Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB Stats in the 4Q and OT

Started by Baconomics, September 26, 2015, 11:07:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Baconomics

September 26, 2015, 11:07:46 pm Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:23:03 pm by nesjunk
With 51 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter, the Razorback QB was 19-22 for 220 yards and had just completed a 38-yard pass to the WR.  After that, there were 8 pass plays called:

1. Bootleg.  QB keeps it.  Gains 2.
2. Bootleg.  QB keeps it.  No gain.  (Late hit.)
3. Drop back.  QB keeps it. Gains 1.
4. Drop back.  QB keeps it.  Gains 5.
5. Drop back.  Sack.  Fumble.
6. Drop back.  Complete for 5 yards.
7.  Play action.  Roll right.  Pass short and incomplete.
8. Drop back.  Double pump.  Pass deflected.  Incomplete.

Play #2 may have been a called run.  It's hard to tell.  No one was open on the play.  I'm pretty sure the rest were called pass plays.

Make of that what you will.

Prestworthy

Quote from: nesjunk on September 26, 2015, 11:07:46 pm
With 51 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter, the Razorback QB was 20-25 for 353 yards and had just completed a 38-yard pass to the WR.  After that, there were 8 pass plays called:

Play #2 may have been a called run.  It's hard to tell.  No one was open on the play.  I'm pretty sure the rest were called pass plays.

Looks about right.  Had 0 faith in BA when the game was tied at 21.

kodiakisland

The only stat that matters:  1-3
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Dominicanhog

With 51 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter, the Razorback QB was 20-25 for 353 yards and had just completed a 38-yard pass to the WR.  After that, there were 8 pass plays called:

so he had 353 in  the 3rd but ended with 225?

Auburn

Poor BA, even he doesn't have faith in the QB.

Baconomics

Good catch.  Fox Sports box score was wrong.  I corrected it.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Auburn on September 26, 2015, 11:20:51 pm
Poor BA, even he doesn't have faith in the QB.
I just can't understand the play calling, given BA's history in the 4th.  Collins and RW3 were RED hot.

Baconomics

I thought the play calling was fine.  You need to mix in a few passes to keep the defense honest even when the run game is clicking.  The plays were called, but the passes were never thrown.

swinesation

He got happy feet. On half of those, he had time to make a pass but took off.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Prestworthy on September 26, 2015, 11:50:49 pm
I just can't understand the play calling, given BA's history in the 4th.  Collins and RW3 were RED hot.

Yeah that's why TAMU stacked the box and forced us to throw. On the 1st down in OT they lined up with 7-8 to stop the run.

oldbear

I thought he should have checked out of the deep (7 step) pass on the play that he fumbled. A 5th year quarterback has to see that blitz when everyone in American was sitting and saying here they come. Game breaking play.

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

ChitownHawg

Time to let one of the other QBs try. The worst can happen is we lose and we are already doing that.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PEtrader

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 27, 2015, 06:24:40 am
Time to let one of the other QBs try. The worst can happen is we lose and we are already doing that.

Just put Rafe or storey in a few plays here or
There.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

DiamondHogFan

With 51 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter, the Razorback QB was 19-22 for 220 yards and had just completed a 38-yard pass to the WR.  After that, there were 8 pass plays called:

Sounds like good defense. I wish we had some of that in the 4th quarter and OT.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PEtrader on September 27, 2015, 06:38:15 am
Just put Rafe or storey in a few plays here or
There.

I think AA deserves the first shot. Hard to justify letting a #3 or 4 jump #2.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 27, 2015, 06:44:09 am
That's the hogville way.  Use the 4th string QB, or maybe aven a receiver because they are obviously our best option to win the game.

PEtrader

Give him 3-4 series to show something,  not sure we can handle another Allen.  Not light it up mind you,  just show something. 

PEtrader

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on September 27, 2015, 06:46:18 am
That's the hogville way.  Use the 4th string QB, or maybe aven a receiver because they are obviously our best option to win the game.

Did you see Austin play last year?

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: PEtrader on September 27, 2015, 06:47:30 am
Very limited action.  Played pretty well in a blow out win over Ole Miss to preserve the lead and momentum.

Saw more of Austin than the others...and he is our #2 QB.  #2 means that if #1 goes down, he is the next in line.  Not hard to figure out.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PEtrader on September 27, 2015, 06:47:30 am

Understood, but you do have to show some kind of fairness to the depth chart. To allow players to jump others for NO reason will demoralize the team. They need to know how to climb the depth chart. If in a couple of games AA cannot create the spark and BAis choking in the 4th then move onto the next QB.

