Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sorry, but yet another Chavis Thread

Started by FANONTHEHILL, January 09, 2018, 12:27:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FANONTHEHILL

I know that many people are going back and forth about John Chavis.  I've seen many people point out 3rd Down percentages, total yards allowed, points per game, and so on.  All of those are very valid points based on Chavis' past statistics.  There is something worth pointing out though.  You have to remember that the game is three phases. Offense (A), Defense (B), and Special Trams (C). A leads to B leads to C leads to A and so on.  Those who expect Chavis' numbers at Tennessee to be duplicated at Arkansas are going to be disappointed.  The offensive schemes in 2017 put the defense on the field  more often and the numbers don't look as good.

So I went back and looked at the one statistic that means more than any other.  Wins and losses.  At Tennessee Chavis was 130-46, at LSU 62-18, at A&M 23-15.  The numbers at A&M we're not as good, but much of that can be attributed to poor offensive play in the HUNH system Sumlin ran.  So as a DC, Chavis is 215-79.  That's 73% winning percentage.  None of us know what level of success Coach Chavis will have, but you would be hard pressed to find a DC with that long of a career with that type of winning percentage.  Since joining the SEC in 1992, Arkansas is 167-139-2.  Since joining the SEC Arkansas has a 54% winning percentage.  I'll take my chances with John Chavis.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

theFlyingHog

Might as well get behind the guy and hope for the best. Not like we can call Coach Morris and ask him to pick again lol

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 09, 2018, 12:27:55 pm
I know that many people are going back and forth about John Chavis.  I've seen many people point out 3rd Down percentages, total yards allowed, points per game, and so on.  All of those are very valid points based on Chavis' past statistics.  There is something worth pointing out though.  You have to remember that the game is three phases. Offense (A), Defense (B), and Special Trams (C). A leads to B leads to C leads to A and so on.  Those who expect Chavis' numbers at Tennessee to be duplicated at Arkansas are going to be disappointed.  The offensive schemes in 2017 put the defense on the field  more often and the numbers don't look as good.

So I went back and looked at the one statistic that means more than any other.  Wins and losses.  At Tennessee Chavis was 130-46, at LSU 62-18, at A&M 23-15.  The numbers at A&M we're not as good, but much of that can be attributed to poor offensive play in the HUNH system Sumlin ran.  So as a DC, Chavis is 215-79.  That's 73% winning percentage.  None of us know what level of success Coach Chavis will have, but you would be hard pressed to find a DC with that long of a career with that type of winning percentage.  Since joining the SEC in 1992, Arkansas is 167-139-2.  Since joining the SEC Arkansas has a 54% winning percentage.  I'll take my chances with John Chavis.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

liljo

Outstanding post and perspective. I, for one, agree whole heartedly.

U of A coaches, I'm one fan that is behind you all the way. WPS!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Wildhog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 09, 2018, 12:30:28 pm
Might as well get behind the guy and hope for the best. Not like we can call Coach Morris and ask him to pick again lol

Pretty much how I feel. 

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hopeful Hog

I'm not against Chavis, as a matter of fact I think he's the best DC we've ever hired but the problems you pointed out about why he wasn't as successful at A&M are going to be the same here, are they not? We are going to be running a HUNH but with far less talent than A&M had, especially on the Oline, so how is it going to be any different?

bphi11ips

Good perspective. How anyone could fail to appreciate that John Chavis is a statement hire is beyond most of us.

To follow up on your point, Tennessee's all-time winning percentage is 68%.  The Vols won at a 74% clip with Chavis as DC. If Arkansas improves just 6% that would be a start.  To go one-step further, Houston Nutt won 61% of his games at Arkansas. If Chad Morris, Joe Craddock, John Chavis, et al., can win 67% of their games over the next 5 years, that would be something. It would mean an average season of 9-4.  That is in the realm of possibility. Is that an expectation?  No. Is it reasonably possible?  Of course.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hobhog

More importantly, is your son and his teammates excited about the hire? I have to think they are.....

