Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Devin White (not RB)

Started by jpsand, February 16, 2015, 07:41:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsand

Devin white is a 6' 1" 235 lbs running back/ linebacker from Springhill la. Springhill's city limits is the Arkansas state line.  The town is not all LSU.  The only thing wrong with this kid is the coach says he is a 5 star linebacker but he needs the production at running back so bad he hasn't really worked with him at linebacker much. This is a coaches dream.  A big, fast, strong running back with a great stiff arm and excellent balance.  We have to get him into the weight program at Arkansas.  The sky is the limit when you can get a kid that is already freakiest and turn him into an animal.  Just to get you and idea.  Last year he put 5 guys out of games hurt and he was running the ball.  He shows warm on our recruiting list.

http://www.prepforce.com/video/7642/2016-rb-lb-devin-white-2014-season-highlight-remix

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jpsand on February 16, 2015, 07:41:13 am
Devin white is a 6' 1" 235 lbs running back/ linebacker from Springhill la. Springhill's city limits is the Arkansas state line.  The town is not all LSU.  The only thing wrong with this kid is the coach says he is a 5 star linebacker but he needs the production at running back so bad he hasn't really worked with him at linebacker much. This is a coaches dream.  A big, fast, strong running back with a great stiff arm and excellent balance.  We have to get him into the weight program at Arkansas.  The sky is the limit when you can get a kid that is already freakiest and turn him into an animal.  Just to get you and idea.  Last year he put 5 guys out of games hurt and he was running the ball.  He shows warm on our recruiting list.

http://www.prepforce.com/video/7642/2016-rb-lb-devin-white-2014-season-highlight-remix

Already on him.

http://247sports.com/Player/Devin-White-33099
Go Hogs Go!

Scott7703

This kid is a big time player. Hope we can get him. He is a definite impact guy.

Hoggish1

Devin may be the back BB needs for the next four years—a bigger, faster JWill...

The kid is like a runaway train! WPS

Hawgzinbowlz

Devin white...

Jared Cornelius cousin...

He currently tops my recruit want list for the 2016 NSD.

No player is a program maker or breaker...and with that in mind, Devin would bring the measurables for CBH and CBB/New RB Coach to develop into a HAMMER.

" GO HOGS "

FrozenHam

His speed is impressive, particularly with his size!  Those shoulder pads and that body remind me of Herschel Walker.  I like Herschel.

Vantage 8 dude

February 16, 2015, 09:18:05 am #6 Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:03:07 pm by Vantage 8 dude

I'm personally familiar with Springhill as I had an aunt and uncle who lived there for years. Not that far over the state line. The closest town of any size in Arkansas is Magnolia. However, Shreveport/Bossier City would be the largest cities close by (If you don't count Plain Dealing, La. lol)

Northern Louisiana is an interesting area of contrasts. On the one hand, not surprisingly, there's a ton of LSU support. On the other, the state has an almost divided cultural feel to it. Jokingly a lot of folks in the Monroe, Shreveport, Rustin area say they're almost considered "Yankees" by many of their Cajun brethren who live further south. While the city of Monroe has its own Mardi Gras celebration every year, I'm told it has a different, somewhat more subdued feel to it than does some place like New Orleans.

Let's just hope there's enough of a difference in how young Mr. White feels when it comes to his college allegiance(s). Definitely looks like a kid we could use.

passinghog

TazorTusk

His video reminds me of Earl Campbell, but the speed may be more like Herschel Walker.

Can you imagine how many yards he would rack up behind our maturing offensive-line behemoths...?

Something worth hoping for.

It would be interesting to know how many hours will be spent following him by HV members over the next year.
Shucks, I'd settle for knowing how many hours only I will spend following him.  :)

Tazor

CallThoseHawgs

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on February 16, 2015, 08:46:25 am
Jared Cornelius cousin...

He currently tops my recruit want list for the 2016 NSD.

No player is a program maker or breaker...and with that in mind, Devin would bring the measurables for CBH and CBB/New RB Coach to develop into a HAMMER.