At this point with us facing only 3 or 4 wins we give the next guy a shot. We need to show the 2s and 3s they will get a shot if they rise to the occasion.

No first teamer should be allowed to think they can screw up in a game and keep their starting position.

I'm mainly looking for someone who can shine in the 4th quarter.

PEtrader

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 27, 2015, 06:53:24 am
Understood, but you do have to show some kind of fairness to the depth chart. To allow players to jump others for NO reason will demoralize the team. They need to know how to climb the depth chart. If in a couple of games AA cannot create the spark and BAis choking in the 4th then move onto the next QB.

At this point with us facing only 3 or 4 wins we give the next guy a shot. We need to show the 2s and 3s they will get a shot if they rise to the occasion.

No first teamer should be allowed to think they can screw up in a game and keep their starting position.

I'm mainly looking for someone who can shine in the 4th quarter.
There is some validity to that,  but how do we even know who the #2 is talent wise?  This system seems to work based on how long you have been here QB wise.

It will be difficult for any of the other QBs to really show what they got unless you prep them for the job.  What I mean is let them take over the spot and practice for the week coming into the game and be ready, then go with them and see what happens.  I believe BB sees Austin as a riverboat gambler type QB which I guess he doesn't want.  The younger Allen kid has always played decent in the spot duty he has been allowed like scrimmages and when his brother should have been in the hospital.  I suggest he was warned about anything of risk when he did play.  What we do is play not to lose just like Nutt used to do.  How's that working for us over 2 plus years?

I believe John Smith's crew ruined Brandon and then being preached to with this current group about managing the game even furthers the problem.  Brandon shined like a diamond in a goats behind for 3 quarters, then done what he does.  Our coaches do about the same as Brandon.  They cannot find a workable solution in the fourth quarter either.  In truth they fold up too.

code red

this x 1000.  Run Run Run punt and defend the 2 point conversion...you win...that's how you win in the SEC Burt.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: 12247 on September 27, 2015, 07:20:38 am
It will be difficult for any of the other QBs to really show what they got unless you prep them for the job.  What I mean is let them take over the spot and practice for the week coming into the game and be ready, then go with them and see what happens.  I believe BB sees Austin as a riverboat gambler type QB which I guess he doesn't want.  The younger Allen kid has always played decent in the spot duty he has been allowed like scrimmages and when his brother should have been in the hospital.  I suggest he was warned about anything of risk when he did play.  What we do is play not to lose just like Nutt used to do.  How's that working for us over 2 plus years?

I believe John Smith's crew ruined Brandon and then being preached to with this current group about managing the game even furthers the problem.  Brandon shined like a diamond in a goats behind for 3 quarters, then done what he does.  Our coaches do about the same as Brandon.  They cannot find a workable solution in the fourth quarter either.  In truth they fold up too.

If the staff can't develop Brandon Allen after more than two years, I'm not all that optimistic about them developing someone else in a week.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PEtrader on September 27, 2015, 07:04:57 am
There is some validity to that,  but how do we even know who the #2 is talent wise?  This system seems to work based on how long you have been here QB wise.

True. I said give AA two games but that is just a number. Mainly give him a shot. Beginning Monday give the 2 more snaps with the 1s than he normally gets. If he doesn't look ready then Tuesday let 3 try. AA has had the time so he should shine quick with the 1s if he is going to.

Then onto Rafe. I know this sounds chaotic but 1-3 does that to a team. Having said that I don't really care how CBB does it - I just don't want to hear anymore "we are a really good team. We are just keeping it a secret."

Sorry coach we are not a really good team. Good teams don't make the mistakes we make. Time to earn your pay and get the players to bring the practice to the game. If they don't then send in the next person.

It isn't like we need wholesale change across the team. Only a couple of positions.

UAROCKDOG

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 27, 2015, 07:29:25 am
True. I said give AA two games but that is just a number. Mainly give him a shot. Beginning Monday give the 2 more snaps with the 1s than he normally gets. If he doesn't look ready then Tuesday let 3 try. AA has had the time so he should shine quick with the 1s if he is going to.

Then onto Rafe. I know this sounds chaotic but 1-3 does that to a team. Having said that I don't really care how CBB does it - I just don't want to hear anymore "we are a really good team. We are just keeping it a secret."

Sorry coach we are not a really good team. Good teams don't make the mistakes we make. Time to earn your pay and get the players to bring the practice to the game. If they don't then send in the next person.