SamBuckhart

I know that many people are going back and forth about John Chavis.  I’ve seen many people point out 3rd Down percentages, total yards allowed, points per game, and so on.  All of those are very valid points based on Chavis’ past statistics.  There is something worth pointing out though.  You have to remember that the game is three phases. Offense (A), Defense (B), and Special Trams (C). A leads to B leads to C leads to A and so on.  Those who expect Chavis’ numbers at Tennessee to be duplicated at Arkansas are going to be disappointed.  The offensive schemes in 2017 put the defense on the field  more often and the numbers don’t look as good.

So I went back and looked at the one statistic that means more than any other.  Wins and losses.  At Tennessee Chavis was 130-46, at LSU 62-18, at A&M 23-15.  The numbers at A&M we’re not as good, but much of that can be attributed to poor offensive play in the HUNH system Sumlin ran.  So as a DC, Chavis is 215-79.  That’s 73% winning percentage.  None of us know what level of success Coach Chavis will have, but you would be hard pressed to find a DC with that long of a career with that type of winning percentage.  Since joining the SEC in 1992, Arkansas is 167-139-2.  Since joining the SEC Arkansas has a 54% winning percentage.  I’ll take my chances with John Chavis.

Ready for spring ball. Thanks for your perspective. Sam I Am
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

FOTH I'd like to know what the players think about the hire.  Getting them excited, motivated, and buying in, is as important as anything.

Thanks for your unique perspective.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DuckTalesLOL

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 09, 2018, 12:50:02 pm
I'm not against Chavis, as a matter of fact I think he's the best DC we've ever hired but the problems you pointed out about why he wasn't as successful at A&M are going to be the same here, are they not? We are going to be running a HUNH but with far less talent than A&M had, especially on the Oline, so how is it going to be any different?

Comes down to coaching. I believe Coach Morris will coach these guys better than Sumlin did at A&M.

PorkSoda

maybe he learned something at TAMU?

we are going to have those issues no matter who we hired.

at least Chavis will know the kind of defensive players we need to recruit in order to win at a high level.  He has been in the SEC his entire career, so he knows the offenses we are going to face.

Chavis's experience will be an invaluable asset to Morris.  there is really nothing not to like about his hire.  its the highest profile DC we have ever had.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 09, 2018, 01:36:17 pm

at least Chavis will know the kind of defensive players we need to recruit in order to win at a high level.  He has been in the SEC his entire career, so he knows the offenses we are going to face.

Chavis's experience will be an invaluable asset to Morris.  there is really nothing not to like about his hire.  its the highest profile DC we have ever had.

OK, this is scary... We are agreeing twice in a month.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Vantage 8 dude

Totally agree with this. Short of luring away Venables, which was quite frankly NOT realistic, there were few candidates with all the combination of experience, success and having "been there, done that" than JC. Having said that, there will always be an element that will NEVER EVER be happy with whoever's been chosen and hired. And that's from day one; they're never willing to give any hire a chance to succeed or fail 'cause they automatically assume the worst.

hawganatic

There are other factors that go into it than just what the offense is doing.  We don't know what the environment was around the A&M program, how much freedom Sumlin gave Chavis in running his defense, how much the players were buying into what he wanted to do, etc...

I know we all think we can see everything from our couch and by being active on message boards, but we have no idea what was going on inside the program.

Hugo Bezdek

There was another post on the board a week or so ago that showed the differences in Time of Possession for the offenses run at LSU and A&M during the Chavis years. TOP was very different between the two, where A&M was considerably lower than LSU. You can make a pretty strong argument that weighed heavily on the defensive results at A&M. The Morris offenses at Clemson and SMU did not have the same TOP that LSU's offense had, but were much more closely aligned with the LSU numbers than A&M (to my surprise). As you say, one phase feeds the others.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 09, 2018, 01:50:11 pm
There was another post on the board a week or so ago that showed the differences in Time of Possession for the offenses run at LSU and A&M during the Chavis years. TOP was very different between the two, where A&M was considerably lower than LSU. You can make a pretty strong argument that weighed heavily on the defensive results at A&M. The Morris offenses at Clemson and SMU did not have the same TOP that LSU's offense had, but were much more closely aligned with the LSU numbers than A&M (to my surprise). As you say, one phase feeds the others.
I wonder what it would look like if we had a (yards per minute or points per minute stat)  would prolly take a lot of work though.

