Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RPI

Started by HogNDas, February 14, 2016, 01:58:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogNDas

....is currently 112.   Sad that there are 111 teams better than us..

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

PonderinHog

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Sivad

Quote from: HogNDas on February 14, 2016, 01:58:26 pm
But we're Top 25 in coach's salary.

hogsanity

I think there a lot more teams than that better than the Hogs, but their rpi's are lower because of their overall competition.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

arkansas1994

What is even worse than that to me is 10th in our conference,  no excuse for that.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: arkansas1994 on February 14, 2016, 05:17:43 pm
What is even worse than that to me is 10th in our conference,  no excuse for that.
It will be tough - but the Fastest 40 Excuses Army will come up with one.

moses_007

Who cares what our RPI is?  We're a horrible team that can only win at Walton Arena.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Some of you almost sound happy about our struggles.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 15, 2016, 08:17:47 am

This is a ridiculous statement.  Instead of blaming the coaches who are making millions of dollars, blame the fans for noticing we aren't nearly as good as we used to be...and could be now.

Maybe the "malcontent" fans are that way because they want the Razorbacks to be among the best teams in the nation, not middle of the pack (or worse).  Maybe they care more about the best interests of the teams than the men who currently get paid a lot of money to coach them.

The_Iceman

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 15, 2016, 08:29:44 am
This is a ridiculous statement.  Instead of blaming the coaches who are making millions of dollars, blame the fans for noticing we aren't nearly as good as we used to be...and could be now.

Maybe the "malcontent" fans are that way because they want the Razorbacks to be among the best teams in the nation, not middle of the pack (or worse).  Maybe they care more about the best interests of the teams than the men who currently get paid a lot of money to coach them.

Correct. It is not unreasonable for fans to expect a coach paid a Top 25 salary at a program like Arkansas to recruit consistent Top 25 recruiting classes and have his team consistently in the NCAA tournament, or at least on the bubble in a bad year.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: arkansas1994 on February 14, 2016, 05:17:43 pm

A solid week will have the hogs back anywhere around 7-8 in the standings.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2016, 08:47:09 am
Correct. It is not unreasonable for fans to expect a coach paid a Top 25 salary at a program like Arkansas to recruit consistent Top 25 recruiting classes and have his team consistently in the NCAA tournament, or at least on the bubble in a bad year.

Do you expect us to be in the top 18 in football each season? If you're going to highlight the salary and results of one try to be consistent in your argument.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2016, 08:57:27 am
Do you expect us to be in the top 18 in football each season? If you're going to highlight the salary and results of one try to be consistent in your argument.

That won't happen.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

EastexHawg

There's nothing inconsistent in my position...regardless of the sport.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2016, 08:52:19 am
A solid week will have the hogs back anywhere around 7-8 in the standings.

The_Iceman

Yes, by Bielema's 5th season after rebuilding an 85 man football roster in the toughest football conference in the world, I would expect our program to be a Top 25 football program consistently.

In Mike's 5th season in a weak SEC basketball conference, I expect us to be better than where he has us.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2016, 09:04:56 am

If you look at the SEC standing there is not a lot of separation. You have a winning streak you can get right back in the thick of things. It's been a up and down season but I think we finish 4-2 or 5-1 down the stretch.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2016, 09:11:10 am
If you look at the SEC standing there is not a lot of separation. You have a winning streak you can get right back in the thick of things. It's been a up and down season but I think we finish 4-2 or 5-1 down the stretch.

Do that, win a game in the SECT maybe sneak into the NIT.  Boom 3 post-seasons in 5 years.

hogsanity

Why can't Mike's defenders ( and make no mistake they defend Mike, not the team ) just talk basketball? Why do they always have to bring in a sport that is not comparable in any way to basketball?

Mike Anderson, in now almost 5 full seasons, has been to the NCAAt once. His 5th season is almost complete and with 6 games left the team has a losing record, and just got stomped twice.

