Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 23, 2024, 01:30:43 pm

Xavier

Started by colavito, February 25, 2016, 07:38:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

colavito

Xavier is a prime example of good coaching and recruiting.  Although their coach is in his 7th season, he has shown consistent improvement.  Do any of you believe that in another two years under coach Anderson we'll be able to defeat the number one team in the nation?

bvillepig

If it's Kentucky in the next couple of years?   That's probably going to be the only number 1 we will meet.

Maybe

TomBigBeeHog

On the right night and circumstance, any team can be beaten. This program has a history of knocking off highly ranked teams even in down years and not just under MA. To deny that we would even have a chance to knock off any team in college basketball would be stupid, even for hogville.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Dream team with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Barkley and so on and so on, lost to a college developmental team in 1992. if that helps your perspective.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-25/sports/sp-1411_1_olympic-team
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

wheelspigharvey

I think our wins against top 10 teams under Mike are #2 Florida in his second season and #5 TAMU this season.

Xavier has been a good team in a good basketball conference for a very long time, and now the Big East.  Mack went to the Sweet 16 his first season, after taking over for a coach who just a Sweet 16 the previous season and an Elite 8 before that. Not a lot of grounds comparison in terms of "progress" between the two coaches, but yes I think we are on the cusp of putting some good seasons together. 

Then again they missed the post-season two seasons ago and now they're back on the map, so I guess it does show that all teams hit speed bumps.

The_Iceman

2009–10    Xavier    26–9          NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2010–11    Xavier    24–8            NCAA Second Round
2011–12    Xavier    23–13    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13    Xavier    17–14    
2013–14    Xavier    21–13    NCAA First Round
2014–15    Xavier    23–14    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2015–16    Xavier    25–3            Currently #5 in Nation

Recruiting
2016: 25
2015: 110
2014: 19
2013: 51
2012: 32
2011: 20

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 25, 2016, 08:24:45 am

Recruiting

So they beefed it in recruiting a few times, but have recovered?  That's hopeful.

latrops

Didn't we beat Kentucky twice in a season they went to the Final Four?  That was just two years ago and we didn't even make the NCAAT.  I expect our next two seasons to be NCAAT good.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: colavito on February 25, 2016, 07:38:27 am
Xavier is a prime example of good coaching and recruiting.  Although their coach is in his 7th season, he has shown consistent improvement.  Do any of you believe that in another two years under coach Anderson we'll be able to defeat the number one team in the nation?

He beat a #2 team here. I'm sure he could beat a number #1 team. Of course only in BWA.

hogsanity

Quote from: latrops on February 25, 2016, 08:29:27 am
Didn't we beat Kentucky twice in a season they went to the Final Four?  That was just two years ago and we didn't even make the NCAAT.  I expect our next two seasons to be NCAAT good.

That is what has been so frustrating about the last 3 seasons. They year you mentioned they beat KY twice, but then went to Bama and got run out of the gym by a horrible Bama team, then lost in the SECT to a bad SC team. If they win either of those they go to the NCAAT.

This year they beat A&M but lose to Auburn.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hollywood_HOGan45

Recruiting

I admire their program but if an Anderson coached Arkansas team had as many 13 loss seasons as they have had, the folks on this message board would not be happy with him.

"Yes we are in the sweet 16 but look at how many we lost during the regular season."

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 25, 2016, 08:34:27 am
I admire their program but if an Anderson coached Arkansas team had as many 13 loss seasons as they have had, the folks on this message board would not be happy with him.

"Yes we are in the sweet 16 but look at how many we lost during the regular season."

Mikes team has had that many loses. The difference is the sec stinks so 13 l's is about like 20 in Xaviers league.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 25, 2016, 08:34:27 am

Well, we would never get into the tourney with 13 losses

jkstock04

Recruiting
Man that resume must be nice.

Thing is, the Big East plays much better quality basketball than the SEC. Better players, better coaches, better product. Watching these teams play its night and day different than what we see on a normal basis.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on February 25, 2016, 08:37:33 am
Mikes team has had that many loses. The difference is the sec stinks so 13 l's is about like 20 in Xaviers league.

This is why I wouldn't mind a mega non-league schedule.
So many SEC programs are all about football.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 25, 2016, 08:43:36 am
This is why I wouldn't mind a mega non-league schedule.
So many SEC programs are all about football.

Well, the problem with a mega ooc schedule is that if you go, lets say 8-4 or 7-5 then go 9-9 in the sec, you still do not make the ncaat.  The path to the NCAAt out of the sec, right now anyway, you have to win 10+ sec games, which means you have to be able to wins more than 1 road game. That is what they did last year, they won several road games, and the made the ncaat. 

