Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now we know what the REAL problem is !!

Started by 007 License To Squeal, September 27, 2015, 01:12:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

007 License To Squeal

1.  The team,especially, the defense, is severely lacking in the area of fundamentals.
2.  Too many penalties spell a lack of mental discipline and focus.
3.  Poor play calls at critical times.

In my humble opinion, our COACHES need to take FULL responsibility for this total sub-par product.  BB and his assistants are failing miserably.  The players and the fans deserve better.

It's going to be a miserable season if the coaches don't step up to the plate RIGHT NOW.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

sickboy

Penalties lost us this football game. Not play calling or lack of fundamentals on defense.

arkansasrazorbacks

Because some of them might took entire summer off...

If you dont mind, I would re-rank them as order of 3, 2, 1

arkansasrazorbacks

Play call is the killer. Our HC has no capability of doing play call. It is sad but it is truth.

Penalties are involved in every game though I have to say we got a lot more today. It can be adjusted.

Quote from: sickboy on September 27, 2015, 02:05:46 am
Penalties lost us this football game. Not play calling or lack of fundamentals on defense.

gchamblee

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 27, 2015, 03:09:34 am
B e r t is the problem along with the person who hired him and all the people that enable him to continue to drag Razorback football to depths not seen since WWII.

in your fantasy, who would you like to see replace Jeff Long as our AD? And after that hire is made, who would you like him to hire as our new head coach? i know you wont answer this because you dont have answers, but i just thought id throw it out there.

ICEman

So DBs are supposed to play with their backs turned to the football after all.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on September 27, 2015, 01:12:48 am
1.  The team,especially, the defense, is severely lacking in the area of fundamentals.

In my humble opinion, our COACHES need to take FULL responsibility for this total sub-par product.  BB and his assistants are failing miserably.  The players and the fans deserve better.

It's going to be a miserable season if the coaches don't step up to the plate RIGHT NOW.

1 and 2 - I'm with ya. But you lost me on 3. What poor plays were called during critical times? Do you mean the short arm pass that would have gained the 1st down to extend the play? Or the fumble cause the QB had the ball down low ready to be stripped?

Being serious here - what bad play calls?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

kodiakisland

Why can't we get decent DBs?  In this age of 7 on 7 starting in JR high, there have got to be many kids that have learned to play the ball.  Why is it so hard for us to get a couple of them?  When was the last time we had two good DBs on the field at one time?  Corners that can cover AND play the ball must be like hens teeth.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ChitownHawg

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 27, 2015, 03:09:34 am
B e r t is the problem along with the person who hired him and all the people that enable him to continue to drag Razorback football to depths not seen since WWII.

The way I'm feeling this morning I can understand how upset you are. Yet do you realize how childish your legitimate argument becomes with this "Bert" and "Jeffie" crap. Make your case maturely as there is one to be made. But the name calling is childish.

Now I'm not calling for either one's head. CBB just needs to begin to win. We should be at least at 2-2 right now. A break here or no bonehead reaction there, and we could be 3-1.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 27, 2015, 05:34:27 am
Why can't we get decent DBs?  In this age of 7 on 7 starting in JR high, there have got to be many kids that have learned to play the ball.  Why is it so hard for us to get a couple of them?  When was the last time we had two good DBs on the field at one time?  Corners that can cover AND play the ball must be like hens teeth.

I think we have good DBs. Their aggressiveness seems to have regressed. Not sure why.

hawgdawg63

CBB himself in his introduction speech told the HOG national that penalties would be a thing of the past and discipline would return. #2....this is the point that HE has failed on the most all season. How in the world does this happen when it is something you believe in the most? Answer....CBB is not what we thought he was!!

Razorfox

1. How did we go from so fundamentally sound last year to so fundamentally un-sound this year, mostly on the D?

2. Yes.  But I will say, some of those penalties were pure crap.  At least one of the holds was NOT and both of the late hits on their QB were pure BS.

3. Disagree.  I haven't seen any play calls that were just horrible.  In fact, every play that you could point to as "that play cost us the game" was called well and not executed. 

It's on both players and coaches. 

nchogg

[/quote]
Did you hear coach's PC. He spelled 1 and 2 out.  The play calling was good and we had the lead 3. Then 1 kicks in along with 2.