" GO HOGS "
Based on recent years I don't know if it even helps having family on the team or even at the UofA

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: CallThoseHawgs on February 16, 2015, 11:35:12 am
Based on recent years I don't know if it even helps having family on the team or even at the UofA

It is no guarantee but it certainly shouldn't be a negative.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/jan/28/wed/?f=recruiting
Another article by RD... Devin has visited Jared here on 'The Hill'.

I'm thinking we need an outstanding RB Coach hire and continued success/improvement in the coming season for Devin to be interested enough to come here.

" GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on February 16, 2015, 11:57:46 am
It is no guarantee but it certainly shouldn't be a negative.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/jan/28/wed/?f=recruiting
Another article by RD... Devin has visited Jared here on 'The Hill'.

I'm thinking we need an outstanding RB Coach hire and continued success/improvement in the coming season for Devin to be interested enough to come here.

" GO HOGS "

One thing the kid can be assured of in our system is that if he is as good as advertised once he lands on campus, he is going to get a LOT of touches. Only problem is, LSU can say that from the 2007 through 2014 NFL draft, they have put 9 RB's in the NFL. We have only put 5 in, but we are just getting started. We may have 2 go from the same backfield next year.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 16, 2015, 12:08:32 pm
One thing the kid can be assured of in our system is that if he is as good as advertised once he lands on campus, he is going to get a LOT of touches. Only problem is, LSU can say that from the 2007 through 2014 NFL draft, they have put 9 RB's in the NFL. We have only put 5 in, but we are just getting started. We may have 2 go from the same backfield next year.

LSU is hot on Devin...according to several reports. As has been discussed elsewhere, our new RB Coach will have the responsibility of doing everything possible with getting both of our RBs into the NFL. Both JWill and AC will get a look see at the next level, and our future with the Florida pipeline is connected to AC finding an NFL home.
We need a hotrod RB Coach with NFL experience, or at a minimum, great success in putting his RBs into the NFL (per CSP and his OL history).
I would imagine that CBB would shave his head, with his arm around Devin, if Devin were to come on a recruiting trip with a shaved head (or at least CBB would pull on a shaved head cap). It seemed to work with Merrick and the 'Fro. lol
Seriously though, Devin is the kind of back that would be very effective in the SECW poundings we will be handing out behind our improving OL. It would be nice for Nicky and Les baby to watch him go and not be able to do anything about it.

" GO HOGS "

Huds_HawgTide

how many lsu running backs have been drafted first round? how many have been on the cover of madden? how many have won the doak walker? how many 1,000 yd rushers?
dont tell me lsu is a more attractive running back school...they get studs and all but we get the real stars
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

logand02

Running backs taken in Draft since 2005. Did not include pure Fullback.

LSU
Rd   Overall   

2   55   Jeremy Hill           Cincinnati Bengals   
6   181   Alfred Blue           Houston Texans

6   194   Spencer Ware   Seattle Seahawks

3   73   Stevan Ridley   New England Patriots

6   200   Charles Scott   Philadelphia Eagles

3   69   Jacob Hester   San Diego Chargers

1   30   Joseph Addai   Indianapolis Colts

Arkansas

3   96   Knile Davis   Kansas City Chiefs

1   4   Darren McFadden   Oakland Raiders
1   22   Felix Jones   Dallas Cowboys
7   227   Peyton Hillis   Denver Broncos

Huds_HawgTide

good info...we have had 2 more play via free agents...and hillis would of been a 3rd to 4th rounder had he not of had a fued with nutt...anywho our 7th rounder made the cover of madden...our 2 first rounders were all americans...they have more ppl but we have had elite backs...thats one position for 2016 im not afraid to go into louisiana and compete with the tigers for...they are loaded and we are two but with our top 2 likely gone in nfl draft next yr(which will add to that list)
i think it is 50/50 all the way  with white and like our chances
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

redeye

True, but LSU can't say ESPN recently named them Running Back U.

Danimal

Looks like a beast. Didn't see a 40 time. Anyone know?

