Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zero % Satisfied Last Week, I'm 85% Satisfied Now, AND Optimistic

Started by threeNout, September 26, 2015, 11:44:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

I've been saying it guys, it's a mental thing, spread from the very top down, that little voice deep inside that says "oh no you don't",  and we can't make it shut up, and we can't close the deal in games.

We will get over this hump, eventually, who knows when, I hope soon, I had hoped it would be tonight, we'll have to wait longer.

I'm optimistic because I saw us get back to what we could do to teams last year.  With a hard fighting attitude, the right plays, and RWIII growing better into the 2nd punch role, we were able to physically dominant the #14 team, and we did so with better passing than we had in 2014.

When we all predicted the first game of the year, UTEP, I had us in the 30s, because I knew a change in co-ordinators is never easy, and it's a process.  What an understatement that was.

But tonight I saw us getting back to what we should be able to easily do, how we ran the ball last year.  We had 9 of 11 starters on offense returning, most of them bigger and stronger than in 2014.

Now that RWIII is able to be relied on more, I really like what I saw tonight, straight ahead blocking, wearing teams out and GREAT running by AC, and solid contributions for RWIII.

We marry that running attack of 2014 to the passing game we have been seeing, if we finally get the kinks worked out of the coordinator change, we can still be what we all hoped we would be in preseason.

It was good enough tonight, we just have to get over the mental thing, if we keep improving the team, keep fighting hard, that late game win will come,  maybe in game 11 or 12, maybe next week, maybe sometime in 2016, who knows, but once it does we can turn the corner.

I promoted tonight's game as a chance at playing for the lead in the West, and it was, we played like it in terms of effort.

I'll still maintain that if we can get over this mental hurdle, break-though, within the next game or two, we can still be competitive in the West.  Vandy gave Ole Miss a pretty good scare today, case in point, anything can happen, I want to see us go beat up an already beat up Tenn team next week.

We are not a bad football team, we are a team who has to get the right offensive philosophies combined to the personel we have, and has to learn to win games late.  Encouraged by everything I saw tonight, except for the end.

go hogues

Gonna have to correct the penalties. The 93 we had tonight is unacceptable. The olineman who false started on the last drive where we had the lead most likely cost us this game.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

moses_007

We won two straight SEC games last season and it didn't turn the corner for this club.  We fizzled the very next week against Missouri.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: go hogues on September 26, 2015, 11:48:25 pm
Gonna have to correct the penalties. The 93 we had tonight is unacceptable. The olineman who false started on the last drive where we had the lead most likely cost us this game.

Nahhh....the holding calls and false starts throughout the game KILLED drives, and we should have won by a few TD's.  I think they stopped us once when we didn't have a penalty.  They couldn't stop us...we stopped ourselves.  That's what makes it sting so much, and the players have no one to blame but themselves.  I thought the staff coached a good game. 

We are still struggling at LB, but at least it was better this week, and our tackling was improved.  Holding TAMU to 21 pts in regulation is not bad, and I would have taken that before kick off, and I thought we would score more than that.   

If I'm CBB, this is one game where I don't stand up and take the bullets.  I'm dead serious.  I would place the blame squarely on the players and challenge them to play more focused.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

threeNout

Yes, false starts, missing open WRs, when you had been perfect all game long.

It's mental,  We don't expect to win these close games late, deep down, and you can just watch it fall apart.  It's on the coaches to overcome this, the players will follow,

Something good will eventually happen for us late in a game this year, we'll win, and this mental issue will hopefully go away, I just hope it's soon enough to have a better year than last year.

The strength of opponent we are facing doesn't matter to me, what matters is what WE DO, I believe we are capable of beating anyone on our schedule, home or road, if we just get over the mental hurdle.

code red

This is not logical....we are regressing.  We had them dead to rights up more than 7 points with less than 3 min and puked on our selves.  We are not Vandy.  This leadership is unacceptable and I blame Jeff Long.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: threeNout on September 26, 2015, 11:44:28 pm
I've been saying it guys, it's a mental thing, spread from the very top down, that little voice deep inside that says "oh no you don't",  and we can't make it shut up, and we can't close the deal in games.

This is a huge problem. And the only solution is to win close games. A bit of a catch 22.

threeNout

Quote from: code red on September 27, 2015, 12:00:39 am
This is not logical....we are regressing. 

if you mean from game to game, I disagree,
although we ended both games poorly, I thought we played much better against A&M tonight than we did against TTech last week.

If you mean from season to season we're regressing, the jury is still out on that, 8 games to go. 

threeNout

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 27, 2015, 12:02:53 am
This is a huge problem. And the only solution is to win close games. A bit of a catch 22.

bingo, it'll eventually come.

