Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AZ State is not good

Started by Blutoblutarsky, November 23, 2012, 07:20:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nextlevel

LOUD NOISES.

Seriously tho, where was USC picked to finish in the Pac12 cause they must suck since they lost to Texas who lost to a DII school.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Smithian

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 09:05:22 pm
I'm actually surprised we haven't heard some of these tools say something like, "well, if Pelphrey would've left some talent, we would've won tonight."
Our guys ran off to Vegas to play in a tournament given zero attention on campus (everyone looking at LSU), probably had too much fun, and had a rough early season game. Life will be fine.

But I will troll nonstop these next few days if we drop another one tomorrow.

The Hogfather

I don't care where any team was picked.  I didn't have a clue as to where ASU was picked.  I have seen Arkansas play all their games and I saw the game tonight.  ASU is not a good team, based on what I saw tonight + looking at scores from their other games.  Arkansas has some major issues and I don't see us being consistently good.  We'll have good games and bad games.  And, given our tougher schedule this year, I think we'll likely end up around 18 wins, as we did last season.

nextlevel

You care where Arizona St was picked, care a great deal.

This is a young team, all you should be saying, said it every year for Pel.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

The Hogfather

Quote from: Smithian on November 23, 2012, 09:13:44 pm
Our guys ran off to Vegas to play in a tournament given zero attention on campus (everyone looking at LSU), probably had too much fun, and had a rough early season game. Life will be fine.

But I will troll nonstop these next few days if we drop another one tomorrow.

I do see some talent on our team.  I just think most of it is too raw.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 09:09:58 pm
You're a [CENSORED] idiot.  I told you that I've seen every game Arkansas has played so far and I watched the game tonight.  ASU is not a good team AND they beat us by as much as they best UCA by and by MORE than they beat a horrible 2-4 Cornell team by.  PLUS, they are picked at the bottom of the Pac-12.
Again, each game is different. By your logic, UCA would beat us. I can promise we would be UCA by 20+. We had a bad game. Everyone does. If we come out and keep it within single digits of Creighton or Wisconsin what will you say?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 09:09:58 pm
You're a [CENSORED] idiot.  I told you that I've seen every game Arkansas has played so far and I watched the game tonight.  ASU is not a good team AND they beat us by as much as they best UCA by and by MORE than they beat a horrible 2-4 Cornell team by.  PLUS, they are picked at the bottom of the Pac-12.

You're argument is that they aren't good because their margin of victory isn't enough. They're undefeated. They're no such thing as style points.

BTW, their average margin of victory is 17 points this season. That's your whole argument for me. We may not be as good as many had hoped/thought/predicted/projected, but if you're telling me ASU isn't possibly better than many had thought/predicted/projected because they're only beating teams by 17 points a night.....I don't know what to tell you. Jahii Carson was a top 10 PG out of HS, their center is averaging a double double and leading the country in blocks, and Herb Sendek is a good coach. Sue me for acknowledging the possibility that this might not be the worst team in the Pac-12. That Colorado team that was picked to finish last in the Pac-12 last year certainly did okay for themselves....

I think we lose tomorrow night no matter who we play (I was on the fence pending the performance in this game), but I think ASU will give the team they play a handful. I see it being a relatively close game. But even if it isn't, they could still be better than people thought. They took a step in that direction tonight. This could be a very important win on their resume in March.

The Hogfather

Quote from: nextlevel on November 23, 2012, 09:19:04 pm
You care where Arizona St was picked, care a great deal.

This is a young team, all you should be saying, said it every year for Pel.

I didn't know where they were picked until I heard it on here AFTER we were down by 15 in the 2nd half of tonight's game.

Smithian

Anyone thinking of blowing their brains out over this loss should go ahead and do the world a favor and do it.  It's basketball people. If the Hogs lose again tomorrow I can promise you nobody's going to be dragged out in the street and executed by the internet police.

Geez. It's early in the season. Calm the heck down.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 23, 2012, 09:19:49 pm
You're argument is that they aren't good because their margin of victory isn't enough. They're undefeated. They're no such thing as style points.

What the Frank are you talking about?  My argument is that they aren't very good because I watched them play and they didn't look very good + we didn't play any defense + they didn't beat teams like Cornell/UCA by 20+.  It is ALL of that, but MOSTLY that I watched them play against Arkansas tonight and they didn't look good at all.

nextlevel

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 09:20:07 pm
I didn't know where they were picked until I heard it on here AFTER we were down by 15 in the 2nd half of tonight's game.

