Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AZ State is not good

Started by Blutoblutarsky, November 23, 2012, 07:20:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blutoblutarsky

November 23, 2012, 07:20:32 pm Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:35:30 pm by Blutoblutarsky
We don't look too good tonight. Picked bottom of PAC easy

Dogtown Donkey

Everyone is saying they aren't good because of where they were projected to finish. It's entirely possible that the experts were wrong about them. They seem pretty solid to me.

This is a game I thought we'd win, but they could be better than advertised.

Blutoblutarsky

Naaa we just don't have scorers and our defense is garbage

dsims2k3

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on November 23, 2012, 07:36:15 pm

Basketball is a game of match ups. This time we're on the short end of the stick.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Danny J

Our defense is terrible especially transition D. We score and they break the press for easy baskets and fouls. It should have been clear to MA to stop pressing and just play half court. We are fouling way too much forcing us to zone and our zone D is horrific.

Just going to take some time for this team to figure it out. We are going to play well at home off the crowd and play bad on the road. We need some mental toughness.

Dogtown Donkey

That's certainly true for this game.

But that doesn't make them a bad team. They look pretty salty. Look like a team that knows everyone expects them to be the 11th best team in their conference.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on November 23, 2012, 07:41:06 pm
Our defense is terrible especially transition D. We score and they break the press for easy baskets and fouls. It should have been clear to MA to stop pressing and just play half court. We are fouling way too much forcing us to zone and our zone D is horrific.

Just going to take some time for this team to figure it out. We are going to play well at home off the crowd and play bad on the road. We need some mental toughness.

Completely agree.  I think our defense has been horrible.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 23, 2012, 07:42:55 pm
That's certainly true for this game.

But that doesn't make them a bad team. They look pretty salty. Look like a team that knows everyone expects them to be the 11th best team in their conference.

They look salty because we're playing horrible defense.  That is not a good team.  We aren't very good....AGAIN.

Blutoblutarsky

I mean. We're getting BLOWN OUT by a bottom feeder. A team that beat a Longwood type team by 6. 6!!!!

JonClaudeVanHam

Count me as a little worried. Az St is killing us. All we're doing on offense is jacking up 3's.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 07:43:58 pm
They look salty because we're playing horrible defense.  That is not a good team.  We aren't very good....AGAIN.

Marshawn Powell, an All-SEC projected forward, can't score on their center. That PG was very highly rated out of HS.

Face it, they have some talent. Herb Sendek is also a good coach. It's possible the experts got it wrong. Way too early to have your mind made up on a team that is beating a team picked to finish in the upper half of the SEC.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 23, 2012, 07:47:39 pm
Marshawn Powell, an All-SEC projected forward, can't score on their center. That PG was very highly rated out of HS.

Face it, they have some talent. Herb Sendek is also a good coach. It's possible the experts got it wrong. Way too early to have your mind made up on a team that is beating a team picked to finish in the upper half of the SEC.

Yeah, good enough talent to beat 2-4 Cornell by 11 and UCA by 15.  They're beating us by 15.  You're making my point.  ASU is not good and we are even worse right now.  I have no doubt we'll get better, but this is horrible and it isn't because ASU is "salty".

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 07:50:50 pm
Yeah, good enough talent to beat 2-4 Cornell by 11 and UCA by 15.  They're beating us by 15. You're making my point.  ASU is not good and we are even worse right now.  I have no doubt we'll get better, but this is horrible and it isn't because ASU is "salty".

That is horrible logic and will bite you in the ass. I could pull up multiple scores like that that ultimately prove nothing. That's simpleton logic.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 23, 2012, 07:55:55 pm
That is horrible logic and will bite you in the ass. I could pull up multiple scores like that that ultimately prove nothing. That's simpleton logic.

Dude, you're the simpleton saying that anyone who thinks ASU isn't a good basketball team is due to reading preseason predictions.  I'm watching them play tonight + looking at their results against bad teams and making my conclusion.  They are not a good basketball team and we're even worse right now.

Danny J

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 07:50:50 pm
Yeah, good enough talent to beat 2-4 Cornell by 11 and UCA by 15.  They're beating us by 15.  You're making my point.  ASU is not good and we are even worse right now.  I have no doubt we'll get better, but this is horrible and it isn't because ASU is "salty".
I agree and the MAIN problem I see right now is we are not playing as a team. Their is no communication. We are out of position a lot. Our guards are being beat badly off the dribble just like last year. That is forcing doubles and fouls. Just mass confusion.

