Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Feel Sorry for Brandon Allen

Started by NaturalStateReb, September 26, 2015, 09:55:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

I really do. The kid's got heart, and he tries hard. I wish the game hadn't ended the way that it did. Still wondering why Arkansas didn't run the ball once in the last two downs.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Lanny

Talent wins games and Arkansas needs to recruit better.

No way you run the ball on 4th and 4
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 26, 2015, 09:55:12 pm
I really do. The kid's got heart, and he tries hard. I wish the game hadn't ended the way that it did. Still wondering why Arkansas didn't run the ball once in the last two downs.

Pretty much how I feel.  I want to be ticked at him, but I'm just not.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ICEman

Allen fatigue will eventually set in across Razorback Nation as these close loses mount.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

julie

I feel the same.  One has to wonder what he has ever done to deserve this repeated outcome.  It's unbelievable.

Breems

I feel terrible for him. His face at the end of the game was heartwrenching. He deserves to win one of these games but the divine won't have it.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hawgdavis

I do to but he chokes in close games at crunch time thus the loses

ballz2thewall

hell, i do to. some folks just aren't the schizzle. he's just soooo timid. his runs looked pretty good, but when he does that i get the distinct impression that he thinks he's breaking curfew.
The rest of the frog.

razorhog52

I wish he could get just one close win. He is now what, 2-17 in SEC games? Probably will win the Mizzou game on a last second pass ala Casey Dick to finish up our 3-9 season. Just kidding, he'll throw a pick.

Poker_hog

I feel sorry for him too, but it's way past time to move on.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HogNiner12

I agree , he is trying but just doesn't have that "it" factor. There were a lot of other mistakes that cost us the game, but you just can't miss wide open guys like that when the game is on the line. I can see it on his face he really wants to win games, but something just isn't right with him in pressure situations. I really do feel bad for him. He just isn't the guy late in the game.

Danny J

I feel sorry for a lot of people. However they are never actually given a chance like he has to be the hero. They will never be given that chance. At least he has had that chance. What would you give to be given a chance like that?

Ask Matt Jones what he says all the time about a QB and being in the spot light. You take all the credit when you win and the blame if you lose. Except here on HV where you get none of the blame. Everybody else gets the blame. It is the O line. It is the D. The penalties.

julie

Quote from: Lanny on September 26, 2015, 09:57:54 pm

But it was 3rd and 4.  Would have ran it twice.

Dropkick

He's not a difference maker that is gonna win you a game at crunch time. Not his fault I guess he just doesn't have "it".

Razorbacks_77

Quote from: HogNiner12 on September 26, 2015, 10:01:58 pm
I agree , he is trying but just doesn't have that "it" factor. There were a lot of other mistakes that cost us the game, but you just can't miss wide open guys like that when the game is on the line. I can see it on his face he really wants to win games, but something just isn't right with him in pressure situations. I really do feel bad for him. He just isn't the guy late in the game.
This.

hawgsak

Why feel sorry for him? It's him who is choking games away. I feel sorry for the WRs and TEs who can't get catches cuz the balls are thrown at their feet! Simply put...Allen sucks giraffe balls!!!

wachhog

I feel sorry for all the players; especially BA. He could have been so much more in another system; for another coach.

LRrazorback

I agree. Feel sorry for a good kid and better than decent qb

Hogeration

Hawghiggs

I've been posting about recruiting time and again. Why in the hades aren't we going after the top talent in Missouri and Kansas? I get that recruiting sites aren't exact science. But when Clemson and Oregon are making it a priority to recruit Kansas. Maybe we should also. To me it makes no sense. Some of the most highly rated players in Missouri are headed to the Big 10.

rude1

I know I come off as harsh to the kid, but really it isn't his fault. I think what he is missing guys are either born with it or they aren't, you can't coach "clutch". Unfortunately there is enough evidence in that BA does NOT have it, the mystery to me is why the staff hasn't seen this and decided to move on and build the program behind someone else, unless they believe that they have the type of team that can be dependent on to win games by 10+ points, because those are the only ones he wins...

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HogNiner12 on September 26, 2015, 10:01:58 pm

I think the offense trying to melt the clock at the expense of scoring causes the undue pressure. We've seen it multiple times. have a lead late in the 4th. We go into burn the clock mode, end up punting and then they score. Next thing you know the QB has gone from I need to convert a 3rd down to ice the game to, I have 90 seconds to drive the length of the field and win the game. IMO- they need to keep the offense wide open until we are up multiple scores and the other team doesn't have enough time barring a miracle to win.

hoglady

Quote from: Danny J on September 26, 2015, 10:02:50 pm
I feel sorry for a lot of people. However they are never actually given a chance like he has to be the hero. They will never be given that chance. At least he has had that chance. What would you give to be given a chance like that?