If we win next week, I don't want to it be by 10+, I want it to be on the last drive of the game.

hoglady

Quote from: threeNout on September 27, 2015, 12:13:21 am

If we win next week, I don't want to it be by 10+, I want it to be on the last drive of the game.

That's the big subplot in the game next week.
They have the same problem we do in closing games out - they can't do it, either.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HogAlum99

Quote from: threeNout on September 27, 2015, 12:11:11 am
if you mean from game to game, I disagree,
although we ended both games poorly, I thought we played much better against A&M tonight than we did against TTech last week.

If you mean from season to season we're regressing, the jury is still out on that, 8 games to go. 

I agree with the jury still being out on the entire season, but if you compare to this time last year, we have regressed. We lost some key players from last years team and we have lost two games already to two teams we should have beat. Trying to feel optimistic right now, but with the uncorrected penalties week after week and a QB who can't play under pressure, I'm having a lot harder time finding the optimism this time.

MissippHog

Quote from: HogAlum99 on September 27, 2015, 12:23:44 am
I agree with the jury still being out on the entire season, but if you compare to this time last year, we have regressed. We lost some key players from last years team and we have lost two games already to two teams we should have beat. Trying to feel optimistic right now, but with the uncorrected penalties week after week and a QB who can't play under pressure, I'm having a lot harder time finding the optimism this time.
One thing that I think is getting lost in the shuffle are the large number of injured players, who happen to be big play-makers as well. 

threeNout

I agree with the jury still being out on the entire season, but if you compare to this time last year, we have regressed.

This time last year we were outplaying A&M and losing, same as this year.

I'd call it about even, I think we started behind of knowing our offensive identity, as opposed to last year, and we started behind because of injuries and players learning new roles, but by game 4, from what I saw tonight, we are about where we were last year, outplaying A&M and losing late.

Games 5, 6 and 7 could've, should've won last year, we'll have our chances again this year, so the jury is still out.

If the offense matures, get's it's identity straight, and RW3 keeps getting better, we can be a better offense than we were in games 5,6 and 7 of last year, because the passing is much improved.

spiritof92

I was so happy about 5 minutes into the 4th.  Kept telling myself "1-0 in SEC". 

pfffttttt

razormed

Quote from: MissippHog on September 27, 2015, 01:00:57 am
One thing that I think is getting lost in the shuffle are the large number of injured players, who happen to be big play-makers as well.

Which of these playmakers have helped win any games?

threeNout

code red

Quote from: threeNout on September 27, 2015, 12:13:21 am

ITS YEAR 3
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DeltaBoy

I'M still Zero% happy year 3 and back to back OT losses to TAMU.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

UAROCKDOG

This is not logical....we are regressing.  We had them dead to rights up more than 7 points with less than 3 min and puked on our selves.  We are not Vandy.  This leadership is unacceptable and I blame Jeff Long.
Who noticed the body language on the side lines at the end of the game?  Here we go again!

DeltaBoy

All I know it my 17 year old Daughter screamed the Hogs lost again, our Qb is not Clutch.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hoggish1

Good post threeNout.

I know a few things after last night.  We can beat anyone on our remaining schedule,

The pups are growing up and biting like we thought—next two weeks will be interesting.

The teams we lost to before last night are pretty darned good.

I finally saw black shoes last night—bodes well for our mental frame work going forward!

WooPig!

Hoggish1

Fine and those are fixable.

OldCoot

We will get over this hump, eventually, who knows when, I hope soon, I had hoped it would be tonight, we'll have to wait longer.

I'm optimistic because I saw us get back to what we could do to teams last year.  With a hard fighting attitude, the right plays, and RWIII growing better into the 2nd punch role, we were able to physically dominant the #14 team, and we did so with better passing than we had in 2014.

When we all predicted the first game of the year, UTEP, I had us in the 30s, because I knew a change in co-ordinators is never easy, and it's a process.  What an understatement that was.

But tonight I saw us getting back to what we should be able to easily do, how we ran the ball last year.  We had 9 of 11 starters on offense returning, most of them bigger and stronger than in 2014.

Now that RWIII is able to be relied on more, I really like what I saw tonight, straight ahead blocking, wearing teams out and GREAT running by AC, and solid contributions for RWIII.

We marry that running attack of 2014 to the passing game we have been seeing, if we finally get the kinks worked out of the coordinator change, we can still be what we all hoped we would be in preseason.

It was good enough tonight, we just have to get over the mental thing, if we keep improving the team, keep fighting hard, that late game win will come,  maybe in game 11 or 12, maybe next week, maybe sometime in 2016, who knows, but once it does we can turn the corner.

I promoted tonight's game as a chance at playing for the lead in the West, and it was, we played like it in terms of effort.

I'll still maintain that if we can get over this mental hurdle, break-though, within the next game or two, we can still be competitive in the West.  Vandy gave Ole Miss a pretty good scare today, case in point, anything can happen, I want to see us go beat up an already beat up Tenn team next week.