The only positive tonight is we face adversity early in the season. I am glad we have 4 tough games after this one. We aren't going to get better play Longwood and Sam houston state.

william.lane123

Anyone who thinks this team is a NCAA team, needs their head examined!

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on November 23, 2012, 07:20:32 pm
We don't look too good tonight. Picked bottom of PAC easy
News Flash.. Razorbacks are not good ...

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 07:58:09 pm
Dude, you're the simpleton saying that anyone who thinks ASU isn't a good basketball team is due to reading preseason predictions.  I'm watching them play tonight + looking at their results against bad teams and making my conclusion.  They are not a good basketball team and we're even worse right now.

If they win tomorrow or lose by less than 10 points, will you stop posting in Jumpball until conference play?

I'll do the same if they don't.

Deal?

Blutoblutarsky

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 23, 2012, 08:01:23 pm
If they win tomorrow or lose by less than 10 points, will you stop posting in Jumpball until conference play?

I'll do the same if they don't.

Deal?

I apologize for being pessimistic. It's been a tough day.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on November 23, 2012, 08:06:35 pm
I apologize for being pessimistic. It's been a tough day.

Pessimist away.

My business is with the other one. Can't take him anymore.

The Hogfather

Get over it.  I'm not doing darn, but calling a spade a spade.  We aren't good right now and ASU isn't either.  Just because they beat us, doesn't mean they're "salty".  They aren't very good. 

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:11:26 pm
Get over it.  I'm not doing darn, but calling a spade a spade.  We aren't good right now and ASU isn't either.  Just because they beat us, doesn't mean they're "salty".  They aren't very good.

So.....not willing to put your money with your mouth is then?

Gotcha.

That would make you a chicken chit. And that would mean I'm just calling a spade a spade.

I mean, those a pretty generous conditions. 10 points in basketball is nothing. You can lose relatively a close game in basketball by 10 or more points. Don't be scared, homie. It's a day or so until church...

jry04

Hard to get in a rhythm when there are 46 fouls called. Powell played what, 15 minutes?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 23, 2012, 08:15:25 pm
So.....not willing to put your money with your mouth is then?

Gotcha.

That would make you a chicken chit. And that would mean I'm just calling a spade a spade.

I mean, those a pretty generous conditions. 10 points in basketball is nothing. You can lose relatively a close game in basketball by 10 or more points. Don't be scared, homie. It's a day or so until church...

How about this, [CENSORED]?  I won't post for a year if Arizona State makes it past the 2nd round of the NCAAT (I don't think they'll even make the Tourney at all) and you don't post for a year if they don't.  Deal, [CENSORED]?

Danny J

Quote from: william.lane123 on November 23, 2012, 07:58:44 pm
Anyone who thinks this team is a NCAA team, needs their head examined!
We certainly aren't right now. We should look a lot better come the first of February. We are going to have struggles. Remember this team is playing 8 new players including Powell together for the first time against decent competition.

We also need to get the rotations down. Also...MA needs to try and limit the pressing against teams that are fundamentally sound and can handle the ball. We can't play zone right now against decent teams. Just not going to work. So that means we have to stay out of foul trouble which means we have to limit the press at times. This team could be decent half court team. Remember the teams Nolan had the most success with played a lot of half court. Just slow it down at times and regroup. We got hit in the mouth and just started swinging wildly.

PS....BJ is one of the best players in the country. He is right now a for sure 1st round pick.

Danny J

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 23, 2012, 08:18:26 pm
Hard to get in a rhythm when there are 46 fouls called. Powell played what, 15 minutes?
I agree and that goes to my point above about not getting away with a lot of those fouls on the road or away from home. We need 2 more big men badly.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:19:36 pm
How about this, [CENSORED]?  I won't post for a year if Arizona State makes it past the 2nd round of the NCAAT (I don't think they'll even make the Tourney at all) and you don't post for a year if they don't.  Deal, [CENSORED]?

Yeah, you're scared.

I say they may not be as bad people thought they'd be and now you're talking about the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament?? Jesus, there are good teams that only make it to the NIT. I didn't say they were a friggin' Sweet 16 team. Talk about going to extremes.