Ask Matt Jones what he says all the time about a QB and being in the spot light. You take all the credit when you win and the blame if you lose. Except here on HV where you get none of the blame. Everybody else gets the blame. It is the O line. It is the D. The penalties.

I don't blame it all on Brandon.
He's just not going to be the guy to make the play.
The problem is we don't have anyone who is that guy - a receiver to make an unbelievable catch, a running back to break free for the score, a defensive back to knock down the pass (A&M tonight), some defender to force a fumble. We just don't have anyone so far who can step up at the end of the game to win it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

phadedhawg

My heart was breaking for the kid...wanted him to get get a win tonight and make a big play

GatorHog

Quote from: Danny J on September 26, 2015, 10:02:50 pm

I laughed

TNRazorbacker

We get way too conservative and predictable in crunch time. Playing not to lose will get you beat every time and BB is living proof.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Razor1997 on September 26, 2015, 09:51:10 pm
Brandon Allen has played extremely well the last two years.

The only exception being close games in the fourth quarter.

I really want him to finally pull one out, like he finally pulled out that first SEC win that nobody thought he'd ever get.  It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see it.

I don't think BA is the greatest QB Arkansas has ever had or anything, but here's what so very many of you are really missing the boat on......

When the talent is relatively even, a QB that doesn't pull it out in the 4th has some heat he deserves.

When the talent is superior to you, the other team's players come to play clutch as well, so to overcome that, you need a boatload of luck or a supremely clutch player.

You guys are being way too hard on BA.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

arktravlr

Quote from: Breems on September 26, 2015, 10:00:15 pm
I feel terrible for him. His face at the end of the game was heartwrenching. He deserves to win one of these games but the divine won't have it.
At this point it won't matter.  He got outplayed by a RS freshman when it counted tonight.  That's been the story year after year and one win after the season is now another throw away season won't take any of that away.  The die has been cast...the legacy is set.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

I agree.  I doubt we've ever had an athlete criticized more than he has been and will continue to be.  I feel sick for him and his family.  You know they have to be dying a little more every game.

Bustahog

I feel sorry we don't go with another QB.

transplant12

Arkansas is always going to be limited in its recruiting base because of the size of the state. Also, consider the fact that our best player in Jonathan Williams went out before the start of the year. A lot of this is just misfortune. The only thing that systematically needs changing is the size of the OL (well, the only main thing).

Poker_hog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on September 26, 2015, 10:11:57 pm
I don't think BA is the greatest QB Arkansas has ever had or anything, but here's what so very many of you are really missing the boat on......

When the talent is relatively even, a QB that doesn't pull it out in the 4th has some heat he deserves.

When the talent is superior to you, the other team's players come to play clutch as well, so to overcome that, you need a boatload of luck or a supremely clutch player.

Talent level doesn't matter.  No way Toledo has more talent.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Bustahog on September 26, 2015, 10:13:02 pm
I feel sorry we don't go with another QB.

Why?   So we can collectively RUIN their confidence because of all the Armchair QBs on Hville cause they can't see that when you're outmatched talent wise, it takes a lot of luck and/or supreme Montana-like QB play to actually do what you guys are wanting done?

What then?  Bench that poor turd to make a turd out of yet another QB?

Thank GOD you guys aren't the coaches.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 26, 2015, 10:08:54 pm
I think the offense trying to melt the clock at the expense of scoring causes the undue pressure. We've seen it multiple times. have a lead late in the 4th. We go into burn the clock mode, end up punting and then they score. Next thing you know the QB has gone from I need to convert a 3rd down to ice the game to, I have 90 seconds to drive the length of the field and win the game. IMO- they need to keep the offense wide open until we are up multiple scores and the other team doesn't have enough time barring a miracle to win.

This. We need to keep doing whatever it was that got us the lead. Stay loose and run the offense. We go into this ultra conservative predictable mode in crunch time when we have a lead and we don't execute.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on September 26, 2015, 10:11:57 pm

the problem is, Toledo, TT, and A&M do not have better talent, they all had QB's with the "it" factor.  We do not...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

redeye

I can't say that I feel sorry for Allen, because he had the chance to make plays and didn't make them.  However, knowing that he struggles when it counts, it is confounding how we keep turning to him to do that very thing.

Overall, he played a great game and was the biggest reason why we were even in the game.

Pig Worshipper

Next year, unless that transfer from USC is really good, our quarterbacking will not be as good as Brandon Allen. I hope he can go out a winner in at least two or three more games.

passinghog

Quote from: hoglady on September 26, 2015, 10:09:15 pm
I don't blame it all on Brandon.
He's just not going to be the guy to make the play.
The problem is we don't have anyone who is that guy - a receiver to make an unbelievable catch, a running back to break free for the score, a defensive back to knock down the pass (A&M tonight), some defender to force a fumble. We just don't have anyone so far who can step up at the end of the game to win it.