We are not a bad football team, we are a team who has to get the right offensive philosophies combined to the personel we have, and has to learn to win games late.  Encouraged by everything I saw tonight, except for the end.

It is getting really sad when we are so apathetic that we are satisfied with a loss.  It is the third year of a coaches tenure and he is 1-4 and some are happy with that.  Even the fanbase has a losing mentality now.

We have lost three out of the last four and two of those were games we should have blown them out.  We ARE a bad team being killed by bad coaching.

Hoggish1

What's not logical is your post and attitude.

You obviously don't understand what you saw last night.  We are not regressing I expect at least four SEC wins this year, maybe five. 

That will be progress and I won't be sitting at the games or in front of my TV hoping for the worst.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: spiritof92 on September 27, 2015, 01:36:24 am
I was so happy about 5 minutes into the 4th.  Kept telling myself "1-0 in SEC". 

pfffttttt

Yea and the Zebras no call a late hit on AC when he was 2 steps out of bounds.

Hoggish1

I agree with the jury still being out on the entire season, but if you compare to this time last year, we have regressed. We lost some key players from last years team and we have lost two games already to two teams we should have beat.

I guess you want to see what you want.

We lost key players off last years team and had some very devastating injuries off this year's team but we are going to come out of it with a positive as the pups have to play and grow up.  don't you see that?

Don't you also see that the two teams we lost to are pretty good.  True, we still should not have lost to them, but it's not the end of the world.

We'll grow up right before your eyes.  Will you see it happen?

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: threeNout on September 26, 2015, 11:57:28 pm
Yes, false starts, missing open WRs, when you had been perfect all game long.

It's mental,  We don't expect to win these close games late, deep down, and you can just watch it fall apart.  It's on the coaches to overcome this, the players will follow,

Something good will eventually happen for us late in a game this year, we'll win, and this mental issue will hopefully go away, I just hope it's soon enough to have a better year than last year.

The strength of opponent we are facing doesn't matter to me, what matters is what WE DO, I believe we are capable of beating anyone on our schedule, home or road, if we just get over the mental hurdle.

Kind of reminds me of CBP saying after a close SEC loss in year 2, "were not mentally ready to win games like this yet, but we will be".  He was right.  Hopefully CBB can tap into that too. 

husker71

After 4 games some are still saying those things (penalties mostly offsides)  are fixable   Why aren't they already fixed as we approach the 1/2 point of our season???   I am a big hog fan but sooner or later the calls for holding and offsides  have got to stop    I know they could call holding on every play but somehow it does not seem to happen as much to good teams   I certainly have not given up but our offense is minus some wide receivers so a penalty will stall it to the point anything over 3rd and 4 is very hard for us to pick up   

spiritof92

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2015, 08:11:38 am

Yea and the Zebras no call a late hit on AC when he was 2 steps out of bounds.

What scared me more than anything was the no-call on the horse collar on Morgan earlier.  It's as if the officials were cool with our players getting hurt.

PossumFan

Quote from: OldCoot on September 27, 2015, 08:09:36 am
It is getting really sad when we are so apathetic that we are satisfied with a loss.  It is the third year of a coaches tenure and he is 1-4 and some are happy with that.  Even the fanbase has a losing mentality now.

We have lost three out of the last four and two of those were games we should have blown them out.  We ARE a bad team being killed by bad coaching.
I don't think anyone here is "satisfied" with loss or "happy" with 1-4 (I guess you've already penciled in a loss to Tennessee). It's possible to see improvement in Saturday night's game without being pleased with the result ... and I think that's where a lot of us are at this point. It's a lot more sensible than calling for Bielema's scalp after two-and-one-thirds seasons or wanting to bench a good, if imperfect, fifth-year starter QB in favor of someone who's never taken a snap in a college game.

threeNout

Quote from: PossumFan on September 27, 2015, 04:30:15 pm
It's possible to see improvement in Saturday night's game without being pleased with the result ... and I think that's where a lot of us are at this point.

well said.

And the biggest point of improvement, and reason to be optimistic I saw, was our re establishing the ability to wear teams down and run on them at will with multiple backs from mid 3rd quarter on.

jkstock04

I've said it once...but it's worth saying again if we would've had that type of game plan and player want to against Toledo we would have won the game and this season wouldn't seem nearly as doomed. Beaten by Texas Tech and A&M...two very good teams (in my opinion) and sitting at 2-2. Wouldn't be nearly this bad. Would still be some reason for optimism.

It's a sad deal really...sad set of circumstances for the fans.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cinco de Hogo

That's crazy, 1-3 and your 85% satisfied AND optimistic!  There is a commercial I hear pretty often about the Dallas Cowboys still calling themselves Americas Team that you need to hear.

Lowering standards is the new "Official American Disease" and your case is fatal.