Might be better than originally thought = Sweet 16?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 23, 2012, 08:27:03 pm
Yeah, you're scared.

I say they may not be as bad people thought they'd be and now you're talking about the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament?? Jesus, there are good teams that only make it to the NIT. I didn't say they were a friggin' Sweet 16 team. Talk about going to extremes.

Might be better than originally thought = Sweet 16?

Didn't think so, [CENSORED].  Have fun making up excuses for why we still suck arse.

nextlevel

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:28:14 pm
Didn't think so, [CENSORED].  Have fun making up excuses about why we still suck arse.

We could recycle some of your excuses from the Pel era, plenty to choose from.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

The Hogfather

Quote from: nextlevel on November 23, 2012, 08:30:54 pm
We could recycle some of your excuses from the Pel era, plenty to choose from.

Sure.  If that's what you want to spend your time doing...go ahead.  Point is, we're still no better now than we were back then.

The Hogfather

And, that sure as hell doesn't make ASU any better.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:28:14 pm
Didn't think so, [CENSORED].  Have fun making up excuses about why we still suck arse.

Haven't made a single excuse about how we played tonight. Even by saying ASU might be better than people think, they're not 15 points better than us. We played horrible tonight. I just don't think that's a good representation of how good we are as a team. I don't think the sky is necessarily falling. It's the 4th game of the season. They kicked our butts tonight, no excuses. Even if they are as bad as people say they are, they still kicked out butts.

I offered you a reasonable bet and you countered with a ridiculous one (which, honestly, shouldn't have surprised me).

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 23, 2012, 08:35:17 pm
Haven't made a single excuse about how we played tonight. Even by saying ASU might be better than people think, they're not 15 points better than us. We played horrible tonight. I just don't think that's a good representation of how good we are as a team. I don't think the sky is necessarily falling. It's the 4th game of the season. They kicked our butts tonight, no excuses. Even if they are as bad as people say they are, they still kicked out butts.

I offered you a reasonable bet and you countered with a ridiculous one (which, honestly, shouldn't have surprised me).

I think they're an average-to-bad team and we're even worse right now.  We'll get better as the year goes on, but ASU is not good.

jry04

If we come out and beat a better Wisconsin or Creighton team tomorrow, then everyone will forget tonight. We shot terrible, the refs were terrible, and AZ State couldn't miss. I don't think tonight is going to be a performance we have too often.

The Hogfather

If we can't beat ASU (let alone stay within 15), we are not going to stay close to Creighton and probably not Wisconsin, either.  We're not going to be too good for awhile, I'm afraid.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:37:52 pm
I think they're an average-to-bad team and we're even worse right now.  We'll get better as the year goes on, but ASU is not good.
You are going off emotions from the game. You are going to look like a complete fool if you keep saying this. We are not going to shoot 39%, Powell have 2 fouls in the first few minutes, and the opposing team shoot 56% all in the same game too many times again. Combine that with the refs being absolutely awful.

nextlevel

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:39:41 pm
If we can't beat ASU (let alone stay within 15), we are not going to stay close to Creighton and probably not Wisconsin, either.  We're not going to be too good for awhile, I'm afraid.

Texas lost to Chaminade so they can't expect to beat any division 1 teams after losing to a DII school.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

The Hogfather

Quote from: nextlevel on November 23, 2012, 08:45:29 pm
Texas lost to Chaminade so they can't expect to beat any division 1 teams after losing to a DII school.

I don't give a darn about Texas.  I'm talking about Arkansas and their opponent tonight, ASU.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:39:41 pm
Do you even watch basketball? You sound like a complete idiot right now. It is college basketball. Anything can happen on any night. Butler lost to a mediocre Xavier team and took a miraculous shot to beat a mediocre Marquette team. Then, they beat a top 10 UNC team by double digits.

South Alabama won @ FSU, and then lost 3 straight games to the likes of Tennessee Tech, Georgia State, and Monmouth.

Just because we looked terrible today, doesn't mean we won't come out tomorrow and win.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 23, 2012, 08:42:43 pm
You are going off emotions from the game. You are going to look like a complete fool if you keep saying this. We are not going to shoot 39%, Powell have 2 fouls in the first few minutes, and the opposing team shoot 56% all in the same game too many times again. Combine that with the refs being absolutely awful.