But I'll play along. If in his 5th season the football program has seen this type of regression, you can bet I will be upset about it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 15, 2016, 08:17:47 am

I'm not happy about the struggles.  I'm not angry about the struggles.  I'm worse than both of those; I'm apathetic about it.  That's sad and flame away at me if you want but it's the truth.  We donate and usually have 4 seats filled at Bud Walton for every home game (not always us; we make the drive from Memphis 1-2 times a year for bb games).  But for me it's so different than football.  I go to football and am invested in how we play, the outcome, all that.  I go to a basketball game and I have no real expectations.  20 years of mediocrity in a sport where 68 teams go to the Big Dance will do that.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

nwahogfan1

We are in the same boat with probable about 150 other schools who are all mediocre, slightly below average or just hard to watch with inconsistencies.  We can win against a pretty good team when we shoot 40% beyond the arc and then lose to a poor team especially on road because we don't defend or rebound well.  But it is what it is because this is what Coach recruited.  this is coaches team.  he will suffer along with the rest of us except he gets to live in a mighty fine home while suffering and eat steak.  LOL>

Letsroll1200

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 15, 2016, 09:24:28 am
Do that, win a game in the SECT maybe sneak into the NIT.  Boom 3 post-seasons in 5 years.

I think Dusty will do well against Auburn and Mizzou. We just hate a wall the last two games. Hopefully a Auburn team with a point guard and best player will get us going.

If we lose to Auburn than that would be considered a very bad lost.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2016, 09:26:48 am
Why can't Mike's defenders ( and make no mistake they defend Mike, not the team ) just talk basketball? Why do they always have to bring in a sport that is not comparable in any way to basketball?

Mike Anderson, in now almost 5 full seasons, has been to the NCAAt once. His 5th season is almost complete and with 6 games left the team has a losing record, and just got stomped twice.

But I'll play along. If in his 5th season the football program has seen this type of regression, you can bet I will be upset about it.
Coming from one of the biggest Nutthuggers to ever grace Hogville with his input, please excuse me while I ROFLMAO.  Your agenda is showing.

The_Iceman

Sometimes you need a coach that can push this program over the top and overachieve when given the opportunity. In the last three years, every chance he has had to do that with a team he has come up short.

At the end of the 2013-2014 season, this team was sitting squarely on the NCAA bubble. All we had to do was go down and beat a poor Alabama team on the road and we probably would have solidified our spot. Instead we got blown out. We also lost our chance at redemption in the first round of the SEC tournament against South Carolina.

In the 2014-2015 season, we finished 2nd in the conference and runner-up in the SEC. That team this year would be first no doubt, but you can't change that. Kentucky was a monster and I don't blame Mike for not beating them. But we go into a 2nd round game against North Carolina after beating Wofford and completely play right into their hands. Mike's dedication to his system put North Carolina's deeper and more athletic roster in a perfect style of play. We didn't exploit any of their weaknesses and played right into their strengths. So no Sweet 16 for us, which would have put us on the map. It was the best season we had in 20 years, but the NCAA tournament is where programs are judged. It was a good season, but it just missed being great.

This offseason he has the chance to capitalize on the success and momentum we are building. He takes a gamble on a Top 50 PF with known eligibility risks and he blows up on him (just like he did with Tony Mitchell at Mizzou). He then scrambles and misses on all of his targets, and lands a 2-star player that can't find the court and a grad-transfer who hasn't contributed. Instead of capitalizing on his momentum, he lands the last ranked recruiting class (94th nationally).

This season was known to be rough. Somethings in his control and out of his control lead to these issues. But, we were sitting in a position where we can actually sneak into the NCAA tournament, or at least solidify a top NIT seed. We just need to go into Mississippi and win one game. Two games in Miss would have us in NCAA position. Instead we lose by a combined 48 points in two games to teams with a combined 7-16 record in the SEC (when we played them).

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

root_hawg

Well at least we will have Little Rock to yell for in the tourney

ChicoHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 15, 2016, 09:51:54 am
Coming from one of the biggest Nutthuggers to ever grace Hogville with his input, please excuse me while I ROFLMAO.  Your agenda is showing.
What does a Nutt lover or hater have anything to do with basketball?  This is about Anderson, not Nutt.   
Let's see what happens this week.  We might play well again and have a chance for the NIT.  Who knows with this group? 

