Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pat Fording this: NCAA-investigating-auburn-football-program

Started by jbcarol, November 21, 2012, 03:03:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Chizik is overseeing a program being investigated by the NCAA, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

QuoteAccording to multiple sources, NCAA investigators have spent weeks looking into potential improprieties involving Auburn recruits, players, coaches, representatives of the school's athletic interests and third parties. Assistant coaches Trooper Taylor and Curtis Luper have been scrutinized by the NCAA, sources said. Taylor is the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach, while Luper coaches running backs and is the recruiting coordinator.

Both Taylor and Luper were taken off the road recruiting several weeks ago amid the NCAA probe, sources said. Taylor was a finalist this season for national Assistant Coach of the Year honors from the American Football Coaches Association.

With Auburn 3-8 and winless in Southeastern Conference play, Chizik's job is in jeopardy. The ongoing NCAA investigation only heightens the likelihood that the Tigers' game Saturday against rival Alabama will be Chizik's last at the school.

Auburn officials declined comment Wednesday.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday that she cannot comment on current, pending or potential investigations.

The NCAA probe is believed to be more widespread than just Jovon Robinson, but is not believed to revisit the 2010 allegations involving former star quarterback Cam
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

regi

Shocking, so what is their pitch to a new coach? ....."hey, paid Cam and Cecil 250,000, and skated, we will beat this as well".....?

Bobby may be desperate enough to buy it.

NoNC4Tubs

What big-name coach wants to go there and get involved in that mess?

This is going to set AU back about ten years......... 8)

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247
Story that would surprise me: "Highly touted Memphis prospect's recruitment 'completely above board', per NCAA."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247
Yes. An AAU hoops pimp in Memphis. RT @raysivley: Is there anything quite so shady as a high school football coach in Memphis?

Rolltide4ever

Auburn just made the top 10 in the 10 most corrupt college athletic programs list.
Auburn ranks 3rd right now with 7 major infractions. Maybe this can move them into
1st place.

http://www.associatesdegree.com/2011/03/08/10-most-corrupt-college-athletic-programs/
This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever,leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain,not loss-good, not evil. Success,not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.
Kept in the wallet of Paul William Bryant.

jbcarol

Goldberg: NCAA investigating Auburn football; interviews assistant, players this week

QuoteNCAA interviewed at least one Auburn assistant football coach and several players on campus this week in a continuing investigation of the signing of former Tigers' running back Jovon Robinson, according to someone familiar with the situation.

Auburn has not received a formal letter of inquiry from the NCAA.

The investigation is not limited to the recruitment of Robinson, said the person familiar with the situation.

A contract clause in which the university had the right to suspend the pay of Chizik and basketball coach Tony Barbee during an NCAA investigation was removed in 2011.

Chizik declined to comment the specifics of today's developments.

"I'm not going to comment on any speculation out there," Chizik said. "I will talk about the Iron Bowl and Alabama."

Chizik was asked if the story was a distraction during Iron Bowl week.

"It's not a distraction to me," he said. "We haven't thought one second about it. We're right down the line on the Iron Bowl."

Chizik did not confirm if the NCAA was in Auburn this week.

NCAA interviewed at least two Auburn assistants early this season about Robinson's recruitment. Assistant coaches Trooper Taylor and Curtis Luper were taken off the recruiting road earlier this season.

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum
The biggest winner today in the AU/NCAA mess was Bobby Petrino. He needed Armageddon and it's trending that direction.

jbcarol

Ian Fitzsimmons ‏@Ianfitzespn
Charles Barkley on the NCAA investigating Auburn -" we damn sure better not have paid any of these damn players!"

Roadrunner

This investigation is not just about Aubrun.
there are at least 3 other SEC schools involved besides auburn.
One assistant coach has resigned already.
this one will get very interesting.
;)
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Roadrunner on November 22, 2012, 09:56:47 pm
This investigation is not just about Aubrun.
there are at least 3 other SEC schools involved besides auburn.
One assistant coach has resigned already.
this one will get very interesting.
;)

OK, so we know that means AU and MSU.

Who else?

SteveInArk

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on November 23, 2012, 07:35:50 am
OK, so we know that means AU and MSU.

Who else?

Since it's at least Memphis recruiting ... maybe Ole Miss too.  ???
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

jbcarol

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe
That teacher, carrying Auburn lunchbox, told ESPN she didn't change grades but did shuttle recruit Jovon Robinson to campus.

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe
That teacher, carrying Auburn lunchbox, told ESPN she didn't change grades but did shuttle recruit Jovon Robinson to campus.

RazorBassin

I know for a fact(and yes this is my fist source on anything) that the teacher that took him to Auburn is an Auburn fan.  I don't know if she is a season ticket holder/booster, but just taking him is an improper benefit.  But I would bet there are worse infractions than this.