Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True Defensive Stats

Started by Abominable Hillbilly, September 27, 2015, 10:02:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Abominable Hillbilly

Our defense didn't play spectacular but think the DL played very well.  A&M has avg 46 points per game this season before playing us.  Their lowest score was against then #14 Arizona with 38 points.  They are scoring allot of points on everyone.  Our defense held them to 21 points in regulation. 

Texas Tech has avg 61 points a game in their three other games with their lowest being 52 against #3 TCU, we held them to 35. 

Can the defense play better?  Of course they can.  When we hold these big scoring teams to 43% and 45% below their avg scoring, we have to make plays in the fourth quarter.
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

hoghiker

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on September 27, 2015, 10:02:15 am
Our defense didn't play spectacular but think the DL played very well.  A&M has avg 46 points per game this season before playing us.  Their lowest score was against then #14 Arizona with 38 points.  They are scoring allot of points on everyone.  Our defense held them to 21 points in regulation. 

Texas Tech has avg 61 points a game in their three other games with their lowest being 52 against #3 TCU, we held them to 35. 

Can the defense play better?  Of course they can.  When we hold these big scoring teams to 53% and 45% below their avg scoring, we have to make plays in the fourth quarter.
Don't bring this kind of thinking to this board. Not after a lost. You need to be posting about how bad we suck. Fire the coach. The AD has to go or I something. Be the whiner that represents. Oh honestly, its good to read something this morning a little more upbeat. Hogville clinic needs to dispense some meds this morning.

ricepig

Quote from: hoghiker on September 27, 2015, 10:08:42 am
Don't bring this kind of thinking to this board. Not after a lost. You need to be posting about how bad we suck. Fire the coach. The AD has to go or I something. Be the whiner that represents. Oh honestly, its good to read something this morning a little more upbeat. Hogville clinic needs to dispense some meds this morning.

Don't be encouraging this type of post, it raises the IQ level around here. I thought the d-line got good pressure, we still need to find the ball better in the secondary.

Abominable Hillbilly

We held Toledo to 45% of their avg also
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

MountieDawg

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on September 27, 2015, 10:02:15 am

Can the defense play better?  Of course they can.  When we hold these big scoring teams to 43% and 45% below their avg scoring, we have to make plays in the fourth quarter.

One reason is the number of plays in the game decrease the amount of plays and possessions the other team scores.... Yesterday TCU and Texas Tech scored a bunch of points a little because bad defense but I bet the teams combined for twice as many plays as the Texas Tech/Hogs game.  Stats can lie especially points per game, in the Tech/Hogs game Tech never punted but didn't score 50 points.  The only real stats that matters are wins and losses... Unless, they change the rules of college football and start awarding points for time of possession...
SEC!

pigroots

It's hard to score when you don't have the ball. Our offense has helped the defense greatly this year by controlling time of possession

WorfHog

The defense is young but doing pretty well. The offense is good, except when it really counts. Starts at the top with Bret, Dan Enos, and filters down to BA. We just don't have a gamer as any of those positions.

LSPRazorbac

The defense is greatly helped by the offense slowing the game down.

Have we forgot how many times Texas Tech punted against us?