Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Short of firing a coach or benching a player

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, September 27, 2015, 05:13:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

online-with-swine

Go young, play for the future and use it as a way to build experience for the young pups.  Then, maybe next year won't be so shocking with new starters everywhere.  Plus, one of those young guys may be the spark we have needed all along.

Ironhawg

September 27, 2015, 05:19:37 pm #2 Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:26:36 pm by Ironhawg
IMHO you have to win at least four conference games to keep this season completely out of the ditch.  You still have a losing season but at least you show improvement in the conference record.  The Toledo and TT losses are going to be tough to overcome.  I saw an awful lot of good things against A&M.  Now just keep getting better and start piling up W's!

spiritof92

Clean up the play on offense and defense.  Stop beating themselves.

jgphillips3

Quote from: online-with-swine on September 27, 2015, 05:16:57 pm
Go young, play for the future and use it as a way to build experience for the young pups.  Then, maybe next year won't be so shocking with new starters everywhere.  Plus, one of those young guys may be the spark we have needed all along.

This.  Firing coaches isn't going to happen and shouldn't.  Screw this year, get ready for 2016 so we don't have to go 1-3 out the gate next year too.

Hawghiggs

I don't think that firing the coaches is the right thing to do this season. We can only do what we can do and that's keep playing to win until we have lost more than six games. At that point we might as well play everyone that is not currently redshirting.

JackTNHogfan

Nothing.  Even with our best coaching and playing performances, CBB said himself that we have to play a perfect game to win.  Well we likely won't play any perfect games this year and will probably only get lucky once or twice in the remaining games we have.  In a best case scenario, we win against UT Martin and maybe two others for a 4-8 season.  Worst case is losing them all except Martin and going 2-10. 

If I were coach I would run them all until they puke every practice.  I wouldn't do any game preparation just work on fundamentals.  Does that sound like something that should have happened in the Summer?  Maybe during two-a-days?  Two-a-days are designed to weed out the weak and teach discipline and fundamentals especially when fatigued, like in the 4th Qtr.  It builds mental and physical toughness.  Something this team seriously lacks.  After getting back to basics we could build up from there.  I hope CBB learned his lesson.   

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 27, 2015, 05:13:55 pm
What can be done to salvage the season?

PP
Make everyone who committed a penalty do bear crawls till they puke.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgon

QuoteEven with our best coaching and playing performances, CBB said himself that we have to play a perfect game to win.

Nothing like instilling the team with confidence.  Want to know why the team seems to lay down and die at the first sign of major adversity?  Because the coach has already told them that they aren't good enough to survive any mistakes and can't win once they've made them.

Everything this guy does and says is as if it was specifically designed by a sports psychologist to make young men afraid and to play scared and tentative on the field.

PossumFan

Quote from: online-with-swine on September 27, 2015, 05:16:57 pm

So you want to throw in the towel on this season after one SEC loss and the possibility of still having a winning season?

Glad you're not our coach.

TheRazorback500

Let AA and Rafe each have a possession in the first half to see how they handle the offense and how effective they are in the red zone, if they get there. Then, if one of them looks good and we're within one score, let him try to close out the game if we're ahead, or engineer a game winning drive if we're not.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on September 27, 2015, 05:28:49 pm
Nothing.  Even with our best coaching and playing performances, CBB said himself that we have to play a perfect game to win.  Well we likely won't play any perfect games this year and will probably only get lucky once or twice in the remaining games we have.  In a best case scenario, we win against UT Martin and maybe two others for a 4-8 season.  Worst case is losing them all except Martin and going 2-10. 

If I were coach I would run them all until they puke every practice.  I wouldn't do any game preparation just work on fundamentals.  Does that sound like something that should have happened in the Summer?  Maybe during two-a-days?  Two-a-days are designed to weed out the weak and teach discipline and fundamentals especially when fatigued, like in the 4th Qtr.  It builds mental and physical toughness.  Something this team seriously lacks.  After getting back to basics we could build up from there.  I hope CBB learned his lesson.   