either way, its bound to be better than what we have had.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/status/950763792178335745

Barrett Sallee‏Verified account
@BarrettSallee
I really don't like this move for Arkansas. They needed somebody younger, with more upside and ability to co-exist with an up-tempo offense
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcam

Quote from: Wildhog on January 09, 2018, 02:01:26 pm

@BarrettSallee
I really don't like this move for Arkansas. They needed somebody younger, with more upside and ability to co-exist with an up-tempo offense
That means it was a great hire then.

FANONTHEHILL

A few have asked about my son and his teammates opinions of he hires.  Very few have been in town, but from what I'm hearing from guys that have been around, it's been positive.  There are always a few communication gaffs when the staff and operations director are sent packing, but it's an awkward situation on both sides.  From what I'm hearing, they're ready to get back and go to work.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Hogblog

DeltaBoy

The D will be smooth now.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 09, 2018, 01:37:45 pm
OK, this is scary... We are agreeing twice in a month.

That's what a wife normally says...............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Danny J

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 09, 2018, 01:36:17 pm

Correct...great hire.

Mike_e

I suspect that the average field position at the start of each defensive series was noticeably worse for his time at a-t-m,  It makes a difference don't ya think?

I'm really good with his hiring.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

redeye

I'm not doing the numbers on this, but here's the difference with Chavis at his various stops.

Tennessee and LSU controlled TOP while Chavis was there, while A&M was horrible in TOP, largely because their offense went 3 and out so much.  You might think that Morris has been horrible in TOP, but you would be wrong.  Morris did well in TOP at Clemson and SMU.

The point being that at A&M, his defense was on the field much more.

elksnort

Let's also realize when Chavis was at Tennessee, they were getting very good talent and the same with LSU. His worst record was at A&M where the defensive talent was not as good as his first two stops.  Talent is essential.

Can Chavis have at least the 2014 Arkansas defense's results?

opineonswine

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 09, 2018, 02:25:59 pm
A few have asked about my son and his teammates opinions of he hires.  Very few have been in town, but from what I'm hearing from guys that have been around, it's been positive.  There are always a few communication gaffs when the staff and operations director are sent packing, but it's an awkward situation on both sides.  From what I'm hearing, they're ready to get back and go to work.

De'Jon Harris (@Scoooota8)
1/8/18, 9:06 PM
Met @coachchadmorris and the Defensive of staff today. Really ready to get to work now after them convos!😬🤕

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Pigsknuckles

Great SEC experience. Translation: Everyone in the SEC is familiar with his defense.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The_Bionic_Pig

Sumlin - runs the HUNH as often as possible and has a certain amount of plays per game needed to be successful.

Morris - runs the HUNH during a successful series. *momentum*  He believes in his play calling more than a system.

Razorback's apply full court pressure usually after made baskets *momentum*
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

elviscat

Coach CM, should have learned last night that you win championship with defense. Neither offense was overwhelming. If you hire a coach who is over the hill and too old for the job. You are going to get that type of defense, he will learn soon that he can't get the job done.This will be a major setback to his job of trying to get our program from the basement of the SEC West. Terrible hire.

hogchic2001

Go HOGS Go!

Pig in the Pokey

auburn beat both those teams, then lost to a hunh spread mid major :/. you are just wrong if you think the future of football is smash mouth defenses lol!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

farmhawg

@BarrettSallee
Who?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: elviscat on January 09, 2018, 06:37:43 pm
Coach CM, should have learned last night that you win championship with defense. Neither offense was overwhelming. If you hire a coach who is over the hill and too old for the job. You are going to get that type of defense, he will learn soon that he can't get the job done.This will be a major setback to his job of trying to get our program from the basement of the SEC West. Terrible hire.
Then please crawl back into your hole.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

thebignasty

@BarrettSallee

lol, if we did that, he would have tweeted about how little experience Morris' staff has in the SEC and what a problem that would be.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

MuskogeeHogFan

I'll just say this, though the offense may move faster than under the past coaching staff, if the offense can put up more yards and sustain more drives, it will put the defense in a better position than it has been in the past. It will be very helpful if we don't turn the ball over in our end of the field putting the defense in a bad position with their backs to the wall, but overall, sustain offensive drives.