BigE

BigE

I'm from springhill and yes its about 99% Lsu fans especially since they all jumped on the bandwagon after lsu won national title but there are a few serious Hog fans!! Mainly my brother D. Miller myself Big E and my boy J.Wheeler And we would benefit greatly from this young man Devin white becoming a HOG!! :razorback:

texas tush hog

He is reportedly an LSU fan, but has made several trips to Fayetteville to watch his cousin Jared play, so we will just have to leave it to the coaches. But then if we run off Michael Smith, as many on this board would like, it might be counter productive.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Not trying to be different or squash dreams... but this team is about the O-line...

"Use our big cornbread boys and just stick a rb behind them" -BA at a booster event.

Melvin Gordon was a VERY lightly recruited 4 star... He is another ron dayne. Might, could, perhaps bust in the nfl.

The better of the two was James White... A smallish 3 star.

"One DAY" you guys will realize we already have what we need in the RB depth. We can "Rally" to this fact for "3" years.

We will get a RB next year... This one? I dunno and I don't care. We will stick someone behind the road graders and he will succeed.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Potosihog

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 16, 2015, 07:50:24 pm
Not trying to be different or squash dreams... but this team is about the O-line...

"Use our big cornbread boys and just stick a rb behind them" -BA at a booster event.

Melvin Gordon was a VERY lightly recruited 4 star... He is another ron dayne. Might, could, perhaps bust in the nfl.

"One DAY" you guys will realize we already have what we need in the RB depth. We can "Rally" to this fact for "3" years.

We will get a RB next year... This one? I dunno and I don't care. We will stick someone behind the road graders and he will succeed.

I don't entirely disagree with this.  But if we can put a DMac behind the line we are developing it is definitely better than if we put a Dennis Johnson back there.  No disrespect intended to DJ.  He was a fine back.  But when you put a guy back there with elite break away speed it is huge in a strong running attack.  I still fondly remember teams stacking the box and when DM broke through he was gone. 
We can have an effective running game with good backs behind a great line.
We can have an unstoppable running game with great backs behind a great line.
Add to that receivers that can seperate and catch and a QB who hits them and you have a complete offense that can't be stopped.  Will we get there?  I don't know.  Can we get there? You bet.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: Potosihog on February 16, 2015, 08:13:06 pm
I don't entirely disagree with this.  But if we can put a DMac behind the line we are developing it is definitely better than if we put a Dennis Johnson back there.  No disrespect intended to DJ.  He was a fine back.  But when you put a guy back there with elite break away speed it is huge in a strong running attack.  I still fondly remember teams stacking the box and when DM broke through he was gone. 
Add to that receivers that can seperate and catch and a QB who hits them and you have a complete offense that can't be stopped.  Will we get there?  I don't know.  Can we get there? You bet.

Interesting... and Ill have to think about it. Im actually just not sure that if you have 5 road graders if it matters enough to get worked up over the RB. Yes Dmac might be the greatest Hog of all time.... but with an sec dominant O-Line would his 5 stars be wasted (not so much wasted but perhaps not as noticeable of a difference from DJs output and 3 stars)? maybe. Ill need to think about this.

Great post. Thanks for making me think.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Huds_HawgTide

tommy boy

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Potosihog on February 16, 2015, 08:13:06 pm
I don't entirely disagree with this.  But if we can put a DMac behind the line we are developing it is definitely better than if we put a Dennis Johnson back there.  No disrespect intended to DJ.  He was a fine back.  But when you put a guy back there with elite break away speed it is huge in a strong running attack. I still fondly remember teams stacking the box and when DM broke through he was gone. 
Add to your breakaway speed a BYOB (Be Your Own Blocker) RB and you have high level talent who can/will Be His Own Blocker, when there aren't any more blockers in front of him. JWill is excellent at this and AC is improving. This consistently gets added yardage, after initial contact, and can result in a long run occasionally, when the last tackler doesn't get it done. The better RB, the better chances for team success.
The premise that we would/should concentrate on the OL and not place emphasis on excellence at the RB position (settling for average/it doesn't matter who the RB is behind our big OL) would get a good belly laugh from CBB. I'm lol every time I think about this.
An SEC championship team requires 1st, 2nd and 3rd string players where there is very little drop off in performance AND EACH position is manned by championship level talent.
Settling and accepting mediocre/average players, at any position, will produce mediocre/average team results.
Pursuing and developing excellent players, and depth, AT EACH POSITION, is our only possibility of fulfilling what CBB wants to give us.
I've been watching this game since the early '60s and excellence is required, AT EACH POSITION...anything less will produce lesser results.
It's a very simple equation...and it is entertaining while waiting on our new RB Coach to be named. A good question for the new RB Coach..."should we settle for average RB because our OL is so good and it doesn't matter who we plug into the RB spot?"