Hope not, because we won't win but 10 games this season.  I'm not going off emotion.  ASU is not a good team and we got dominated by them tonight, from start to finish.  You can say we won't play that bad too often, but that's just pure speculation, just like you say I'm doing.  I think, due to our lack of size, we will get in foul trouble early quite often, if we continue to press like Mike likes to.  Powell gets 1-2 cheap fouls every game.  He reaches a lot.  After him, we don't have too many scorers, outside of BJ.  With the way we gave up easy looks all night, I'm not too excited about the near future of Hog basketball.  This team will have to improve dramatically to finish with 20+ wins with the schedule we have.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:49:17 pm
I don't give a darn about Texas.  I'm talking about Arkansas and their opponent tonight, ASU.
Sounds about right. Your logic is proven to be completely flawed, and you come back with this response.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:53:14 pm
Hope not, because we won't win but 10 games this season.  I'm not going off emotion.  ASU is not a good team and we got dominated by them tonight, from start to finish.  You can say we won't play that bad too often, but that's just pure speculation, just like you say I'm doing.  I think, due to our lack of size, we will get in foul trouble early quite often, if we continue to press like Mike likes to.  Powell gets 1-2 cheap fouls every game.  He reaches a lot.  After him, we don't have too many scorers, outside of BJ.  With the way we gave up easy looks all night, I'm not too excited about the near future of Hog basketball.  This team will have to improve dramatically to finish with 20+ wins with the schedule we have.
It is 1 freaking game. We lost to Houston in our 3rd game of the season last year, and went on to win 18 games. This team is much better than that team. I am with Donkey on this one. If we keep it within 10 tomorrow, you shouldn't post in here anymore. We will have 10 wins going into conference play.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 23, 2012, 08:52:58 pm
Do you even watch basketball? You sound like a complete idiot right now. It is college basketball. Anything can happen on any night. Butler lost to a mediocre Xavier team and took a miraculous shot to beat a mediocre Marquette team. Then, they beat a top 10 UNC team by double digits.

South Alabama won @ FSU, and then lost 3 straight games to the likes of Tennessee Tech, Georgia State, and Monmouth.

Just because we looked terrible today, doesn't mean we won't come out tomorrow and win.

It is not that we lost to an average Pac-12 team that has me worried.  It is the way we lost and the things I saw tonight that happened all of last season as well.  It is the numerous things I saw in the 1st 3 games, but were overshadowed because we had enough talent to "out-talent" our opponents.  The things we saw tonight aren't new things.  You can call me an idiot or say I'm making a knee-jerk reaction, but you're wrong on both accounts.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 23, 2012, 08:56:14 pm
It is 1 freaking game. We lost to Houston in our 3rd game of the season last year, and went on to win 18 games. This team is much better than that team. I am with Donkey on this one. If we keep it within 10 tomorrow, you shouldn't post in here anymore.

Our schedule this year is 10X harder than last year's, so even if we are better (I do think we'll end up being better towards the end of the season), it likely won't show in our record.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 23, 2012, 08:56:30 pm
It is not that we lost to an average Pac-12 team that has me worried.  It is the way we lost and the things I saw tonight that happened all of last season as well.  It is the numerous things I saw in the 1st 3 games, but were overshadowed because we had enough talent to "out-talent" our opponents.  The things we saw tonight aren't new things.  You can call me an idiot or say I'm making a knee-jerk reaction, but you're wrong on both accounts.
It looks like that would be accurate on both accounts.

The Hogfather

And losing to Houston last season didn't make them good.  It made us bad.

Smithian

The Hogfather

Quote from: Smithian on November 23, 2012, 09:00:30 pm
Fire Pelphrey!

8)

I'm actually surprised we haven't heard some of these tools say something like, "well, if Pelphrey would've left some talent, we would've won tonight."

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 23, 2012, 08:52:58 pm

......and there's that bite in the ass I told you that simpleton logic would get you, Hogfather.

The Hogfather

You're a [CENSORED] idiot.  I told you that I've seen every game Arkansas has played so far and I watched the game tonight.  ASU is not a good team AND they beat us by as much as they best UCA by and by MORE than they beat a horrible 2-4 Cornell team by.  PLUS, they are picked at the bottom of the Pac-12.