JayBell

Quote from: hogsanity on February 25, 2016, 08:58:52 am
Well, the problem with a mega ooc schedule is that if you go, lets say 8-4 or 7-5 then go 9-9 in the sec, you still do not make the ncaat.  The path to the NCAAt out of the sec, right now anyway, you have to win 10+ sec games, which means you have to be able to wins more than 1 road game. That is what they did last year, they won several road games, and the made the ncaat.

It's so frustrating that road wins under Anderson feel like miracles, especially in the SEC.  Conference road wins, by season: 2016, 1; 2015, 6; 2014, 3; 2013, 1; 2012, 1.  Thank the basketball gods for Auburn, and Bobby Portis.  Three total SEC road wins in Anderson's three years at Arkansas without Portis.

That fantastic home win percentage is virtually meaningless when you're not just bad on the road, but historically terrible on the road by any metric.

Atlhogfan1

Beating highly ranked teams or #1 teams is what you care about? 

College basketball is about one thing - the NCAAT.  Nobody outside your fan base remembers beating a #1 team during the regular season.  You get remembered for beating or being a top seed in the NCAAT and advancing.

This season has set a record for #1 teams losing. 

I would have thought you would have headed down the path of how Xavier has done a great job of hiring coaches and how they have now developed consistency by promoting from within now that the winning has been established.  Kind of similar to the 2 decade+ build at Oregon in football. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 25, 2016, 12:16:27 pm
Beating highly ranked teams or #1 teams is what you care about? 

College basketball is about one thing - the NCAAT.  Nobody outside your fan base remembers beating a #1 team during the regular season.  You get remembered for beating or being a top seed in the NCAAT and advancing.

This season has set a record for #1 teams losing. 

I would have thought you would have headed down the path of how Xavier has done a great job of hiring coaches and how they have now developed consistency by promoting from within now that the winning has been established.  Kind of similar to the 2 decade+ build at Oregon in football. 

Polls in college bball are meaningless. As you and I have said often, it is ALL about the NCAAT. Who is # on on the 2nd Monday of January means nothing. You get your name called on selection Sunday with consistent winning, at home and on the road.

poloprince

Villanova isn't the best team in the country fwiw.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: poloprince on February 25, 2016, 12:40:44 pm
Villanova isn't the best team in the country fwiw.

You could make a case for about 15 teams that would be classified as the "best in the country".

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on February 25, 2016, 12:25:00 pm
Polls in college bball are meaningless. As you and I have said often, it is ALL about the NCAAT. Who is # on on the 2nd Monday of January means nothing. You get your name called on selection Sunday with consistent winning, at home and on the road.

This,

I used to actually feel sorry for the teams that were so great during the regular season only to get knocked out in the first weekend.  They work so hard and win so many games during the season only to watch it go up in smoke in one game. That's the name of the game in college ball though.

10 KU, 97 KU, UNC 94, Zona 93 come to mind as some of the best teams never to make the s16.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: JayBell on February 25, 2016, 09:42:49 am
It's so frustrating that road wins under Anderson feel like miracles, especially in the SEC.  Conference road wins, by season: 2016, 1; 2015, 6; 2014, 3; 2013, 1; 2012, 1.  Thank the basketball gods for Auburn, and Bobby Portis.  Three total SEC road wins in Anderson's three years at Arkansas without Portis.

That fantastic home win percentage is virtually meaningless when you're not just bad on the road, but historically terrible on the road by any metric.

To me winning on the road is more about coaching the fundamentals like defense and rebounding then of course talent.  You need to have both but if you can out coach your opponent and play great defense and re bound the ball then you have  excellent chances.  Winning at home is so often about getting your kids hyped up to play at that magical level to over come deficiencies in your lack of coaching and fundamentals.   

The more conference road wins you have over 50% tells me the better you are as a coach.  Mike's road conference winning pct. is 28% in the SEC and 35% in the big 12.  Neither of these percentages speaks very highly of CMA as a coach who teaches the fundamentals of the game plus strategy and recruiting coach. 

bvillepig

You could bring the top team from any conference and put them in the SEC for one year and the results would be the same. Teams only win 25% of their road games.

Until that anomaly is fixed the SEC will always be considered a weak conference. We beat the crap out of each other in football and basketball. Most of the country thinks the SEC is overhyped  in football ? 

phadedhawg

That was the first time Xavier beat Nova since joining the conference and they lost to them earlier this season by over 30 points. 

TheRazorback500

JP Macura can really shoot it, and Reynolds is a beast inside.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on February 25, 2016, 04:44:41 pm
You could bring the top team from any conference and put them in the SEC for one year and the results would be the same. Teams only win 25% of their road games.

Until that anomaly is fixed the SEC will always be considered a weak conference. We beat the crap out of each other in football and basketball. Most of the country thinks the SEC is overhyped  in football ? 