Bro you've got no clue what two a days are like in the modern era.  No college team is following your game plan. Not many high schools are either.

JackTNHogfan

In addition to what I mentioned earlier, I'd like to see us work on a wildcat package.  We are losing anyway, why not devote a significant part of practice to executing a wildcat package with Duwop?  If nothing else it will make defenses have to prepare for it.

jdelo77

It's entirely to early to throw in the towel , it doesn't matter if we are 1-3 ! We win this weekend and get healthy after the bye week ! Still a chance to make a bowl ...

PorkRinds

Quote from: jdelo77 on September 27, 2015, 05:49:46 pm
It's entirely to early to throw in the towel , it doesn't matter if we are 1-3 ! We win this weekend and get healthy after the bye week ! Still a chance to make a bowl ...

This. We make a bowl I'm satisfied.  We don't I'm skeptical going into next season.

JackTNHogfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 27, 2015, 05:41:51 pm
Bro you've got no clue what two a days are like in the modern era.  No college team is following your game plan. Not many high schools are either.

Bro you've got no clue.  I'm not talking junction boys here just saying we missed a fundamental piece of training camp and we are paying for it now.  We lack focus and were very soft to open the season.  My opinion is the reason why is because we didn't have two a days.  If I'm so wrong in this thinking why does nearly all D1 programs still run two-a-days???

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on September 27, 2015, 05:53:21 pm
Bro you've got no clue.  I'm not talking junction boys here just saying we missed a fundamental piece of training camp and we are paying for it now.  We lack focus and were very soft to open the season.  My opinion is the reason why is because we didn't have two a days.  If I'm so wrong in this thinking why does nearly all D1 programs still run two-a-days???

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet you don't know the rules for "two a days" in collegiate football. Look them up. What you're describing happens no where.

rude1

I am opposed to scrapping the season and going with the youth movement right now. While it has been disheartening to say the least the reality is we are still just 0-1 in the conference, to early IMHO to pull the plug and throw in the towel for the season. I think at this point we have only one option, hope to improve as the season goes and see were it takes us, not that I am optimistic about it, I just don't see any other viable option. With that said, if the losses pile up to the point that bowl eligibility is gone, then IMHO it's time to look to the future with the youth movement.

JackTNHogfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 27, 2015, 05:58:17 pm
I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet you don't know the rules for "two a days" in collegiate football. Look them up. What you're describing happens no where.

Why don't you tell us what happens during two-a-days since you know it all.  Seriously, you mean to tell me that players aren't fatigued during two-a-days and that is when some coaches focus on discipline and fundamentals.  Seriously???

MuskogeeHogFan

PP

BA played well and passed well when given a chance all excepting OT. The defense gave up 22 yards per catch in the first half, regained their footing and only allowed 6.2 yards per catch in the 3rd qtr and then regressed allowing the A&M offense to complete 7 of 9 in the 4th for 129 yards or 18.4 per catch.

I will agree that BA is not a QB that you want to have when the pressure is put upon his shoulders, but too many times over the last three years it has come down to that when the rest of the team could have stepped up and prevented it from being a last play of the game, or OT requirement. BA is a game manager, not a big play manager.

Other players on both sides of the ball have to step up and make plays at critical times on both sides of the ball. This isn't all on BA though I know that he is the convenient scapegoat for many who don't want to do anything more than look beyond the surface of things.
Go Hogs Go!

HammusArkansus

We were in the same boat last season - awful out of the gate.  They didn't give up or quit and became a respectable team towards the end.  Can they do the same this year???  Don't know, but the only way to have a chance is by not quitting on any down, series, game, player or season.  Give it your all until seasons end. 

spearman88

rude1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2015, 06:02:11 pm
BA played well and passed well when given a chance all excepting OT. The defense gave up 22 yards per catch in the first half, regained their footing and only allowed 6.2 yards per catch in the 3rd qtr and then regressed allowing the A&M offense to complete 7 of 9 in the 4th for 129 yards or 18.4 per catch.