OK, well instead of focusing on all the negatives, harp about the top10 recruiting class, non stop, Mike has coming next year, again something you did when Pel was here.

ell oh ell

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Smithian on November 23, 2012, 09:22:49 pm
Anyone thinking of blowing their brains out over this loss should go ahead and do the world a favor and do it.  It's basketball people. If the Hogs lose again tomorrow I can promise you nobody's going to be dragged out in the street and executed by the internet police.

Jumpball will never change.

Never.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Smithian on November 23, 2012, 09:22:49 pm

Funny thing is, you're probably talking to me and I'm not even worried about this season.  I think we'll get better as the season goes on.  The only thing I'm freaking out about is the fact that people are so hell bent on making sure nobody hints at criticism of MA, that they are trying to act like ASU is a good team this year.  That ASU team is not good.

The Hogfather

Quote from: nextlevel on November 23, 2012, 09:24:37 pm
OK, well instead of focusing on all the negatives, harp about the top10 recruiting class, non stop, Mike has coming next year, again something you did when Pel was here.

I have and you haven't been paying attention.  Again, I just call it as I see it.  I see our future as very bright under Anderson.  We just suck ass right now and ASU isn't a good basketball team.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 09:23:09 pm
What the Frank are you talking about?  My argument is that they aren't very good because I watched them play and they didn't look very good + we didn't play any defense + they didn't beat teams like Cornell/UCA by 20+.  It is ALL of that, but MOSTLY that I watched them play against Arkansas tonight and they didn't look good at all.

They didn't look that bad to me. Hit open 3s (a few not open), big man controlled the paint, dictated tempo (got help from the refs, though), shot well from the floor. Yeah, our defense was pretty bad in the 2nd half, but the 1st half was closely contested and they looked okay. Didn't look like what I expected. They looked better than 11th in the Pac. We'll see how it shakes out.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 09:26:18 pm
Funny thing is, you're probably talking to me and I'm not even worried about this season.  I think we'll get better as the season goes on.  The only thing I'm freaking out about is the fact that people are so hell bent on making sure nobody hints at criticism of MA, that they are trying to act like ASU is a good team this year.  That ASU team is not good.

Actually, I'm literally the only person that has given ASU any kind of props, so don't put that on anyone else.

You and a number of others are painting a doom and gloom picture pretty early in the season and that's probably what has people taking you to task or trying to get you chill out.

The Hogfather

Painting a doom and gloom picture?  I have just been saying ASU isn't good and we obviously aren't right now, either.  That doesn't mean we're destined to be horrible for the entire season.  We just have a lot of work to do.

pigture perfect

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 09:27:11 pm
I have and you haven't been paying attention.  Again, I just call it as I see it.  I see our future as very bright under Anderson.  We just suck ass right now and ASU isn't a good basketball team.
take a quarter stick of butter. Microwave it til melted and pour it into a sniffer of Brandy. Sip and relax.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 09:41:10 pm
Painting a doom and gloom picture?  I have just been saying ASU isn't good and we obviously aren't right now, either.  That doesn't mean we're destined to be horrible for the entire season.  We just have a lot of work to do.
You said we will not make the NCAAT this year, won't win as many as last year, and may not even win 10 games all in this thread. How is that not doom and gloom after one game?

By the way, we beat Longwood by 49 and Florida A&M by 29. Longwood beat A&M today. How does that work? This cannot be right, because by your logic you can compare scores from other games despite them being completely irrelevant.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 23, 2012, 10:24:10 pm
You said we will not make the NCAAT this year, won't win as many as last year, and may not even win 10 games all in this thread. How is that not doom and gloom after one game?

Talk about stretching....

The Hogfather

Also, I've seen Arkansas play 4 times, not just once.  We have some major deficiencies.  I think we'll get better throughout the season.  However, with a tougher schedule, I see us with about the same win total as last season, which likely means no NCAAT. 

RockChalkJayhawk

ASU isn't a great team, but any time you allow somebody to do what they want to do, you are asking for trouble.

It's difficult to be impressed with Arkansas after this game.  However, it IS November, first road-trip, holiday away from home, new combinations of kids learning to play together etc... not making excuses, but there are many legit factors that play into a game like that.  Factors that create teaching and learning opportunities for moving forward. 