Sorry but the facts do not back you up.   SEC is very good in football and about the 6th ranked BB conference.  Sorry but the national guys have it right this time. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: phadedhawg on February 25, 2016, 04:48:21 pm
That was the first time Xavier beat Nova since joining the conference and they lost to them earlier this season by over 30 points. 

Big East is very tough conference.  I think it is like
Quote from: phadedhawg on February 25, 2016, 04:48:21 pm

To me a really good coach is winning half your games on the road.    I looked up Chris Mack of Xavier and over 7 seasons he is winning 54% of his Conference road games and 82% of his home games.    At Arkansas mike is winning 78% of his home games and about 29% of his conference games.  Missouri was a little bit better for Mike as he won 35% of his road games in the Big 12.  You decide which is better.  Marshall at WSU is winning 69% of his conference road games.   Howland while at UCLA won 57% of his Conference road games.  Looks like MSU got themselves a coach.

JayBell

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 25, 2016, 10:13:08 pmSorry but the facts do not back you up.   SEC is very good in football and about the 6th ranked BB conference.  Sorry but the national guys have it right this time.

Exactly.  Draft picks show there are talented individuals in the SEC.  That says nothing about the quality of the teams.  You've got a bright, shining example of the differences between the two with LSU this season.

If SEC teams just beat up on each other, then they would have better out-of-conference records like they do in football.  They don't.  And success in the NCAA tournament has been limited to several teams, unlike the success spread across most of the conference in football.

SEC basketball is bad.  Somehow, it got worse this season when it was supposed to get better.  And Arkansas has been mired in the middle of the conference for most of Anderson's tenure and now the team is one of the worst in a conference that may be worse now than when he got here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: JayBell on February 26, 2016, 10:53:45 am
Exactly.  Draft picks show there are talented individuals in the SEC.  That says nothing about the quality of the teams.  You've got a bright, shining example of the differences between the two with LSU this season.

If SEC teams just beat up on each other, then they would have better out-of-conference records like they do in football.  They don't.  And success in the NCAA tournament has been limited to several teams, unlike the success spread across most of the conference in football.

SEC basketball is bad.  Somehow, it got worse this season when it was supposed to get better.  And Arkansas has been mired in the middle of the conference for most of Anderson's tenure and now the team is one of the worst in a conference that may be worse now than when he got here.

It was supposed to be better.  MSU and AU probably will be better soon.  Bama looks like it could too.  Coaching upgrades should pay off. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 25, 2016, 08:37:33 am

The SEC doesn't stink. The NBA drafts more players from the SEC than the Big East, Big Ten, basically everyone but the ACC. The only reason for the SEC stinks crap in the first place was because the conference was playing too many puds in the pre season to get RPI #s high enough to get teams into the tourney. The SEC is looking at 5 teams in the tourney this year. That doesn't "stink".

ShadowHawg

Quote from: JayBell on February 26, 2016, 10:53:45 am

If it's worse then why are all the bracektoligists saying the SEC will get at least 5 teams? And draft picks do matter because it means that there is talent in the conference which makes it harder to win games, especially on the road which by the way, the SEC is the toughest of all conferences to win road games in.

SuperSid4Ever

If I am doing my math correctly, since 1982, Xavier has been in the NCAA tourney 24 times and the NIT another 4 times on top of that.  34 years, 28 total bids.  Pretty hard to refer to "improving" with that kind of a program track record when you took the job.

Pete Gillen
Skip Prosser
Thad Matta
Sean Miller

Those are the coaches that Chris Mack has followed in the footsteps of.  Not a lousy one on the list.

Sure, the guy can coach, but it wasn't exactly a carpetbagger's job when he was hired.

Contrast that with where THIS program was when Mike Anderson was hired. 

Apples and oranges.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on February 28, 2016, 06:15:33 am
If I am doing my math correctly, since 1982, Xavier has been in the NCAA tourney 24 times and the NIT another 4 times on top of that.  34 years, 28 total bids.  Pretty hard to refer to "improving" with that kind of a program track record when you took the job.

Pete Gillen
Skip Prosser
Thad Matta
Sean Miller

Those are the coaches that Chris Mack has followed in the footsteps of.  Not a lousy one on the list.

Sure, the guy can coach, but it wasn't exactly a carpetbagger's job when he was hired.

Contrast that with where THIS program was when Mike Anderson was hired. 

Apples and oranges.

Truth

wheelspigharvey

It also goes to show that s... happens, Xavier missed the tournament themselves a few seasons ago.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 28, 2016, 10:13:44 am
It also goes to show that s... happens, Xavier missed the tournament themselves a few seasons ago.

Wheels, I'm feeling what you're getting at.  ALL of them miss the tourney sooner or later.  For a school that size, it performs well more often than not.  Even still, most of their success has been due to a string of very capable coaches.  I think we both would agree on that. ;)