Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40s

Started by Peter Porker, February 21, 2015, 03:21:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Porker

I wondwr how many guys got slower in college?

Watching the 40 yard dash, can we please stop saying HS kids are running 4.3s. I know a rare few may, but for the most part they are 4.7 or so kids.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Music City Hog

Hog_Fink

Not saying times dont get exaggerated
But theres plenty of kids that run 4.5 4.6 range
and a lot of speed freaks that hit 4.4 or 4.3 on a good surface
May not always translate on the field though

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 21, 2015, 04:12:31 pm #3 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:27:28 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Yep, I'm still waiting for Chris Baker's 4.3 speed at WR.

In all seriousness we have been blessed with several guys with elite speed in the past

redeye

If they're listed as having 4.3 speed, what should we say they have instead?  I never understood this problem, because we all know stats are exaggerated, so why get hung up on them?

I assume your referring to high school coaches and others who list them inaccurately and we know that's not gonna stop.

Adam Stokes

For those who know, how often does putting on weight affect your 40 time?  I find it hard to believe that you could even put on 30+ pounds of muscle without it slowing you down at least a little bit.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: redeye on February 21, 2015, 04:54:44 pm
If they're listed as having 4.3 speed, what should we say they have instead?  I never understood this problem, because we all know stats are exaggerated, so why get hung up on them?

I assume your referring to high school coaches and others who list them inaccurately and we know that's not gonna stop.

To keep it simple, I just want our guy to out run the other teams guy.
Think, Hogs vs. Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl.

" GO HOGS "

Oklahawg

Times are often in track garb (or even shorts/tshirt) at a combine on turf, if not on a track. Times are often hand-held. Times can also be the low time out of several (with the others being quite a bit higher). Coaches doing the timing may not penalize for a "rocking" start (plenty of other ways a coach can nudge a time lower).

A lot of the speed freaks in HS cannot reproduce it in college with pads on. Muscle mass can hurt times, but some players get speed training and it improves (ie, they have bad technique and run "slow" because of it).

Heights are inflated as well. A lot of weights are adjusted up/down to reflect what they want the player to think about themselves (or opponents, for that matter).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

tophawg19

one of the biggest changes is that in high school many of the kids run track and practice on 40 times . in college they focus on football and technique gets lost and sloppy .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

redeye

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on February 21, 2015, 06:43:28 pm
To keep it simple, I just want our guy to out run the other teams guy.
Think, Hogs vs. Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl.

" GO HOGS "

Same here.  I just wanna hear that our guy is really fast and I'll wait to see them on the field to verify it.  As long as they outrun the opponent, I don't care if they run a 4.3 or a 6.3 in reality.

supersaint

Quote from: Adam Stokes on February 21, 2015, 05:48:37 pm
For those who know, how often does putting on weight affect your 40 time?  I find it hard to believe that you could even put on 30+ pounds of muscle without it slowing you down at least a little bit.
If players aren't getting faster at the same time that they are getting bigger and stronger, then your strength coach isn't doing his job. John Stuckey was a master at this.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Peter Porker

A lot of posters complain when a linebacker is listed at 4.7 or 4.8 and call them "kinda slow for his positio. Can he grow into a DE and keep his speed?"

Or if a RB is listed at 4.6 there's "i wonder if he can play fullback?"

I'm just sayin many are unrealistic about 40 times.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

jgphillips3

4.3 is a nice shiny thing to hopefully get your kid recruited.  The real test is watching a kid blow by other kids (aka Jordan at our camp last year).  If they blow by people who are also fast, especially in pads, that's all you really need to see and there's plenty of video on kids today that's helpful in figuring out who has an inflated time and who does not.  True game speed is obvious.

HogFoo

Ive always thought that players should be tested in full pads. the 4.3 speed deal is just a nice shiny useless bit of info.  that speed never translates to the field hardly ever.  Youll have a thinner player post an insane speed, but then how well do they carry it with pads on the field? and for how long?  Where as youll have the big running back that weighs in around 220lbs + and run a 4.5 or 4.6 but at the end of a game is still running that same 4.5 or 4.6  and actually may run as fast or equal as the thinner player once he has pads on.

With that said, every now and then youll just have a freak like Bo Jackson that weighs 242lbs and then runs a 4.27    Of course we all had our freakish athlete Matt Jones who bulked up to like 248lbs was nearly 6'7 and runs a 4.37 which at the time was the fastest ever recorded at the QB position at the NFL combine ( mike vick did not run it at the combine)   Dmac actually ran a 4.27 that was later adjusted to a 4.33
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

bennyl08

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 22, 2015, 08:17:59 am
A lot of posters complain when a linebacker is listed at 4.7 or 4.8 and call them "kinda slow for his positio. Can he grow into a DE and keep his speed?"

Or if a RB is listed at 4.6 there's "i wonder if he can play fullback?"

I'm just sayin many are unrealistic about 40 times.

Well, a lot of NFL people complain about running backs who run a 4.6 or worse or LB'ers who run 4.8+ as well. Look at the Nebraska guy. He ran in the 4.6's and is barely 200 pounds. LB'er is a bit more nuanced in that there are more roles asked of you. You may be a glorified DE in which a 4.85 isn't bad. However, if you are a 230 pound OLB, you should be running faster than that. It's not the end all be all by any means, but if you have a slow 10 yard split and forty time, that will hurt your draft stock. From a fan's point of view, we ideally want kids who are going to be highly coveted and successful in the NFL. It doesn't mean a person can't be successful in college, or even the NFL, if they don't meet that, but that's the standard to which many hold.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 22, 2015, 11:18:11 pm
Well, a lot of NFL people complain about running backs who run a 4.6 or worse or LB'ers who run 4.8+ as well. Look at the Nebraska guy. He ran in the 4.6's and is barely 200 pounds. LB'er is a bit more nuanced in that there are more roles asked of you. You may be a glorified DE in which a 4.85 isn't bad. However, if you are a 230 pound OLB, you should be running faster than that. It's not the end all be all by any means, but if you have a slow 10 yard split and forty time, that will hurt your draft stock. From a fan's point of view, we ideally want kids who are going to be highly coveted and successful in the NFL. It doesn't mean a person can't be successful in college, or even the NFL, if they don't meet that, but that's the standard to which many hold.

Big difference between adults that have had 5
3-5 years of college strength and speed training and 17-18 year olds.

The_Iceman

I think the Shuttle time is much more important for Linemen.

Peter Porker

The best players have never been the fastest. Look at Jerry Rice, or more recently JJ Watt.