• Powell plays 18 minutes and scores 2 points.  Obviously, that isn't going to cut it.
• BJ took 24 shots.  Too many.
• Hogs allowed ASU 20-36 on the ft line.  36 foul shots is atrocious, but even worse, it lets an opponent rest and regroup.
• Out-rebounded 40-31
• FG% ASU 56  Hogs 40

ASU controlled the 2nd half.  My biggest concern is how Arkansas played once they fell behind, and these kids are going to have to learn they cannot play that way and be successful.  Jacking bad shots, fouling, forcing, being impatient offensively while reaching and being out of position defensively in a bad combination.  Some of those shots fall at home, and that was a problem last year - the Hogs could not take their game on the road and win.

Arkansas has depth in terms of numbers, but I don't see much quality depth.  It seems most of these kids feel they need to make a shot (which they miss) or steal the ball (then they foul) to make a contribution, which is typical for new kids.  They will have to learn to compliment each other, which comes with time and experience.

BJ is a nice player, but somebody else is going to have to step up, and that is what worries me for the long haul.  Madden has a lot of potential and needs to assert himself more in my view.  The new post-players aren't the answer in terms of points unless they are on the offensive boards.  They lack moves.  Mickelson is just lost, on both ends of the floor.

So, will this team run hot and cold, or learn to become solid at staples like rebounding, half-court defense, and quality shot-selection?  For me, those are the issues.  Good teams don't take bad shots, they play very solid half-court defense, and they rebound the basketball, and we saw a sample of this tonight.  ASU isn't terrible by any stretch, but they looked better than they are with considerable help from an Arkansas team that is still in the process of finding itself.

When you look at the big picture, ASU is as good now as they will be in February.  Arkansas has much room for improvement, which hopefully comes soon, given this stretch of the schedule.

Danny J

^^^^^Agreed. Team D is terrible overall but transition D especially is bad. MA has to remember that away from home you are not going to be allowed to reach and grab and bump. You have to step it back a bit. We should have been able to beat ASU playing half court and pushing it when we could. We would score in transition and they would beat us back down the court because we were trying to set up a trap. Also...our guards out high need to play off some and quit trying to steal the ball when out of position. We were getting beat off the dribble every time. Just lay off a bit and force them to shoot over top. Instead they were driving and kicking for open shots after help was forced to come.

Our team and philosophy is built on D. When you play good D we are going to win. Play bad D and you get beat.

We will be fine. The team needs time to gel in order to be good on D. They will get there.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 10:34:04 pm
Also, I've seen Arkansas play 4 times, not just once.  We have some major deficiencies.  I think we'll get better throughout the season.  However, with a tougher schedule, I see us with about the same win total as last season, which likely means no NCAAT. 
Who cares how many times you have seen them. are you the only person who has season tickets? I have seen them 6 times if you count the exhibition games.

LumberBacks

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on November 23, 2012, 11:14:53 pm
Our team and philosophy is built on D, making transition baskets and making 3s. When you play good D we are going to win. Play bad D and you get beat.  When you have no half court game, you will probably get beat, too.  We have no half court game offensively or defensively.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 07:20:10 am
Who cares how many times you have seen them. are you the only person who has season tickets? I have seen them 6 times if you count the exhibition games.

I have as well.  I wasn't counting the exhibition games.  Those are no measure of how good a team is.  The point is, I've seen enough to realize we have some major faults with this team.  I'm not basing my opinion of our team on 1 lackluster game.  Also, I'm not basing my opinion of ASU only on their margin of victory against teams like Cornell/UCA.  I can see that they aren't very good by watching them play last night.  They are a very average PAC-12 team.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 24, 2012, 08:25:10 am
I have as well.  I wasn't counting the exhibition games.  Those are no measure of how good a team is.  The point is, I've seen enough to realize we have some major faults with this team.  I'm not basing my opinion of our team on 1 lackluster game.  Also, I'm not basing my opinion of ASU only on their margin of victory against teams like Cornell/UCA.  I can see that they aren't very good by watching them play last night.  They are a very average PAC-12 team.
So it is ok to base your opinion on ASU after one game?

If by some chance they come out and give Creighton a good game, or win, will your opinion remain the same?

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 08:27:21 am

If by some chance they come out and give Creighton a good game, or win, will your opinion remain the same?

No, I'm not basing my entire opinion on 1 game.  I've explained that at least 34 times. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 08:27:21 am

My opinion of them is that they are an average PAC-12 team.  That will not change after tonight.  Any team can have a bad game.  Remember?

