Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most Valuable Rookie in MLB? This guy says Benintendi

Started by WizardofhOgZ, September 19, 2017, 11:11:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jackflash

jap66

Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2017, 09:03:58 am
will be hard for him to beat out Judge

Unfortunately I think you are right. 50 HR's is hard to ignore. Plus Judge plays for the Yankees.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2017, 09:03:58 am
will be hard for him to beat out Judge

This post is talking about who they think will be the most valuable rookie over their careers, not just this year and I obviously agree :)
SCREW Vandy!

Waldron_Hog

Most any other year AB would be the ROY. Not sure how many rookies are 20/20 guys (not many), but Judge is making history with the 50 HR.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 27, 2017, 03:18:18 pm
This post is talking about who they think will be the most valuable rookie over their careers, not just this year and I obviously agree :)

Yes - if the readers here would click and read the linked article, it is about long-range value vs. who will win the ROY (which we all know will be Judge).

HogFaninMemphis

Benintendi has a less volatile projection for his career, because he does most everything well.
Judge this year has been amazing, of course, but any time you have a guy that strikes out that much early in his career, there's the potential for a tipping point that would kill his value. Benintendi has a relatively low K% (yes, 16.6% is relatively low) and a good walk rate (10.8%). Those numbers are sustainable, as are his various advanced metrics. Here's my favorite baseball stats website, if you would like to go deeper:
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=17901&position=OF

All that said, I'm not going against the guy whose ceiling is like Reggie Jackson (no, he's not going to be Babe Ruth...).
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Iwastherein1969

typical ARK luck on these types of things...Benintendi is a better all around player, but the Yankee tradition along with a few other societal matters currently in the news will put Judge over the top against Little Ben...plus the HR derby thing...people are dazzled by BS, they can't see the forest for the trees....besides jersey sales, ask the managers of every ball club in the Majors who they'd rather have for the next 10 years, Little Ben wins in a landslide
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

jvanhorn

Benintendi and Whit Merrifield of the Royals are my kind of baseball players.  Give me 7 more players like them and you can keep your superstars.  These guys love the game, play hard and hustle every minute.  These are the kind of guys you want to go to the baseball wars with.