Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ken Hatfield

Started by Tweeter, November 10, 2017, 09:13:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

How about him for an A.D.

The Hawg Marshal

I like Hatfield, but I don't think we need a 74 year old man with no AD experience to run the ship.

old_school_hawg

That would be great! Ken Hatfield....I remember him vividly as the coach. He was a winner. And say what you will, we had stingy defenses when he was here. He was able to recruit what people say can't be recruited here...defensive players. That is what it is going to take to return us to respectability. Offense is nice, don't get me wrong, but we will never win anything again without emphasizing defense.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

ShadowHawg

No thanks.

He intentionally torpedoed the program to spite Broyles with zero regard that it would also hurt the average Hog fan.

As a fan I have suffered through the consequences of his actions. Don't want him anywhere near the program I care about.

Atlhogfan1

Shadow is right.

But the main reason now is his age.  Let him enjoy retirement.  We don't have to make an incestuous hire. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GuvHog

Quote from: old_school_hawg on November 10, 2017, 09:20:11 am
That would be great! Ken Hatfield....I remember him vividly as the coach. He was a winner. And say what you will, we had stingy defenses when he was here. He was able to recruit what people say can't be recruited here...defensive players. That is what it is going to take to return us to respectability. Offense is nice, don't get me wrong, but we will never win anything again without emphasizing defense.

He would be good as the interim AD IMO and he would probably accept that but his age would prevent him from accepting the job full time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The NewEra

Tubberville recently said he believes an AD should have come up through the ranks of a football coach so that he understands all of the nuances of running a successful program.  I'm not advocating Tubberville, but I think he makes a valid point and in this case we would hopefully get someone with ties to Arkansas.

ballz2thewall

i'm a bit worn out with piety oozing from the AD's office......

get a solid deal maker that knows some football.........
The rest of the frog.

hogsanity

As much as people here do not like it, the role of AD needs to be filled by someone with a business background, but more importantly for a school as big as the UofA, someone with prior AD experience.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cotton

PSA: Not every football coach makes a great AD.

That is all.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 01:05:31 pm
As much as people here do not like it, the role of AD needs to be filled by someone with a business background, but more importantly for a school as big as the UofA, someone with prior AD experience.

agree, but also a willingness to learn about the culture of the school they are leading.
traditions mean nothing to long
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

snoblind

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 10, 2017, 12:48:15 pm
No thanks.

He intentionally torpedoed the program to spite Broyles with zero regard that it would also hurt the average Hog fan.

As a fan I have suffered through the consequences of his actions. Don’t want him anywhere near the program I care about.

InB4 the folks who don't know what they are talking about show up to claim JFB got rid of him.

Hog Fan...DOH!

But only if they're from Arkansas and if played on either the '64 or '77 team. 

GuvHog

That someone also needs to have a sports background and be good at hiring winning head coaches.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

wildhogman

Quote from: snoblind on November 10, 2017, 01:10:19 pm
InB4 the folks who don't know what they are talking about show up to claim JFB got rid of him.
JFB didn't get rid of him. But he did make demands of him to change his staff and to open his offense.  Like Nutt he was loyal to his people to a fault. So he mailed it in his last year or two while hunting quietly for a landing place. Which was Clemson.
Ironically, he took over  successful Team and had little success, while the coach he replaced ended up here a few years later and had the same success as Hatfield.  The game had passed both of them by then

hogsanity

Quote from: wildhogman on November 10, 2017, 01:15:16 pm
JFB didn't get rid of him. But he did make demands of him to change his staff and to open his offense. 

In DIRECT response to fans whining about the offense being boring.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on November 10, 2017, 01:12:54 pm
That someone also needs to have a sports background and be good at hiring winning head coaches.

Of the current 130 fbs level ad's, which ones have been good at hiring winning football coaches ( we will limit it to football since that seems to be the only sport most care about ).