It isn't like we need wholesale change across the team. Only a couple of positions.

Inhogswetrust

You forgot about the fumble .......it looked like a called pass as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redeye

BA completed 80% of his passes and his QBR was 160.8 for the game.  He's completed 70% for the season and has a 166.6 QBR.  That's not bad at all, but he continues to struggle late in games.  Are those late game struggles his fault or whoever's calling the plays?

Ever since Bielema arrived, we've heard that the players need to learn how to win.  That finally seemed to be happening late last year, but in those 3 big wins against LSU, Ole Miss and Texas, our defense basically shut down the opposing offenses.  In other words, we still haven't learned to win on offense and have lost numerous games by failing to score in the 4th and OT.

The ironic part here is that the 4th quarter is when a power rushing team should excel, after having spent the previous 3 quarters wearing down the opposing defense.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 27, 2015, 07:53:21 am
You forgot about the fumble .......it looked like a called pass as well.
See #5.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: code red on September 27, 2015, 07:22:50 am
this x 1000.  Run Run Run punt and defend the 2 point conversion...you win...that's how you win in the SEC Burt.
I didn't realize our coach was our cornerback.  Defensive faults were on the players, not the coaches.  They were in position until they just decided to stop covering their guy.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hogmolar

Quote from: code red on September 27, 2015, 07:22:50 am
We did do this with 3 minutes left. Punted the ball to the 15 yard line. There are a lot of people at fault I think what the OP was trying to get it is that when needed to step up Allen does not. Play calling did what you are saying, in the 4th quarter and OT we only dropped back to pass 8 times and those were out of necessity because they had 8-9 men run blitzing every time.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogmolar on September 27, 2015, 09:33:48 am
We did do this with 3 minutes left. Punted the ball to the 15 yard line. There are a lot of people at fault I think what the OP was trying to get it is that when needed to step up Allen does not. Play calling did what you are saying, in the 4th quarter and OT we only dropped back to pass 8 times and those were out of necessity because they had 8-9 men run blitzing every time.

every team we play has/will load the box in the 2nd half and see if our QB can beat them... there is a track record to show it works, why not go with a proven recipe. Most coaches arn't that dumb.

hawgbawb

I don't think anyone has confidence in BA to win a close game under pressure. That obviously includes himself.  His worst fear may be having his younger brother take over. Sometimes having your worst fear realized can be a good thing.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

julie

Quote from: nesjunk on September 27, 2015, 12:31:40 am
I thought the play calling was fine.  You need to mix in a few passes to keep the defense honest even when the run game is clicking.  The plays were called, but the passes were never thrown.
. You do not pass on 3rd and 4 when one more first down pretty much gives you a victory if you don't commit a turnover.   That play call on 3rd and 4 was unexplainable considering situation.

hogmolar

Quote from: julie on September 27, 2015, 09:47:42 am
. You do not pass on 3rd and 4 when one more first down pretty much gives you a victory if you don't commit a turnover.   That play call on 3rd and 4 was unexplainable considering situation.
The 2 passes on 3rd and 4th were in OT. The play you are referencing was a 3Rd down run AM timeout then 4th and 3 with a penalty on Kirkland.

Good plan poor execution on your part.

Großer Kriegschwein

That's what has me confused. Possible check down?

I'm not saying it was but????
This is my non-signature signature.

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 27, 2015, 10:20:07 am
That's what has me confused. Possible check down?

I'm not saying it was but????

He has the option to change the play, who knows?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: redeye on September 27, 2015, 08:03:03 am
The ironic part here is that the 4th quarter is when a power rushing team should excel, after having spent the previous 3 quarters wearing down the opposing defense.

Much truth in this.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: julie on September 27, 2015, 09:47:42 am

Except everything worked perfect except BA making the easy pass.

TAMU got caught on the play action and Sprinkle was wide open!  You expect a 5th year senior to make that throw 100% of the time!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2015, 10:20:58 am
He has the option to change the play, who knows?

I'm just sayin with the game Alex and Rawleigh were having, how do you not go to them unless the defense is so poorly set that it almost guarantees you big yardage? We were run blocking VERY well. Garrett had been marginalized until the last drive. Maybe they went to sleep on him and called a pass or the play was changed by BA and protection wasn't set up. I didn't record it, so I have no way of looking at it again.

I just find it very disappointing that we didn't hand the ball off on the fumble play or 3rd and 4th down in OT