" GO HOGS "

redeye

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 16, 2015, 08:32:48 pm
Interesting... and Ill have to think about it. Im actually just not sure that if you have 5 road graders if it matters enough to get worked up over the RB. Yes Dmac might be the greatest Hog of all time.... but with an sec dominant O-Line would his 5 stars be wasted (not so much wasted but perhaps not as noticeable of a difference from DJs output and 3 stars)? maybe. Ill need to think about this.

Great post. Thanks for making me think.

The way I see it is that we don't really need a great RB, but if we'd had one last year, we may have won a couple more games.  We don't rely on fast skill players breaking long runs, because you don't control the clock that way, but it's nice to have that speed when you need it.  We may have won games against Alabama, MSU or A&M if we'd had a RB with better speed and were willing to trade minutes for points in the 4th quarter of those games.

justmakeit2thebcs

More money to be made in the NFL at LB.   Short lifespan at RB.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: redeye on February 16, 2015, 11:02:35 pm
The way I see it is that we don't really need a great RB, but if we'd had one last year, we may have won a couple more games.  We don't rely on fast skill players breaking long runs, because you don't control the clock that way, but it's nice to have that speed when you need it.  We may have won games against Alabama, MSU or A&M if we'd had a RB with better speed and were willing to trade minutes for points in the 4th quarter of those games.

JWill was plenty fast enough against A&M.  Skipper just had the trips. 

Darren DeLoach

He was at the Patterson announcement earlier.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

ChiTown27

In the end, I agree with ArmyofNobunga because the goal is to focus on dominating the lines. After that, quarterbacks have time to throw, receivers have time to get open, and holes magically open up for the runningbacks. Our three stars begin to look like four and five stars. Now, if we have that dominant of a line AND a Felix/DMac/Hillis backfield..... woah. That's big! On the flip side, our Dline dominance will start to require double teams, keeping the OLinemen off of our linebackers. The thought of this brings happy tears to my eyes. Opposing offenses will require max protect, leaving minimal skill players out there. I love it.
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

rlamb

One thing that might help is LSU will have a stud RB returning. While on paper we won't, looks to be wide open for a freshman to come in and play.

MuskogeeHogFan

Ask any coach if he thinks that he needs a great RB. You always want a great RB. You may not always have one that everyone perceives as being "great", but you always want to have one and they always help you, especially if you have a really good O-Line.
Go Hogs Go!

ChicoHog

I agree with a lot of what you say here except for comparing Gordon to Ron Dayne.  Dayne was a really big guy while Gordon is much smaller and athletic.  Gordon is the top RB coming out this year according to most of the experts and I think he will do well in the pros.  Dayne was just too big and not quick enough. 

Pork Twain

Ture, but CBB can say "I've" also put X in the NFL.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 19, 2015, 09:28:06 am
Ask any coach if he thinks that he needs a great RB. You always want a great RB. You may not always have one that everyone perceives as being "great", but you always want to have one and they always help you, especially if you have a really good O-Line.

Exactly.  I think we have some great RB's already, but we lack one with great speed.  That's not necessary for our system, but I still think it would be beneficial.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 19, 2015, 09:54:07 am
I agree with a lot of what you say here except for comparing Gordon to Ron Dayne.  Dayne was a really big guy while Gordon is much smaller and athletic.  Gordon is the top RB coming out this year according to most of the experts and I think he will do well in the pros.  Dayne was just too big and not quick enough.