DeltaBoy

Our 5 th SR Qb is not as good as Tech, TCU or even the one playing at Texas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hillhog

along the line of penalties, Collins got shoved from behind after he was well out of bounds and there was no penalty call on A&M

havok

Penalties AND lack of fundamentals were the reason we lost.  If we had performed a little better on either one of those aspects, we win the game.   

Play calling was not the factor.  but do question game prep/scheme on defense, when you see Linebackers Isolated man to man on 4.3 speed receivers in space.

Razorfox

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2015, 08:24:13 am
Our 5 th SR Qb is not as good as Tech, TCU or even the one playing at Texas.

He's as good as they are for 3/4+ of the game.  He looked like a Heisman QB for most of the game yesterday.  He was making the right calls at the line, hitting his passes (wasn't it like 10 in a row or something to start?), scrambling multiple times for first downs.  Again, it was at the end that it all went to heck.  It's a between the ears problem that is his and his alone.  I still like the kid, but it's irresponsible to say that it's on anyone but him. 

racinghog

Quote from: Razorfox on September 27, 2015, 08:27:08 am
He's as good as they are for 3/4+ of the game.  He looked like a Heisman QB for most of the game yesterday.  He was making the right calls at the line, hitting his passes (wasn't it like 10 in a row or something to start?), scrambling multiple times for first downs.  Again, it was at the end that it all went to heck.  It's a between the ears problem that is his and his alone.  I still like the kid, but it's irresponsible to say that it's on anyone but him. 
Maybe we need a relief pitcher?

hogcard1964

Yep, been saying this for a year.

Bielema's a mess.

dbaileyway7

3rd and 3 in overtime on the last drive, and we pass both times. Enough said.   Average Per Rush   5.5

Oliver

Everyday that goes by is a day closer to the end of the Bret Bielema era.  Unfortunately it probably won't occur for a few more years but it will happen.   But just keep that in mind, it's how I stay positive about things.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 27, 2015, 08:36:17 am
Yep, been saying this for a year.

Bielema's a mess.

I thought you said you weren't coming here?

You're fos.
This is my non-signature signature.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: racinghog on September 27, 2015, 08:33:19 am
Maybe we need a relief pitcher?

Start bringing in a closer when the game is on the line.  lol

hogcard1964

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 27, 2015, 08:48:17 am
I thought you said you weren't coming here?

You're fos.

I said I didn't give a shot.  I still don't.   

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawgdawg63 on September 27, 2015, 08:04:57 am
CBB himself in his introduction speech told the HOG national that penalties would be a thing of the past and discipline would return. #2....this is the point that HE has failed on the most all season. How in the world does this happen when it is something you believe in the most? Answer....CBB is not what we thought he was!!

Not a good post.  There is quite a bit of discipline in this program that the last three coaches were woefully lacking in.

A false start and a holding penalty can be corrected.  Failing to go to class, getting kicked out of school for grades or trouble with the law is not something we worry much about these days.

Though you can't see it, we are improving and it will show as the season moves along.

razorbackchamps94

I guess there receiver didn't blow pass our LB for a 60 yard gain in the 4th q ??

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 27, 2015, 09:32:27 am
Not a good post.  There is quite a bit of discipline in this program that the last three coaches were woefully lacking in.

A false start and a holding penalty can be corrected.  Failing to go to class, getting kicked out of school for grades or trouble with the law is not something we worry much about these days.

Though you can't see it, we are improving and it will show as the season moves along.

I think the point he was making is this is year 3. Many of the mistakes are coming from players who have been in CBB's system for two years or more. There clearly has been regression. Now why the regression is the $64k question.

hogmolar

Quote from: dbaileyway7 on September 27, 2015, 08:37:44 am
3rd and 3 in overtime on the last drive, and we pass both times. Enough said.   Average Per Rush   5.5
Play action on 3rd down. Sprinkle wide open.

Poor execution does not equal poor play call. We caught their defense thinking like you that we should be running it just poor execution.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogmolar on September 27, 2015, 09:51:57 am
Play action on 3rd down. Sprinkle wide open.

Poor execution does not equal poor play call. We caught their defense thinking like you that we should be running it just poor execution.

