Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can we agree the conference was bad?

Started by jbcarol, December 07, 2016, 08:21:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AShirkey/status/806267405953540097

QuoteFor years, "old man football" and tough defense defined SEC football. But the recent additions of Texas A&M and Missouri — both of which now run spread offenses — and modernization pushes at Ole Miss, Mississippi State and even Alabama have changed the type of football played down south.

So maybe there's an argument that as SEC offenses have become more prolific, its normally stout defenses have had trouble adapting. However, poor performances from several SEC offenses throws a giant wrench in that theory:

Arkansas: 56th (30.8 PPG)

SEC only featured three senior starters under center this year: Chad Kelly, Trevor Knight and Josh Dobbs. The first two guys missed time because of injury. Dobbs was inconsistent and never developed as a passer.

Five true freshmen spent time as their team's starter — Jalen Hurts, Jake Bentley, Brandon McIlwain, Jacob Eason and Shea Patterson — and the conference saw four sophomores start the entire season (Drew Lock, Kyle Shurmur, Nick Fitzgerald and Sean White).

The collective record of SEC teams that started freshmen or sophomores at quarterback? Excluding Alabama, it's 41-43. [It hurts.]

O-line play is hard to quantify, but we saw several teams regress up front.

Tennessee, which returned most of its starters from last year, struggled to block for Dobbs. Arkansas lost three starters, and Ole Miss had to replace four. South Carolina and Georgia were a mess.

Even the normally dominating offensive line of Alabama hasn't been quite as imposing as in years past. The Crimson Tide allowed 92 tackles for loss — tied with South Carolina for worst in the SEC — while averaging only 2.54 yards per carry in the red zone...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Rzbakfromwaybak

Well, since we only won 3 conference games.....how can we call anyone else bad ??
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.