I will agree that BA is not a QB that you want to have when the pressure is put upon his shoulders, but too many times over the last three years it has come down to that when the rest of the team could have stepped up and prevented it from being a last play of the game, or OT requirement. BA is a game manager, not a big play manager.

Other players on both sides of the ball have to step up and make plays at critical times on both sides of the ball. This isn't all on BA though I know that he is the convenient scapegoat for many who don't want to do anything more than look beyond the surface of things.

This is just not realistic. In this conference many times it's going to come down to the ability to make plays late offensively to get the win, hoping we can go into the 4th quarter unchallenged so BA doesn't have to make plays to close the door on a comeback or take the win isn't being realistic.

hawgon

Quote from: rude1 on September 27, 2015, 06:07:29 pm
This is just not realistic. In this conference many times it's going to come down to the ability to make plays late offensively to get the win, hoping we can go into the 4th quarter unchallenged so BA doesn't have to make plays to close the door on a comeback or take the win isn't being realistic.

Well, last night BA was awesome early in the game because we were running and passing.  We were mixing it up and being unpredictable.  Come the 4th quarter, we shut that down and tried to run out the clock.  The last drive, they finally figured it out and loaded up to stuff RW III on first down.  Then they knew we were going to pass and we all know what happened.

You can't take your foot off the gas.  We don't score in the 4th because, basically we don't try.  And then all the sudden, we expect BA to win the game with his arm on one or two throws.

rude1

Quote from: hawgon on September 27, 2015, 06:11:39 pm
Well, last night BA was awesome early in the game because we were running and passing.  We were mixing it up and being unpredictable.  Come the 4th quarter, we shut that down and tried to run out the clock.  The last drive, they finally figured it out and loaded up to stuff RW III on first down.  Then they knew we were going to pass and we all know what happened.

You can't take your foot off the gas.  We don't score in the 4th because, basically we don't try.  And then all the sudden, we expect BA to win the game with his arm on one or two throws.

If you come out winging it and go three and out passing, running no clock, you get criticized. They had a good drive going about to secure the game and just didn't finish it, it happens. But asking a 5th year senior to complete at least one ball to give you a chance in OT with two chances with open receivers isn't asking too much, and if it is, you have the wrong QB.

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on September 27, 2015, 06:01:36 pm
Why don't you tell us what happens during two-a-days since you know it all.  Seriously, you mean to tell me that players aren't fatigued during two-a-days and that is when some coaches focus on discipline and fundamentals.  Seriously???

Colleges are now limited in the number of contact practices they are allowed to aren't allowed two a days on consecutive days. Your old school vision of them grinding it out is just antiquated. On some level, maybe it helps the guys not quit when they are tired. But there is no team out there having two a day contact practices. Do you know how many two a days we had last year? Do you know how many the four teams in the playoff had last season? Look it up and you'll realize how silly your theory sounds. Or if you ask me nicely I'll just tell you. CBB's decision didn't really change much for our players. They still came back and watched film, did walk throughs, etc. They spent plenty of time working hard throughout the last year of offseason. Modern two a days aren't what you think they are.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rude1 on September 27, 2015, 06:07:29 pm

That's exactly what I just said and you quoted.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: rude1 on September 27, 2015, 06:15:36 pm
If you come out winging it and go three and out passing, running no clock, you get criticized. They had a good drive going about to secure the game and just didn't finish it, it happens. But asking a 5th year senior to complete at least one ball to give you a chance in OT with two chances with open receivers isn't asking too much, and if it is, you have the wrong QB.

Asking a QB, ANY QB regardless of age, with known confidence issues to complete a pass when the whole game is on the line and everyone in the stadium knows he is going to pass is a recipe for failure.

For instance, if I'm not mistaken, that play where he got sacked and fumbled was from the shotgun and an empty backfield.  Why telegraph it that much?  At least make them play the possibility of a run.