What would we consider to be the definition of an unbelievable catch by a WR? (Not to bash you). But I think most of his detractors would expect a WR to make an unbelievable catch when the QB is under duress. It's asking a lot of other guys, imo, to bail him out when he doesn't make the simple plays when they're there. If the receiver is open, and the QB isn't under duress, the SR QB has gotta put it on him.

Atlhogfan1

QB is a tough position.  You get the glory.  You get the attention.  You have the ball in your hands every offensive play.  You make plays or you don't.  Two straight seasons vs A&M, a few feet was all that was needed to seal a win.  At some point, a program has to find someone who can do it.  In 2013 and 14, I don't hold the staff accountable as there weren't options.  So far early this season, I understand why we haven't looked for an option.  At 1-3 and another close loss and this month has gone as it has late in games,..........

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 26, 2015, 10:13:32 pm
Talent level doesn't matter.  No way Toledo has more talent.

That was on a lot of areas, not just BA.

Why does everyone NEED BA to become Montana, yet our DL, DBs, LBs, and OL get a complete pass.

BA played WAY well enough to win that game.....And the TTech game.

If you guys are wanting Montana, then I suggest you go into a time capsule, and we'll wake you up in a few decades.
His response to me:

WorfHog

Quote from: Breems on September 26, 2015, 10:00:15 pm

The "divine"  don't have anything to do with it.

Atlhogfan1

I'll say this about talent- A&M is ridiculous with talent.  LSU-like.  It is what makes them even more pathetic.  Losers.  They are the Raiders of college football.  Great looking athletes.  Fast.  They'll produce a lot of NFL talent.  But losers.  Hogs outcoached them and largely outplayed them.  Penalties - some legit and some maybe not  - played a role in A&M getting it to OT and finally they were able to win. Pathetic on their part. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on September 26, 2015, 10:18:22 pm
That was on a lot of areas, not just BA.

Why does everyone NEED BA to become Montana, yet our DL, DBs, LBs, and OL get a complete pass.

BA played WAY well enough to win that game.....And the TTech game.

If you guys are wanting Montana, then I suggest you go into a time capsule, and we'll wake you up in a few decades.

True. If anyone finds Montana, he better have his truck insured.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Pigsknuckles

BA will never make a game winning play. Our current defense will never make a game saving play. We had no business being in this game, but when opportunity availed itself, we were still not up to the task. Statistics mean diddly, so don't throw them up for whatever misdirected rationalizations. We are losers across the board.

If it means anything, it was hard to post this.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 26, 2015, 10:16:16 pm
the problem is, Toledo, TT, and A&M do not have better talent, they all had QB's with the "it" factor.  We do not...

You're wrong.  Toledo no.  TT no.  A&M, yes. 

And read my above post.

BA played more than well enough for these games to be won.

BTW, jack......rabbits, I thought this was supposed to be a ball control, power run offense where the QB is a game manager.  Yet, when the team doesn't get the job done, everyone looks to the QB in the last few minutes to pull one out of his rear end.

I don't get it.  Are we grooming OL's and RB's to run the offense with an intelligent and efficient QB, or are we grooming QBs and lying to everyone.  If it's the former, then why are we so surprised that we don't have the end-game plays, playmakers, and "clutchness" that everyone is screaming for and wanting to blame BA over?
His response to me:

redeye

If you guys think Allen was the problem, then you're EXTREMELY shortsighted.  I'm not an Allen fan, but you're all missing the bigger problems and it's getting fricking tiring.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on September 26, 2015, 10:15:23 pm
Why?   So we can collectively RUIN their confidence because of all the Armchair QBs on Hville cause they can't see that when you're outmatched talent wise, it takes a lot of luck and/or supreme Montana-like QB play to actually do what you guys are wanting done?

What then?  Bench that poor turd to make a turd out of yet another QB?

Thank GOD you guys aren't the coaches.

so Toledo and TT outmatched us talent wise? ha ha

The Boar War

Quote from: wachhog on September 26, 2015, 10:06:45 pm
I feel sorry for all the players; especially BA. He could have been so much more in another system; for another coach.

If he'd just make the wide open throws to Sprinkle rather than short arming them he could have been so much more in this system, for this coach.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on September 26, 2015, 10:22:50 pm
BA will never make a game winning play. Our current defense will never make a game saving play. We had no business being in this game, but when opportunity availed itself, we were still not up to the task. Statistics mean diddly, so don't throw them up for whatever misdirected rationalizations. We are losers across the board.

I actually agree with this.  But having BA doesn't help when we "need it"
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.