Yep that box was stacked with Aggies waiting for our backs. Of course if we had run the ball and been stuffed the complaint would be we should have passed. The short armed pass was a killer.

pigroots

Hogs played great last night. Penalties are a killer especially for a rushing team which we are. Some were bogus calls. Some were at times when crowd was loud on their end of the field. Not CBB's fault. Brandon Allen played the best game I've ever seen him play outside of the 1 poor throw to Sprinkle. That game could have easily gone either way and sadly didn't go ours. I left encouraged at the state of the program. We need a better D no doubt about that. Offense protected them well last night but you can't let a team drive the field on you as easily as TAM  did last night on 2 occasions. We are not far from being really good. The oline was back last night. Aggies are really good up front but Hogs manhandled them for most part. So much so that A&M at the end was intentionally jumping around up front to try and cause us to jump. Unfortunately it worked on that critical last drive. If anyone was watching closely there was a lot to like about last night outside the final score

WorfHog

We need to pony up for a BIG TIME OC next year.

RonBurgundy

Quote from: ICEman on September 27, 2015, 05:17:24 am
So DBs are supposed to play with their backs turned to the football after all.

Apparently.  It's also frowned upon to put your arms up and try to knock the pass down.

JenksHawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 27, 2015, 05:30:30 am
1 and 2 - I'm with ya. But you lost me on 3. What poor plays were called during critical times? Do you mean the short arm pass that would have gained the 1st down to extend the play? Or the fumble cause the QB had the ball down low ready to be stripped?

Being serious here - what bad play calls?

Or the 4th down pass play that if thrown on time and with some zip leads to a game tieing touchdown (open lane to the end zone if not deflected)

hogginbama

When fatifue sets in, people make mistakes they normally would not make. With injuries and such, we do not have the depth to spell our starters for longer periods of time. That wears them down mentally and physically as the game goes on. Add to that the fact that these kids know they must play almost flawlessly to win each game. With that added burden they are pressing harder to be "perfect" on each and every play, which is also adding to the mistakes in crucial moments.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

sickboy

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on September 27, 2015, 09:43:34 am
I guess there receiver didn't blow pass our LB for a 60 yard gain in the 4th q ??

Their. And yes, of course we were imperfect on defense. We made mistakes. But had we not had the penalties, the entire way the game is played would have been different. There is a script when you plan a game -- and penalties like we got on offense derail it.

Our defense did enough to win the game. They held a team that usually scores a lot more points to a manageable output for our offense to win the game. Had Denver Kirkland not had that false start -- we very well could have won that game, and the 60 yard play by A&M wouldn't have existed.

GoHogs1091

I was all for Clay Jennings to be retained after this season (I have felt after the last 2 games that some other Assistant Coaches should not be retained), but after last night's display of High School level Defensive Back play, I am not so sure Jennings should be retained after this season.

gchamblee

gchamblee

Quote from: WorfHog on September 27, 2015, 10:46:11 am
We need to pony up for a BIG TIME OC next year.

our play calling has been pretty good so far so that would be a ridiculous waste of money

Hawgphish

This.

Pig In The City

Wow we've found our new coach. I didn't think it would be this easy!

rickm1976

September 27, 2015, 01:05:27 pm #40 Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:34:31 pm by rickm1976
Those of you who think we need to replace the coach or JL are out of your minds.  If we fire BB at this point, no decent college football coach would touch the Arkansas job for any amount of money.  You can't coach QB's to not choke up when the game is on the line.  You can replace them, but when you have one who moves the ball up and down the field for 3.5 quarters, it's hard to put him on the bench for the last 5 minutes of the game.  You keep wanting to give him the chance to redeem himself.  You can't coach players to keep their head in the game and not commit stupid penalties either, and don't tell me you can - I played the game.  You can't coach someone to not be stupid.  When you have an offensive lineman who is a giant of a man, and appears to be a great athlete, it's hard not to play him, but when he does stupid things, it's not the coaches fault.  We also had several bad calls against us too.  In year three of BB, we obviously need better talent and depth on defense, and it will come eventually.  BB inherited a program that was as in as bad a shape as one could get.  When you're Alabama in that kind of situation, you can recruit great players quickly enough to turn a program around in a couple of years, but we can't recruit that kind of talent overnight like some can.  I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I'll still give him another year.  I just wish he'd stop shooting his mouth off.  A big mouth is bad enough when he's winning, but when he's not, he just looks like an idiot.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Wasn't there like a 1st and 30 (after several penalties in a row) where we ran a damn draw play for very little gain at all? I was thinking to myself then wth was that crap...
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....