Pigasaurus

JFB didn't get rid of him. But he did make demands of him to change his staff and to open his offense.  Like Nutt he was loyal to his people to a fault. So he mailed it in his last year or two while hunting quietly for a landing place. Which was Clemson.
Ironically, he took over  successful Team and had little success, while the coach he replaced ended up here a few years later and had the same success as Hatfield.  The game had passed both of them by then

He was 10-2 his last 2 years. Mailed it in. Jesus.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

NoogaHog

Quote from: The NewEra on November 10, 2017, 12:54:43 pm
Tubberville recently said he believes an AD should have come up through the ranks of a football coach so that he understands all of the nuances of running a successful program.  I'm not advocating Tubberville, but I think he makes a valid point and in this case we would hopefully get someone with ties to Arkansas.

He said that because he is actively campaigning for an AD job. Auburn possibly.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

JLaHawg

Can somebody elaborate about how Hatfield did this?  I always heard that he was a pretty straightforward guy.  I certainly remember that he basically got fired for running the ball, despite his W/L being solid. Yes, he lost those bowl games and maybe his philosophy was not trendy, but aside from Petrino, which coach has had a trendy/effective offense?  Houston Nutt is the closest thing and that's mostly because of Gus. I there are people who hide in a closet with a dimly lit bulb, still studying the chronicles of Nutt/McFadden/Felix/Donna/Mitch and the Springdale 5/I called that play brutha, etc etc.  Plus Broyles buddied up with Nutt like he was a son or something while he was basically going senile and would not react to how poorly the football team was being managed.  Petrino got busted taking a bike ride with a hottie and got rightfully fired.  Nutt exchanged 16 zillion text messages with his "friend" Donna and they acted like that was business as usual.

What went on between Hatfield and Broyles?  I figure Hatfield was way more solid in the ethics and coaching departments than most of our coaches have ever dreamed of.

1984   Arkansas   12   7   4   1   .625   10.82   2.91            Liberty Bowl-L   
1985   Arkansas   12   10   2   0   .833   13.12   0.79   15   4   12   Holiday Bowl-W   
1986   Arkansas   12   9   3   0   .750   9.48   0.40   19   8   15   Orange Bowl-L   
1987   Arkansas   13   9   4   0   .692   7.87   0.79   12   10      Liberty Bowl-L   
1988   Arkansas   12   10   2   0   .833   10.95   1.37      8   12   Cotton Bowl-L   

hogsanity

Quote from: pigasaurus on November 10, 2017, 01:24:41 pm

IF that is mailing it in please lets get someone else to mail it in.

Fan1958

Never had a losing season.  Worst was his first at 7-4-1 and was literally inches (Ole Miss) and seconds (Texas) from 9-3. Lost to Auburn and Bo Jackson 21-15 in the Liberty Bowl and had a big lead on TCU in the driving rain but somehow lost by a point.

Was a dropped interception in the end zone at Miami by a future All Pro safety away from playing for the national championship in 88.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

moses_007

Chuck Dicas a better choice.

PorkRinds

I'd take TT as an AD.

The NewEra

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 10, 2017, 01:28:36 pm
He said that because he is actively campaigning for an AD job. Auburn possibly.

No doubt he was campaigning but I think his premise was spot on.

The NewEra

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 10, 2017, 01:29:43 pm
Its for this reason I would want a Switzer or Jimmy Johnson because of their experience as head coach.  BUT, AGE is a big factor and of course with Johnson some fences might need mending not sure with Switzer.  These are examples of course, but something along these lines who are younger and understand Football and the wonderful state of Arkansas and its heritage.  There has to be someone who fits this description out there.

How I would love for Jimmy Johnson to be back involved with Arkansas.

hogsanity

Thing is, most HC's would have to take a large pay cut to become an AD. Also, there are about 1000 more headaches as AD, since you have to preside over the entire department.

The NewEra

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 10, 2017, 01:33:17 pm
I'd take TT as an AD.

One of the concerns I would have about Tubberville are in the same talk he said we should continue games in L.R.  I think that ship has sailed and especially since WM needs extensive upgrades just to be approved by the SEC.  Also, with the stadium improvements in Fayetteville it would be hard to justify.