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: root_hawg on February 15, 2016, 08:52:20 pm

One of the tournaments, probably. Looks like the Trojans will have to win the SBC tournament to go to the NCAA, even with only three losses (so far). Two games up on the field at this point to lock in the regular season NIT automatic bid.

yraciv

BPI is 67 though, 8th in the SEC. UALR BPI is 63rd for comparisons sake.

cc

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2016, 09:07:10 am
Yes, by Bielema's 5th season after rebuilding an 85 man football roster in the toughest football conference in the world, I would expect our program to be a Top 25 football program consistently.

In Mike's 5th season in a weak SEC basketball conference, I expect us to be better than where he has us.

This.  Unless the whole conference changes.  It will be much easier to be in top 5 in basketball than football if people want to compare the two.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: root_hawg on February 15, 2016, 08:52:20 pm

The Trojans just went up three full games in the Sun Belt with five games left to play. Looks pretty good for getting at least the automatic NIT slot.

MICHAELSPAPPY

The Trojans are now up three full games in the SBC with four regular season games to go, so the NIT automatic berth looks fairly safe.

Also, ESPN just listed Little Rock on their Bubble Watch as an outside chance for an NCAA at-large.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2016, 09:11:10 am

Currently 4-1 going into the last game of the season. I thought this team would end this year on a solid winning streak.

root_hawg

yawn, call me when we are a topic for the big dance

Razorpigg

Quote from: root_hawg on March 03, 2016, 09:24:52 am
yawn, call me when we are a topic for the big dance

yawn....Then why are you in the Jump Ball forum this year???

root_hawg

Just interested in what other folks are saying

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2016, 04:40:24 pm
I think there a lot more teams than that better than the Hogs, but their rpi's are lower because of their overall competition.

I don't think there are 111 teams actually better than Arkansas.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 03, 2016, 01:58:32 pm
I don't think there are 111 teams actually better than Arkansas.

No way.

Hoggish1

Whole bunch ahead of us we've beaten and a bazillion behind us.  Sad for all of them...

yraciv

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 03, 2016, 02:32:32 pm
Whole bunch ahead of us we've beaten and a bazillion behind us.  Sad for all of them...

We're 60th in BPI. Saving grace in my mind, and shows the weakness of RPI.  SEC is getting killed in RPI because of the lowest win percentage of road teams.

HogNDas

Quote from: yraciv on March 03, 2016, 07:22:05 pm
We're 60th in BPI. Saving grace in my mind, and shows the weakness of RPI.  SEC is getting killed in RPI because of the lowest win percentage of road teams.
unfortunately for us, the "committee" goes by RPI....Too bad the SEC is down.  I really believe with the new coaches in the league (TN, MSU, FL, AL) that the league will be way UP next year.  MSU has a top 5 class coming in.  OM has a new arena.  When the SEC gets better as a league, a 10-8 SEC record might mean an  invitation to the Big Dance.  Until our conference elevates itself, it only means a 112 RPI and hopefully an NIT bid. 
Don't get me wrong, Mike has done better than expectations this year.  We started the year with ZERO returning starters.   Auburn loss was disappointing, but the season is a grind.

VirginiaHog

Quote from: HogNDas on March 03, 2016, 07:47:22 pm
unfortunately for us, the "committee" goes by RPI....Too bad the SEC is down.  I really believe with the new coaches in the league (TN, MSU, FL, AL) that the league will be way UP next year.  MSU has a top 5 class coming in.  OM has a new arena.  When the SEC gets better as a league, a 10-8 SEC record might mean an  invitation to the Big Dance.  Until our conference elevates itself, it only means a 112 RPI and hopefully an NIT bid. 
Don't get me wrong, Mike has done better than expectations this year.  We started the year with ZERO returning starters.   Auburn loss was disappointing, but the season is a grind.
10-8 has little to do with our rpi and would be enough to get in if we won our non conference games. 7-6 is what killed us. 11-2 and 21- 10 would look much better.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: moses_007 on February 15, 2016, 02:18:26 am
Who cares what our RPI is?  We're a horrible team that can only win at Walton Arena.

Yeah the last 2 games prove you right that we can only win in Fayetteville doesn't it...Shut up until you have something intelligent to say.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.