Beard, Babb, Miles, Thompson) are very smart guys and play with a good BBall IQ. Now, some of them need experience and development, but they aren't dumb projects out there.

We can move on from projects like Kingsley.

Kingsley's biggest issue is he has Bobby Portis in front of him. He isn't getting the extended minutes he needs to truly develop into the player he can become.

We will see a much better Moses in 2015-16 when his playing time in increased.

EndoeNova

outlawhogeywells

Just seems like I see lots of players out there that show offers from Schools around us, but we don't offer.  I know Mike is looking for a specific player for his system.  But lots of these kids seems to have the body type and are top 100 players and they don't show an Arkansas offer.  I not talking about going to NY or the North East or the West coast, but players in Texas, GA, Alabama, Chicago. 

daprospecta

I wish in Hoops we recruit smarter players.  I'm talking more basketball IQ.  Beard has it, but some of the others are hmm....  We can move on from projects like Kingsley.
You say that but I can bet you Moses will be a NBA prospect by the time his 4 years are done.

userpick

Quote from: daprospecta on January 29, 2015, 09:17:42 am
You say that but I can bet you Moses will be a NBA prospect by the time his 4 years are done.

What's considered a "prospect"? If we can agree to those terms, I'll take the bet!

forrest city joe

Are you freaking kidding me? i left the Jump ball forum for a few days to get away from crap post like this. now this crap is being allowed in the recruiting forum.calling Mosses Kingsley dumb. really. that's going to be allowed here now? this is pitiful.

FBREW000

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 29, 2015, 11:39:16 am
Are you freaking kidding me? i left the Jump ball forum for a few days to get away from crap post like this. now this crap is being allowed in the recruiting forum.calling Mosses Kingsley dumb. really. that's going to be allowed here now? this is pitiful.

no Joe, he isn't kidding you.  He posted it to see if you would come running like a fly to a turd and it worked.  Man, Come On Joe.  His post is meant to speak about BB IQ, and you know that more than anyone.  It takes certain style of players in MA's system to have that certain style, ability, knowledge.  Perhaps the wording should be different, but it is the same.

BB IQ wise a few of the players could use some remediation.  BUt it is awesome to be winning, isn't it Joe?

hawginbigd1

FCJ i didn't see anybody who said dumb, I could have missed it. However if you can't see that moses lacks basketball IQ you are either blind or don't know basketball, he is constantly out of position on both ends of the floor. Now that being said, he gets a pass in my book because there are others on the team who are just as BB IQ challenged but have been playing the game since childhood. That being said he is 2 years for all intents and purposes in big time BB and played for one of the best AAU programs in the country, and I am not seeing the improvement I would expect from someone so naturally gifted. Is that Moses problem or MA's problem?

The_Boot_stops_here

speaking of dumb.....

Hawg Red

I don't think it's out of line to question Kingsley's basketball IQ seeing as how he's only been playing the game for a handful of years and not his entire life like a lot of these kids. It's more than likely that Moses will not really come into his own until he's playing professional basketball somewhere.

forrest city joe

Quote from: FBREW000 on January 29, 2015, 11:42:45 am
no Joe, he isn't kidding you.  He posted it to see if you would come running like a fly to a turd and it worked.  Man, Come On Joe.  His post is meant to speak about BB IQ, and you know that more than anyone.  It takes certain style of players in MA's system to have that certain style, ability, knowledge.  Perhaps the wording should be different, but it is the same.

BB IQ wise a few of the players could use some remediation.  BUt it is awesome to be winning, isn't it Joe?
This is BS that does not belong in this recruiting forum. in my opinion, it does not belong in any of these forums.basketball is not Brain surgery. so this attack on players basketball I.Q. is out of line. why is this kind of crap being allowed here now?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2015, 11:48:55 am
I don't think it's out of line to question Kingsley's basketball IQ seeing as how he's only been playing the game for a handful of years and not his entire life like a lot of these kids. It's more than likely that Moses will not really come into his own until he's playing professional basketball somewhere.
If i was Kingsley and i read this crap, i would tell you fools to go to hell. it's bad enough you guys have Jump ball filled up with this crap. now you have brought it to the recruiting forum.

FBREW000

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 29, 2015, 11:50:05 am
This is BS that does not belong in this recruiting forum. in my opinion, it does not belong in any of these forums.basketball is not Brain surgery. so this attack on players basketball I.Q. is out of line. why is this kind of crap being allowed here now?

Well, since he seems so lost at times, on the court.  Would it be His BB IQ, an assistant coaches BB IQ, or the HC BB IQ?  I am now confused.

Coach Sutton used to speak about BB Awareness a lot in his coaching.  Let's change IQ to Awareness for the political correct folks.. Deal?

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 29, 2015, 11:52:41 am
If i was Kingsley and i read this crap, i would tell you fools to go to hell. it's bad enough you guys have Jump ball filled up with this crap. now you have brought it to the recruiting forum.

Feel free to report what I've posted. If I get banned for anything I've said on this forum, then I don't want to be a part of a forum like that, anyway.

forrest city joe

Quote from: FBREW000 on January 29, 2015, 11:53:06 am
Well, since he seems so lost at times, on the court.  Would it be His BB IQ, an assistant coaches BB IQ, or the HC BB IQ?  I am now confused.

Coach Sutton used to speak about BB Awareness a lot in his coaching.  Let's change IQ to Awareness for the political correct folks.. Deal?
Do whatever the hell you want to do. i don't care. recruits read this forum. and they do not need to come on here and read this crap about our players basketball I.Q. good luck getting top recruits with this kind crap being let on this forum. it's pitiful.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2015, 11:57:56 am
Feel free to report what I've posted. If I get banned for anything I've said on this forum, then I don't want to be a part of a forum like that, anyway.
I will not report anything. the people who run this forum see your post. and it's still up. so it must be ok with them  what you posted. you better be glade i have no say so.i left Jump ball for a few days to get away from crap post like yours. now you bring it here in the recruiting forum.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

I get the basketball IQ concerns.  There are some players that we have that don't make the smartest decisions based on the situations.  I love Portis, but that foul at the end of the game on a shot when we are up 3 makes no sense.  To give you an example from my own life, my son (who is not the most gifted of athletes) is a pretty good baseball player because he has been playing baseball since the age of 3 and has watched hundreds of local, college and professional games.  He catches a pop fly at first and steps on the bag to pull off a double play.  He fields a ball and throws it to second and gets back to the bag to turn a double play.  He is not the fastest or most talented player out there, but in any fielding situation or baserunning situation, he knows where to go and how to take advantage of that.  He has high baseball IQ.  And I have seen tons of players that are very smart outside of the game, but seem to freeze or not know what to do on a field, court etc. because of either A) lack of experience in 6th, 7th, 8th grade, etc.  or B) they seem to be unable to function under pressure.  With many of our basketball players, I don't know what the problem is at times.  I know Mike is telling them to be aware of certain situations, but sometimes they still do the most boneheaded things at inopportune times.

Großer Kriegschwein

You left for one (1) day.
This is my non-signature signature.