ShadowHawg

Didn't recruit. Anhilated the program as it headed toward being a member of the SEC. Left the cupboard bare on purpose.

More to a program than wins and losses.

Good grief!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ShadowHawg

Quote from: JLaHawg on November 10, 2017, 01:32:19 pm
Can somebody elaborate about how Hatfield did this?  I always heard that he was a pretty straightforward guy.  I certainly remember that he basically got fired for running the ball, despite his W/L being solid. Yes, he lost those bowl games and maybe his philosophy was not trendy, but aside from Petrino, which coach has had a trendy/effective offense?  Houston Nutt is the closest thing and that's mostly because of Gus. I there are people who hide in a closet with a dimly lit bulb, still studying the chronicles of Nutt/McFadden/Felix/Donna/Mitch and the Springdale 5/I called that play brutha, etc etc.  Plus Broyles buddied up with Nutt like he was a son or something while he was basically going senile and would not react to how poorly the football team was being managed.  Petrino got busted taking a bike ride with a hottie and got rightfully fired.  Nutt exchanged 16 zillion text messages with his "friend" Donna and they acted like that was business as usual.

What went on between Hatfield and Broyles?  I figure Hatfield was way more solid in the ethics and coaching departments than most of our coaches have ever dreamed of.

1984   Arkansas   12   7   4   1   .625   10.82   2.91            Liberty Bowl-L   
1985   Arkansas   12   10   2   0   .833   13.12   0.79   15   4   12   Holiday Bowl-W   
1986   Arkansas   12   9   3   0   .750   9.48   0.40   19   8   15   Orange Bowl-L   
1987   Arkansas   13   9   4   0   .692   7.87   0.79   12   10      Liberty Bowl-L   
1988   Arkansas   12   10   2   0   .833   10.95   1.37      8   12   Cotton Bowl-L

He knew he wanted out the last 2 seasons he was here. He pouted because Broyles asked him to revamp his system which required him to revamp his staff.

As a spite to Broyles, Hatfield mailed it in on the recruiting trail on purpose because he knew he wouldn't be here when the fruits of his negligence came around.

He did this knowing how much the Hogs mean to the state. He did t knowing we were headed to the SEC.

Completely selfish, total dicke move. Our program has never fully recovered from it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: JLaHawg on November 10, 2017, 01:32:19 pm

He didn't get fired.

1987 v Texas in WMS is what started it.  Fred Goldsmith DC believed in a passive defense with soft zone coverages.  Texas scored on the last play and Broyles wanted Hatfield to change his defensive staff.  Hatfield was loyal and refused.  Feud on.  The 88 and 89 teams were already on campus.  Hatfield's scorched earth showed up big time in 1990 especially on the defensive side.  Took us a decade to recover. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Seebs

Hatfield is deeeeeeelicious
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

EastArkHog 47

Chuck Dicus would probably be a good AD and so would Terry Don Phillips if only short term to get the ship righted.

Gonzo

He had the highest winning percentage of any Hog coach and finished with back to back 10 win seasons. Not sure how you meant that so I won't say you're wrong but that's a pretty interesting take on his tenure.

Go Hogs!

Hogman2

Ken has a degree in accounting and could do well as INTERIM AD!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Gonzo on November 10, 2017, 02:23:07 pm
He had the highest winning percentage of any Hog coach and finished with back to back 10 win seasons. Not sure how you meant that so I won't say you're wrong but that's a pretty interesting take on his tenure.

Go Hogs!

Situation and context not strengths of our fan base's thought process. 

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 10, 2017, 01:11:28 pm
But only if they're from Arkansas and if played on either the '64 or '77 team. 

Or '09. We were undefeated in '09. And obviously age is not an issue in this thread.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Kevin on November 10, 2017, 01:08:17 pm
agree, but also a willingness to learn about the culture of the school they are leading.
traditions mean nothing to long

I don't know what traditions that Long has not held to.  There may be some , but I don't know what they are.

snoblind

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 10, 2017, 01:49:40 pm
He knew he wanted out the last 2 seasons he was here. He pouted because Broyles asked him to revamp his system which required him to revamp his staff.