DLUXHOG

PP

Close your eyes and hope & pray for the best....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Danny J

rude1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2015, 06:18:39 pm
That's exactly what I just said and you quoted.
Actually I understood you to say that other players need to step and make some plays to keep BA out  of that situation, IMHO, that's not realistic, in close games your QB is going to have to make some plays if you are going to win. Not even Bama or LSU are able to lock teams defensively in today's game to the point their offense doesn't have to make some plays.

Torqued pork

I understand the frustration, but one game into conference play is too early to call this season hopeless.

hawgon

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 27, 2015, 06:28:07 pm
I understand the frustration, but one game into conference play is too early to call this season hopeless.

We have only four conference games that we CAN win.  Those would be Tennessee, Auburn, MSU, and Mizzou.  Nothing we've ever done under BB says that we will achieve.  Instead, everything says that we will under achieve.  So, a realistic expectation is that we might win one of those games.  One conference win is/would be pretty disastrous.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on September 27, 2015, 06:11:39 pm

I will say that in all fairness we did attempt 5 designed pass plays in the 4th, but BA only had time to throw on one of those (when he wasn't scrambling for his life), which he completed, even if for only 5 yards.

But what I saw was a play calling that basically took their foot off the gas. They thought we could just go out there and run the clock and stop attacking. They put the game on the shoulders of a defense that was coming out of the third quarter having allowed a mere 77 yards (31 passing and 46 rushing) to A&M figuring that they could continue the same. The problem was that A&M came out in the 4th and fired for 149 yards, 139 yards of which were passing and their offense and receivers again went through our Secondary like a hot knife through butter, scoring 2 TD's and one XP for 2 points, tieing the game.

Our philosophy might have worked had Kirkland not moved or the Officials might have called encroachement, but neither of those happened and we gave the ball back to A&M. HUGE mistake.

Still, this team played better than it has all year and I think they will be a team to be reckoned with, just like last year. But I have to admit that I grow weary of being the spoiler and underdog.

But I am proud of this team and how they played last night, despite the many mistakes that cost them the game.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2015, 06:31:57 pm
I will say that in all fairness we did attempt 5 designed pass plays in the 4th, but BA only had time to throw on one of those (when he wasn't scrambling for his life), which he completed, even if for only 5 yards.

But what I saw was a play calling that basically took their foot off the gas. They thought we could just go out there and run the clock and stop attacking. They put the game on the shoulders of a defense that was coming out of the third quarter having allowed a mere 77 yards (31 passing and 46 rushing) to A&M figuring that they could continue the same. The problem was that A&M came out in the 4th and fired for 149 yards, 139 yards of which were passing and their offense and receivers again went through our Secondary like a hot knife through butter, scoring 2 TD's and one XP for 2 points, tieing the game.

Our philosophy might have worked had Kirkland not moved or the Officials might have called encroachement, but neither of those happened and we gave the ball back to A&M. HUGE mistake.

Still, this team played better than it has all year and I think they will be a team to be reckoned with, just like last year. But I have to admit that I grow weary of being the spoiler and underdog.

But I am proud of this team and how they played last night, despite the many mistakes that cost them the game.

I used to say this with Nutt.  You're either getting better or you're getting worse.  A team cannot do what we are doing over and over without breaking.  You either break through and win, or you break and quit.  Last year, our schedule broke in just such a way that we got Ole Miss and LSU when they were actually very bad teams.  So, we broke through a little bit.

This year, if we don't break through against Tennessee and/or Auburn, we're done.

hawg IQ

PP
In a word "winning" !  now how to get there. Its starts with better/tougher coaching. Bonehead plays are killing us, such as the penalties, not getting into correct coverage on defense , especially the secondary.
   Offensively the one guy who needs to learn how to go get a win is B Allen. some kind of therapy , a kick in the ass whatever it takes for him to man up and get her done. if not time for a new quarterback.
The oline needs to quit moving or holding to avoid the penalties.  Also better plays, snap counts, mis direction, flea flickers, spread offense, wild cat, you name it , just no blah when you need a 4th quarter drive.
go hogs go !