Yeah good point.

----
Also I think I agree with the other guy that replied to me... It took me a week to percolate the thought. Yes. You are right. The better running back we can get behind a monster o-line the better. Mainly because getting big time players helps other recruits pick us (I think).

I am not sure if I am going to lose a lot of sleep on the RB position. But I think I was wrong in my first thoughts. Devin White.... come on down.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 19, 2015, 03:58:11 pm
Ture, but CBB can say "I've" also put X in the NFL.

Yeah, he can, but from 2007 through 2014 Wisconsin had a grand total of 3 RB's drafted. Arkansas had 5. LSU had 8, and all under the same HC. As much as I hate to admit that about Les Miles, it is nonetheless true.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 19, 2015, 09:28:06 am

Always. An excellent OL will make an average back successful and the same line will make a great back exponentially better...along with the team.
CBB is making an all out effort to recruit excellence at every position as he has great clarity that we cannot focus on excellence within some areas of the team and be satisfied with average anywhere on the field.
Devin would be an A+ get.

" GO HOGS "

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 19, 2015, 05:32:59 pm
Yeah, he can, but from 2007 through 2014 Wisconsin had a grand total of 3 RB's drafted. Arkansas had 5. LSU had 8, and all under the same HC. As much as I hate to admit that about Les Miles, it is nonetheless true.
That is true but no recruit is going to give a coach credit, for another coach putting players in the NFL.  So far CBB has not put any RBs in the NFL from Arkansas.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

mbonner

Quote from: BigE on February 16, 2015, 07:39:49 pm
I'm from springhill and yes its about 99% Lsu fans especially since they all jumped on the bandwagon after lsu won national title but there are a few serious Hog fans!! Mainly my brother D. Miller myself Big E and my boy J.Wheeler And we would benefit greatly from this young man Devin white becoming a HOG!! :razorback:

I'm not sure on the 99%. I would say maybe 70/30 LSWHO. The kid is a BEAST. There are a lot more HOG fans in this area than it seems. I've lived in this area since 79.

31to6

He also rushed for 2500+ yards at 7.5 ypc.

Whether or not he busts in the NFL has nothing to do with the reality that he was a beast in college.

hoghiker

Ole Miss fans seem to think he's a lock for the Grove. Per another board. In fairness, the Miss folks are in a pessing shout out match with LSU over who gets him. Both seem to think he theirs. Arkansas not mentioned.

fantana

I was actually born in Springhill and have a lot of family still there...not that it matters

razorback44

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 20, 2015, 07:59:31 am
That is true but no recruit is going to give a coach credit, for another coach putting players in the NFL.  So far CBB has not put any RBs in the NFL from Arkansas.

I think you would be surprised at how many high school kids actually would.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 20, 2015, 07:59:31 am

Well, he put Kiero in the NFL, but he's a FB.  IIRC, coach B hasn't had a RB to send to the NFL.  He's only had AC and JWill, both of whom are underclassmen. 

rangertaunton

Ran into Devin yesterday in Springhill,LA as I was visiting a good friend of mine that lives and works there. I was decked out in hog gear as usual and a manchild walked up to me and said that he liked my razorback hoodie. I finally put two and two together and figured out who I was talking to. Let me tell you,this kid is a man child at 16 years old! Told me he had a cousin on the team and was looking forward to visiting him soon in Fayetteville. I point blank asked him what our chances were to get him on the hill next year and he smiled and said he can def see himself playing for CBB bc of his penchant for putting rb in the league and he knows he would get plenty of touches with one or two backs leaving. He doesn't see the same type of pt at LSU bc of the many many backs they have on campus and just signed and also hearing rumors that les may be gone after this year if he doesn't produce wins with the talent they have. I told him it was good to meet him and he said that if I go to hog games that I may just see him again. I can only take that as good news bc he is def interested in us. He said we are in top 2
Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

GEO-HOG

Sounds promising. Thanks for the info

OnTheHillHogFan

His cousin is Jared Cornelius
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"