As a spite to Broyles, Hatfield mailed it in on the recruiting trail on purpose because he knew he wouldn't be here when the fruits of his negligence came around.

He did this knowing how much the Hogs mean to the state. He did t knowing we were headed to the SEC.

Completely selfish, total dicke move. Our program has never fully recovered from it.

You left out the part where he left his new contract on his desk (which he had indicated he would sign) when he left to take the Clemson job (campus unseen, etc.).  And that he left a week or 2 before national signing day with the intention of torpedoing the class.  Frank literally pulled Jack Crowe off the plane heading to South Carolina in an attempt to save the class.

What has always puzzled me is the 2 things that folks want to crucify Broyles for when it comes to Hatfield, discussing/recommending direction of job/focus and personnel/staffing, has been part of every job I've or my friends/acquaintances have ever had when having direct reports and reporting to a boss.

The irony is it appears that Alvarez exercised far greater supervision over BB.  We have learned the hard way how well he does without it.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Hogman2 on November 10, 2017, 02:27:20 pm
Ken has a degree in accounting and could do well as INTERIM AD!

My mother in Law has a degree in accounting.  She isn't qualified to run a hundred million dollar a year business and neither is Coach Hatfield even on an interim basis.

jjsam

Bring Chuck Dicus back....he was all American & love the Hogs....bring back Gary Blair....bring back Ken Hatfield.... Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson , Barry Switzer should be on the selection committee to hire a new coach!!  WPS!

wildhogman

There is aot more to keeping the program on the right track then this years record.For example I give you one CBB. Thinke 2014 and 2015 were good indicators where we would be today at the time?
He didn't recruit well during those last two years thus the teams crowe inherited.
I hated his boring offense but man I loved the winning. But truth is, he never beat anyone he wasn't supposed to. Never rose above and beyond.  "and jesus wept".  Had texas on the ropes and couldn't finish the job. And that was the response. 
A good Cristian man. a decent HC.  But his last act here hurt the program.

greenie

I'm just curious, who would the folks on Hogville consider to be an example of a successful AD?  Who has the traits and a record of performance that should be used as a basis for comparison when evaluating candidates?  I'm not in the camp that thinks that someone without real AD experience should be hired to replace Long.

Cotton

Quote from: greenie on November 10, 2017, 02:59:37 pm
I'm just curious, who would the folks on Hogville consider to be an example of a successful AD?  Who has the traits and a record of performance that should be used as a basis for comparison when evaluating candidates?  I'm not in the camp that thinks that someone without real AD experience should be hired to replace Long.
Most folks on here couldn't name 2 other ADs in the SEC or the country for that matter. 
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: greenie on November 10, 2017, 02:59:37 pm

I asked that eariler in this thread and got nothing, nadda, zip, zilch in response

soso

No thanks.

As a fan I have suffered through the consequences of his actions. Don't want him anywhere near the program I care about.

Not to mention he wasn't very smart 30 years ago much less now. Plus he would be a constant reminder of the pain that we could have had Jimmy Johnson as a coach.

Athog

Quote from: Tweeter on November 10, 2017, 09:13:56 am
How about him for an A.D.
[/quot

Ken Hatfield is a great man! He has way to much integrity and sense to want that job!! (Especially at 74 years old).

thebignasty

think hes too busy doing commercials for harps anyway
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

hassettsportsman

Let's face it...Arkansas is a unique fit...very unique.  Thus, it would work best with some sort of Arkansas fit, former Hog great, former Hog coach.  I think Bill Montgomery...and his golf game is solid...even at the Alotian.  I spoke to Coach Hatfield in an elevator in LR....after the game...I told him 'it would have been great to have you on the sideline tonight'.....he said 'I would have enjoyed that'.  Montgomery or Hatfield...2 good Arkansas choices both with plenty of love for the U of A.