PossumFan

Can't make sweeping changes mid-season, IMO. Best to stick with what they're doing, but just try to do it better. Since I'm not a coach, I don't know how to do this _ and I would sincerely hope they've already been working on it _ but clean up the penalties, tackle better, cover better in the secondary ... that would go a long, long way to righting the ship. Much easier said than done, I'm sure. But they've just got to keep working at it. I don't think experimenting with the backup QBs or a Duwop wildcat is going to be the magic bullet.

zane

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 27, 2015, 06:16:56 pm
Colleges are now limited in the number of contact practices they are allowed to aren't allowed two a days on consecutive days. Your old school vision of them grinding it out is just antiquated. On some level, maybe it helps the guys not quit when they are tired. But there is no team out there having two a day contact practices. Do you know how many two a days we had last year? Do you know how many the four teams in the playoff had last season? Look it up and you'll realize how silly your theory sounds. Or if you ask me nicely I'll just tell you. CBB's decision didn't really change much for our players. They still came back and watched film, did walk throughs, etc. They spent plenty of time working hard throughout the last year of offseason. Modern two a days aren't what you think they are.

Get your sissy bull darn out of here! They need to be running bleachers til they pass out! >:(
RIP LSUfan

regi

Cut out all the darn penalties, and go to a wildcat last 5 mins with Duwop. Allen wants no part of late game pressure.

hogifino

I believe All remaining games are winnable....provided the Hogs build off of last night.  If they fall into the gloom and doom crowd different story.  Seniors deserve a chance to win. All you can ask. Play the game, have fun, they have a chance in each and every one...otherwise why play?  Only a handful will play at next level.

Quickdraw

PP

They have put to much pressure on themselves and are playing way too tight. The majority of fans, commentators etc, do not expect them to win. They are the bottom of the barrel per say and no where else to go but up. Go out and have fun, play the game because you enjoy playing wither you win or lose and if you win great! if you lose you met the majorities expectations. So, why put unnecessary pressure on yourselves.

Now you can bash my comments. I don't take them personal.... Hahaha.....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on September 27, 2015, 06:36:37 pm
I used to say this with Nutt.  You're either getting better or you're getting worse.  A team cannot do what we are doing over and over without breaking.  You either break through and win, or you break and quit.  Last year, our schedule broke in just such a way that we got Ole Miss and LSU when they were actually very bad teams.  So, we broke through a little bit.

This year, if we don't break through against Tennessee and/or Auburn, we're done.

Your projection. May be true, may not be. You don't know and neither do any of us.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Quote from: PossumFan on September 27, 2015, 05:39:43 pm
So you want to throw in the towel on this season after one SEC loss and the possibility of still having a winning season?

Glad you're not our coach.

No.  I don't want to throw in the towel.  Try reading for comprehension.  I want to start building next year's team in the ashes of this dumpster fire so we can hit the ground running next year when we still have a lot to play for.  This year, if we play out of our minds down the stretch, that's a 6-6 record.  Throw your youngsters out there, let them LEARN under fire and we won't look lost our first three games next year to start the season.  We need to start thinking long term. 

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2015, 07:53:35 pm
Your projection. May be true, may not be. You don't know and neither do any of us.

Actually, I do.  I'm right.  I usually am. 

The real Hogules

Quote from: Danny J on September 27, 2015, 06:22:56 pm
Cut penalties down

While our defense wilted and at times looked lost out there on the field, the offense played just well enough to win, IF we hadn't been a penalty waiting to happen from beginning to the bitter end.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on September 27, 2015, 08:00:01 pm

Yes, we know that is how you feel. Major overconfidence.
Go Hogs Go!

Murr

hawgon

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: hawgon on September 27, 2015, 08:00:01 pm

Mr. Trump, I didn't know you were a Hog fan. What are you doing hanging out with a bunch of "losers" like us?

hawgon

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 27, 2015, 08:20:20 pm
Mr. Trump, I didn't know you were a Hog fan. What are you doing hanging out with a bunch of "losers" like us?

My prescience only extends to Razorback coaches and affairs.