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 24, 2012, 08:31:44 am
My opinion of them is that they are an average PAC-12 team.  That will not change after tonight.  Any team can have a bad game.  Remember?
If Creighton loses tonight are they a bad team because they lost to a below average ASU team? Just curious.

It is our 4th game. Every team in the country has proven they have flaws. Most considered us a bubble team coming in. Bubble teams typically lose a few games they shouldn't.

The Hogfather

No.  I've seen Creighton play several times and they are a good team.  If they lose to ASU, it means they had a horrible game.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 24, 2012, 09:01:29 am
No.  I've seen Creighton play several times and they are a good team.  If they lose to ASU, it means they had a horrible game.
So since you have such a great knowledge on all of these teams, what is your prediction on the game tonight? It is easy to come back after the game, but what do you say will happen before?

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 09:05:59 am
So since you have such a great knowledge on all of these teams, what is your prediction on the game tonight? It is easy to come back after the game, but what do you say will happen before?

You tell me.  I've given my opinion on both teams and said that if Creighton loses to ASU, they had a horrible game.  So, you tell me.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 24, 2012, 09:07:40 am
You tell me.  I've given my opinion on both teams and said that if Creighton loses to ASU, they had a horrible game.  So, you tell me.
I am talking about the Arkansas game. What is your prediction for tonight?

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 09:10:34 am

I think we'll get beat.  I don't think we're a very good team right now.  I think Wisconsin is a decent team and very disciplined.  They'll control the ball and make us pay in the half court. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 09:10:34 am

What is your prediction?

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 24, 2012, 09:12:06 am
I think we'll get beat.  I don't think we're a very good team right now.  I think Wisconsin is a decent team and very disciplined.  They'll control the ball and make us pay in the half court. 
Not really going out on a limb there. Based on all your comments, you don't even think we will be competitive.

jry04

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 09:17:31 am
Not really going out on a limb there. Based on all your comments, you don't even think we will be competitive.

Why do I have to go out on a limb?  I think we'll lose tonight.  You're such a troll.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 24, 2012, 09:20:33 am
Why do I have to go out on a limb?  I think we'll lose tonight.  You're such a troll.
According to you, we are a bad team. Wisconsin is not a bad team, so we should lose by 20+ because we lost by 15 to ASU, right? I think we lose by single digits.i wouldn't be surprised if we win, though. I don't see us shooting that bad again, and I am hoping the refs let us play a little bit. When there are 46 fouls, our style is ineffective. If they stop calling the bs touch fouls every trip down the court, then we have a shot.

It was clear that ASU couldn't hang with us when we controlled the tempo. Unfortunately, every time we would make a run there would be a flurry of fouls leading to half the players that were in having to go to the bench with foul trouble.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 09:29:50 am
According to you, we are a bad team. Wisconsin is not a bad team, so we should lose by 20+ because we lost by 15 to ASU, right? I think we lose by single digits.i wouldn't be surprised if we win, though. I don't see us shooting that bad again, and I am hoping the refs let us play a little bit. When there are 46 fouls, our style is ineffective. If they stop calling the bs touch fouls every trip down the court, then we have a shot.

I don't play the "we lost by 15 to an average ASU team and Wisconsin is better than ASU, so we should lose by 28+" game, no matter how many times you try to imply that I do.

I'd say there is a better chance of us losing by 20+ than us winning the game, though.

The Hogfather

By the way, I just looked at the lines.  We opened as a 9.5-point underdog to Wisconsin and ASU opened as a 13-point underdog to Creighton.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 09:29:50 am

It was clear that ASU couldn't hang with us when we controlled the tempo. Unfortunately, every time we would make a run there would be a flurry of fouls leading to half the players that were in having to go to the bench with foul trouble.

OR, guys can learn to play defense with their feet and not their hands.  OR guys can learn to adjust to the officiating.

It's really simple.  If the game is being called in a tight fashion, then you adjust.  Sure, you're going to get an occasional poor call that you disagree with.  And, if Arkansas isn't fouling on occasion, then they are not being aggressive enough.  However, stupid, over-excessive fouling negates pressure and hustle, and it undermines the style of play.

I don't care who a team is playing, you put the opponent on the foul line 36 times, you are asking to get beat.  And, along with providing them with 36 free opportunities to score, fouling at this rate allows an opponent to rest and regroup.  This, along with media time-outs, prevent anyone from getting worn down and completely nullifies Arkansas' intended style of attack.