Some of the problem that Chavis' defense at A&M might have experienced was that A&M, for all of their talent, averaged just 5.2 plays p/drive, 28.7 yds/drive and 5.5 yds/play. As bad as we thought the Arkansas offense was it averaged 5.8 plays p/drive, 32.2 yds/drive and 5.6 yds/play. Let that soak in for a minute. Morris' SMU offense averaged 5.7 plays p/drive, 36.2 yds/drive and 6.4 yds/play.

If the offense can offer better support in its role as a part of the scheme, there is a chance that the defense could be improved under Chavis. He has less recruited talent overall to work with here at Arkansas, but it might be enough depending upon how the offense transitions. It does take both sides of the ball doing their job. We will see.
Go Hogs Go!

livevanguy

Yeah, we're not Tennessee for Jimmy's sake! WPS
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Sow Lancelot

Cheerios, meet piss.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Stu

Hoo Boy.  Chicken Little is in the house. 

Saban is 5 years older than Chavis...I guess that makes him over the hill and too old for the job.   ::)

pigture perfect

I'm not worried. I believe Chavis is better or at least on par with Willy Robinson. Kind of the same situation. It worked pretty well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

RaisinHog

Probably biggest named coordinator hire of my life

Pork Twain

Good teams win championships, not good offenses or good defenses, good teams...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hoghearted

I'm not 'expecting championships', I just want to see improvement. We've very little place to go but up.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Sooiepride

Quote from: DuckTalesLOL on January 09, 2018, 01:13:18 pm
Comes down to coaching. I believe Coach Morris will coach these guys better than Sumlin did at A&M.

This.  Instead of making rap videos and watching movies with his players, CCM appears to foster respect with his players.  Sorta like having a Dad that will whip you with a belt when you need correction instead of trying to be your buddy.  Hopefully that will translate to success on the field.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

Arkiebarkie

Your assuming the Oline will NOT get fixed? I think we fix that problem and have plenty of talent to do so. Jackson, Frohodt, Wallace, Rogers,Merritt, all four stars. We have Clennon, Wagner, Adcock, Gibson,Malone, Heinrich all can can help. I think our problem has been coaching the OLineman. We shall see if Dustin Fry can get it done. CCM will not except duds on his OL.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 09, 2018, 11:42:27 pm
I'm not worried. I believe Chavis is better or at least on par with Willy Robinson. Kind of the same situation. It worked pretty well.

Chavis will be better than Robinson. We will see pressure up front, it will be schemed to do so. Been telling you guys that for some time now if Chavis was the hire and now, he is. The problem may be, and I hope it is not the case, in the back end. If we get good coaching and scheming in the back end, that may hold up as well and let's remember that we recruited well to the Secondary the last year or so. The other concern may be the run defense because if you are constantly pressuring, you are taking chances. Sometimes you will win, sometimes you may get hit for a big run. But I expect that Sacks and QB Pressures will go up this coming season.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 10, 2018, 07:47:18 pm
Chavis will be better than Robinson. We will see pressure up front, it will be schemed to do so. Been telling you guys that for some time now if Chavis was the hire and now, he is. The problem may be, and I hope it is not the case, in the back end. If we get good coaching and scheming in the back end, that may hold up as well and let's remember that we recruited well to the Secondary the last year or so. The other concern may be the run defense because if you are constantly pressuring, you are taking chances. Sometimes you will win, sometimes you may get hit for a big run. But I expect that Sacks and QB Pressures will go up this coming season.

Still a better situation than what we've watched the last 2 years.
No QB pressure, no risk taking and still giving up the big play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality