Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Duwop's brother Ahmir Mitchell is #8 WR in country...why no offer?

Started by Hoggy Bear, February 13, 2015, 09:41:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

jgphillips3

I thought everyone knows CBB doesn't offer until he sees you in person.  That's why no offer. It isn't an oversight.  Until this kid camps here or works out for CBB/assistant coaches or some such, there won't be an offer.

yraciv

This is big news. Got to think he has spent some time watching his brother on campus, and Duwop is clearly someone who could have easily transferred out but clearly has enjoyed his time at the University of Arkansas. I have to think we'll offer.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

EndoeNova

Zen_Hog

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-670181704966087293/football-recruiting-ahmir-mitchell-brother-of-damon-mitchell-sees-recruitment-take-similar-path/

Next month, Mitchell will join his brother – who he calls his father figure – at Arkansas to inspect the campus and take in their spring game. Damon Mitchell was a 20-offer prospect out of Cedar Creek, who signed with the Razorbacks in 2013

Sounds like nothing but positives

hogcam

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 13, 2015, 10:03:26 pm
I thought everyone knows CBB doesn't offer until he sees you in person.  That's why no offer. It isn't an oversight.  Until this kid camps here or works out for CBB/assistant coaches or some such, there won't be an offer.
That is not true

bulldog04

I wonder if CBB moving Duwop to WR when he was recruited as a QB will hurt our chances.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogcam on February 14, 2015, 01:06:50 am
That is not true

It is the rule.  Yes, you can find an exception, but they have to be evaluated by our staff in person before they get an offer.  At first that irked me, but I completely understand now why they do it that way.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 13, 2015, 10:03:26 pm
Porter Gustin says hi.

Choctaw Hog

That is not true

It is 99% of the time.  Bielema and staff do an outstanding job of vetting players and that's why we have very little off-the-field issues and face to face is the best way to something like that.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on February 14, 2015, 07:56:30 am
Porter Gustin says hi.

I'm sure he did when Bielema visited him face-to-face. 

IronMountainHog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on February 14, 2015, 07:56:30 am
Porter Gustin says hi.
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on February 14, 2015, 08:26:28 am
I'm sure he did when Bielema visited him fact-to-face. 
he did not visit or workout for them. they watched him play basketball.

OGR69

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 14, 2015, 07:56:28 am
It is the rule.  Yes, you can find an exception, but they have to be evaluated by our staff in person before they get an offer.  At first that irked me, but I completely understand now why they do it that way.
I know for a fact that is not true. We have a kid at our school who has never been to a camp at Arkansas, never met CBB, never met CSP, yet has an offer. Coaches have seen tape of him on defense yet offered him as an OL, a position he has never played. Great kid,  but he has never performed for the coaches and they have not seen him play in person-especially OL.

ricepig

Quote from: OGR69 on February 14, 2015, 08:53:46 am
I know for a fact that is not true. We have a kid at our school who has never been to a camp at Arkansas, never met CBB, never met CSP, yet has an offer. Coaches have seen tape of him on defense yet offered him as an OL, a position he has never played. Great kid,  but he has never performed for the coaches and they have not seen him play in person-especially OL.

That's correct, the "must visit, must see" to get an offer pretty much goes for in-state offers that would be impossible to rescind. We offer a lot of guys sight unseen, but they are more conditional offers.

Huckleberry Pig

he and jordan jones would make quite a pair at wr.  obviously he will be one to follow as having his brother here should give us a great in

forrest city joe

Quote from: bulldog04 on February 14, 2015, 06:52:08 am
I wonder if CBB moving Duwop to WR when he was recruited as a QB will hurt our chances.
Maybe. but the key to having a chance of getting his brother is getting him on the field. if he would agree to move to FS, i really believe he could get on the field more. he is not going to play QB here. that is over.and he could not break into the top 5 or 6,WR this past year. but it was his first year at WR so maybe he will improve. but the bottom line is this. if Duwop does not start getting any playing time. his brother is not coming here.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Hoggish1

Quote from: Zen_Hog on February 14, 2015, 01:04:52 am
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-670181704966087293/football-recruiting-ahmir-mitchell-brother-of-damon-mitchell-sees-recruitment-take-similar-path/

Next month, Mitchell will join his brother – who he calls his father figure – at Arkansas to inspect the campus and take in their spring game. Damon Mitchell was a 20-offer prospect out of Cedar Creek, who signed with the Razorbacks in 2013

Very positive!  He shows an interest in Arkansas on Rivals and is just waiting for camp workout to take place before coaches offer.

Hoggish1

It's the smart way to go about giving an offer.  I'm really impressed with how our coaches do things!

The other way to do it is to kiss the @sses of the recruiting magazines...

Pig in the Pokey

probably no offers because he's a class of 2017 kid. Jesus, guys, let the kid get his first pimple before you have him all signed up.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 14, 2015, 10:24:57 am
probably no offers because he's a class of 2017 kid. Jesus, guys, let the kid get his first pimple before you have him all signed up.

He's 2016.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Zen_Hog on February 14, 2015, 01:04:52 am

Of course you do realize that the article was from 2014?

mhuff

That is not true

There are rare exceptions where athletes are offered without stepping foot on campus.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: mhuff on February 14, 2015, 11:10:37 am
There are rare exceptions where athletes are offered without stepping foot on campus.

Like when they offered Duwop?

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on February 14, 2015, 08:30:37 am
he did not visit or workout for them. they watched him play basketball.

Even better at making my point.  Vetting a player could mean watch him interact with his teammates on the court, perhaps talk with a teacher or two about his character, etc.  You'll noticed I didn't mention anything about his abilities.

Most anybody can determine if a player has ability or not from film, talking with his coach, etc.  But, it takes skill to ferret out those who will or will not fit with a coaching philosophy like Bielema has.  It's much like hiring someone to fill a job.   

PharmacistHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 14, 2015, 09:27:45 am
Maybe. but the key to having a chance of getting his brother is getting him on the field. if he would agree to move to FS, i really believe he could get on the field more. he is not going to play QB here. that is over.and he could not break into the top 5 or 6,WR this past year. but it was his first year at WR so maybe he will improve. but the bottom line is this. if Duwop does not start getting any playing time. his brother is not coming here.

That may be right, but I highly doubt it. And if we HAVE to get his brother on the field ( even if he's not the best player in a particular position) then we don't need his little brother. Enough with the "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours". I don't think coach B will go for that kinda crap anyway. I'll be disappointed if he did.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 14, 2015, 01:54:53 pm
That may be right, but I highly doubt it. And if we HAVE to get his brother on the field ( even if he's not the best player in a particular problem) then we don't need his little brother. Enough with the "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours". I don't think coach B will go for that kinda crap anyway. I'll be disappointed if he did.
he was already offered before they ever saw him in person.

forrest city joe

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 14, 2015, 01:54:53 pm
That may be right, but I highly doubt it. And if we HAVE to get his brother on the field ( even if he's not the best player in a particular position) then we don't need his little brother. Enough with the "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours". I don't think coach B will go for that kinda crap anyway. I'll be disappointed if he did.
I agree with you on that. he has to earn his way on the field. and maybe he will. time will tell.all i am saying, if if big brother can't get any playing time. little brother will not be coming here. that's my opinion.

Zen_Hog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 14, 2015, 10:58:22 am
Of course you do realize that the article was from 2014?

Does that change the fact that Ahmir looks up to Duwop has a father figure?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Zen_Hog on February 14, 2015, 03:55:03 pm
Does that change the fact that Ahmir looks up to Duwop has a father figure?
Not necessarily; however, there was a comment about how he's supposedly planning on making a visit "soon". Perhaps he still is, however, the article is still dated in some respects.

Tim Harris

No it is not.  We have guys that are on the fringe that they make come in for a visit so they can get true measurable and form their opinion but most of the guys holding offers right now haven't been to campus or the coaches see more than game film/high light tapes.  MOST kids have to visit to be able to commit but that is all.  Offers go out all the time.

Here is everyone reporting an offer with 247.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Offers

Do you think we have seen everyone of them on campus or play in person?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 15, 2015, 03:24:48 pm
No it is not.  We have guys that are on the fringe that they make come in for a visit so they can get true measurable and form their opinion but most of the guys holding offers right now haven't been to campus or the coaches see more than game film/high light tapes.  MOST kids have to visit to be able to commit but that is all.  Offers go out all the time.

mods is there anyway this 2016 list could be stickied
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

whosiskid

You do NOT have to visit to get an offer. What you DO have to do is visit before you are allowed to commit to Arkansas. There are dozens of kids who have gotten offers from Arkansas who have not visited. Think about how often you see stories where we offer a kid and they say they will try to visit Arkansas sometime in the summer. But it is different with committing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

jkstock04

If Bielema can convince a top 100 out of state receiver to come here I'll be shocked. Kid has one heck of an offer list early in the game, that's for sure.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

oldhawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 15, 2015, 03:24:48 pm

Just realized that when I looked at the list, I immediately scrolled down to the lineman before looking at players in the skilled positions.  Paradigm shift?

JackJohnson

Quote from: whosiskid on February 16, 2015, 04:48:18 pm
You do NOT have to visit to get an offer. What you DO have to do is visit before you are allowed to commit to Arkansas. There are dozens of kids who have gotten offers from Arkansas who have not visited. Think about how often you see stories where we offer a kid and they say they will try to visit Arkansas sometime in the summer. But it is different with committing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

When did Willie Sykes visit?

Tim Harris

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 17, 2015, 06:36:43 am
When did Willie Sykes visit?

He hasn't.  People get so hung up on us making a few kids visit.  The rules doesn't apply in all cases or to all players.

TexasRazorback

Just curious, alot of yall think we have a chance on this kid, I know he has named his top 8 (Jan 27, 2015) schools and Arkansas is not one of them. Crazier things happen in recruiting where a school comes in late and snags a kid, but from the looks of 247, he has no interest in us besides that his brother goes here. Also he has already visited according to that article and we are still not in the top 8

hawgsmellgud

I would assume that this is like an in-state recruit. We saw last year how Coach B was very careful with offering Pettway, and I think KJ. He doesn't want to burn any bridges with in state guys. I think the same could be said with the brother of a current player. Coach doesn't want to offer the guy and then have to politely tell him to look elsewhere.

Coach B is the anti-Nutt in so many ways with the most glaring being that he treats every player with the same respect (I have heard countless stories from guys that played under Nutt, and how different he treated each player based on them being a star or not. I probably dislike more for this than anything else.) Even though Duwop isn't getting a lot of playing time Coach still cares about him, and doesn't want to upset him by offering and not taking his brother.

Just my thoughts.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

jgphillips3

Quote from: whosiskid on February 16, 2015, 04:48:18 pm

That is a good point and distinction.  Perhaps I should have said to receive a "commitable offer".  I didn't word that well.

DCHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 16, 2015, 05:18:41 pm
If Bielema can convince a top 100 out of state receiver to come here I'll be shocked. Kid has one heck of an offer list early in the game, that's for sure.

Well he has already done that at least once with Jo Jo Robinson.  He was top 40 IIRC.

Tim Harris

For everyone saying you have to visit to commit can you please explain this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Khalia-Hackett-146121

Hackett committed a couple months before visiting.

WriterWrong

I was looking at his offer list and the limeline of his offers. When you click on each offer in the timeline it brings up "+4".

I can only imagine when you get an offer from FSU, they add 4 points to your overall rating score  8)

That said, when the Hogs offer, I expect to see -6 attached along side it.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 17, 2015, 07:55:42 am
He hasn't.  People get so hung up on us making a few kids visit.  The rules doesn't apply in all cases or to all players.
He was on campus for a camp the summer before his senior year though.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Tim Harris

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on February 17, 2015, 06:51:58 pm
He was on campus for a camp the summer before his senior year though.

This article disagrees.

Linebacker Khalia Hackett committed to Arkansas on July 29 without the benefit of seeing the campus.

I'm not trying to continually derail the thread but it gets thrown around so much that we won't offer or won't let you commit without visiting but it just isn't true.  Some kids who may not be at the top of the list or might be questionable could have that rule but it isn't black and white like some on here want to make it.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 17, 2015, 07:16:24 pm
This article disagrees.

Linebacker Khalia Hackett committed to Arkansas on July 29 without the benefit of seeing the campus.

I'm not trying to continually derail the thread but it gets thrown around so much that we won't offer or won't let you commit without visiting but it just isn't true.  Some kids who may not be at the top of the list or might be questionable could have that rule but it isn't black and white like some on here want to make it.

This.

I'm getting tired of reading it, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 17, 2015, 07:16:24 pm
This article disagrees.

I was talking about Sykes
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"