Road blues are going to continue until these kids learn to play better and smarter defense.  And, the bad defense in the second half was a by-product of poor shot-selection offensively, which had zero to do with how the game was officiated.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 24, 2012, 09:33:56 am
I don't play the "we lost by 15 to an average ASU team and Wisconsin is better than ASU, so we should lose by 28+" game, no matter how many times you try to imply that I do.

I'd say there is a better chance of us losing by 20+ than us winning the game, though.

Gotta agree with this analysis.  First of all the final deficit of the ASU game is a bit misleading as the game was actually tighter than that for quite awhile.  It could have easily been a single-digit deficit, which I know doesn't matter, but for the bean-counters I suppose it's relevant.

The Hogs are going to need a first half this evening ala their first half vs Michigan last year.  Otherwise, I feel they are going to have problems scoring and rebounding, which will prevent setting up any pressure.  And I do not see Arkansas out-executing Wisconsin in a half-court basketball game.

jry04

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 24, 2012, 09:48:38 am
OR, guys can learn to play defense with their feet and not their hands.  OR guys can learn to adjust to the officiating.

It's really simple.  If the game is being called in a tight fashion, then you adjust.  Sure, you're going to get an occasional poor call that you disagree with.  And, if Arkansas isn't fouling on occasion, then they are not being aggressive enough.  However, stupid, over-excessive fouling negates pressure and hustle, and it undermines the style of play.

I don't care who a team is playing, you put the opponent on the foul line 36 times, you are asking to get beat.  And, along with providing them with 36 free opportunities to score, fouling at this rate allows an opponent to rest and regroup.  This, along with media time-outs, prevent anyone from getting worn down and completely nullifies Arkansas' intended style of attack.

Road blues are going to continue until these kids learn to play better and smarter defense.  And, the bad defense in the second half was a by-product of poor shot-selection offensively, which had zero to do with how the game was officiated.
and that goes with what I said last night. This team has to learn that pressing for 40 minutes does not mean they have to reach in and try to get steals every possession. Just applying pressure will force the opposing team to make mistakes throughout the game.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 24, 2012, 09:01:29 am

So, basically, no matter what, ASU is a bad team?

Beating Arkansas and Creighton (top 15 team) on back-to-back nights couldn't possibly mean they could be a decent team?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 24, 2012, 10:01:38 am
So, basically, no matter what, ASU is a bad team?

Beating Arkansas and Creighton (top 15 team) on back-to-back nights couldn't possibly mean they could be a decent team?

As I already said, if ASU beats Creighton, Creighton had a horrible game.

rude1

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 09:55:21 am
and that goes with what I said last night. This team has to learn that pressing for 40 minutes does not mean they have to reach in and try to get steals every possession. Just applying pressure will force the opposing team to make mistakes throughout the game.
^^This. Way too many bad fouls last night. I don' tthink the game was called closely at all. Our guys were just committing some atrocious fouls. I lost count on how many fouls we picked up from attempting to body the ball handler up the court, that's going to get called every time, move your feet and get in front of him or let him go. The press isn't intended to steal the ball on every possession, reaching in and slapping is going to do nothing but put you over the limit early. The intent of the press is to speed the other team up, make them make rushed passes, anticipate the pass and make the steal off your defensive rotation. Then again I have yet to see this team play any aspect of defensive basketball well.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: rude1 on November 24, 2012, 10:05:13 am
^^This. Way too many bad fouls last night. I don' tthink the game was called closely at all. Our guys were just committing some atrocious fouls. I lost count on how many fouls we picked up from attempting to body the ball handler up the court, that's going to get called every time, move your feet and get in front of him or let him go. The press isn't intended to steal the ball on every possession, reaching in and slapping is going to do nothing but put you over the limit early. The intent of the press is to speed the other team up, make them make rushed passes, anticipate the pass and make the steal off your defensive rotation. Then again I have yet to see this team play any aspect of defensive basketball well.

My one point of contention with this style of defense is this:  you don't need to speed up fast teams.  They come to you sped-up.

Sometimes you just have to contain people.  For example, the ASU point-guard.  That kid got to the rack at will, which is inexcusable given the fact he can't throw it in the ocean.   It's ridiculous how many drive and pitch situations created open shots for ASU players who could not create the same look off the dribble one-on-one.  This is the result of too much ball pressure and exactly why there was so much fouling.

This style is very effective against slower, more organized teams with marginal guards.  And it's very good at the Bud.  Not saying this team can't win playing this style, but they are going to have to play it without beating themselves.

Sorry, just color me frustrated with what I saw last night.